Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9495657585960616269 ... LastLast

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Not exactly true. They have only burnt through about 1/2 the list.
    The club told me otherwise. According to a friend inside, they've burned through the list and Disney is not happy with the outcome. Most don't want to come to their party. The fact they allowed a tacky press release supports this fact and also the handing out of flyers.

---------- Post added 05-30-2012 at 07:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. Really, it's in the Disney Corporation's interest to lose as many long-term loyalists, list sitters and "Walties" as possible, and bring in a new generation of customers who have less connection to the heritage and values that were once evoked by the name "Walt Disney Company."
    Good call Sir!
    Truly, it is us gold members who will send the most guests to the park, support their special Club 33 events and continue to dedicate a large portion of our incomes and time to Disney.
    We have been the backbone of the club for over 30 years and they are in denial of thinking otherwise.
    While the club staff realizes this simple fact, TDA has issued gag orders disallowing the truth from being told.
    How Disney honestly expects 100 to 120 platinum members to justify the operating expenses of the DCA knock-off is certainly derived using math similar to a cheshire cat. The calculations fade in and out, making little sense except to be a distraction.
    Last edited by David A; 05-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    The club told me otherwise. According to a friend inside, they've burned through the list and Disney is not happy with the outcome.
    Weird they told you that, and me something opposite. My son was placed on the list in Nov 2006, and they stated it would be a month or two before they get to his name. (This was today.) They supposedly have the last half of 2006, all of 2007 (which was the biggest year) and the early part of 2008 (when the closed the list) to still run through.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I have talked to a number of people that are currently getting on the waiting list just for the opportunity to eat at the club and listen to the dog and pony show. They have no plans on joining (much like a time share presentation), merely the ability to cross off eating at the club from there bucket list. I thought this was such an interesting reality- especially in lieu of how gung-ho the club has been at recruiting. I wonder how steep the drop off in potential new members will be once everyone out there has gotten their "one time at the club" completed.

I also find it funny that the unlimited ticket abuse was the reason for the changes. First off- it was "unlimited", so how was it abused? 400 members at club 33 abused Disney. I think Not. Even the plus one was a joke.

So with that reasoning, an AP holder that buys a premium pass and uses it more than 50 times that year, would by the same logic be abusing their pass....? It should be, they used over $6,000 value for only $650 cost (disney math). Or is 60 or 100 times the number? What if they go everyday? that surely is reason to not allow them to renew. It's not the AP holders or Club 33 people at fault, it's Disney. I guess what irritates me is that they don't claim any responsibility.

Secondly, in August of 2011, Tom Skaggs challenged "king" George to expand the club. He did this at a D23 event. He wanted to give more guests the "Club 33 experience". Special events like private dining with animators or creators and other "exclusive" Disney executives. So how does this get facilitated? The members get blamed for their "abuses" when in reality, it is only been about the money. We will find out if George actually came up with the magic formula. I think not.

Though I'm sure this mentality helps drive quarterly earnings reports- even if just for the short run.

Lightbulb Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

The club told me otherwise. According to a friend inside, they've burned through the list and Disney is not happy with the outcome. Most don't want to come to their party. The fact they allowed a tacky press release supports this fact and also the handing out of flyers.
    Point well taken. If C33 had plenty of waiting-list remaining, why public fishing? The prima facie answer is that everyone on the list knows about and was expecting a Gold-pricing invitation and had C33 in their sights because they could afford it at that level. Because of either budget strain or disillusionment, the wait-list won't be that useful. Disney would need to advertise C33 to prospects who know nothing of its price-history and are just attracted by its mysterious name.

However newspaper stories and sidewalk handouts don't seem to me the best way to prospect a new high-end market. I would think luxury magazine ads, targeted mailings to those taking the best suites at the Disney hotels & cruise ships, members of C33 Tokyo, et al.

How Disney honestly expects 100 to 120 platinum members to justify the operating expenses of the DCA knock-off is certainly derived using math similar to a cheshire cat. The calculations fade in and out, making little sense except to be a distraction.
    Another good point. If it's indeed limited to Platinum & Executive, with no separate quota-patrons at all [as is apparently the case], it's going to be pretty empty and lonely for a long time. But DLR will need to keep it fully staffed and operational in case even one Platinum drops by, because at $25K/$10K he's not going to want to see the door locked!

Really 1901 is the weakest link in the Platinum chain, particularly with the gaudier, fancier, more swinging Cathay Circle right next door. Why would you leave that and go next door to an empty little room?

"If only" fantasy-time again: If I were making all these decisions, I would:

(a) Leave Gold [and indeed Silver] as options for anyone on the waiting-list, along with Platinum.

(b) You want Platinum to start being worth it? Make it [at least] a three-Resort membership:

--- (1) Instead of building 1901 in the same resort as C33, build a new C33 in Walt Disney World with Platinum Access. Platinums already have the Premium Passes, so this is a natural fit. I bet there are hoards of Disneyphiles hooked on WDW who have been grumbling for years that only we West Coast clods get C33.

--- (2) Give Platinums access to C33 Tokyo. Make the C33Ts happy by opening Platinum-upgrades to them too, so that they can also enjoy multi-Park C33ism.

--- (3) That's enough of a start to justify P-pricing, plus you've got your megamoolah prospects pre-selected and champing at the bit. But don't stop there: Think C33s at all the Disney Parks, and C33 lounges on the cruise ships. Suddenly Platinum starts to look not like an overpriced armtwist, but a really great package and deal, yes?

--- (4) Existing C33T memberships become "Gold/C33T-only" and the new C33WDW also sells Golds (C33WDW-only). So you hang out at one Resort, get Gold. Want to be fed peeled grapes at all three (plus) and the cruise ships, get Platinum. Picture starting to make sense? Wallets starting to open?

Even if all this were done [and yes, I'm going to write it up for Disney], 1901 is still going to be an awkward embarrassment as the emptiest room at DLR. At the same time that I'm multi-Parking Platinum, I'd go ahead and open 1901 up to DLR Silver/Golds (no unaccompanied nonmembers) to get some life [and $] flowing in there.
    ______
    Rachane

• Knight of Naughtyness

This is absolutely and verifiably false. I know quite a few who were added to the list prior to it closing and still have not received invites. One of them called on Tuesday and was told that they are up to 2006, which jives with what others are saying. You seem to be getting a lot of bad information.

Quote Originally Posted by backin33 View Post
    I also find it funny that the unlimited ticket abuse was the reason for the changes. First off- it was "unlimited", so how was it abused? 400 members at club 33 abused Disney. I think Not. Even the plus one was a joke.

So with that reasoning, an AP holder that buys a premium pass and uses it more than 50 times that year, would by the same logic be abusing their pass....? It should be, they used over $6,000 value for only $650 cost (disney math). Or is 60 or 100 times the number? What if they go everyday? that surely is reason to not allow them to renew. It's not the AP holders or Club 33 people at fault, it's Disney. I guess what irritates me is that they don't claim any responsibility.
    Didn't we hash this to death already?

---------- Post added 05-31-2012 at 12:28 AM ----------

One of my member friends said that they were told that 1901 is for Platinum members and Disney Execs.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

The moderate pig lost his house to the wolf too
    .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Quote Originally Posted by DL714 View Post
    It works both ways. If "loyalty" and "affection" to Disney meant abusing the unlimited passes, what honor was there in that? At least, Disney did not single anyone out. It did the polite thing and just changed the rules for everyone.
    I thought we had also. you need only go back one page to see that it was brought up again.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Weird they told you that, and me something opposite. My son was placed on the list in Nov 2006, and they stated it would be a month or two before they get to his name. (This was today.) They supposedly have the last half of 2006, all of 2007 (which was the biggest year) and the early part of 2008 (when the closed the list) to still run through.
    They are going through the list in waves, they are not done yet, but will be through it by June. Didn't they also tell you about a month ago that there would be "no new memberships"? It is not an argument with you, but we should all start to realize that they don't provide honest answers. This entire thread is dedicated to that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    They are going through the list in waves, they are not done yet, but will be through it by June. Didn't they also tell you about a month ago that there would be "no new memberships"? It is not an argument with you, but we should all start to realize that they don't provide honest answers. This entire thread is dedicated to that.
    Very true. I don't think those in the club actually know what is happening over in the VIP offices right now.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Knight of Naughtyness

I think this illustrates the problem we are experiencing in this thread. Who are "they"?
    -Osky

Before we totally disregard extremism; lets remember the lesson of the 3 little pigs.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- -. -.-- --- -. . / -... --- - .... . .-. / - --- / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - . / - .... .. ... ..--..

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    I think this illustrates the problem we are experiencing in this thread. Who are "they"?
    My information comes from someone at a EVP level and I think that is why 99% of it has been correct. "They" seems to refer to the nameless cast members who many in this thread have directed their questions to.

Micechat policy does not allow us to give names otherwise this would be easier.
    Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 05-31-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: "In effect" naming a person is also against MiceChat policy.

This is my first post, but I have read this forum and this thread in particular for quite some time. FWIW, I put my name on the list in Aug/Sep of 2006 and just got my invite a few days ago. Someone else I know who put their name on the list in Oct 2006 has not yet been contacted. I can also tell you that when I called the number, the first thing they told me was the price and if I was still interested. They were trying to qualify me right away before providing further details. Haven't made up my mind yet, but this forum has been a great source of information--even if you guys get a bit too deep in the weeds sometimes Thanks for all the great info.
    Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminee View Post
    Haven't made up my mind yet, but this forum has been a great source of information--even if you guys get a bit too deep in the weeds sometimes Thanks for all the great info.
    Cheers,
    Jim
    That's a great quote and very well put. Walt actually placed Latin name plates on the weeds when the park originally opened, so your quote is appropriate!
    As members, many of us are very disenchanted with Disney at the moment for the elimination of our past benefits which we honestly expected to remain unchanged. It's purely bad management on the part of Disney and we're hoping that perhaps things may change, but not for the worse.
    As for Club 33, well, most of us still love the old place along with the wonderful staff that takes such terrific care of us. It is still a very special place.
    Before you write a check, just be alert as to how the company is currently taking the interests of the members into consideration. Answer: They're not.
    Sorry mate, it's just the truth.

• Knight of Naughtyness

As members, many of us are very disenchanted with Disney at the moment for the elimination of our past benefits which we honestly expected to remain unchanged. It's purely bad management on the part of Disney and we're hoping that perhaps things may change, but not for the worse.
    This is the root right here. It is an expectation issue.

I find the part after the bold interesting. You are hoping for change, but only the change that you want to see. That is human nature.

---------- Post added 05-31-2012 at 10:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminee View Post
    They were trying to qualify me right away before providing further details.
    I am guessing that is a function of the person that you happened to be dealing with. I did not have the same experience. The person I spoke with seemed more interested in answering my questions and explaining the club. The money issue was only discussed after I specifically brought it up.
    -Osky

Quote Originally Posted by Osky View Post
    I am guessing that is a function of the person that you happened to be dealing with. I did not have the same experience. The person I spoke with seemed more interested in answering my questions and explaining the club. The money issue was only discussed after I specifically brought it up.
    While I am not challenging your statement that the cast member you dealt with was more professional, my argument about this entire situation remains. Shouldn't EVERYONE who is being pitched a $35,000 membership be treated with dignity and respect? Shouldn't EACH and EVERY cast member selling this be a complete and absolute professional?

I find it truly sad that any of us would need to come to this thread to excuse behavior by any cast member or other person associated with Club 33. The fact that many potential members have made the same comment is proof that Disney has no idea what they are doing and that they clearly have no clue how to market to such a high-end customer. It is truly a testament to how far Club 33 has fallen.

• Minion

The one long-time female Club 33 staffer (back room) seems to be the go-to person for information for almost everyone. Lately, her information has proven to be wrong on almost everything. I am not sure why this is, but I do believe that Malcon10t attributed the "no new memberships" statement to her.
    Sad but true.

I know they will go through the list pretty quickly, but I think it will be closer to September before the list is gone.