Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Skyway ride.

Skyway ride.

I went to Disneyland a few days ago and I saw that the Skyway ride building was still there. I never noticed this before. It was chained off so I got as close as I could and took a picture. I thought it was kind of cool ... just sittin there ... like it was long forgotten.

Last edited by christine11276; 12-08-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Found another pic.

• Lion

Re: Skyway ride.

That area is starting to look a bit run down with the plant overgrowth. The WDW was the same way for quite a while but was finally removed.

Here's some video from outside the DL station after the Skyway closed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Crwy8gG8iA">

• Minion

It always makes me sad, seeing that. I loved the Skyway ride. If I could bring one ride back to Disneyland, it would be that one. Going through the Matterhorn was awesome!

• Senior Monorail Minion

I'm telling you, if they were to clean the area up slightly and add some fresh paint, it would be a fantastic location for a new PFF. There's more than enough room inside the building, it has a very whimisical feel which can only be added to with queue music and special lighting, a pre-exisitng gift shop at the bottom. There are only two problems: 1) ADA access. This could be solved through a moving 4x4 platform up the hillside on the far right for wheelchairs. 2) Queueing Area. The area below the chalet is fairly cramped now. To make room for a queue, I would remove the gift stands around the entrance and keep only a few by the exit. The right side of the Village Haus patio would be removed to widen the path and an alcove would be created where the existing gift shop is to hold the extended queue. If that were to ever fill, the queue could run down the Big Thunder Trail, looping back from the entrance to the BBQ.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

• Insomniac

Meh it serves a purpose at least (location to feed the feral cats). The pm tracks, fort wilderness, stage 17, the motor boat cruise station or some other unused areas are more offensive to me. Although if they could somehow find a way to place a restaurant up there that would be fantastic! Or even a bathroom. Heck I'd even take a freakin meet and greet over a cat feeding area... But there are so many other areas that need to be looked at before the skyway station.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I'm telling you, if they were to clean the area up slightly and add some fresh paint, it would be a fantastic location for a new PFF. There's more than enough room inside the building, it has a very whimisical feel which can only be added to with queue music and special lighting, a pre-exisitng gift shop at the bottom. There are only two problems: 1) ADA access. This could be solved through a moving 4x4 platform up the hillside on the far right for wheelchairs. 2) Queueing Area. The area below the chalet is fairly cramped now. To make room for a queue, I would remove the gift stands around the entrance and keep only a few by the exit. The right side of the Village Haus patio would be removed to widen the path and an alcove would be created where the existing gift shop is to hold the extended queue. If that were to ever fill, the queue could run down the Big Thunder Trail, looping back from the entrance to the BBQ.
    Exactly! Then they can keep the princesses off of Main Street and behind the castle where they belong.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Insomniac

At least all we are losing for FF is a little bit of theme and possibly jazz dancing. WDW is losing their Snow Wite in the name of meet and greets. But really a meet and greet should not ever replace something that serves a purpose.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Can anyone explain how to get to this location ? The sky way was gone by the time I have vivid memories of the park. And I can't for the life of my picture where this stairway is. I think I'm having a brain fart....

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by QueenBee View Post
    Can anyone explain how to get to this location ? The sky way was gone by the time I have vivid memories of the park. And I can't for the life of my picture where this stairway is. I think I'm having a brain fart....
    Directly opposite the main entrance to the Village Haus. I think it's just to the left of the Casey Jr.

---------- Post added 12-09-2011 at 08:32 AM ----------

Daveland has loads of pictures of the skyway. If you scroll down to the very bottom of the page at the link below, you'll find several pictures of the abandoned fantasyland skyway station from recent years.

Daveland Disneyland Skyway Photo Page

• Dont make me unfriend you

I was a CM when the Skyway was closed. I miss the ride. I'm sorry I couldn't take my kids on it.

After the ride was closed, when I was in the area and had the chance, (as a CM) I would run up to the old FL station and stand in the doorway where the buckets entered and left the building. It was a great sight. Since it was up higher than ground level, it was a great view. It was really neat especially early in the morning just before sunrise.

Name:  skywayfant_yungul1956fantasyland.jpg
Views: 1311
Size:  63.4 KB

• Infinitized!

I miss the Skyway too, although I get my fair share of gondola and chairlift rides in the winter during ski season.

I'm with a PP - if I had to pick between PM or the Skyway I'd pick Skyway hands down. I loved that ride! I liked the People Mover; but it was more of a 'we're tired, let's ride the People Mover!' kind of ride.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    At least all we are losing for FF is a little bit of theme and possibly jazz dancing.
    But could have been so much more had Disney not let it deteriorate to its current state. It could still be a nice charming food venue. Instead, it is just a bunch of tables during the day.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

They should bring back the Skyway, but instead of it ending in Tomorrowland, just have it make a turn and continue on into DCA and end at a station in Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

[QUOTE=simba;1056672452]That area is starting to look a bit run down with the plant overgrowth. The WDW was the same way for quite a while but was finally removed.

Here's some video from outside the DL station after the Skyway closed.

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Crwy8gG8iA">

That is such a neat video! I wonder if the person just walked over (or under) the chain. I'm too scared to do it. The last thing I want to do is to get in trouble at DL. Personally, I don't think it's an eyesore to see stuff like this. It is sad BUT it's also pretty neat to see remembrances of long ago rides. It would be neat to see it turned into something as well!

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast