Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13202122232425263348 ... LastLast

Question Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Also, this tour would need to be quite small, as the Club can really only handle about 65 guests.
    Actually C33 can handle sit-down private parties of up to 100 people per its banquet-planning literature, but that would still probably mean disappointing some D23ers, assuming that D23 is pretty big and the $250@ isn't a deterrent [as it seems not to be at least on MChat].

The "... and drinks" is also notable, since it suggests that this is an adults-intended function. Within Disneyland that probably does mean C33; outside the berm D23 would have to private-party one of the restaurants which could rise to a $250@ menu, such as the Napa Rose. But again most of the activities seem to involve Main Street & New Orleans Square, so telling everyone to "fall out and fall in at the Grand Californian" would seem to be awkward. [The GC does have large banquet facilities and can handle menus substantially above rubber-chicken.]

How D23 intends to process large numbers of people through the two apartments and the Lilly Belle is also problematical. Assigned appointment times throughout the day, I suppose; then you'd need to plan to be in the Park the whole day.

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice ...
    ______
    Rachane

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    I'd be paying that $250 ON TOP of the $600 in travel costs, and I feel it would be worth it (if it is indeed Club 33), as I can't ever see getting the chance to tour the apartment and/or visit Club 33 again.
    I agree, it seems worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by boy33 View Post
    It's Club 33. Trust me.
    OK, I'll trust you.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post

I asked about these benefits today too:

(1) The Lily Belle is supposed to be a C33-only benefit. The member goes to City Hall and gets a ticket to show at the Main Street station [LB doesn't board at any other station, since this is conceived as a round-the-Park trip.] The conductor is not supposed to let other parties on with you. Conductors/City Hall do have the option to "create a magical moment" for non-C33ers by issuing LB tickets for a special occasion, but this is not supposed to add passengers to an already-ticketed C33 trip.

(2) Riding with the DLRR engineers in the locomotive cab continues to be a C33-exclusive benefit. If you've never done it, I do recommend it not just for the sensation but the wonderful conversation with the engineers. The railroad is of course a major story in itself, and there's a superb website about this as well.

(3) The Mark Twain pilot house is indeed open to everyone, first-come/first-served. Again in addition to the view, it's a great opportunity to chat with the captain [and not quite as noisy as the DLRR!]. When I took this trip with some friends in 1998, we all received elegant MT Pilot's Certificates at the end - with the date & personally signed by Walt (proving that he was still alive and prowling the Park).
    Other folks may have already replied to this, but I can confirm that any park guest can request a ride on the Lily Belle, the tender behind the engineer, or the pilot house in the Mark Twain. I've been in the Lily Belle (not a very crowded day, no trip to City Hall...we simply asked and it wasn't full) and the Pilot House, at least one of my friends has done the Tender ride (wasn't a member of either group...waited in line for a few trains to go by and then was told yes.) . If I was a member of Club 33 or Carolwood and was told specifically that these were exclusive privileges, I would be rather upset. Maybe the INTENT of the information here is to let you know that Club 33 and/or Carolwood members will be assured of one of these rides while the general public might be turned away if there is a line.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 02-09-2012 at 07:18 AM.

My assumption is that it won't be Club 33. But will the the old restaurant in Adventure-land next to the Jungle Cruise. They already discussed doing this at the D23Expo. It will be a very special and fun event. For $250, I can't see them doing Club 33.

It is Club 33. I don't know why some people don't want to believe it or think its something else. As others pointed out on another thread, they have the same dress code as Club 33 for dinner.

Wow, the event sold out in seconds (guess its a lot cheaper way to get into Club 33 than paying for a membership). Now D23 posted on facebook....

"We're excited about the enthusiastic response for our Disneyland Off The Map event and appreciate your feedback. These special venues have limited capacity, and we are looking to repeat this event in the future to accommodate more guests. Thanks for your understanding."

I feel bad enough for the members already having the value of their membership reduced at higher prices and then Disney offering the public dinner at the club just to sell it out quickly and then say they want to repeat the event to accommodate more guests.

If this is true it really devalues Club 33. I wouldn't understand staying a member after this.

• Lost in Wonderland

I read through this entire thread. And as being a huge Disneyland fan (and Club 33 admirer) I am saddened to see how Disney are addressing the "changes" at C33.

As stated before I was a little surprised at how much C33 cost. I really thought that yearly dues were already $10k. I haven't researched to how much C33 cost for 10 years (last time I checked I was just out of high school and had thought about getting on the waiting list in 2001). Of course I would've been one of those people who hoped that they would have the funding come the 10 year wait Sadly even at previous Gold prices I wouldn't have been able to do it.

But even though I am not a member of C33 or D23 I think it to give D23 members a "rare" dinner at C33 just as they are asking all new C33 members to be 10k platinum really cheapens the club. Being a huge Disney fanatic I would've loved to get my hands on those $250 dinners through D23 but if I had been a member of C33 I would've been furious. Especially if I was paying platinum prices.

Just my two cents. I really hope Disney gets it together and changes their C33 policies if they are going to turn C33 into a special events venue.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by adormouse View Post
    ...even though I am not a member of C33 or D23 I think it to give D23 members a "rare" dinner at C33 just as they are asking all new C33 members to be 10k platinum really cheapens the club. Being a huge Disney fanatic I would've loved to get my hands on those $250 dinners through D23 but if I had been a member of C33 I would've been furious. Especially if I was paying platinum prices.
    Bingo. Nice way for Disney to add insult to injury. But that's today's corporate Disney for you -- when they shoot themselves in the foot, they go for all ten toes.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

...But even though I am not a member of C33 or D23 I think it to give D23 members a "rare" dinner at C33 just as they are asking all new C33 members to be 10k platinum really cheapens the club. Being a huge Disney fanatic I would've loved to get my hands on those $250 dinners through D23 but if I had been a member of C33 I would've been furious. Especially if I was paying platinum prices.
    I agree that that the D23 event does reduce the exclusivity of C33.
    On the other hand, the nearly instantaneous sellout of the D23 event shows the huge number of people who want to dine at C33 -- which might increase interest in C33 membership.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    I agree that that the D23 event does reduce the exclusivity of C33.
    On the other hand, the nearly instantaneous sellout of the D23 event shows the huge number of people who want to dine at C33 -- which might increase interest in C33 membership.
    I think there is a huge difference between being able to buy a ticket to dine there once vs getting a membership. I see it as the opposite, I feel it decreases interest in a Club 33 membership. Why pay the initiation fees and annual dues if I can just buy tickets from D23 to dine there on occasion.

• Senior Minion

And you can be guaranteed that this D23 event is not the only time Disney will milk their C33 cash cow. Their arrogant attitude of "If you don't like it we have thousands of customers waiting to take your place" is so blatant they should have it printed on T-shirts.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost View Post
    I think there is a huge difference between being able to buy a ticket to dine there once vs getting a membership. I see it as the opposite, I feel it decreases interest in a Club 33 membership. Why pay the initiation fees and annual dues if I can just buy tickets from D23 to dine there on occasion.
    If you are part of D23 I would say its highly unlikely you are going to be able to afford C33. Just saying. Unless you are on the wait list so you join D23 in the mean time, especially now since dues are $10k.

If word spreads a lot, methinks, to current C33 members and perhaps future C33 members that you can get dinner at C33 for $250 through special D23 offers (and since they already stated they would be doing more in the future) the "making C33 more exclusive" excuse is thrown right out the window in Disney's defense. Said before that members were complaining about the riff-raff.

Honestly if I had the money and heard both about C33's increase and D23 offering the dinners and that D23 said they were going to do it in the future, I would just save my $10k per year and just buy a couple of the $250 dinner tickets. I am really starting to believe that disneynut was right into eventually turning C33 over to the public in the future as just another restaurant with higher meal prices and/or a more expensive special events venue.

• I Can Show You the World

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    I say here....should I be wrong, I will eat my words and buy churros for everyone in this thread.
    Just responding in case you're wrong so I can get a free churro

Smile Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

If I had been a member of C33 I would've been furious. Especially if I was paying platinum prices ... I really hope Disney gets it together and changes their C33 policies if they are going to turn C33 into a special events venue.
    Private parties are routinely held at C33; they just need to be arranged/sponsored by a member. I sponsored a U.S. Army Special Forces dinner there once, including a visit by Mickey. You should have seen all those grizzled Vietnam vets singing the "MMC Anthem".

As I noted previously, 3/6 is a Tuesday when C33 is closed for dinner. So why should it bother anyone for D23 to enjoy a special treat there? Most D23ers probably can't afford C33 membership [particularly in the Platinum era], so I think it's nice for them to enjoy a private party there.

As with Disney generally, I think that C33's best part is being able to share it with others: visitor companions, unaccompanied friends [within reason, not crowding out other members, which the new 50@ comp limit helps to ensure], and private parties. All of these things have been going on for decades, and not one of them has hurt the Club's mysterious glamor.
    ______
    Rachane

• Hiding from the Sheeple

I said it before and I will say it again. Disney routinely lies and tries to jedi-mind-trick you into believing that a reduction in benefits and an increase in price is really an attempt to give you an improved experience. Every "perk" they offer members is something you can now buy on the open market.

Just for fun, I placed a call to Disney Meetings and asked if Club 33 was available for corporate and private events (without the event being sponsored by a member). I was told the venue would be available later in the year and they would contact me when details firm up.

My love of Disney will not allow me to blindly drink the Kool-aid. We are already seeing how the switch in operational control of Club 33 from the foods department to a corporate division is being used to bring in the cash. This is only the start, you will see. Disney is no longer willing to cater to a small, select group of people who spend a large amount of money. They would much rather open Club 33 to the masses and milk it for all it is worth.

For me, it is an outright insult that they stripped members of almost all exclusive benefits and now someone with a mere $250.00 gets access to exclusive perks such as such as Walt's Main Street apartment. I said in the start of this thread that D23 was a much better offer than Club 33 membership and I stand by that statement.
    Last edited by Disneynut; 02-11-2012 at 08:54 AM.