Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Launch sequence engaged

Re: Last Look at The Disneyland Hotel Sign

^Sometimes I wish someone would just take a bulldozer, go over every non-Disney building (Convention Center included), so that Disney could have SPACE.

Either way, I do remember those signs from my childhood, and it is a bummer to see them get taken down, but I don't think it's going to translate into a negative guest experience.

They may not notice the hotel off the bat, but I'm sure the new sign will be up shortly. Now, from reading this thread, I wasn't able to guess anything, but are they going to put up a new sign? If so, I don't know why they wouldn't maintain the original font. Does Anaheim's sign code prohibit that font?
    "You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." ~ Homer Simpson

Re: The Disneyland Hotel sign is gone 12-14-05

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    Chad cited the City of Anaheim's signage requirements that the old sign did no longer meet. He also mentioned that they'd had to go to great measures to get the ToT signage approved by the city.
    Talk about ugly.... The Twilight Zone signage is both an eyesore and in illusory disrepair. And, worst of all, Disneyland guests are subjected to the sight before they enter The Magic Kingdom.

The attraction exterior is not in keeping with Disney design standards of the past, and the prominence of the building does not help matters.

Sad Re: Last Look at The Disneyland Hotel Sign

Quote Originally Posted by MousEarz
    I understand the concept of progress
    I just don't see how removing something is progress. If the Anaheim rule states no signs that high up in the air, then how can we assume that "progress" means a new and improved sign? I have a feeling they will just remove the backing of those letters completely and forget the neon ever existed.
    I don't think the font is the problem either, since a lot of the newer materials are going back to using the 70s-90s font instead of the horrible Cynthia DLR one, so with that ruled out, I don't think we're going to see any new signage up there.

• Minion

Just fyi-
    The letters are NOT going to Ebay or being sold anywhere else. It was mentioned in the OC Register a few days ago that the sign was deemed too old and is going to the scrap heap.

• Minion

Will there be a new sign to replace the old one? Does anyone have info?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool
    Will there be a new sign to replace the old one? Does anyone have info?
    It would seem a given to anyone experiencing the confused out-of-town visitors attempting to navigate their way into the DLR. I've had people cross three lanes in front of me, stop completely in the middle of a lane and/or simply pull over. A current compliant sign will probably turn up sooner than later especially w/ Xmas days away.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Still wants to be a cat!

Went to the Parking Structure today, looked over and yep it's gone! Sure miss that sign...anyone know what happens now? Heard the old one will be destroyed since it was in so much disrepair. Do we get a new one?
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• All? NO, ALL!

No, I don't think so. Apparently (so I've heard) it breaks an "Anaheim Resort" law having to do with signs. I think that's pretty stupid, though. I didn't think the signs were ugly. If they do, it would sure be nice.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Here's a horrible Photoshop I made at 1AM last night.

Obviously, the reflective glass looks bad all arched and stretched like that, and the panels should obviously be much bigger, but I didn't have much source material to work with there (I was working with a picture of a glassy skyscraper.) Point being, they could easily make the place look much more modern with some exterior work. I like the idea the windows reflecting the color of the sky, myself.

edited:

Equally crummy night shot. Instead of lighting up the actual letters like they did before, you simply put a light on the roof that shines on the letters for people to see.

Last edited by MickeyMania; 12-17-2005 at 12:01 PM.

• Having a Grand Day!

Dam, that was my sujjestion. It seems to be a common way to get around Councils down here - Maybe it will work for Anaheim?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Nice photo shop...though the old sign will be missed.

• DisneylandDan

kinda off topic but does anyone know if theres any pics of the disneyland sign in john stamos yard?????

Im bored, lets go to Disneyland.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Roof signs are banned under current Anaheim City law, the DLH signs had to be removed by the end of the year as part of an agreement Disney made as part of the DLR expansion project in the 90's.

Don't expect any type of replacement.

About the best you will get would be signs on the sides of the building, the same size as the PPH signs.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

During the recent reconstruction and zoning laws passed in Anaheim largely influenced by Disney, all Anaheim resort signage must comply with certain height and style regulations. (Imagine giant neon golden arches being visible from Tomorrowland from the adjacent McDonalds across the street on Harbor.) The Achilles heal of this ordinance, largely supported by the Disney Co. to maintain the look of the "show" from within the park, is that it's own signage had to also comply with the new city ordinances. Thus, the removal of the "Disneyland - Happiest Place on Earth" sign from Harbor Blvd. and the signage on the Disneyland Hotel. Though eventually the Harbor Blvd. entrance will be completely closed off to thru traffic, the sign would have been removed anyway as DCA continues to expand into the Timon parking lot. I guess sometimes you just have to be careful what you ask for... cuz you just might get it.

• Banned User

This is sooo not cool!! its like trashing the Mona Lisa!! ang no replacement!! oh, well, we're dommed never to have a sign(above a roof) again!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast