Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11181920212223243146 ... LastLast

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    Two generally-different ways of evaluating a Club 33 membership seem to be emerging here: (1) as a member/spouse private club access, or (2) a means of comping nonmembers into the Parks and the Club.
    I agree with your assessment. I personally do not have a problem with the limitation on complimentary guest passes. That said, I do think that many members considered this benefit in their decision making process before writing the check for the first time. I feel part of the fun of Club 33 is being able to share it with others who can appreciate the history and love for Disney. Obviously, sharing the club with non-members is not dead, but the privilege may have been greatly reduced for some with this new rule.

I stand with you on limiting guest reservations or the implementation of any policy that would improve the member experience. Once again, we are working under the assumption that this was done to improve the reservation system. Disney is a for-profit business, they need the club booked to capacity to support the clubs continued existence. Any move to greatly reduce the number of reservations without a plan to replace those reservations would be nothing short of career suicide.

You obviously hear the various rumors and speculation just as I do. When I examine all of the information that has been presented to me, I have drawn the conclusion that this move is intended to open reservation space within Club 33 (for new members and their guests) and couple it with access to the private lounge inside of Disney California Adventure. This is how we arrive at the new platinum level membership.

In this case I think the complaint does not take the beneficial tradeoff into due consideration. But concerning complaints generally, propose solutions, and not just to Micechat but to the Parkpeople responsible. When you have an idea about improving Club 33, send a letter to the Manager about it. If you get it back folded into a paper airplane, then you can Micegrump with justification.
    I can write for days on this…without getting too personal the current manager does not seem to care about feedback from either members or guests. This is not only my personal opinion but I have heard the same complaint from well over 100 people. I fully support anyone complaining just as much as I support your right to disagree with any viewpoint expressed here. I don’t think there is really a right or wrong, but hopefully communication will lead to a much improved system and experience for everyone.

• Former DL CM

I am a C33 member and just spent a couple of hours reading this entire thread. I have a few thoughts to add that I don't believe have been addressed previously. First, by way of context, I will admit that I was fairly upset with the telephone call I received from the new Member Services department that clearly was intended to sugar coat changes that were being made to the club. During the call, I had the overriding reaction that this was an effort to charge more for fewer benefits and obviously many members feel that is what has happened. I realize that I may be in for a disappointment, but I am now hopeful that the changes may be for the good.

First, one of my major disappointments after joining C33 was the realization that this isn't much of a club. I am a member of other private clubs and I enjoy those facilities--not because they necessarily serve the best meal--but because they provide a private place for a relaxing and quality meal (with great wines) and a chance to socialize with other members; they are a place to go when I want to escape the rat race outside the club. Historically, there have been some opportunities to socialize with other C33 members at the members-only events--some of which I liked very much and some of which I did not. But the majority of my visits to C33 were for meals requiring an advance reservation and usually with guests that I would invite and entertain during our pre-planned visits to the club. C33 was not designed--and for the most part could not be used -- as a place for members to just drop into for relaxation and socializing with fellow members. The new 1901 Lounge will provide that opportunity for the first time and I am looking forward to having that real private club experience. It doesn't matter that there will be a public bar in very close proximity--the 1901 Lounge by all accounts should be less crouded, will only include groups with a member present and will be a nice place to drop in and relax to escape the more hectic public areas inside the resort. I know that the DCA location is not as desireable as a members lounge adjacent to C33, but I am hopeful that, if the 1901 Lounge is successful, it might lead to the establishment of a members lounge inside Disneyland. I would hope that many current members will upgrade to Platinum and take advantage of the 1901 Lounge often as a way to persuade management to expand this type of benefit for members.

Second, there have been C33 members (and non-members who are in a position to make regular use corporate memberships) who viewed it as their mission in life to give the C33 experience to any Disney fan who was willing to pay their own way into the club. While I understand that some of those people felt that they were doing a noble thing, the effect was to make it more difficult for paying members to get reservations at the club--something that has frustrated me greatly from time to time. So I, for one, think it is a very good thing that the limitation on the number of free admission tickets that can be given to guests has been imposed. I realize that those who want to offer reservations to all takers will still be able to do so if those guests have their own AP's or are willing to pay the reduced admission price, but this is still a step in the right direction.

Finally, there have been certain additional member benefits added over the last two years that I have liked very much. I am hoping that, with the higher cost of membership, there will be more such benefits added in the coming years. As one suggestion, I would like to see the Club 33 card become an unlimited fast pass. This type of benefit is given to certain hotel guests that stay in suites at the resort hotel for Disneyland Paris (I think it is called a "platinum fast pass" and it can be used an unlimited number of times without waiting for the prior fast pass time to expire). I suspect that non-C33 members may object to this type of benefit, but it already is in use elsewhere for the guests that are paying the most to attend visit the Disney resorts and, with the new platinum pricing, that will certainly apply to new and upgraded C33 members.

As others have addressed, this may also be an opportunity to upgrade the quality of the service inside C33. I share the skepticism others have expressed over this issue, but if the club is generating substantially more revenue, it provides the grounds to make the case for improved service. I am willing to wait and see, but am not naive about those prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by macindan View Post
    As others have addressed, this may also be an opportunity to upgrade the quality of the service inside C33. I share the skepticism others have expressed over this issue, but if the club is generating substantially more revenue, it provides the grounds to make the case for improved service. I am willing to wait and see, but am not naive about those prospects.
    First, thank you for expressing your opinion. It is nice to see that there is another side to this emerging in this thread. I am good at complaining and I excel at being vocal about what I don't care for. It helps to balance the argument when we hear from people who find value in some of the changes.

As you stated above, the initial call was really an effort to put the Disney-spin on these changes. I have no objection to a wait and see approach, I just hope that everyone will remember this point in time and not allow this to go on year after year. Assuming some members upgrade to the Platinum membership level and assuming they also add new members from the waiting list it should no doubt allow the financial room for improved service levels. I trust that if this does not happen, the membership as a whole will hold the manager and others accountable for their inaction.

Smile Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

First, one of my major disappointments after joining C33 was the realization that this isn't much of a club. I am a member of other private clubs and I enjoy those facilities--not because they necessarily serve the best meal--but because they provide a private place for a relaxing and quality meal (with great wines) and a chance to socialize with other members; they are a place to go when I want to escape the rat race outside the club. Historically, there have been some opportunities to socialize with other C33 members at the members-only events--some of which I liked very much and some of which I did not. But the majority of my visits to C33 were for meals requiring an advance reservation and usually with guests that I would invite and entertain during our pre-planned visits to the club. C33 was not designed--and for the most part could not be used -- as a place for members to just drop into for relaxation and socializing with fellow members.
    As I noted back on page #18: "In the 'suggestions' department, I would like to see the Trophy Room redone into a members-only lounge, where C33ers could just casually drop in for an impromptu drink, snack, or just a few minutes' quiet refuge. No reservations, no unaccompanied guests. This would turn it into that much more of a members' club than just a dining room."

I redid this into a letter to Manager Jeannie and sent it off yesterday. If you and other C33 members here like the idea, how about sending similar letters?

It would be easy enough to furnish the TR along the lines of an airline airport club, with furniture that could easily be moved to an adjacent storage area if the TR is needed for a dinner party. C33 could make some extra $s from drinks and possibly appetizer-type snack service.

But to work I think it would need to be strictly limited to "members only". No unaccompanied comps. This would once again keep it uncrowded and dignified enough to suit Ms. Poppins.

The new 1901 Lounge will provide that opportunity for the first time and I am looking forward to having that real private club experience. It doesn't matter that there will be a public bar in very close proximity--the 1901 Lounge by all accounts should be less crouded, will only include groups with a member present and will be a nice place to drop in and relax to escape the more hectic public areas inside the resort.
    Has anyone found a detailed description, rules, photos, concept art, etc. of the 1901L on the Net yet? I haven't, and I am curious as to whether it will be a casual club/lounge as you suggest or just, like C33, a reservation-restaurant.

I think if I'd had the call, I'd have located it atop the HTH. The view complemented by screams would have been très atmospheric.

As one suggestion, I would like to see the Club 33 card become an unlimited fast pass. This type of benefit is given to certain hotel guests that stay in suites at the resort hotel for Disneyland Paris (I think it is called a "platinum fast pass" and it can be used an unlimited number of times without waiting for the prior fast pass time to expire). I suspect that non-C33 members may object to this type of benefit, but it already is in use elsewhere for the guests that are paying the most to attend visit the Disney resorts and, with the new platinum pricing, that will certainly apply to new and upgraded C33 members.
    It isn't part of the DLC33 Platinum membership, but under #6.2.1 each C33P does get six immediate-use FPs per visit. It's not clear that accompanied guests would share this perk, however, so the C33P might wind up riding solo. Another wrinkle to be ironed out.

While not mentioned in the new rulebook, the traditional member perks of use of the Lily Belle, riding with the DLRR engineers, and riding with the Mark Twain pilot are still there. There seems to be some confusion about how C33-exclusive these are now, because it's my impression that any Park visitor can request and usually be granted any of these. At the risk of sounding selfish, I miss the C33 exclusivity particularly of the LB, since it conveys that same "fantasy of elegance" that the Club itself exudes. Sharing the car with a large, noisy family group is just not the same!
    ______
    Rachane

...As one suggestion, I would like to see the Club 33 card become an unlimited fast pass. This type of benefit is given to certain hotel guests that stay in suites at the resort hotel for Disneyland Paris (I think it is called a "platinum fast pass" and it can be used an unlimited number of times without waiting for the prior fast pass time to expire).
    It would be even better if it worked like the 2 fastpass ticket given to DLR guests (the promotion ran all summer, and a new promotion recently started). This special ticket can be used with any fastpass machine, and an immediately valid fastpass is issued (with a limit of 2). The Club 33 card could function the same way (except unlimited). DLR is distributing hundreds of these special tickets every day, so giving the same capability to a few Club 33 members seems reasonable.

• Knight of Naughtyness

There seems to be some confusion about how C33-exclusive these are now, because it's my impression that any Park visitor can request and usually be granted any of these. At the risk of sounding selfish, I miss the C33 exclusivity particularly of the LB, since it conveys that same "fantasy of elegance" that the Club itself exudes. Sharing the car with a large, noisy family group is just not the same!
    Carolwood has always enjoyed the perk of being able to ride the LB.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Has anyone found a detailed description, rules, photos, concept art, etc. of the 1901L on the Net yet? I haven't, and I am curious as to whether it will be a casual club/lounge as you suggest or just, like C33, a reservation-restaurant.

I have a copy of the plans. The space allocated for the lounge has about 10 seating groups with a few barstools at the bar. Two single bathroom stalls. Not a very large space, but could easily serve the purpose of a lounge. At this size, I don't see the availability to sell memberships for the lounge only. It looks to only serve those at the platinum level.
    Last edited by Disneynut; 01-13-2012 at 06:06 AM.

• Minion

I have been told the 1901 will be a casual lounge, drinks and appies only, no restaurant.

It isn't part of the DLC33 Platinum membership, but under #6.2.1 each C33P does get six immediate-use FPs per visit. It's not clear that accompanied guests would share this perk, however, so the C33P might wind up riding solo. Another wrinkle to be ironed out.
    As you probably know since you are a member, this is a current perk, it is limited to just the member to get the 6 FP and they can give them to guests. How they use them is up to the member.

While not mentioned in the new rulebook, the traditional member perks of use of the Lily Belle, riding with the DLRR engineers, and riding with the Mark Twain pilot are still there. There seems to be some confusion about how C33-exclusive these are now, because it's my impression that any Park visitor can request and usually be granted any of these.
    When with a club member, we have never been placed in the car with another family. We have had to wait on the Mark Twain for several laps to get to visit the pilot house while non-members were ahead of us for the trip.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I have been told the 1901 will be a casual lounge, drinks and appies only, no restaurant.
    The more I think of it, the more I like the idea of an elegant spot atop the HTH. Besides the elevators aren't as slow as the one in C33.

As you probably know since you are a member, this is a current perk, it is limited to just the member to get the 6 FP and they can give them to guests. How they use them is up to the member.
    Actually I wasn't aware of it; must have missed it in the fine print. In the 2012 Rules pamphlet this is mentioned only under the Platinum benefits section (#6). I called C33 this morning to enquire. It does continue as the same benefit for all memberships (S/G/P). The first six times you insert your C33 card in any FP machine, it produces an instant FP; thereafter it produces normal, timeslot-specified ones. Very nice.

When with a club member, we have never been placed in the car with another family. We have had to wait on the Mark Twain for several laps to get to visit the pilot house while non-members were ahead of us for the trip.
    I asked about these benefits today too:

(1) The Lily Belle is supposed to be a C33-only benefit. The member goes to City Hall and gets a ticket to show at the Main Street station [LB doesn't board at any other station, since this is conceived as a round-the-Park trip.] The conductor is not supposed to let other parties on with you. Conductors/City Hall do have the option to "create a magical moment" for non-C33ers by issuing LB tickets for a special occasion, but this is not supposed to add passengers to an already-ticketed C33 trip.

(2) Riding with the DLRR engineers in the locomotive cab continues to be a C33-exclusive benefit. If you've never done it, I do recommend it not just for the sensation but the wonderful conversation with the engineers. The railroad is of course a major story in itself, and there's a superb website about this as well.

(3) The Mark Twain pilot house is indeed open to everyone, first-come/first-served. Again in addition to the view, it's a great opportunity to chat with the captain [and not quite as noisy as the DLRR!]. When I took this trip with some friends in 1998, we all received elegant MT Pilot's Certificates at the end - with the date & personally signed by Walt (proving that he was still alive and prowling the Park).
    ______
    Rachane

• Minion

(1) The Lily Belle is supposed to be a C33-only benefit. The member goes to City Hall and gets a ticket to show at the Main Street station [LB doesn't board at any other station, since this is conceived as a round-the-Park trip.] The conductor is not supposed to let other parties on with you. Conductors/City Hall do have the option to "create a magical moment" for non-C33ers by issuing LB tickets for a special occasion, but this is not supposed to add passengers to an already-ticketed C33 trip.
    Interesting, as that is not how we have ever done it. We've simply gone to the Main St station and boarded the next time it arrived. I have also boarded in Tomorrowland (full trip from there.) We usually get our tickets out of the drawer in the Lilly Belle.

(2) Riding with the DLRR engineers in the locomotive cab continues to be a C33-exclusive benefit. If you've never done it, I do recommend it not just for the sensation but the wonderful conversation with the engineers. The railroad is of course a major story in itself, and there's a superb website about this as well.
    Again interesting as we have done this without a club member present.

(3) The Mark Twain pilot house is indeed open to everyone, first-come/first-served. Again in addition to the view, it's a great opportunity to chat with the captain [and not quite as noisy as the DLRR!]. When I took this trip with some friends in 1998, we all received elegant MT Pilot's Certificates at the end - with the date & personally signed by Walt (proving that he was still alive and prowling the Park).
    My nieces loved getting those.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Just as with the Lilly Belle, I also have had a tender ride. While 1 and 2 are not "official" benefits for Carolwood Members, many of the Disneyland Railroad CMs are Carolwood members, and Carolwood has hosted Train Crew events for Disneyland Railroad CMs at Walt's Barn. There is a relationship between these groups, and they almost always oblige to let Carolwood Members do 1 and 2 on your list.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• I must say!

Does anyone know if the VIP tours are good at Disney World as well, or just Disneyland?

QUESTION: As a business friend of someone with a 33 membership... Can guests still go without the member to the park and dine without the free park hopper? Or does the member HAVE to be present with the guest after they have used up their 50 free park hoppers? Basically is it still possible for us non-members to get in if the member does not want to use one of their 50 on us but still wants to give us the privilege to dine without them present?

Quote Originally Posted by stephigo View Post
    QUESTION: As a business friend of someone with a 33 membership... Can guests still go without the member to the park and dine without the free park hopper? Or does the member HAVE to be present with the guest after they have used up their 50 free park hoppers? Basically is it still possible for us non-members to get in if the member does not want to use one of their 50 on us but still wants to give us the privilege to dine without them present?
    I too have a business friend with a membership and have reservations made on my behalf to attend C33.
    Yes, Guests can still go without the member being there. They can make you a reservation and you just show up at the restaurant at your appointed time. If they are not comping you, you pay your way into the park as well as the for the meal.

I have enjoyed many a free meal/trip to the park in the past as a guest so I have no problems with paying my way now. I also have a Deluxe AP so dont need the comp pass anyway. I am just happy that I still can attend C33 with the good graces of a kind current member. :-)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by brian11811 View Post
    This is an outrage! My monical popped out and I invoulentararily spat out my caviar reading this thread. I must summon my servants to remedy this situation.
    Huh?

To Steph, yes, as long as you have entrance into the park OR your business associate is willing to use one of his/her comp passes for you, you can still dine without your friend.