• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: The Disneyland Hotel sign is gone 12-14-05

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Legs
    The moon tonight since I had the camera out

Lovely, forlorn photos. As always, thank you for
    sharing your wonderful work with us.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I agree with Monorail Man. And I'll miss looking up and seeing those familiar, comforting letters. I hope they can use them someplace else, like maybe low along the parking structure, rather than seeing them end up on e-bay with the rest of our lost culture.

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Lovely, forlorn photos. As always, thank you for
    sharing your wonderful work with us.
    Thanks

• All you need is LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    I agree with Monorail Man. And I'll miss looking up and seeing those familiar, comforting letters. I hope they can use them someplace else, like maybe low along the parking structure, rather than seeing them end up on e-bay with the rest of our lost culture.
    Well seems like a lot of Disney classic items end up on ebay ..I mean I love ebay but when it come to Disney I want some thing to stay the way they are.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Well said! I couldnt agree more.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I have now said this on three post, I think they are keeping the same font just getting a new sign. I don't know why anyone would stay at the DLH theres not much interest left to the place, FW show is gone, the waterfalls are supposidly going along with the koiponds, the arcade is gone and the hotel is just not the same.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Sad, so very sad

When landing at night into LAX I would always look for the hotel signs because they were so bright, prominant and RED! Thats how I could easily pick out where the park was. Now what the hell am I suppose to look for?!

Re: Last Look at The Disneyland Hotel Sign

I think it's sad too!

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Sad, so very sad

When landing at night into LAX I would always look for the hotel signs because they were so bright, prominant and RED! Thats how I could easily pick out where the park was. Now what the hell am I suppose to look for?!
    look for the Knott's sign on topp of Supreme Scream then you will know Disneyland is close to there...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

If the usual cycle with this sort of "historical" stuff occurs... they'll replace the letters with a "New, Modern!" sign for about 20 years... then tear it down and replace it with a costly reproduction of the sign they just took down as a "Celebrating Our Proud Heritage" move.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    If the usual cycle with this sort of "historical" stuff occurs... they'll replace the letters with a "New, Modern!" sign for about 20 years... then tear it down and replace it with a costly reproduction of the sign they just took down as a "Celebrating Our Proud Heritage" move.
    Ahhh, yes - progress - removing the last vestiges, symbolic as a sign like that might be - of what the Disneyland experience used to be like. Now we have a "resort".
    I'm sure that years from now we'll wax poetic about that beautiful parking structure. And the (for many of us) largely forgettable theme park built on the old lot. And gridlock on Main Street - and that's just from the CM's apparently leaving the Park in droves.
    Yeah, I know - it's just a sign.
    This is Southern California, after all. Anything that isn't torn down after 20 years is considered an historic landmark.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Red Face Re: Last Look at The Disneyland Hotel Sign

Progress, schmogress. It's still depressing. Here's hoping for a new sign.

In the mean time, any of the rainbow chatters wanna organize a field trip to John Stamos' home to help him buff his new letters?
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by fantasywatersfreak
    I don't know why anyone would stay at the DLH theres not much interest left to the place, FW show is gone, the waterfalls are supposidly going along with the koiponds, the arcade is gone and the hotel is just not the same.
    Guess what, there is a generation or two of folks that don't even know that those things were there in the first place. They come to stay at a hotel at the DLR and go to Disneyland!

BTW I spoke to two CMs at the DH concierge desk this evening who were equally bummed about the sign coming down. Chad cited the City of Anaheim's signage requirements that the old sign did no longer meet. He also mentioned that they'd had to go to great measures to get the ToT signage approved by the city.
    One of the Security guards at the DH didn't even notice that it was gone (I feel safer already...) so I told him I wanted to be the first one to report it as stolen. He started whining about having to go up and take photos for his report, apparently he hates paperwork.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• The answer is 42

I understand the concept of progress; however, losing that sign still breaks my heart a bit. There are just some things about the park & it's environs that are classic and should remain, including that great big "D" atop the Disneyland Hotel...especially since its partner from in front of the park is now in John Stamos' backyard.
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a dark side & a light side and it binds the Universe together.

• Drunk On Disney

It really seems like Anaheim is not very supportive of Disneyland. Orlando, on the other hand, seems to bend over backwards for WDW.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that way.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast