Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Taken from the Mice Chat blog link above.

We can assume that the changes were made to accommodate adding more members to the club. Since members will be limited to 50 comp tickets, they will likely be making fewer reservations overall, which Disney can then fill with new members. Upsetting current members with rule changes and slipping service levels also isn't an issue, because the club waiting list is over 10 years long and they can quickly and easily replace any lost members. Obviously, the folks who pay the most to access Disneyland aren't amused.
    So I wonder how many of these people who have been on the waiting list for years will still be interested after they find out about the price increase.

Does anyone know the differences between Gold and Platnium other than $ and number of passes?

And what exactly does the Membership get you. Just the opportunity to visit and eat at the clubs, VIP tour and ??? or is that it.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MiceChat Moderator

Folks, this thread is about the changes to the membership of Club 33. Let's keep it on that topic. No more talk of how the fees could be better spent or anything of that nature, please.
    Thank you for helping to make MiceChat a safe and fun place for everyone!

• Minion

It is interesting that the "platinum" members will now have Premier APs, so they can access WDW also. It is a positive that AP holders that the member puts in the park will not count against them. I also understand there are issues with the fact that members booked reservations for Jan, Feb, March without the knowledge of these new rules. Will they allow these not to affect the members counts as they were booked before the rule changes?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

After reading about the changes, I am even more thankful to our friend who got us into the Club for our anniversary this past Oct.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Hooterville, USA

Hey, where's my post?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas View Post
    Hey, where's my post?
    I was gonna say check the Litter Box, but it looks like all the negativity in this thread was sent to Purgatory.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    ......I also understand there are issues with the fact that members booked reservations for Jan, Feb, March without the knowledge of these new rules. Will they allow these not to affect the members counts as they were booked before the rule changes?
    It's my understanding from a member friend that the "count" won't start until March 1st.

It will be a bit tough on the large parties that happen back in the Trophy Room. Those will really cut into the bank of tickets (especially if a member has been able to make multiple party reservations for guests). My brother-in-law had a party for 26 or 28 this past October. It was a great deal (park and meal for one low price and a great experience) for those guests but I don't think that will be happening every year at this point!

I'm sure there will be much more said about this in the days to come!

Michael

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by StarDustFairy View Post
    Wow! So pricey! I just learned about club 33 a couple years ago. Is it really worth that price tag?
    Some people think it is. Otherwise it wouldn't exist, according to basic economic theory.

IMO, No, it's not worth it. But then, I don't have anything I'm trying to sell to someone who would be more inclined to buy it if he dined at Club 33.

It certainly doesn't cost that much more to operate now than it did a few days ago (I could be wrong), but it seems to me they're trying to make it more exclusive, because there are some people who are willing to pay more if it were more exclusive. Only speculation can be used to determine what currently happens at Club 33 to make it appear not-so-exclusive....

I suspect the wait list will dwindle to nothing if all one can purchase is the Platinum plan at 10K per year. (That's about $200 per week, not including the restaurant tab.)
    Last edited by sediment; 12-19-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

I don't think it will be that big of a deal. For those worried about their family getting into the parks - I figure they can afford an AP if they can afford Club 33.

For their guests, there is a limited # of free admissions. That seems reasonable. I don't think it's a huge thing for those that were looking to goto the park to have to pay to get into the park. For so many (especially this audience), what does it matter, most of you have APs anyways

But I wonder if this will impact meal pricing? Wasn't the price of the meal, in effect, supposed to be the price of a single day ticket?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Hooterville, USA

So, they're just cutting down on the passes?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

For me personally, I don’t think the change in membership is worthy of the $10,000.00 annual fee.

I enjoy the food at Club 33, but it is priced well above similar fare outside of the park. This was never really a concern because of the inclusion of a park-hopper pass. A VIP tour is really not of value to me. Although they call it a VIP tour, anybody can buy this service that really does nothing other than add a Disney staff member to your party. It does not grant you any ability to bypass the queue. Chances are that if you are a Club 33 member you already know as much history (sometimes more) than those giving the tour. Like many entertainment options, they are starting to use the term VIP for something that really does not provide many perks. How many concerts now sell VIP packages for $750.00 per seat for the chance at early entry and exclusive merchandise shopping…no thanks! That does not make me a VIP, it makes me a sucker with too much money.

I don’t visit WDW often so the premiere level passport really is not of value to me. There is no Club 33 at WDW so having access to the Orlando area parks is not an exclusive perk. I have the ability to buy admission when and if it is needed.

A club or lounge at California Adventure sounded like a great idea. The original idea for a “club” at California Adventure looks like it landed on the desk of Paul Pressler. What was once an amazing plan for a beautiful lounge and restaurant has been reduced to a small bar in a park that serves alcohol everywhere. The building does look beautiful, but there is no special connection to any Disney history within the walls of the Carthay Circle Theater.

If you enjoy Disney history and you enjoy being around like-minded Disney enthusiasts, Club 33 has always held great member dinners and experiences. In fairness to the Club management, they have always been reasonably priced (usually under $200.00 per person). My concern is that this significant change in membership will not be the last stop for the runaway Disney Express. Similar to the premium annual passports, they will keep increasing the cost while decreasing the benefit as long as people are willing to pay.

There is always so much talk about the length of the wait for Club 33 membership but I have a funny feeling it will soon be reduced to a 1-2 year wait. With a few membership spots opening every year, the list barely moves. If there is suddenly a large number of openings you will see that waiting list quickly evaporate. I know of many people who wanted to be placed on the list because in 7-10 years they will be more established in their lives and they should be able to afford it when the opportunity presents itself. Don’t forget that many people were asked to be added to the list at a time when they benefits of club membership significantly outweighed the present day benefits and came at a much lower cost.

Has anyone here ever witnessed a bar or nightclub purposely keep people waiting in line out front despite plenty of room inside? Same concept is in play here. The allure of the club is not what it used to be. Same as Walt’s apartment on Main Street. I wanted in because it was the rarest of treats. I eventually bought my way in and now it is being whored out for everything from ABD, Candlelight packages, auctions and more.

My objection to a membership at these rates with these benefits is that they are packaging items that are not exclusive (premiere passports, VIP tours, etc.). These can be purchased by anyone who has the funds to pay for them. If I did not buy them on my own, a bundled package of “perks” I never would purchase does not make any sense to me. With the exclusive benefits being dwindled down to dining and some events is it really worth the enhanced price? For me, the answer is no.

• Senior Minion

^ This.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Disneynut, I think you summed up everything perfectly.

• Minion

One other minor change was that members could valet park at GCH any time they visited. Now, the parking will only be on days they are dining at the park. (They will have parking privs at M&Fs and Toy Story, requiring a tram ride.)
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

yes, great post by Disneynut
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 123451252 ... LastLast