Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Lightbulb Idea: Disneyland Museum

Thought I'd give this its own thread, since it makes for some good conversation.

While I understand the need for things to change, I just wish they would preserve the old somehow, instead of selling things off on Ebay or destroying them. Like have a Disneyland museum adjacent to the hotel or something. They could house some old ride vehicles, photos, merchandise, etc. And even have a "Yesterland Cafe", where people could dine in the old ride vehicles. (Just like some of the old People Mover cars at TDA.) People do like to see old stuff and share it with the next generation.

For example, I got a real kick from seeing one of the original Midget Autopia cars at the Walt Disney Museum in Marceline. While I never experienced that ride myself, it was fun to look at and imagine being a kid back in that time, driving one of those in the park.

A Disneyland museum would be really cool, and people would visit it. It would also make for less of a fuss for "purists" when things get pulled out or changed.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Re: Last Look at The Disneyland Hotel Sign

DP, I love the idea of a Disneyland museum. Disneyland is such a part of Southern California that I think a museum would go over really well. As the 50th celebration has shown with the crowds, people love the nostalgia of Disneyland and the memories they have of the park.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    As the 50th celebration has shown with the crowds, people love the nostalgia of Disneyland and the memories they have of the park.
    Exactly. They could have a small theater and show video of the different decades of the park too. They could also have a section about the Mouseketeers, which originated at DL. Put some of their costumes on display. And, it would really free up some space in their warehouses. I know for a fact that WDI houses small scale working models of every attraction. They are crated, with a picture on the side. Heck - uncrate those babies, and put 'em on display! (I've seen them with my own eyes, right on the storage racks at WDI.)

And, to make even more money, they could professionally put together "extinct attraction" DVDs for sale. "Underground" people have been making a small mint on videos like that, showing the demand. Disney would be very smart to jump on the bandwagon, especially, since I'm sure they have some stock footage of the rides' grand openings, tv commercials, etc.

Heck, they even have the space at DCA for a museum. And, it does fit a history of California theme. I bet it would even help draw more people over there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Idea: Disneyland Museum

DP are you sure they aren't just revamping the sign or is it a goner for good? are you sure none of the letters will be displayed in any museums like the Henry Ford one?

The idea that I have been stating in the other threads is for the Disneyland Hotel to embrace its datedness and incorporate very theatrical mid-Century modern design in the furnishings and elsewhere. In so doing, the Hotel can find homes for parts of Disneyland that are no longer in use.

There is cultural significance to much of this art and to many of these artifacts, so they need to be preserved in some way.

The "Eat" Ticket commissary, for example, has: a Skyway gondola; an old Autopia car; set dressing for "Party Gras"; and, a whole host of other interesting items that are not on display to the general public.

The grounds and other public spaces of the Disneyland Hotel would make for a very interesting exhibition space devoted to the history of Disneyland, itself. The mere fact that these items have the potential to seem incongruous should create a fanciful effect within the context that the Disneyland Hotel provides.

I can easily visualize a 24-hour diner capturing and enshrining 1955 in perpetuity between the Hotel and Downtown Disney. Several other parts of the property, likewise, lend themselves to this kind of treatment. Imagine, for example, guests arriving at the porte cochere and entering the lobby to find three stylish, old-fashioned black-and-white television sets displaying Tinkerbell's flourish of pixie dust before the old "Disneyland" television series. The possibilities are truly endless.

Ideally, guests staying at the Disneyland Hotel will not only gain a greater appreciation for Disneyland during their visits, but they will leave knowing much more about the place than they ever could before.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Ideally, guests staying at the Disneyland Hotel will not only gain a greater appreciation for Disneyland during their visits, but they will leave knowing much more about the place than they ever could before.
    Wonderful idea.

• A Pirate's life for me!

I'd pay to go to the museum...

• Ooh boy!

I'd go, especially if Disney went the extra mile and rebuilt old attractions that you could ride.

• Having a Grand Day!

Quote Originally Posted by openattheseams
    I'd go, especially if Disney went the extra mile and rebuilt old attractions that you could ride.
    I dont know about that (Where would they put it?), but maybe they could create a virtual simulator where you sit in a ride car and you experience the ride as it was when it was open. Like a skyway simulator where you can see the park as it was when the ride opened - the sim could include motion to simulate the swaying of the cars. Think 360 degree Soarin'.

• Hooterville, USA

Heck, rip out DCA and put the old Disney attractions over there. Probably make as much as DL.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Heck, they even have the space at DCA for a museum. And, it does fit a history of California theme. I bet it would even help draw more people over there.
    NOT A BAD IDEA. Wow. DCA is pretty much just the right size for that, and it's right next door! That could be the best of both worlds: keep "DL: Museum" right south of the Esplanade and "DL: Work in Progress" north of it. Show elements that don't get recycled could go there, or even entire attractions if they're not too broken down or too expensive to move. For example, if Lincoln doesn't end up returning to Main Street, he'd be perfect there.

• Small Projects Team

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Heck, rip out DCA and put the old Disney attractions over there. Probably make as much as DL.
    How did you know what I was going to post?

• back in Austin

Can you imagine if instead of having demolished Monsanto's House of the Future, we were able to go visit it at "the museum"? That would rock!

• no flash photography...

yeah,...visiting a plastic house would be the bomb...change is good...they are just rides...let them go...

• Senior Minion

The Museum is a great idea and should have been up before the Disney company started selling off all the signsand ride vehicles to the well-to-do. (should be up before Ebay was created)

I think it is really said that something like the signs or rides that were created earlier are not protected or put into a place like DP mentioned.

The fact that one person has the Disneyland marquee sign for example, IMO is really awful and should be in place for others to enjoy.
    Imagine a section for just Captain Nemo where vistors could go look at one of the subs from 20,000 Leagues from Florida, or bring back the Movie set with the organ Replica(I know this is in HM) just something I was thinking of, but very curious where this idea will go. I like it alot.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast