Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: Last Look at The Disneyland Hotel Sign

1) The signage on the Disneyland Hotel was NOT exactly like Disneyland's.
    2) The bowling alley at the end of the block has been gone for years.
    3) The DLH sign didn't just come down; it's been down for a while.
    4) It's doubtful that a new sign will go up, as they've even taken down the small sign on the Bonita Tower. It's just a bunch of "shooting stars", the same color as the background it's on.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

^ The sign came down of the Marina Tower a week ago, December 14th.

Many folks, including myself have photos of it up, and then removed.

This thread was started 7 days ago, and I would classifiy that as just being removed.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

I still believe that Disneyland could and should have been an exception for the city. The "Anaheim Resort" would not exist if not for Disneyland. Anaheim's economy would be null if not for Disneyland. People don't say, "I want to go to the Anaheim Resort!" or "Let's go to Anaheim for vacation, kids!". They say, "I'm going to Disneyland!"

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Depressing - - All the cool, historic elements of style will soon be gone from that complex. Are they going to slap up another funky glowing pixie dust trail or something?

What a waste. There was no need for it to happen.

In the last few years, the city of Hollywood has reignited some of the historic rooftop neon signs that had been left around town, most for business long gone. And they are beautiful. If they had been torn down carelessly like this, it would not have been possible.

Shame the WDC doesn't appreciate its own history and beauty.
    Agreed! Change isn't always good for changes sake.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

I understand why people feel nostalgia for that sign, but it really was outdated, a remnant of the funky past.

When you consider how impressive are the resort hotels near the Disney parks in Orlando, Tokyo and Paris, the original hotel in Anaheim, and definitely its rooftop sign, is kind of an embarrassment. Besides, I never cared for the lower case "h" in the "hotel" part of "Disneyland hotel." Compared with "Disneyland Hotel", the actual signage and logo always looked sloppy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Pete
    Thus, the removal of the "Happiest Place on Earth" sign from Harbor Blvd.
    I never liked that sign. Too garish and corny. It reminded me of something I'd see along the highway on a trip to Opryland. However, the original sign it replaced was worse, or really cheap looking, and made me think of 1950s sign stuck out in front of bowling alleys.

Folks got to remember that just because something is old and tugs at their childhood memories and nostalgia doesn't mean it's good.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    I've always had a great time there, many happy memories. Is sad for the facade to lose the original look. Wonder how much they want for the D -
    upper or lower case?

Yeah, and John Stamos will probably buy it! lol

• Donald's #1 Fan

Truly sad.

The last time I was in Anaheim with some of my Disney friends, I was told about Fantasy Waters removal and the removal of the sign atop the Marina Tower. That sign was put up in late 1969/early 1970, so it does not date back to the beginning. There were no towers until the early 60's. What hurt more was when they removed the Garden Villa structures, the Monorail Cafe and the rest of the old version of the Disneyland Hotel. I loved staying there in those Villa suites. Going to the Monorail Cafe was also enjoyable for the food, the milk shakes, the prices and the decor (of the Monorail) on the walls. There is now nothing left of the original Disneyland Hotel. I thought they could have at least left up one Villa wing for sort of a museum on the Hotel's history. What was even more sad was the way the Imagineer put it to me about the removal of the old structures. She said she couldn't wait to get in there with the bulldozers and tear them down. No sense of history. No saving for posterity so that one could be reminded of happier times. Out with the old and in with the new. Luckily, I researched and documented the Hotel's history. Please check out my book on www.magicalhotel.com for (what I think is) a great tribute to the early days of the Disneyland Hotel.

I'm sorry to see the sign come down and I love of historic type things (lie i a towen who Built a new court house out of nessaity but still uses there over 100 year old building.) BUT with that being said there is somethig I don't know if any one has really thought about. With the Sign being as old as it was there could have been safety issues. With Both electrical ( do yo uREALLY want 50 year old wireing) that could have been a fire issue and those thing are not something you can just rewire. My Father is an Electrician. Two possiablyity of it falling (which may have been part of Anahimes thinking). We don't want to hear in the news about the big D in the Disneyland hotel falling on some on and killing them. It happend in other places where signs have fallen a hit people.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What a bunch of bratty kids...

Disney should be exempt from the signage law that it forced on all the other businesses around Disneyland! So we can keep the tacky lettering on the roof of the Disneyland Hotel for all the world to see...

As if they need those letters to pull in reservations. As if there are people driving around looking for a hotel room, thinking ahh look we're right by Disneyland, let's stay at the Disneyland hotel and huh while we're at it, le'ts take in a couple of theme parks.

I'm sure they get all their reservations from people who intend to visit Disneyland. Not people driving around looking for rooms. It's not like when the park opened and they built it at the exit cause there was nothing else around for weary families.

Oh and it's not the Mona Lisa it's signage, advertising, nothing more. It was kinda cool but it's not art it's neon advertising that probably annoyed Anaheim homeowners too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345