Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl12 View Post
    Add me to the list of potential club members who are very grateful for this thread. As many others in the "potential" member category, it has been a dream of mine for years to have the opportunity to join Club 33. Although the new platinum membership includes many perks that are "better" for me personally than those previously enjoyed by members, what this thread has really brought home is the risk of joining based on the current perks.
    I'm in the same situation.

...Based on how I think I will use the club, I can justify the $10k per year dues. I think I could get my money's worth with the perks as described today. But what this thread has helped me see is that it's the $25k that is at risk. Basically, I'd be paying a huge initiation fee for no guarantee of anything after year one. That's hard to stomach. One would *think* that Disney would not do something to so violate the "trust" of their members who have joined with certain perks in mind, but as this thread has pointed out, to many people they have already done so.
    All major upgrades to the Resort are finally complete, which makes this the optimal time to "reboot" Club 33. This reduces my worry that major changes will happen every year. Of course, there are no guarantees...

P.S. And don't worry, you will never get a private message dining request from me!
    I already received spam PM. There was also a request in this thread.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Herein lies the rub. The previous "rule" was that members could have 1 sign in a day in addition to their card and spouses card. For example, if Member A wanted to bring his/her grandchild for the day, they could sign him in. No meal required. Or they could have a party of 30 to the club for a party and everyone could have a comp ticket if they attended the meal. That ended. Now they get 50 1 day passes they can use however they wish, whether it is with or without a meal.
    It had always been my experience that any visit without a member required an advance reservation at Club 33 by the member on your behalf. If on the day of the event your party did not show up to willcall to pick up the tickets, or if your party decided to cancel the reservation at 33, the member would then be billed for the cost of the comp'd tickets. If the party went through with the plans then the cost of the meal was covered by the party and the tickets were simply comp'd. If a member was with you, then I believe they had the ability to sign individuals in. I am not a member, so I leave it to the members on here to either verify or correct this statement.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Herein lies the rub. The previous "rule" was that members could have 1 sign in a day in addition to their card and spouses card. For example, if Member A wanted to bring his/her grandchild for the day, they could sign him in. No meal required. Or they could have a party of 30 to the club for a party and everyone could have a comp ticket if they attended the meal. That ended. Now they get 50 1 day passes they can use however they wish, whether it is with or without a meal.
    I've been reading these discussions about the 50 comps rule and have been thinking...well how many guests do members need to bring in to the park each year anyway? I've lurked and followed the discussion if Disney lied and thought...well who exactly promised what and what lie actually was told? As someone who's been on the Club 33 waitlist since 2006, I've been excited about the prospect that I actually may soon receive an invitation and weighing whether or not I would join. And I haven't been able to decide. But this post, somehow, made it click for me. I think it was the image of popping out a Club 33 card to get a grandkid in the gates of Disneyland that did it.

The value proposition of Club 33 for me has changed. The mystery is gone. The possibilities are no longer endless - they are defined and calculable. Now, it seems to be some sort of "VIP Package" that can be quantified with a dollar value. I'm making calculations in my mind of how many times I could go to Napa Rose, how many DVC points I could buy, what Disney cruises I could go on, or yes other non-Disney options I have for that kind of money. Getting a Club 33 letter is no longer an invitation that I'd regret passing up forever, but an invite to this year's Disney deal that doesn't quite add up for me.

Here's my take. Before, not only did many of the Club 33 members trust Disney, but Disney trusted the members. They gave them membership that was not limited or defined and they trusted the members to use it honorably. And I suspect that most, if not almost all, used the membership admirably - not wanting to break the trust with Disney or fellow members. Members didn't have to add up all their visits to see "if they got their monies worth." They just knew the Club was worth the money. But with 50 passes, 4 VIP tours, 4 APs, members now have to do calculations to make sure they're not throwing away their money I really don't think need another package, AP pass, D23 type membership or more rules or deals to figure out. The only way I'd spend that kind of money if what I got in return was "priceless," and I don't think Club 33 has that anymore.

But part of me secretly wishes one of you members could convince me otherwise...

Happima,

I have been a member for a fairly long time. I have no Idea what the future holds for the
    club because of the dramatic changes that have recently taken place. I know that in the past we had private "club 33" events in New Orleans Square with a Jazz band, Cigars and a 3 course meal, for 80 members and guests. This event was topped off by watching Fantasmic twice when the park was closed. A lifetime memory that was worth everything I paid. But times change. Now, they use the off season when performers are training for the summer Fantasmic show, as a special Annual Pass holder event.

I think any special event that Disney entertains for Club 33 members they will conclude if we offer some version of that to the public (D23) they can make meaningful profits.

Maybe we will get to go a day earlier before everyone else who is willing to pay 500.00 a
    plate for the experience.

Sadly, I think it will be many wine Dinners for members and i would rather go to Mr. Stox.

Quote Originally Posted by backin33 View Post
    Sadly, I think it will be many wine Dinners for members and i would rather go to Mr. Stox.
    If you visit Mr. Stox, be sure to stop by and harass good ol' Dr. Lee! He's been putting in quite a few hours lately. I miss him at the club, what a funny chap and a master of the five minute bartender/customer conversation. Stox does have a wonderful wine cellar, I love the medieval design.

Quote Originally Posted by happima View Post

But part of me secretly wishes one of you members could convince me otherwise...
    If the historical significance and uniqueness of Club 33 had not been completely annihilated by Disney management, I would have been the first to encourage your membership and welcome you on board.
    As of this benefit change and the mediocre marketing attempts to sign on more guests, I would gladly return my membership card if all invested funds would be returned. Many of us have invested so much in our membership, we're not willing to give it up just yet.
    If Disney greed continues to dominate all aspects of guest relations and they eliminate 'Gold' level memberships, therein forcing us to 'go platinum or nothing', we'll resign.
    At least we'll be able to walk by the 'no see'um green door' and say to ourselves 'We were members when being a member really meant something.'
    I still cannot believe how my feelings for Disney management have changed!
    I guess the next marketing attempt by Disney will be someone on the corner of Katella and Harbor Blvd. spinning a cardboard sign and handing out flyers, 'Club 33 memberships now available!'
    Name:  mickey-mouse-sad1.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  19.6 KB

de gustibus non est disputandum
    Last edited by David A; 05-24-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    I would agree to an extent. BUT...what everyone keeps missing is that the club was sold as a way to entertain people. It was never designed for your guests to pay for their admission, EVER
    Wise man say: Never say "EVER."

Club 33 history lesson: When the Club first opened in 1967 up to sometime in 1976, complimentary Disneyland admission was NOT a membership benefit for Guest Reservations. Complimentary admission for Guests was only provided when the Member personally accompanied the dining party. The Club could arrange for admissions, but the Member was billed for said admissions on Guest Reservations.

This even applied to Park Participants that held Club 33 memberships (Kodak, Coke, AT&T, etc). Even for these big shot Members they often had to pay for their guests to get into the Park to dine at Club 33, or sometimes hustle down to the gate with their Silver Pass or other admission media.

Granted it was something like between $3.00 and $8.00 for a General Admission Ticket (admission to Park only...no attractions) during that time. But pay they had to.

Why did they change in '76 to add comps for Guest Reservations? Sucky economy and the desire to fill tables. Back in those days the Club was very underutilized indeed, and you'd often dine there with perhaps only 4 or 5 tables full. They also up'ed the number of memberships at some point around then for the same reason.

So I guess my Member-friend has no basis to be included in any suit that claims any sort of "drawing" expectation...as he joined when this was not a benefit!

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider
    You guys had a good run with the ulimited sign-ins, but Disney is changing the rules and is limiting it to 50 comp tickets per year.
    This is exactly what my Member-friend said he feels...that it was a good run. I'll also convey he is actually pleased with the changes and that he (nor the other 3 Members I know that I've talked to about this) was not "lied" to about the reason for the change. They all said it was put forward as simply a way to free up space at the Club for Member Reservations and also more space for new Members. They all confirmed they assumed financial benefit for Disney as an "additional given." None of them just fell off the turnip truck, you know.

I guess it depended on who called you as to if you were given the "abuse" line. Clearly not everyone was. My guess is that some Cast felt it was abuse and unwisely called it such. But others simply called it "overutilized with Guest Reservations" or some other less caustic term.

So those glass half-full folks can actually say "It's just come back full circle to the way it was when Walt first conceived the Club."

Well...sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Why did they change in '76 to add comps for Guest Reservations? Sucky economy and the desire to fill tables. Back in those days the Club was very underutilized indeed, and you'd often dine there with perhaps only 4 or 5 tables full. They also up'ed the number of memberships at some point around then for the same reason.
    Opus1guy, old friend, you have struck a most valuable vein of logic and common sense.
    Disney realized that more diners meant more money. That logic hasn't changed nor have the accounting techniques and methodology from which they drew the data for justification of such change.

The changes which occurred in 2012 however, in my most humble opinion, are purely a cash grab, profiting from the popularity of the club and testing the willingness of people to become a part of something that was exceptionally special. This is much like 'The Kings New Clothes', and there are only a few of us who dare speak so bold as to call it like it is.
    It's pure fodder. Disney can paint a pig, put pearls on it, draw Mickey on the side, but guess what? It's still just a swine. Oh, tickets to see the pig are only $15.00 on top of your park admission. It's in the stables near the back of the park and tickets to get in there are only $30.00, on top of the pig ticket and park admission. For $1000.00 per plate, you can eat the pig next Sunday. Yum! They'll sell everything but the squeal!

Disney is thinking that the club is so extremely popular that people will still purchase a ticket for the opportunity to eat there, well, some will, most will not. I feel guilty sending guests there (unless that have AP's) paying ridiculously high prices for food, which in comparison to Musso & Franks, The Smoke House, Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Tam O'Shanter or Lawry's, is sub-par. The food is good, don't get me wrong, but the portions can be laughable and the prices are now becoming something of a joke. It's just food people, there's nothing magical or mysterious about it. I know first hand that if Marcel was given more free reign, he could turn the club into something beyond expectations, something people would gladly pay big dollars for, but that would mean slightly lower profits and The Mouse will not allow that.

As I've stated previously, they should have left the club alone.

• ***PIXIEDUSTER***

***MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE?***

ALOHA!
    My name is Jimi. My 2-year anniversary is coming up June 15th....

Unfortunate for me that I've talk to ***** at the Club,
    And My name is NOT Quite there yet... They had a mix up,
    When converting to computer systems...

We are both APs, and will be there 15-19th of June.
    The 18th is My Birthday BTW...

I'm going out on a limb of SHAMELESS BEGGING:

....ARE THERE ANY PIXIEDUSTER OUT THERE that can
    Help get us a meal in the Club for one of those evenings?
    Or lunch? .... I'm not even sure what the rules are anymore
    Since they've changed so many...

I also don't want to get in trouble and jeopardize yours
    Or My own membership.... ***** told me that she was trying to
    Find My 1996 application ... And of course apologetically explain
    they can't do anything YET.....

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS .... [email protected]

I hope you folks don't think this is wrong of me to do.
    I think Uncle Walt wouldn't mind me reaching out to you
    For help,..... Or just some WELL-Appreciated friendly advice
    On the matter.......

Kindest Regards,

TigTug.....
    Last edited by dland_lover; 05-28-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Cast Member name removed, per MiceChat policy.
    "Ready to help CREATE and HONOR the MAGIC!..... "

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by TigTug View Post

ALOHA!

On the matter.......

Kindest Regards,

TigTug.....
    And this would be what I was referring to. To be perfectly honest TigTug your "best bet" would be Napa Rose. Unless you made this post in jest, in which case I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I was waiting for a post like this to appear.
    Last edited by dland_lover; 05-28-2012 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Cast Member name removed, per MiceChat policy.

Techskip is correct.
    Napa Rose is beautiful and the menu changes frequently.
    Check into the Chef's Table! It's a wonderful experience, you'll never forget it!

ALOHA!

On the matter.......
    Seriously?? After over 700 tortured posts relating to the club's massive changes and the justifications therefor, you're doing a shout-out for a reservation? What in the Sam Hill are you thinking!?
    Last edited by dland_lover; 05-28-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Cast Member name removed, per MiceChat policy.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    Seriously?? After over 700 tortured posts relating to the club's massive changes and the justifications therefor, you're doing a shout-out for a reservation? What in the Sam Hill are you thinking!?
    <giggling> Thank you. I don't think he read the thread.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

ALOHA!

Unfortunate for me that I've talk to **** at the Club,

Or My own membership.... **** told me that she was trying to

On the matter.......

Kindest Regards,

TigTug.....
    I feel for you. I really do. I have been fortunate enough to dine at Club 33 due to the generosity of a MiceChat member. But it was a MiceChatter who I know very well and more importantly, who knows me just as well.

Any Club 33 member is responsible for the guest. I can't think of any member who would be willing to jepordize their membership, by getting in some random person that they don't know. I'm not saying that you are a bad person. I'm sure you are a wonderful, respectful, responsible human being.

However... members pay a LOT of money to maintain their memberships. Those memberships can be taken away at any time. If someone was to get you in, even if they stayed with you and you were to do something, even accidently, that caused them to lose their membership... well, that wouldn't be a good thing.

I recommend that you take the advice of others, and go to Napa Rose or somwhere else nice. You've put your personal email out there for the entire universe to see also, which is not always a safe and secure thing to do. That is about the most friendly advice that I can give you.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 05-28-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• "I Break Things"

<giggling> Thank you. I don't think he read the thread.
    While he likely didn't read the thread, many others may do so weeks, months, even a year or so after (who knows with Google Search). My point is this is a prominent 33 Thread and fans will glean it for tips, for members insight, and yes to possibly request admission. I just wanted to make sure the newly "outed" members were aware of the potential side effect of stating publicly they are members.

---------- Post added 05-24-2012 at 09:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    What in the Sam Hill are you thinking!?
    Who said anything about Splash Mountain? At least I assume they sent Sam over there to sing after they shut down the rotating KFC Bucket and filled it with Best Buy crap.

Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 394647484950515259 ... LastLast