Page 56 of 71 FirstFirst ... 631465354555657585966 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    Third, while any level of membership has always had the ability to upgrade to the newer levels, the part you bolded and underlined has to do with the "transfer" of membership to a spouse of the death of a member.
    I understand the new benefit however it is an "all or nothing" proposal. This isn't a direct transfer of membership. As you stated the individual has the option to upgrade to Platinum and avoid the initiation fee but they will be paying substantially more for something they previously enjoyed. That lends support to the original "money grab" comment. Otherwise why not let the spouse keep the same level of membership and continue paying dues?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I understand the new benefit however it is an "all or nothing" proposal. This isn't a direct transfer of membership. As you stated the individual has the option to upgrade to Platinum and avoid the initiation fee but they will be paying substantially more for something they previously enjoyed. That lends support to the original "money grab" comment. Otherwise why not let the spouse keep the same level of membership and continue paying dues?
    No, it doesn't lend support to the "money grab" argument. If it was all "money grab," then they would have kept it the way it was and not allow the transfer at all. That way, they would have room for a new member that would be paying the initiation fee. While the old member would have to upgrade, they would not be collecting the initiation fee that they would have under the old system.

It makes sense for them to try to consolidate members under one plan through attrition.

---------- Post added 05-29-2012 at 11:19 AM ----------

Quick clarification. It is my understanding that the "death" transfer to a spouse is also available to platinum members. If the member dies, upon timely notification to the club, the spouse can apply for membership and not have to pay the initiation. This is a change from the past. (Also teaches away from the "money grab" theory).
    Last edited by Osky; 05-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

• Hiding from the Sheeple

second, there is plenty of talk in this thread (maybe not by you) that this is also an attempt to squeeze out gold and silver. It has come up repeatedly. Just want to squash that.
    That day is coming, just wait and see. Last I checked, you and many others have argued my information for months while each item has come true. How memories seem to fade over time.

Techskip sees this for what it really is, a way to squeeze every last penny from every customer. For those who continue to argue this about unlimited comp passes, I guess you will never understand. Bad busines is simply bad business, the benefit to Disney is that there are enough people who simply don't get it and will continue to line their coffers not matter how bad it gets.

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    That day is coming, just wait and see. Last I checked, you and many others have argued my information for months while each item has come true. How memories seem to fade over time.
    You need to go back and re-read your earlier posts.

I will eat crow if they eliminate gold and silver and force them up or out. I don't see that happening, and nothing from the past indicates that they will do that.
    -Osky

Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

You need to go back and re-read your earlier posts.

I will eat crow if they eliminate gold and silver and force them up or out. I don't see that happening, and nothing from the past indicates that they will do that.
    Please don't give Disney any ideas on how to save money. If they could catch crows easily, I have no doubt they'd be serving them in the park under the name 'Black Pheasant!'Name:  2010_02_06_0014-575x383.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  45.6 KB

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    Please don't give Disney any ideas on how to save money. If they could catch crows easily, I have no doubt they'd be serving them in the park under the name 'Black Pheasant!'Name:  2010_02_06_0014-575x383.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  45.6 KB
    Literally just laughed out loud. At work. Thank you!

• Senior Minion

I wouldn't bet money against Disneynut's predictions. What Disney is doing to Club 33 isn't happening in a vacuum, rather is simply the latest in a long series of similarly themed management decisions that have been going on for two decades -- smaller, less notorious, and many of them affecting only employees -- but all coming from the same corporate philosophy.

It cannot be stressed enough that Disney is a corporation that Does Not Do Relationships. In its internal hierarchy and its external communications, it is strictly a My Way Or The Highway company, and the highway is strictly a one-way street. Disney is not evil, but its decision-making structure is enormously arrogant -- ask anyone in town who has done business with it. Its internal arrogance is coming across loud and clear in every disingenuous detail of how, internally with its employees and externally with its customers, management has handled this Club 33 issue.

Disney customers in general, and Club 33 members in particular, are free to believe that the protests in this thread are motivated by disgruntled customers or entitled customers, but a closer study of the behavior of the post-1985 Disney Corporation would suggest they do so at the peril of their own disappointment -- and pocketbook.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

[QUOTE=Mr Wiggins;1056768809

It cannot be stressed enough that Disney is a corporation that Does Not Do Relationships. In its internal hierarchy and its external communications, it is strictly a My Way Or The Highway company, and the highway is strictly a one-way street. Disney is not evil, but its decision-making structure is enormously arrogant -- ask anyone in town who has done business with it. Its internal arrogance is coming across loud and clear in every disingenuous detail of how, internally with its employees and externally with its customers, management has handled this Club 33 issue.

[/QUOTE]
    Well put Mr. Wiggins, you have captured the true essence of the Disney Company's inner workings.
    I know it's strange, but I dislike calling it 'The Walt Disney Company' as there is so little 'Walt' left within.

• "I Break Things"

if they eliminate gold and silver and force them up or out. I don't see that happening, and nothing from the past indicates that they will do that.
    Not to split hairs but it really boils down to how you define "force them out". If you're taking a literal stance, meaning Disney states they are ending Gold and Silver and you either upgrade or leave... then no I can't see them doing it. If you're taking a passive stance (hostile work environment if you will), meaning Disney will simply reduce benefits to the point that members either upgrade or leave... that is already happening.

As to the spouse discussion. When a Gold or Silver member dies, the spouse is presented with 2 options. Either they fork over more money in dues to continue enjoying the club. Or they step aside in which case Disney collects the same money in dues from a new member... plus initiation fee. Either way Disney will profit and ensure that the Gold membership is deactivated. In the past Disney waited years to replenish the Club ranks. In theory this could be seen as "collecting dues" that otherwise would have been lost in those years between new membership enrollments. The fact that they're actually making more money off a membership instead of losing the entire membership (which again may not have been replaced right away) could clearly be seen as a money grab. If this isn't profit drivern then why not let the spouse keep the same level of membership? After all the "intent" is that they've been enjoying the Club for years AT THAT LEVEL OF MEMBERSHIP, why force the upgrade?

• Knight of Naughtyness

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    Please don't give Disney any ideas on how to save money. If they could catch crows easily, I have no doubt they'd be serving them in the park under the name 'Black Pheasant!'
    I will expect you to have some of the black pheasant if Golds and Silvers are still around after a few years...

---------- Post added 05-29-2012 at 05:03 PM ----------

After all the "intent" is that they've been enjoying the Club for years AT THAT LEVEL OF MEMBERSHIP, why force the upgrade?
    Because, technically, they are not the member. There is good reason for that. In the past, they would have been forced out.
    -Osky

• "I Break Things"

In the past, they would have been forced out.
    So what you're saying is that in the past the membership would have ended upon the death of the individual and Disney would not be able to collect dues or replace said member until the next enrollment period? Am I correct?

If the above is correct, that means Disney is not only continuing to collect dues with this new policy, they are actually making a profit. They have the potential to collect more in dues when the Gold member dies and they won't even have to wait for the next enrollment period. That... quite literally... is a money grab. That is the definition of a money grab. I can see this being a benefit to Platinum members. Disney would be able to immediately replace the member and collect dues, business as usual, no change in price. But I can't see this as being a "benefit" to Gold or Silver members. In that instance I can see it as being a "forced out" tactic. The spouse of the member who didn't upgrade before for a variety of reasons is now given the option to either upgrade or walk away. Had they been offered the same level of membership it would be a different conversation.

• Knight of Naughtyness

So what you're saying is that in the past the membership would have ended upon the death of the individual and Disney would not be able to collect dues or replace said member until the next enrollment period? Am I correct?
    You are correct, except for the "next enrollment period." They could offer that membership up immediately and prorate the membership depending on how many months were left in the year.

Even if they did wait until the end of the year, it is simple math. Say a member dies at the end of June. Their spouse could be offered membership by paying half of the annual platinum dues at $5,000 for the remainder of the year. On the flip side, without this policy, they could offer a new membership to the next person on the wait list at $25,000 initiation and $5,000 pro-rated dues. In other words, Disney gets $5,000 to keep the spouse, or $30,000 for a new member.

Now consider the same scenario with the exception of waiting until the next enrollment period. In that scenario, Disney gets $5,000 for the spouse, and then an additional $10,000 the next year, or they get nothing now because the membership is open, and they get $35,000 the next year for a new member.

So with those numbers, in either scenario, how is it a money grab? In the former, they get $25,000 less in the current year by allowing the spouse to upgrade. In the latter, they get $5,000 more up front, but $20,000 less within six months if they allow the spouse to upgrade.

---------- Post added 05-29-2012 at 05:54 PM ----------

But I can't see this as being a "benefit" to Gold or Silver members. In that instance I can see it as being a "forced out" tactic. The spouse of the member who didn't upgrade before for a variety of reasons is now given the option to either upgrade or walk away.
    In the past, they would have been forced to walk away. Now they at least have a choice.
    -Osky

Cool Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Did C33 force Silvers up when it created Gold?

Did C33 force Silvers or Golds up when it created Platinum?

Can C33 admit all the new Platinums it wishes without bumping any Silvers/Golds? Of course.

At this point in time it's simply too early to tell how successful the Platinum concept will be. Disney is gambling that at least 100 people right now, and 400 more over attrition-time, will consider the Platinum package worth $25K/$10K, particularly when draped with the C33 name/mystery/glamour. In a year or so we'll know whether they're right or wrong. Until then, don't sit up nights stressing about it.
    ______
    Rachane

Quote Originally Posted by backin33 View Post
    (1) As I was pulling into the Grand CA, the attendant at the entry kiosk asked for my last name when I showed her my club card. She acknowledged that this was a new thing and continued to explain that it was due to a list she had of the 45 new club members joining.
    Does anyone have any actual intel on how many new memberships they are opening up other than the "100 invites" that they initially sent out and we now know was substantially more? Are they looking at adding 100 new members...or more?

Just wondering is it as may as will bite...or 100, which would result in an estimated 580 members...or are they accounting for non-renews of current members?...I guess my question is how large will the new membership be based on the new model?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    Just wondering is it as may as will bite...or 100, which would result in an estimated 580 members...or are they accounting for non-renews of current members?.
    Rumor has it, as of Sunday, 49 new members have joined.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.