Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 8485556575859606168 ... LastLast

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    A member or Disney guest should have a reasonable expectation to a professional and ethical relationship. An increase in price is OK, it's expected, but to change an operating format is something else entirely when, as stated earlier, it violates the trust between a member and Disney.
    With all due respect, it does not violate the trust between a member and Disney because the trust was misplaced. Did it state in the Club contract that Disney would continue the same benefits in perpetuity? If it didn't, there was nothing reasonable about expecting Disney not to change any terms of the relationship with you, upon renewal. There is no such thing as honor, unless "whatever that conduct might be" is written into the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by DL714 View Post
    There is no such thing as honor, unless "whatever that conduct might be" is written into the contract.
    Really? There's no such as honor? You post does not deserve any further reply.

• Senior Minion

With all due respect, it does not violate the trust between a member and Disney because the trust was misplaced. Did it state in the Club contract that Disney would continue the same benefits in perpetuity? If it didn't, there was nothing reasonable about expecting Disney not to change any terms of the relationship with you, upon renewal. There is no such thing as honor, unless "whatever that conduct might be" is written into the contract.
    An accurate description of how Disney corporate management views its customers, and an excellent warning for anyone who chooses to hold feelings of affection, loyalty or trust for today's Walt Disney Company.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    An accurate description of how Disney corporate management views its customers, and an excellent warning for anyone who chooses to hold feelings of affection, loyalty or trust for today's Walt Disney Company.
    It works both ways. If "loyalty" and "affection" to Disney meant abusing the unlimited passes, what honor was there in that? At least, Disney did not single anyone out. It did the polite thing and just changed the rules for everyone.

• Senior Minion

It works both ways. If "loyalty" and "affection" to Disney meant abusing the unlimited passes, what honor was there in that? At least, Disney did not single anyone out. It did the polite thing and just changed the rules for everyone.
    Let me amend my previous post:

"An accurate description of how Disney corporate management views its customers, an excellent warning for anyone who chooses to hold feelings of affection, loyalty or trust for today's Walt Disney Company, and a demonstration of Disney's habit of punishing its customers for its own greed."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Let me amend my previous post:

"An accurate description of how Disney corporate management views its customers, an excellent warning for anyone who chooses to hold feelings of affection, loyalty or trust for today's Walt Disney Company, and a demonstration of Disney's habit of punishing its customers for its own greed."
    Let me amend my previous post as well.

If certain Club 33 members were abusing the unlimited pass rule, then wasn't Disney being punished for its magnanimity in the first place?

As I said, it works both ways, even with the "greed" thing. If certain members were abusing the unlimited pass rule because it was their way of recouping what they paid to be members, then what should we call that conduct?
    Last edited by DL714; 05-30-2012 at 11:49 AM.

• Former DL CM

[QUOTE=Moonliner;1056769561]If you are going to limit the club to people who can "afford it at any price" you might as well shut it down. They don't exist.QUOTE]

I don't think the prices being charged for the new platinum level are at all unreasonable in the context of what other private clubs charge for similar types of benefits.

There are many "city" clubs that mainly offer members the opportunity to dine while in the area (e.g., the California Club in downtown Los Angeles). It is common for those clubs to charge $15k to $30k in initiation fees and monthly dues from $500 to $700. Beach clubs that offer members a private sunbathing area and a place to eat while visiting the beach are similar.

Country clubs that offer golf and other amenities are often much more expensive. Initiation fees at the better clubs run well over one hundred thousand dollars and dues almost always exceed $10,000 per year and often include additional required minimum food purchases. There are dozens of such clubs in California and thousands of members of such clubs. While some of the clubs offer equity-- that is, the member owns a portion of the club and can sell the membership to recover a portion of the initiation fee, other clubs are run as for-profit businesses (like Club 33) and members have no equity. The Riviera Country Club is one famous example of a club that is privately owned and not owned by the members. (and has an initiation fee of several hundred thousand dollars for new memberships).

It seems obvious that Disney believes that people who join the types of clubs described above would be willing to pay the current rates to become platinum members of Club 33. This doesn't seem like an outlandish business model and no one should be surprised if the costs of those memberships are increased or the benefits are altered in the future. It is worth noting that, at many of the private clubs described above, guests are not generally allowed entrance to club facilities unless the member is also present. To the likely target audience for future C33 memberships, a limit of 50 free admissions for guests will not seem out of line.

You cannot compare Club 33 with willy-nilly golf/country clubs, they're entirely animals. Different kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus,species.
    If you were a long time Club 33 member, your feelings would be much different.

• Former DL CM

You cannot compare Club 33 with willy-nilly golf/country clubs, they're entirely animals. Different kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus,species.
    If you were a long time Club 33 member, your feelings would be much different.
    Well, I am a long term member of Club 33 and my post had nothing to do with "feelings." I was expressing an opinion about what I believe the strategy is of current Club 33 management. I was disagreeing with what I interpreted a prior post to suggest--that there would not be a market for Club 33 memberships at very high prices. I believe that some subset of the very large group of people who pay even higher prices for memberships in "different" clubs is in fact the group that is expected (by managment) to buy the current platinum memberships. Despite how you apparently "feel" about the differences in amenities offered by Club 33 in comparison to the other clubs I mention, I do think it is a rational business decision to recognize the ability of a fairly large number of people to buy high priced club memberships and target that group for future customers. Whether enough of them will value the particular amenities being offered now by Club 33 remains to be seen. My point is that the high price does not mean there won't be significant numbers of people that could choose to join this club. We shall see. Other posts have suggested there have been about 50 new members join at the platinum level--about half of what I understood the target to be.

Quote Originally Posted by macindan View Post
    Other posts have suggested there have been about 50 new members join at the platinum level--about half of what I understood the target to be.
    I should have been more specific, sorry mate.
    The difference between the club and others, is that most club don't market merchandise so heavily and have available a montage of profit generating opportunities such as Disney's. In other words, Disney makes a large profit on the club food, gifts, merchandise, parking, misc. in the park throughout the day, the list just never seems to stop.
    Yes, I have heard that approx. 56 people have joined platinum, but that was ONLY after burning through the entire waiting list as well being rejected by approx. 93% of the current club membership.
    Hard evidence of the parks poor decision making process and the flagrant disregard of current members.

• Minion

56 people have joined platinum, but that was ONLY after burning through the entire waiting list
    Not exactly true. They have only burnt through about 1/2 the list.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Former DL CM

Yes, I have heard that approx. 56 people have joined platinum, but that was ONLY after burning through the entire waiting list as well being rejected by approx. 93% of the current club membership.
    Hard evidence of the parks poor decision making process and the flagrant disregard of current members.
    If these numbers are accurate, one would guess that management has to be disappointed. Common sense dictates that the best prospects (financial ability aside) are those that previously took the time get added to the wait list. Finding close to another 50 new members seems like it will be a lot more difficult if most of the wait list already has been contacted. On the other hand, the company has initiated an immense about of publicity over the last couple of weeks and it may be too soon to tell if a large number of additional prospects will come forward. The publicity I have heard makes it clear what the cost will be, so one would hope that new folks expressing interest will be more effectively self-screened based upon financial considerations as compared to those that joined the wait list years ago when the cost was much lower.

• Senior Minion

If these numbers are accurate, one would guess that management has to be disappointed. Common sense dictates that the best prospects (financial ability aside) are those that previously took the time get added to the wait list. Finding close to another 50 new members seems like it will be a lot more difficult if most of the wait list already has been contacted. On the other hand, the company has initiated an immense about of publicity over the last couple of weeks and it may be too soon to tell if a large number of additional prospects will come forward. The publicity I have heard makes it clear what the cost will be, so one would hope that new folks expressing interest will be more effectively self-screened based upon financial considerations as compared to those that joined the wait list years ago when the cost was much lower.
    Exactly. Really, it's in the Disney Corporation's interest to lose as many long-term loyalists, list sitters and "Walties" as possible, and bring in a new generation of customers who have less connection to the heritage and values that were once evoked by the name "Walt Disney Company."

- Neil Gabler

• Minion

If these numbers are accurate, one would guess that management has to be disappointed.
    My son's name is on the list from mid/late-2006. They said he had a couple months more before his name would be up.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    My son's name is on the list from mid/late-2006. They said he had a couple months more before his name would be up.
    I've been on the wait list since 2006 and just got my invite yesterday.