Whatever happened to the Extinct Attractions Club?

I was reading posts that Extinct Attractions was sued in 2010 by Disney for all sorts of copyright infringement (The Wonderful World of David Oneal - Magic Music Forums - Page 15)
    but I never actually heard the end result. I thought I read somewhere that they dropped the suit but do any of you know what actually happened?

• Shubisha

Re: Whatever happened to the Extinct Attractions Club?

EAC was shut down. There's since been that "backstage" video by David O'neal driving around with it on the dashboard if you'll recall and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start something up again(a theme park website was started again).

A very detailed update of all the court filings and results of the case was kept track here started at the linked post.

Yea, a million dollar fine if he ever uses any of Disney's material again. He has started a new website. Themeparks360.com

• Parking Lot > DCA

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfn View Post
    Yea, a million dollar fine if he ever uses any of Disney's material again. He has started a new website. Themeparks360.com
    His video of him driving backstage is on that website.

• Minion

He was wrong, of course, to use Disney's copyrighted material. And they were right to take action against him with a lawsuit. However, the whole thing begs the question, at least in my head... If there is enough of a market for retro Disney footage and audio, then why isn't Disney itself producing and selling DVDs of this type? If nobody had bought what he was selling, then he would have come and gone, and it would have been just a tiny blip and had no impact on Disney. But if people were buying enough that they took notice of him and took legal action against him, then why don't THEY sell similar products?

In fact they could have even hired him as a consultant to help decide what sort of things customers want - information that is priceless in market research and can make producing and publishing much less risky. But even if not hiring him, still, why aren't they producing their own DVDs of the type he sold? They already have the footage and material, in fact a treasure trove of it, and they certainly have the money to do small-run productions and sell the products in their parks and at the Disney stores and their web sites. And he has already demonstrated that there is a market for them, thereby removing a great deal of the risk.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    He was wrong, of course, to use Disney's copyrighted material. And they were right to take action against him with a lawsuit. However, the whole thing begs the question, at least in my head... If there is enough of a market for retro Disney footage and audio, then why isn't Disney itself producing and selling DVDs of this type? If nobody had bought what he was selling, then he would have come and gone, and it would have been just a tiny blip and had no impact on Disney. But if people were buying enough that they took notice of him and took legal action against him, then why don't THEY sell similar products?
    The only reason I can think of is that somebody at the company thinks if people's interest in old attractions is encouraged, they won't like the new ones as much.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

They'd make a solid revenue of 'new'/previously unshared retro footage on dvd and attractions, and they do know the demand is there based on the crowd for retro inspired art products...it makes no sense to me that Disney isn't already compiling and selling this material in the parks in some format. They 100 percent should, if it's come to the point where the only way to get it is low quality on youtube or a guy selling illegal bootlegs.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Pilot EdForceOne

a key difference... a guy selling bootlegs doesn't have quality standards and doesn't have the overhead a real company does.

Meaning... he can sell bootlegs at a price people are willing to pay and make it worth his while, while a real company may not be.

You can't use the validity of a pirate market to justify the validity of a valid business model.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Majestic Falcon

Blog Entries

I was a long time follower of EAC and early on he had said that he had permission to produce his DVD's cause the profits from the sales went to the local shelters cause he was in shelters himself has a kid growing up with his mom. He talked in detailed how he lived in motels all around disneyland and wanted to give back to others. I'm sorry to see he got careless.

I feel current disney photographer fans are starting to get careless as well and some are selling prints. I hope what has happened to EAC is a warning to them. Cause the bottom line, if you do not have a Media Pass, you are not allowed to take photos or videos to be used for selling.