Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Do You Consider Space Mountain to be a "Walt Disney" Attraction?

Disneyland's version of Space Mountain didn't debut until more than ten years after Walt's passing. Around 1964, it was being flirted with and in 1965-66, concept drawings were being made but soon after Walt's death, it was put on hiatus and went through some big changes. I see this to be similar to the Haunted Mansion which did not open until about 2 and a half years after Walt. All Walt truly saw the exterior Mansion and various concept arts but soon after he left us, it went through big changes in design yet we still consider it to be a 'Walt Disney" attraction.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Do You Consider Space Mountain to be a "Walt Disney" Attraction?

I say yes, it's Walt's. He had the idea to produce Space mountain so it's one of his babies that he died before he saw it come to fruition.
    Last edited by aashee; 12-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.

• Down Pluto!

Of course I do.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Minion

It's in the Walt Disney Family Museum model of the "Disneyland of Walt's Imagination", that's good enough for me.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

absolutely 100% 1 bazillion times yes

• All-American

Yep, I usually consider Space Mountain the last of the Walt Disney attractions. Just as I would consider Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and the Country Bear Jamboree as Walt Disney attractions, since he had a hand in their design even though they opened after his death.

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Someone mentioned that Pinocchio's Daring Journey was an idea of Walt's before he passed, is that true?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Minion

Don't know the answer on Pinocchio. But I also consider Space Mountain to be a "Walt attraction," and in fact the last one.

• Senior Minion

^ What them guys said.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    Someone mentioned that Pinocchio's Daring Journey was an idea of Walt's before he passed, is that true?
    Pinocchio is certainly an older idea than the 1983 Fantasyland it opened with. It dates back to at least a 1970s-era concept known as Dumbo's Circusland (info here), championed by Tony Baxter. As to whether it dates back a further ten years to Walt's lifetime, I have no idea.

• Disneyland History Lover

I agree that Space Mountain is a Walt Disney attraction. Perhaps they should have named it Walt Disney's Space Mountain when it opened. Or perhaps not. None of the Tomorrowland attractions nowadays bear his name.

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE View Post
    I'd imagine that Walt considered several of his animated films for Fantasyland dark rides, so I'd have to guess so. As far as actual concept art and such, that's harder to know if he had a hand in them. The ride more or less follows the movie, so it's a bit harder to say than if it were an original attraction.

• Disneyland Man

Absolutely Space Mountian was a Walt Disney creation. He had John Hench designing it since at least 1964, when it was known as "Space Port". It was called "Space Mountain" by summer 1966, while new Tomorowland of 1967 was being built (months before Walt's untimely death that Dec.). For many years the designs included riding on the outside of the peak, before they decided to keep it all indoors. The entire original Disneyland complex, know as 'Spaceport' was an energetic synthesis of spaces, combining the unique ride-in-the-dark with an amphitheater, food service, and gaming arcade into a surprisingly tight area. The queue for the main attraction went right through the front and center up a ramp, keeping waiting riders in the middle of the dining, dancing and performance action going on all around them. It was always much more than just a ride, but an experience....Walt style.

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    - - Walt Disney

• Minion

ofcosere i do think of sapce mountion as walt disney actrion
    I have a problem with dyslexia, but if you will please bear with me, I would love to participate in the conversations here at MiceChat. Thanks for your understanding! - Matthttp://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo[URL=http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDisneylandfan4ever?feature=mhumfeature=mhum#p/u"]http://www.youtube.com/user/matt4mickey123?feature=mhum#p/u[/U- Mattșoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șoș șo[disneyland repctive of the wedsday show dca eathen brithday 282 by mickeyfan4ever1234, on Flickr

• DLR Cast Member

Deeming something a "Walt" attraction comes with a great deal of subjectivity. On a technical apsect, yes, I consider SM it a Walt attraction. But practically, no, I don't, due simply to the fact that it's quite dissimilar from what he envisioned. But that's just me. Then again, if I apply that to the Haunted Mansion, it would be the same thing (technically yes, practically no). This is due to the fact that Walt saw the exterior and some interior concept art for HM, but the lion's share of the HM was designed without Walt's input at all. Yet it's considered by most to be a classic "Walt" attraction. Similarly, we don't consider "The Little Mermaid" to be a "Walt" film, despite the fact that Walt was heavily developing a TLM movie shortly after Snow White.

Absolutely... Walt probably had hundreds of ideas on file at the time of his passing, and left us with a great team of people to execute them.

Plus, if you're going to put "Mountain" on any Disney ride, it had better be up to snuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast