Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Clear for Dispatch

Pin Trading, Obsessed Much?

As a former cast member, I appreciated guest's love for all things Disney, but there was always one thing I never could understand.

PIN-TRADERS

Now, I'm not talking about the run of the mill Disney fan who may have some pins at home, or even a guest who has a few pins on a lanyard.

No, I'm talking about the guests who were OBSESSED with pins. The ones with the lanyard full of pins, the hat full of pins, the vest full of pins, and if that wasn't enough, an album FULL of pins that they'd be carrying around all day long at the park.

I always found it funny how Disney would promote this obsession as well by having pin trading stations, limited edition pins, and cast member exclusive pins (obviously they're a great business for Disney). But seriously, do these people consider this an investment, or worse yet, do they think they look fashionable covered in pins at the park.

Your Thoughts...

• Pirate Girl

Re: Pin Trading, Obsessed Much?

Ahoy monorail1,

As one of those pin obsessed people I must write. I wear a lanyard full of seasonal(usually or traders) pins. I have been pin collecting and trading since 2000. If you see how much people spend on pins every month you'll understand why Disney promotes pin trading! I put most of mine in frames on the wall. Check them out here.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v483/p...Framed%20pins/

They really are little pieces of art!

I love to sit and pin trade with people. I am going on Sunday alone to do just that(and maybe ride HM & Pirates). I don't buy as many pins as I used to. There are some characters that will always be tradeable or sellable on the secondary market: Tinkerbell, Maleficient, Stitch.

Aprille :-)

• Shpadoinkle

Compared to the majority, I am a very casual pin trader. I mostly use them as an excuse to chat up the CM hotties at the park.

• Banned User

I have about five or six pins. I'd have more but they're a little pricey when I have better things to pay for like gas and car insurance. I don't get it either. They're cute.. but big deal.. I can draw those images myself... for free!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I dont get the whole Disney pin thing.

Now Olympic pins, that's another story

• Senior Minion

Right now I'm just trading and collecting on one specific character and a couple of Disney animated movies I love very much to my own. And if a pin really stands out, I might trade it or purchase it. If I don't actually like it I will trade it later. That's the nice thing about pins and that is what makes it fun. I'm not wildly obsessed like some. There are so many pins a person would go bankrupt trying.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• no flash photography...

i got into to it briefly, but I was not happy with just dl pins. I was also buying wdw pins. I did not wear them or trade them though. I ahve the entire wdw zodiac pins and the dl peter pan series with the maps. I guess I was more into complete colelctions and not just the stray pin here and there.....I have a few more, but they are put away. I haven't looked at them in years.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I collect the Disneyland attraction poster series, but I don't consider myself a
    "Pinhead"
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I have 3 very different ones...the one I prize the most is basically my avatar. But I want a Jessica Rabbit one, and a trash can one, because they look cute.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Not so much pins for me, but Disneyland Cast Member nametags. Why I'm obsessed, I dunno. They just call to me. I'll have them all, eventually..

• Give Peace a Chance

I didn't admit to collecting until I realized that I had the entire 100 Mickey series. I have traded at the parks mostly with CM's, and online. When we moved last year I realized that I had well over 2000 pins, that they took up a lot of space and they are very heavy. Due to that and a few other reasons I decided to stop trading except for occasionally when I am at the park I will trade with CM's. Now I will buy only a pin that I really have to have. I was actually disappointed with many of the 50th pins, so it hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be.
    One piece of advice I would give to anyone thinking of taking up pin trading ~ do it for fun ~ but, know your pins and their value. Invest in a Tomart Guide to Pin Trading http://www.secure.figures.com/tomart/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=196 there are many traders out there who can smell a newbie a mile away and they will not hesitate to trade their cheapest pin for your most valuable (note I did not say expensive) one. Just because you are having fun with your new hobby does not mean you should be taken advantage of. Some say collect only one character or attraction, I say collect what makes you happy. We all started with just one pin. Many of my pins are listed at PinPics.com: http://www.pinpics.com/mypins.htm to see them type in GottaLuvtheMouse in the username space and click on enter. It is a great place to keep track of the pins you have, want and are willing to trade you can also set up trades with others if that is your desire.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

• What have I done?

Hmm well I do not consider myself a pin trader, rather a pin collector. I just started on my Walt Disney World vacation. I wanted a lil something from each park. So I bought a pin that represented or had a park logo on it.
    That was in August, now I am collecting whatever catches my eye AP pins for the 50th and Milestones. I dont think I am carried away, mildly obsessed yes! Now DVD's are a whole other issue! SERIOUSLY!

In any case thanks for all the info above as to where you can learn more thanks guys!

"This guy!"

• Minion

I don't go to the pin trading stuff or anything like that, but I have about 25 pins in a little velvet box. I got them as gifts

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by prillzilla
    Ahoy monorail1,

As one of those pin obsessed people I must write. I wear a lanyard full of seasonal(usually or traders) pins. I have been pin collecting and trading since 2000. If you see how much people spend on pins every month you'll understand why Disney promotes pin trading! I put most of mine in frames on the wall. Check them out here.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v483/p...Framed%20pins/

They really are little pieces of art!

I love to sit and pin trade with people. I am going on Sunday alone to do just that(and maybe ride HM & Pirates). I don't buy as many pins as I used to. There are some characters that will always be tradeable or sellable on the secondary market: Tinkerbell, Maleficient, Stitch.

Aprille :-)

I'm with Aprille!

I live 490 miles away from the park... seeing my pins daily (well over 2,000 of them) remind me of my special times at the park...

Some of my sets (3 pages worth) can be viewed at:
    http://www.u.arizona.edu/~hrsim/photosdisney.html

I collect Disney in general, not just pins.

Basically, from an economic perspective, if it makes money, Disney will promote it.

But, if there is a cashier CM with pins, I don't cut in line - I wait and I make my trade as fast as possible, or during a purchase transaction. I do understand frustration with rude traders... that is constantly giving us a bad name, like rude AP holder issues.

Some people collect/trade TokenZone, Baseball cards, coins... etc...
    We collect/trade Disney pins (among other Disney things)
    Don't knock what you haven't tried!

• Clear for Dispatch

Quote Originally Posted by MSEPLightningBug

Some people collect/trade TokenZone, Baseball cards, coins... etc...
    We collect/trade Disney pins (among other Disney things)
    Don't knock what you haven't tried!
    I have tried it, not by choice that is. As a cast member, Disney would constantly give us "cast member" exclusive pins for working certain days of the year, and we would be required to wear that pin on that day. I'm sure the company had an ulterior motive behind giving us these pins other than show. In fact, a few cast member were sucked into pin trading.

This would also explain the ridiculous offers they would give us at the Team Disney store for "Cast Member Exclusive" pin gift sets. Limit 5 sets per person. Were they serious?

Let me reiterate though, I don't mind pin collectors. What I do mind are the pin traders that come into the park covered (literally) in pins on their hats, jackets and any other apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast