Page 24 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14212223242526273449 ... LastLast

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post

Private parties are routinely held at C33; they just need to be arranged/sponsored by a member.
    Yeah, but I do agree there is a big difference between setting up a special occasion, or inviting a group to participate... vs commercializing it and selling spots to participate. Don't you think?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Yeah, but I do agree there is a big difference between setting up a special occasion, or inviting a group to participate... vs commercializing it and selling spots to participate. Don't you think?
    If a member sells spots, they would have problems with the Club, but I guess it is ok if Disney itself can do this?
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Smile Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

I don't see the distinction. If you arrange a private party at C33 [on one of its member-closed days], someone needs to pay the bill for opening/staffing the Club and for the meal proper. If its a rich corporation or host, great. Otherwise the attendees need to share it.

I was under the impression that any private party booked for the Club required a member to sponsor it, but according to "Disneynut" this is not necessary for a reputable big company or corporation. I doubt that an individual nonmember could do it; I'll ask the next time I have occasion to call the office.

If C33 is the dinner spot for this D23 event, I'm guessing that the bulk of that $250@ pricetag is for the special opening of & meal by C33. It doesn't cost anything to let people ride the LB or look at the two apartments, after all.

As previously, I don't in the least mind sharing the elegance and mystery of C33 with Disneyphiles who couldn't normally afford it, particularly at times when the Club is normally closed for member-reservations. I don't think of the Club the way Scrooge McDuck regards his money bin! [I would start having a problem if non-members/events began to crowd out the dues-paying members, but then C33 is moving in the right direction to curb that by the 50-comp/year@ limit.]
    Last edited by Rachane; 02-11-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    ______
    Rachane

• Pilot EdForceOne

[SIZE=3][FONT=georgia]
    I don't see the distinction. If you arrange a private party at C33 [on one of its member-closed days], someone needs to pay the bill for opening/staffing the Club and for the meal proper. If its a rich corporation or host, great. Otherwise the attendees need to share it.
    Well, when you goto say a birthday party or a someone hosting a party like a superbowl party.. you don't tend to 'share' the costs. It's a party hosted by someone.

Compare that to someone renting out a location.. and then charging admission or tickets to the event.

Now imagine if that location were your home.. or private club. I see a very big distinction. Especially when the location has been set aside for the use of members only.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Lost in Wonderland

Well, when you goto say a birthday party or a someone hosting a party like a superbowl party.. you don't tend to 'share' the costs. It's a party hosted by someone.

Compare that to someone renting out a location.. and then charging admission or tickets to the event.

Now imagine if that location were your home.. or private club. I see a very big distinction. Especially when the location has been set aside for the use of members only.
    I totally agree with this. Stated before I am not a C33 member nor a D23 member. Would I have loved a dinner/tour of C33? Bet you I would. Do I think it cheapens it by selling "tickets" to events? I sure do!

Because Disney won't stop there. They turned my beloved Disney Gallery into a Disney Suite. Walt's Apartment can be rented out. I feel that yes, although its nice to "share" C33 with the general public, I feel pretty soon it will be just that...C33 will be open to the general public which will then have lost all of its mystique and original purpose.

Smile Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

When I arranged a private dinner there for fellow Green Berets, each paid for his own [& wife's] meal. I kicked in the extra $100 or so for Mickey to show up. [We should have presented him with an honorary GB, but we didn't think of it.]

I think it would get more complicated, say, if a nonmember corporation attempted to reserve the Club and then sold dinner tickets to employees. I suspect C33 wouldn't go along with that, but I don't know how it could check on it either. That is something you'd have to ask the office about.

I expect Disneyland also has some suitability guidelines for private parties. If you're Elizabeth Taylor, you can rent the entire Park for a bash. If you're the local Hells Angels chapter, it might be more problematical.

---------- Post added 02-11-2012 at 01:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by adormouse View Post
    They turned my beloved Disney Gallery into a Disney Suite.
    Actually they just moved it over to Main Street.

Walt's Apartment can be rented out.
    Hadn't heard that. Details? Though I suspect it would be cheaper to get a fancy suite over at the Grand Californian.

I feel that yes, although its nice to "share" C33 with the general public, I feel pretty soon it will be just that...C33 will be open to the general public which will then have lost all of its mystique and original purpose.
    One D23 private party, even if it becomes an annual event, isn't the Thunder Mountain runaway train. And, as noted, C33 has always been available for private parties at non-member-open times.
    ______
    Rachane

• Gumball Rally Godfather

... I kicked in the extra $100 or so for Mickey to show up.
    With emphasis on the "or so". Nobody gets a meet-n-greet with The Mouse for $100.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    With emphasis on the "or so". Nobody gets a meet-n-greet with The Mouse for $100.
    Yep. Last I had heard/checked it was $850.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

I think it would get more complicated, say, if a nonmember corporation attempted to reserve the Club and then sold dinner tickets to employees. I suspect C33 wouldn't go along with that, but I don't know how it could check on it either. That is something you'd have to ask the office about.

I think this is part of the problem. Club 33 management (or the two ladies in the back room) is no longer in control of any of this. The answers they are giving people are either not honest or they are clearly misinformed. They no longer have the power to veto decisions made by those at the corporate level.

You and I both know the outright revolt from a large part of the membership when they sold the Club 33 door pin to the public. They made the special Walt's locket pin to calm everyone down. Now, they let outside groups in, for profit no less (what you as a member are prohibited from doing) without a member sponsor and everyone is ok with it? Either it is exclusive or it is not, you can't have it both ways. The ability to make dinner reservations in a now, non-exclusive club does not warrant an annual fee of $10,000 or even $3,750. Other than the ability to make reservations for yourself or others, there is not a single exclusive benefit available only to members.

One D23 private party, even if it becomes an annual event, isn't the Thunder Mountain runaway train. And, as noted, C33 has always been available for private parties at non-member-open times.

I have to disagree. How can one argue that a limit to member benefits makes it more exclusive and then ignore the fact that Disney is selling access (even on a limited basis) to those who have not had to wait years or pay a membership fee? It is a giant slap across the face to all members. It is exactly what I said would happen when we discussed a change in operational control of the club. I find it funny how the thread started with members who were outraged by these actions and now as it gets worse and worse they seem to want to sweep this under the rug. It seems to me like there is going to be a lot of buyers remorse for those who renewed for the "improved" Club 33 membership.

---------- Post added 02-11-2012 at 05:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Yep. Last I had heard/checked it was $850.
    Did it go up that much? Last time I purchased this it was $150.00 for 20 minutes.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    How can one argue that a limit to member benefits makes it more exclusive and then ignore the fact that Disney is selling access (even on a limited basis) to those who have not had to wait years or pay a membership fee? It is a giant slap across the face to all members.
    It is a slap across the face to all longtime loyal Disneyland customers -- C33 members, member hopefuls and nonmembers alike.

One D23 private party, even if it becomes an annual event, isn't the Thunder Mountain runaway train.
    Annual? Try twice a week. When the first batch of $250 tickets sells out within seconds, the chances are slim and none that Disney won't power-vacuum every last egg from this golden goose as fast as they can.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It is a slap across the face to all longtime loyal Disneyland customers -- C33 members, member hopefuls and nonmembers alike.

Annual? Try twice a week. When the first batch of $250 tickets sells out within seconds, the chances are slim and none that Disney won't power-vacuum every last egg from this golden goose as fast as they can.
    Now, if Disneynut has the inside word that this dinner will be at Club 33, it is very disheartening. However, we do not know 100% that it is at the Club.

As for the first set of tickets going so quickly, Disney now knows how fast they will sell, and can up the price, so I doubt the next round will be $250.

I still doubt it is dinner at the Club, but I do usually believe Disneynut. Supposedly there were 250 tickets sold at $250, and even if they do 2 seatings, there just isn't enough space at the Club for this. Even 100 means both the main dining room and the trophy rooms will be used with no room for prepping a large party. But if they do it buffet style, they could probably do 2 seatings. But even that would mean the second seating would be starting shortly before the park closes, so if it is the Club, the second seating is the better option!

To Disneynut - $850 was what I was quoted last summer. Maybe I heard wrong, but I am fairly sure I heard right.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    My sources tell me that it is indeed a meal at Club 33...all for the low price of $250.00. All I have to say is "I told you so"...exactly what I said in this thread is what is happening. Triple the price and less benefits and now it is not even exclusive to members and their guests.
    Correct me if I'm wrong
    but this isn't the first time they've sold seats for a dinner at C33
    I could swear back in 2002 they sold dinner at C33 for the HMH party.
    It was part of the highly priced package, but I'm fairly sure dinner was served there.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Annual [D23 dinners]? Try twice a week. When the first batch of $250 tickets sells out within seconds, the chances are slim and none that Disney won't power-vacuum every last egg from this golden goose as fast as they can.
    Right you are. I can even see how Disney will spin this one. "Well, the Club's closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so we can use those for D23 days. It's a perfect compromise!" After a year or so, D23 days will become public days "due to overwhelming demand." Meanwhile, they'll burn through that waiting list as fast as possible. Then, finally, the endgame: to model C33 after the Carthay Circle in DCA, where the Trophy Room will be members only and the main dining room for general seating.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong
    but this isn't the first time they've sold seats for a dinner at C33
    I could swear back in 2002 they sold dinner at C33 for the HMH party.
    It was part of the highly priced package, but I'm fairly sure dinner was served there.
    You are 100% correct. They also sold a meal for the NFFC event as well. The membership came unglued about these incidents and everyone was told "never again". As I said, I don't blame Club management for this (although I do blame them for other mistakes). They no longer have control over their space.

• Timelord

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I still doubt it is dinner at the Club, but I do usually believe Disneynut. Supposedly there were 250 tickets sold at $250, and even if they do 2 seatings, there just isn't enough space at the Club for this.
    The D23 FB page said 30 tickets were made available / sold.

edit: I actually don't see that information on the FB page anymore, but multiple people in the Off the Map thread have mentioned the 30 tickets.