Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Curiouser

Smile Moving to Disneyland next year!

First, I want to apologize if I've posted this in the wrong place! I may have joined MC 4 years ago, but I'm still a noob >.<

My husband and I have plans to move to Disney next summer/fall from Seattle, with the intention of working at Disney. (Some of you may even remember me from threads I've posted like this 3 years ago when I was trying to move with my best friend!) We're both aware that full time jobs, and jobs in general, are tough to come by, etc. but we're willing to take a risk. We're having a difficult time finding apartments within a close proximity to the parks (in a dream world, we'd walk to work) as we're not too familiar with addresses or streets. Noise wont' bother us, as we live about 5 minutes from an air force/army base and hear mortars and jets on a daily basis. If anyone could tell me specific apartment complexes or streets with a variety of options, that'd be wonderful!

If anyone has any tips on applying/interviewing from out of state, that would be helpful too. We're prepared for any flight we made need to take to interview in person.

Thanks everyone!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: Moving to Disneyland next year!

Sounds great, and the rent there can't be beat at around $1.26 per day
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

The cost of living in OC is EXTREMELY high. I would really reccomend that you apply for and find jobs before moving. Rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is going to run you about $850 a month...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    The cost of living in OC is EXTREMELY high. I would really reccomend that you apply for and find jobs before moving. Rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is going to run you about $850 a month...
    Yes, rent is the same where we live, but thank you for the warning. We are planning on applying/interviews before we move, sorry for not making that clean in the OP.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Good luck! I hope everything works in your favor

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 17goingon3 View Post
    Yes, rent is the same where we live, but thank you for the warning. We are planning on applying/interviews before we move, sorry for not making that clean in the OP.
    In that case, good luck! Anaheim and the rest of OC is a great place to live!
    WELCOME ABOARD

As someone who may be looking for apartments in/around Anaheim in 8 months or so, I'm going to watch this thread and hope that many other Micechatters have good advice to give
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Banned User

Hi there and what a big decision to make to come to Disney and O.C.....but all in all a good one. First you need to find a place, now I live 3 miles from the park so its very nice for me to get to work. Second you need to apply at Disney, now right now Disney is in a hiring frenzy to bring on 2000 CM because of Cars Land opening and due to so many CM'S going to that land. I have referred 4 friends and 2 mice chatters and all of them have been scheduled interviews.
    You can apply at The Walt Disney Company Home | Jobs and Careers and go from there but when you meet your recruiter they are looking to HIRE. I really do not know which would be best for you since you live in Washington. I do not know if moving here first then applying or applying and then moving.
    I wish you the best and if you do move here WELCOME TO ORANGE COUNTY.

HAVE A MAGICAL DAY

P.A.D

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    $850 for a 1 bedroom actually sounds extremely reasonable! (But then, I pay $1,100 for a 475-square apartment in San Jose, CA)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Keep in mind that rents for $850 per month in Washington are more likely to get you something much nicer and in a better neighborhood that rents for $850 in Orange County.

Also since you will be moving here, note that no locals ever refer to Disneyland as Disney. It's always referred to as Disneyland. Just to give you a heads up as to the local lingo since you'll be moving here.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Werner View Post
    $850 for a 1 bedroom actually sounds extremely reasonable! (But then, I pay $1,100 for a 475-square apartment in San Jose, CA)
    $850 for a one bedroom in the slums of Buena Park. Most decent apartments are gonna run $1,100-$2,000...
    WELCOME ABOARD

$1800 for 2 bedroom here, about an hour north. Rip off.

I'd love to live in grand California. Can't imagine rent on that!

• Minion

Moving to Orange County, Lesson #1:

Saying you are "going to Disney" is what tourists from the Jersey Shore (or Jersey Shoaahr) say when they go on vacation to Disney World after securing Magical Express baggage tags and 24 different Dining Plan reservations 180 days in advance for three bad meals a day and two snacks.

If you are a West Coaster and you are going to Disneyland you just say you are "going to Disneyland". Never use the word "Disney" as a place name Noun, or people will think you are visiting from the East Coast and you don't know any better.

Moving to Orange County, Lesson #2:

I don't know what rent or apartments are like up in Washington, but Fullerton where I live is a college town (CSUF and Fullerton JC) about 10 minutes north of Disneyland where a lot of young Disneylanders live. Lots of apartments with decent rent here, and a lot of nightlife (bars, cafes, shops, nightclubs, concert venues) in downtown Fullerton. Orange is also nice, but a bit more adult than Fullerton, still with a funky and vibrant downtown area near a very good college (Chapman University) with good nightlife. The neighborhoods due south or west of Disneyland property are sketchy but cheaper, and they aren't very nice. Due north or east of Anaheim offers much better areas if you are looking for something within a 5 to 10 mile radius.

Moving to Orange County, Lesson #3:

Once you have found your new home in Orange County, never, NEVER say that you live in "Los Angeles". That's even worse than calling Disneyland by the name "Disney". Only use the phrases "Orange County", "Southern California" or "SoCal", or simply the name of the OC town you live in like "Fullerton". Los Angeles is a different place and culture, much like San Francisco or Seattle or Cleveland. You may go up and visit LA occasionally if you are so inclined, and even admit in polite company that you went up there, but NEVER mention Los Angeles in any reference to your home or community here in Orange County.
    Last edited by Westsider; 12-11-2011 at 03:28 PM.

• Minion

I was a Tomorrowland/Fantasyland Attractions guy for 10 years. My friend was in Fantasyland Attractions for 10+ years. Both Annual Passholders now.
    When she throws me out an invite to the park, or I do the same, we will reference it as "Disney." Or more commonly, "the Park."
    Have heard numerous other fellow, former CMs do the same.
    We all worked there at various times during the late 70s through mid 90s though.
    So maybe there's a new etiquette now.
    We're all Orange County natives too, so I guess we've been breaking some major rules here. LOL
    Last edited by CASurfer65; 12-11-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Moving to Orange County, Lesson #3:

Once you have found your new home in Orange County, never, NEVER say that you live in "Los Angeles". That's even worse than calling Disneyland by the name "Disney". Only use the phrases "Orange County", "Southern California" or "SoCal", or simply the name of the OC town you live in like "Fullerton". Los Angeles is a different place and culture, much like San Francisco or Seattle or Cleveland. You may go up and visit LA occasionally if you are so inclined, and even admit in polite company that you went up there, but NEVER mention Los Angeles in any reference to your home or community here in Orange County.
    Ahhh, but we still have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim​..........lame.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast