Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Moving to Disneyland next year!

I agree with Westsider--"Disney" means WDW, and when I saw "I'm moving to Disney" I initially thought you were on the wrong forum . It's actually one thing that drives me bonkers--that 99% of the time when someone says Disney they mean WDW. Most people say Disneyland, Dland, or the Park. *shrug*

Like PAD, I live within a few miles of the park. Honestly I'd give up the idea of walking to work. The apartments within a mile radius of the park are pretty bad and not in the greatest of neighborhoods. I'd stay North of Katella and East of West St. (Disneyland Dr.). Keep in mind too that you could be on your feet quite a bit as a CM, and a 2-mile trek when you're off isn't going to seem all that attractive. Many CMs take the OCTA bus. It's not at all uncommon to see costumed CMs waiting at bus stops along Harbor, like at Broadway and Lincoln.

In SoCal, you're going to be in your car A LOT, so you might as well live in a nice, safe area a few miles away. As Westsider said, Fullerton isn't a bad option if you're young and want to live near the colleges. Whatever you do, you'll want to check out apartments in person before signing anything. Look for bars on windows and such in the building or in nearby buildings, and so on.

---------- Post added 12-11-2011 at 04:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GeeVee View Post
    Ahhh, but we still have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim​..........lame.
    Which every single person in Anaheim hates!

• Minion

"Disney" = WDW?

Is that a Mice Chat thing? Just curious.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeVee View Post
    Ahhh, but we still have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim​..........lame.
    Which every single person in Anaheim hates!
    And all of those in LA, too.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Saying you are "going to Disney" is what tourists from the Jersey Shore (or Jersey Shoaahr) say when they go on vacation to Disney World after securing Magical Express baggage tags and 24 different Dining Plan reservations 180 days in advance for three bad meals a day and two snacks.
    Not sure why the hate for WDW diniing. Some of the best restaurants anywhere are at WDW. Disneyland probably leads the way with Napa Rose, but the California Grill and Narcoosee's are right up there as great places to dine.

No one says "SoCal" unless they are from "NorCal".

Pet peeve of mine. Can you not say the word southern? Also never say "hella" and say "the" before freeway name. It's the 101 to the 405. Not 101 to 405. Aggh nails on a chalk board.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'm with you on the freeway thing. But I say SoCal all the time, and I'm from Texas.

Never said hella in my life, though . . . . .

The use of "the" is interesting. When I lived in L.A., I gladly adapted the "the". But when moving back to my hometown in Northern California, I dropped it (to avoid confusing my fellow natives) I've always wondered where the "the" begins -- Bakersfield? Santa Barbara? Oxnard? LOL

I don't know what rent or apartments are like up in Washington, but Fullerton where I live is a college town (CSUF and Fullerton JC) about 10 minutes north of Disneyland where a lot of young Disneylanders live. Lots of apartments with decent rent here, and a lot of nightlife (bars, cafes, shops, nightclubs, concert venues) in downtown Fullerton.
    I was looking at Fullerton but can't ever find any good info on what the rent is like. I also tried to access CSUF's housing help website but you have to be a student to see their listings :P I'm fairly young and looking at living near the college scene, not for parties but more for the safer atmosphere with better rent.

Can you (or anyone) give me any pointers on where to look in/around that area? Where should I go for listings? What is rent like?
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Blew By You

Interesting post. I'm making some plans for retirement and moving to Orange County is one among many ideas, and maybe working at Disneyland in my old age. Hope you don't mind me picking up a few tidbits of info.
    Any way for you and your husband to come down and check out areas of Orange County before moving day?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    No one says "SoCal" unless they are from "NorCal"
    My family has been in Southern California for six generations, back to the mid 1800's, and we always say "SoCal" as an abbreviation for Southern California. Although we do say the full "Southern California" phrasing as well. I have never neard anyone say "NorCal", but I hear "Northern California" or "up north" often.

---------- Post added 12-11-2011 at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    "Disney" = WDW?

No, it's in use often with tourists back East talking about WDW on other WDW centric boards. Check out wdwmagic.com forums and its full of Easterners and Midwesterners giddy with excitment over their next trip "to Disney" when they really mean Disney World. Their heart is in the right place, bless 'em, but they just don't get why they are wrong.

In California if you are going to Disneyland you say you are going "to Disneyland".

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    "Disney" = WDW?

Nope. We went to WDW last February and on their vacation planning DVD, they referred to themselves as "Disney." And that was a Disney product. I have never heard anyone East of the Rockies refer to WDW as anything other than "Disney."

And the border for adding "the" to freeway names is the Tejon Pass .

I have to agree that the areas directly around Disneyland are a bit older. Thinking about it, they were build about the same time Disneyland was in the mid late 1950's. So yes, they are bit out of date, but yea, some of the neighborhood are safe.

I do have two bits of advice. 1. If you find a grafti free area, keep driving until you start to see grafti again. If the middle is far enough away from the graffti, figure it may be far enough away from any negative elements. 2. If you liked the coffee shop culture of Seattle, you may want to look into the Chapman College area of the City of Orange. It is in the Old Towne area of Orange, lots of resturants, small shops, a waffle shop, some really great gelato, cute apartments, and it's only about 5 to 10 minutes to Disneyland.
    Cynthia

Quote Originally Posted by vikingbead View Post
    a waffle shop, some really great gelato, cute apartments, and it's only about 5 to 10 minutes to Disneyland.
    Cynthia
    Bruxie is amazing and there's one in Downtown Brea as well. Must try the other stuff around Downtown Orange as well though. Haha.

In regards to housing around Fullerton, I used to live in the Tribeca apartments located off of Yorba Linda and Placentia. It's right off of the 57 fwy. It's kind of pricey (Rent for a 2 bedroom 2 bath was about $1600ish) but it is gated off and in a nice neighbor hood right next to several shopping areas. Parking for guests can get tricky though in the city of Fullerton so be aware of that. There's also University Village, which are the apartments right across from CSUF. I would say rent is around $1000-$1200 ish? Not too sure. It's decent, but expect parking to be very limited and also plan on it being noisy seeing as how most of the tenants there do attend CSUF.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    No one says "SoCal" unless they are from "NorCal".
    You haven't heard the incessant commercials for SoCal Honda Dealers? They make me crazy!!

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    $850 for a 1 bedroom actually sounds extremely reasonable! (But then, I pay $1,100 for a 475-square apartment in San Jose, CA)
    I've always heard that area is expensive to live in,
    so I too thought the quoted one bedroom sounded low.
    I'm kinda shocked to hear it only runs that much in CA.
    On the same note
    I wouldn't pay that much for one bedroom.
    I pay about 100 more for a 1586 sq ft house (3 bedroom, 2 bath and den).

---------- Post added 12-12-2011 at 01:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    $850 for a one bedroom in the slums of Buena Park. Most decent apartments are gonna run $1,100-$2,000...
    That sound more like it

---------- Post added 12-12-2011 at 01:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Most people say Disneyland, Dland, or the Park
    From AZ and I say either of the three

Also do "the"
    take the 101, the 202, the 10 etc (yes AZ freeways)
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 12-12-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast