Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 328435051525354555663 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 795 of 1062
  1. #781

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    112

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    Yes, you're correct. The only artwork separating the cheap flyers in DCA from those in Las Vegas is perhaps Minnie Mouse lacking her standard attire! Repulsive indeed!


    ... I walked by the club the other night and you know, I didn't even want to go in. I felt as though I was walking by a cheap European brothel where human dignity is superseded by the need for cash.
    You are too funny... First the "cash lactating bovine," now a "European brothel." Does the truth lie somewhere in between? I don't think I want to say what that might be. LOL...

  2. #782

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by DL714 View Post
    Does the truth lie somewhere in between? I don't think I want to say what that might be. LOL...
    Hi DL714,
    Thanks for understanding
    Gosh, I honestly don't know what's next with the park, my guess is pay toilets at Club 33. But you'll have to buy the tokens in the gift cabinet. Little coins with a '33' on one side and Mickey making a squinty face on the other!
    Last edited by David A; 05-26-2012 at 02:54 PM.

  3. #783

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    307

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    So much for the limited to 100 new memberships. I appreciate the fact that people are now starting to realize I was correct about what was to come. Just wait, the plan is to replace each every current member (or those still at Gold and Silver) with someone who will pay $35K and ask no questions other than where to send the check. I won't go on and on, Club 33 as we knew it is dead, plain and simple.
    The current Gold and Silver members do not need to be "replaced", but their ability to book guest reservations might be further restricted. This would only take place once there are a large number of Platinum members, which will likely take some time (or might never happen).

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    No one should be surprised if Disney targets those APers, D23 members and DVCers whose spending habits favor upscale meals and merch to receive pitches for Club 33.

    The only surprise would be if Disney hasn't done so already.
    There has not been any direct marketing, but the email address on the card was posted on the Official Disney Blog.

    An email to that address, will receive this form, to join the waitlist.
    Club 33 Interest Form.pdf

  4. #784

    • Hiding from the Sheeple
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    591

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    The current Gold and Silver members do not need to be "replaced", but their ability to book guest reservations might be further restricted. This would only take place once there are a large number of Platinum members, which will likely take some time (or might never happen).
    Gold and silver members were given the "opportunity" to upgrade. That giant initiation fee is all the motivation Disney needs to eliminate every current member. You are correct in your assumption that it would it require enough interest for the new platinum level. I have to believe this type of blatant advertising is designed to accomplish that.
    Last edited by Disneynut; 05-26-2012 at 03:19 PM.

  5. #785

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    Gold and silver members were given the "opportunity" to upgrade. That giant initiation fee is all the motivation Disney needs to eliminate every current member. You are correct in your assumption that it would it require enough interest for the new platinum level. I have to believe this type of blatant advertising is designed to accomplish that.
    Again I have to go with the business logic. Disney's mindset at the moment is profit based, not loyalty based. Irrespective of loyalty, why would I want to keep Gold and Silver around if they made it clear they have no intention of upgrading? All I'd have to do is further restrict the perks and up the price and soon they'd weed themselves out.

    The problem with only opening up the membership every few years is that people's fortunes and attitudes change. Some on the list are not in a position to become members when the offer is made. Others are no longer interested, or may have forgotten they were even on the list. I suspect Disney is "burning through" the list and therefore looking to rebuild it via advertising. As flynn pointed out the expendability threat only works if people are waiting in the wings to become members at a higher price.

    Overall it will be interesting to see how things move forward.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  6. #786

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    307

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    ...I suspect Disney is "burning through" the list and therefore looking to rebuild it via advertising.
    I was surprised when someone on the waiting list posted they had NOT received an invitation to join, since I received an invitation and was added to the list only a few months before it was closed.

    This first wave of Platinum memberships will be processed on June 1, with a start date of June 15.

  7. #787

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    This first wave of Platinum memberships will be processed on June 1, with a start date of June 15.
    flood
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  8. #788

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,652

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    The reason behind the decision stated by George and parroted by Al was that some members were abusing the unlimited comps. IF said individuals were in fact abusing the comps that would mean an excessive amount of Guests dining at 33
    But you made the assertion there wasn't space contention.. and they were doing it purely as a money grab.. and the comp'd guests were a profit center for them.

    That's where it all doesn't add up. If it was a pure money grab, and no contention for space - there is no need to limit comps - just simply sell more memberships. Why kill your golden goose of free money from comp'd guests you claim is so valuable to them?

    That's why your story doesn't add up.. and why it can't be purely a money grab. Because if it were, they did a horrible job at it and left big money on the table. That's why your logic doesn't hold up.

    At least one of those assertions must be false.. either the space contention or pure money grab. The answer is more complex to justify the changes they made.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Flynn... assuming that the members that "abused" the comps brought in "thousands" of Guests as suspected... how much is that at $100 a head not counting tips? How much more does Disney stand to make if they open up the membership (thereby collecting initiation and dues) as opposed to only gleaning $100 a head dinners? It's oversimplified but the point remains, this was a money grab.
    But if there is no contention for space as you claimed caused by these guests.. just add more members and 'win-win' and collect from both money streams.

    A simple solution if they were only in a pure money grab would have been to alter how unescorted reservations were handled vs member hosted meals. Example: Let member hosted meals make reservations up to 90 days out, but only allow unescorted dining reservations say, 14 days out. This would have allowed them more space for members at whatever price they wanted and still get that free money from guests to fill in the holes. This would again, would have been a 'win-win' in terms of maximizing dollars.

    But again.. they chose no such path.. in fact they chose a path that cut off a stream of free money. So there is more to it than simply maximizing the dollars.

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    To those who complained that the reservations were difficult this may help. Disney is still looking to fill the club, and I suspect the reservations will again become an issue. The difference is it will be a higher percentage of members.
    Yet you said earlier these guests weren't causing this contention.. so who is complaining? Or is it really the earlier assertions were bunk?

    IMO - the real answer is more complex than a simple 'money grab'. It's a shift in how the club will be positioned, marketed, and utilized. The change in rules and costs are part of that bigger image set by new management. Will it mean more money? I would assume so given the new dollar amounts involved.. but the motivation can't solely be revenue given the path they have taken. It's a more complex path that will included increased revenue.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  9. #789

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    flynn if the end goal is dramatically increased profits then how can the path getting there not be seen as a money grab?

    Yes there is "free money" on the table, but said money pales in comparison to the patrons waiting at the door ready to walk in. Disney doesn't seem to care about the loyal Silver or Gold member who has been with them for decades. They don't care if said member can't bring in more then 50 people. Why? Because if Disney gets 2 new platinum members then they covered the "loss" of the Gold member's party based on initiation fees and dues alone. In fact they make more because now they have 2 new members who can also bring up to 50 people each. Do the math flynn... it's a pretty straight forward money grab.

    This also explains why they're in a rush to beef up the waiting list. They're expecting to burn through it and want to make sure they have the new members to cover the turnover. It's literally playing out as we speak.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  10. #790

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,652

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    flynn if the end goal is dramatically increased profits then how can the path getting there not be seen as a money grab?
    For the same reason that because you decide your company wants to make a profit - does not equate you to a greedy money grabber. It's an overly simplistic view that misses all the nuances and motivations.. when one simply says 'seeking increased revenue = nefarious money money money attitude'

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Yes there is "free money" on the table, but said money pales in comparison to the patrons waiting at the door ready to walk in
    Yet they raise the price through the roof AND cut long standing perks. That's not a strategy to convert previous demand.. those are actions that directly put the previous demand AT RISK. So again if all they were focused on was quick conversion of demand to dollars... why make changes that inhibit that ability AND walk away from other free money? The answer is it's not that simple as 'quick.. convert that demand to $$'

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    This also explains why they're in a rush to beef up the waiting list. They're expecting to burn through it and want to make sure they have the new members to cover the turnover. It's literally playing out as we speak.
    They need to reseed the waiting list because the old waiting list was based on entirely different expectations. They have many people 'on the list' they know will never sign up even when their name comes up because they weren't really a legit prospect to start.. and you have people who signed on with different expectations than the park is offering now. These things make your previous list pretty ineffective as a legit queue of potential members. They need to reseed the list with people inline with the new model and of the demographic the new management is seeking.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  11. #791

    • Hiding from the Sheeple
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    591

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    For the same reason that because you decide your company wants to make a profit - does not equate you to a greedy money grabber. It's an overly simplistic view that misses all the nuances and motivations.. when one simply says 'seeking increased revenue = nefarious money money money attitude'
    Blaming your most loyal customers for something that was not against the rules in order to ultimately create greater profit is nothing short of a money grab. I still don't see the need to try and excuse bad corporate behavior. You love to challenge everyone here on basically everything they say. Why not challenge Disney on their poor customer service which is clearly contrary to the high ethical standards on which the company was built.

  12. #792

    • Tour Ready
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    240

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by WDP Fan View Post
    While my views, from March, of just "whose" Club this is (Disney's) have not changed, I have to admit that Disneynut's predictions are looking more and more accurate. Reportedly, cards like the one in this photo were being handed out in front of California Adventure's Carthay Circle Theater yesterday.

    Attachment 20010
    I think passing out cards to something that was once a well kept secret is pretty tacky. The Club is loosing its mystique and status as a unique entity. What's next? A Club 33 Membership Booth next to the DVC stands in the park?

  13. #793

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    455

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by WDI33 View Post
    I think passing out cards to something that was once a well kept secret is pretty tacky. The Club is loosing its mystique and status as a unique entity. What's next? A Club 33 Membership Booth next to the DVC stands in the park?
    Boy oh boy, you are so correct!
    I just can't believe these sales stunts are happening.
    All of this proves one thing and one thing only.
    This entire scheme of Disney's is proving to be a massive failure!
    It also clearly reinforces exactly what I had stated earlier: If this was a good deal and something worth while, current members would have upgraded immediately.
    God forbid most of us have the intelligence to realize just what a complete scam this is.
    You can build a pyramid in Las Vegas but it will never compare the real pyramids in Giza!
    Disney cuts our benefits and then honestly expects members to re-invest thousands more back into the park for less benefits than we had previously? Why would we do this when we had been paying less money for more benefits?
    All of this just because someone in the hotdog building had the hair brained concept of a second club? Seriously?

    You can call the 1901 Lounge anything you wish but it will never replace our original, authentic, and most loved Club 33!

  14. #794

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,787

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disney doesn't seem to care about the loyal Silver or Gold member who has been with them for decades. They don't care if said member can't bring in more then 50 people.
    Point of Clarification for some reading this thread who might be confused by what "bring in" means: Members can bring in more than 50...to Club 33, that is. The Club has placed no restriction on Guest Reservations at Club 33. They only restricted the number of complimentary park admission tickets (50 annually) for Guests of Members.

    After the Member has used all of their 50 comps, the Member can still make Club reservations for Guests, but the Member or the Guest must pay to get in the Park in order to get to the Club.

    But no one (yet) is telling Silvers or Golds they have a limit on Club Guest Reservations

    How my Member-friend is looking at it:

    "I'm either 'hosting' or 'sponsoring' now. Depending on the individual situation for family, friends, and even some clients it's going to go like this:

    If I'm hosting Guests, whether with or without me being there in person...they're getting in free and dining on me...like I've always done. If I've run out of comps...I'll just buy the Club's discounted tickets. Might cost me more if I exceed my 50, but so be it. At least I'm paying $3600 a year and not $10,000. I can live with that. Done.

    If I'm just sponsoring a reservation request, I'll now just tell 'em I'm glad to get the reservation at the Club for 'em...but you're gonna have to buy tickets to Disneyland."

    The latter is the catagory I fall into. So once my supply of ancient comp passes runs out...I may be investing in a Annual Pass sometime in the future. But I'm still grateful for the hundreds of past entires to both Park and Club that I've enjoyed, and for the future Club reservations he's glad to make when I need 'em.

    Also FYI...he uses the Club mostly to entertain business clients from all around the world when they come to California. He says the Club has been instrumental in securing and maintaining business relationships and the Club has helped him close many a deal over the decades. In this regards, he considers his membership as being extremly profitable. And to these mostly "outsiders" the Club still holds valuable cachet.

    For years his biggest complaint has been the lack of reservation availablity at relativly short notice. He said for the first 20 years of his Membership, he could almost call the Club on the day-of-visit and get a table. But for the last 15 years or so...it had become almost an impossiblity. He often was a walk-up! He said for business clients, it's often hard to know who'll be around and when. He's hoping that perhaps he'll be able to go more often with guests now..."How'd you like to do lunch at the Club this Thursday"...kinda thing.

    Anyway, that's what he hopes.

    Out-of-town (or in-town) friends and relatives...we tend to plan farther in advance and we're not so much a problem to get reservations for. He said we tend to be more flexable on dates, too.

    I've heard similar from other long-time Members.

    Just another perspective.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 05-26-2012 at 09:41 PM.

  15. #795

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    307

    Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by WDI33 View Post
    I think passing out cards to something that was once a well kept secret is pretty tacky. The Club is loosing its mystique and status as a unique entity. What's next? A Club 33 Membership Booth next to the DVC stands in the park?
    A CM from Club 33 Member Services will be assigned to the 1901 Lounge to assist members. This CM will likely also spend time selling memberships: "Have you heard about Disneyland's best kept secret?"

Similar Threads

  1. Name changes for Busch parks...
    By TDLFAN in forum SeaWorld
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 10:08 AM
  2. New Changes For Snow White
    By DisneyFunGuy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-30-2006, 11:17 PM
  3. Animation Building Changes for DCA
    By JiminyCricketFan in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 01:28 PM
  4. Club 33 - Down for Refurb?
    By tolowmoe in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •