View Poll Results: Which one would you visit?

Voters
183. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carsland

93 50.82%
  • Wizarding World of Harry Potter

90 49.18%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Workin to live,lovin life

Re: If you could only visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter or Carsland?

For me? I'm not a huge Cars fan. I like Harry Potter a lot, but to be honest, I'm not a fan of digital/ 3D rides. I prefer AA's, physical props, and actually traveling through things. As cool as Star Tours is, I still prefer the Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, etc.

So I'm actually more excited for the shops and little details of the Wizarding World than the actual attractions. However, I like the direction that both companies are going by building a whole land based on something. But since I'm an AP holder for Disney, I'd go to Carsland so I can visit the rest of the Resort. Universal Hollywood can be done in one day... heck, less than a full day.

While I vastly prefer Disneyland to Universal Studios Hollywood (who doesn't?), there's no question that I'd take Potter over Cars.

I wasn't at all impressed with the movie "Cars". In fact, I didn't really like it.

And I've been asking myself whether it is a mistake for Disney to invest so much (land, time & money) in an odd little movie that couldn't even produce a single decent sequel. ("Cars 2" was almost universally savaged by critics, who branded it as Pixar's first failure. Its U.S. box office gross didn't even equal its production costs.)

The Harry Potter saga, on the other hand, spawned seven books, and eight films that each grossed around $1 billion. But more importantly, the Potter/Rowling universe is an incredibly rich & detailed one, which begs to be explored, while the "Cars" world is simply a single cartoon gimmick repeated too often.

(My only wish if that Disney had gotten the new Potter attraction, and not Universal.)

• Oh, I just LOVE your hat!

To decide equally, I'd have to know the attractions and offerings that Hollywood's version of WWOHP would have. It's not that I don't like Harry Potter, I just haven't followed any of the books or movies so I know very little but the basics of the story. I've at least seen Cars so I'd say Carsland since I would be able to recognize and appreciate all of it's details and features. At WWOHP, I might be able to pick out some stuff I recognize but hardcore fan details, not so much.

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Filmore's organic fuel? Flow's petroleum byproducts? Cars is trickier to have "themed" food for because it is based on cars. Butter beer was easy because it was an actual drink. But how would you make a beverage out of oil?
    Dang.... you know what they needed in Carsland? A drive-in like the 50's where they skated to your car and put the tray on your car window...... they could have had permanent cars and seat people like a restaurant.

I loved A&W Drive-ins and the Zoo Drive-in in Corona del Mar.

---------- Post added 12-21-2011 at 08:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FredSimmons View Post
    And I've been asking myself whether it is a mistake for Disney to invest so much (land, time & money) in an odd little movie that couldn't even produce a single decent sequel. ("Cars 2" was almost universally savaged by critics, who branded it as Pixar's first failure. Its U.S. box office gross didn't even equal its production costs.)

The Harry Potter saga, on the other hand, spawned seven books, and eight films that each grossed around $1 billion. But more importantly, the Potter/Rowling universe is an incredibly rich & detailed one, which begs to be explored, while the "Cars" world is simply a single cartoon gimmick repeated too often.
    You are being somewhat misleading with the facts. Cars 2 grossed $191 million in the US, but $560 million worldwide. HPDH2 only grossed $381 million domestically. The first Harry Potter didn't gross over $1 billion, nor did the second, nor the third, nor the fourth, nor the fifth, nor the sixth, nor the seventh. HPDH2 was the first of the Potter films to break the billion mark and three of the first six didn't get over $900 million.

Cars 2 in fact out grossed Cars, so all in all, I'd say it was pretty successful.

All of which has nothing to do with WWoHP and Carsland. The Cars franchise has beautifully filled a gap that was glaringly open, something for boys.

The question isn't what would you rather visit, but which would your 8 year old son or grandson rather visit. My grandsons barely know who Harry Potter is, unlike their father.

• Sock Puppet

Never read the Harry Potter books. Never saw any of the movies. Therefore, I'm not obsessed enough to want to spend $85 to go see it. I'm sure it's a great franchise. Attendance at Islands of Adventure went up +31% last year because of it.
    I am however a Disney fan and that's where my obsession lies. Anything Disney...I'll be there. Also include the fact that I'm into retro nostalgia, I like automobiles, and I can never get enough of the natural beauty of the west. So Carsland has everything I would want. Once I'm in there, I'll stay all day and watch the sunset on the Cadillac Range.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Carsland. Haven't been to Universal since the mid-80's....

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Haven't been to Universal since the mid-80's....
    But that was a cool time to go there. It was a time when you could climb inside the car from Knight Rider, lift up the A-Team van, and got to see Cylons on the tram tour.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jeremys View Post
    You are being somewhat misleading with the facts. Cars 2 grossed $191 million in the US, but $560 million worldwide. HPDH2 only grossed $381 million domestically. The first Harry Potter didn't gross over $1 billion, nor did the second, nor the third, nor the fourth, nor the fifth, nor the sixth, nor the seventh. HPDH2 was the first of the Potter films to break the billion mark and three of the first six didn't get over $900 million.

Cars 2 in fact out grossed Cars, so all in all, I'd say it was pretty successful.

All of which has nothing to do with WWoHP and Carsland. The Cars franchise has beautifully filled a gap that was glaringly open, something for boys.

The question isn't what would you rather visit, but which would your 8 year old son or grandson rather visit. My grandsons barely know who Harry Potter is, unlike their father.
    The reason Cars 2 did better than HP is because of 3-D ticket sales. I bet if you put the gross of Cars 2 next to the gross of the first Harry Potter movie and adjusted for inflation, you would get a roughly equal number, if not a higher number for Harry Potter.

Besides that, more people know of Harry Potter than the characters from Cars. When your kids get older, I'm sure they will become more familiar with the world of Harry Potter.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678