Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 34567891656 ... LastLast

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    Yeah, excuse me while I have a good cry session over rich people getting a tad less handed to them on a silver platter.
    First, please read the previous admonishments from the moderators for this type of post. Second, the same argument applies to any level of service at the parks. They are charging more while providing less.

I feel the same way about the never-ending restrictions on silver passes and other programs that are being slashed.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Member View Post
    I do believe that this is nothing short of a money grab from Disney with the intention of getting Gold members to end their membership so more expensive memberships can be sold. Also with the restriction of 50 guests they will be able to sell more memberships since fewer people per member will be dining at the Club. It's a win-win for the club, every Gold member who resigns will be replaced with a Platinum member paying much more for far fewer benifits.
    Bingo.

Personally I'm hoping there is enough fallout from this decision that someone with a little common sense will step in and remedy these changes.
    Don't count on it. To Disney, what they're doing is common sense.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

One more time: please discuss the topic instead of offering posts designed solely to bash people who obtain a valid current service from Disney. Inciting or seeking to call out members based on lifestyle and monetary choices has been warned about before with this topic. Discuss changes, not what you think about both other forum members and what the larger trends of perceived 33 membership say about them.

• -

I wonder if current members would be interested in filing a class action lawsuit against the club. The club is very secrective of the membership list and that list would have to be made available to the plaintiff during the course of the lawsuit. I will certainly raise that question with my attorney and see if that course of action would be productive.
    While I don’t know the terms of the membership agreement, I can tell you that one problem you may have with a lawsuit over this is that usually there will be some clause in there that says something to the effect of, “membership fees and benefits are subject to change without notice”. If there is nothing in the agreement that you signed allowing Disney to reserve the right to change membership perks or raise fees, then you may have a case. However, I can’t see Disney locking themselves into an agreement that would not allow them to control that.

The other thing to look at is the period of the agreement. If it is set up as a yearly, self-renewing agreement (which seems to be the case from the posts that I read on here so far), then they couldn’t make those changes until the next period. When the period is up, Disney can change the terms for the next period which you accept by paying your new annual membership fees.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Sock Puppet

These new changes that are occuringwith club 33 could also be due to the fact that CT is rumored to havesome sort of club 33 like thing, with membership etc. So maybe theyare trying to push people toward joining the CT club instead. It alsodoesn't matter what the price tag will be, people will pay it becausethey want to. I pay my pass price for my premium because I want thatpass. SO maybe these new changes will be good for DCA and CT.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You mean kind of like how there are restaurants just outside Club 33 that are FREE with no membership fees either??
    I agree in part, but I do think the facilities of Club 33 are a little unique. It was conceived by Walt and he and his wife shopped for many of the fixtures in the club. The food is unique to the club and it remains the only venue inside of Disneyland where you can buy alcohol during normal park hours.

With the new 1901 club, you are in a small space that is designed exactly like a much larger space that is mere feet away and located in the same building. Both bars or lounges will be serviced by the same kitchen. Alcohol will be sold in both venues. This is nothing more than a VIP section at a bar.

I think many people are still looking at Club 33 from a strictly financial viewpoint. I understand full well that it is not for everyone, but when you break down the cost, it really was not a bad value.

Each membership has a primary card and a spouse card. Each card can sign in one additional person. When you couple this with the valet parking and complimentary park hopper passes for your guests it was not an extreme expense when you break it down on a per person basis.

My love for Club 33 was not to be in a hush-hush secret club. On the contrary, I invited countless people to dine with us. One day my wife and I saw an older couple taking pictures outside and invited them in for lunch. For myself, it was the history, the fine dining option and most importantly the dinners or special events that made everything worthwhile.

• Embrace the kitsch!

I do believe that this is nothing short of a money grab from Disney with the intention of getting Gold members to end their membership so more expensive memberships can be sold. Also with the restriction of 50 guests they will be able to sell more memberships since fewer people per member will be dining at the Club. It's a win-win for the club, every Gold member who resigns will be replaced with a Platinum member paying much more for far fewer benifits.
    This is the only part of your post I disagree w/. I think there's an even longer range plan than the one you describe here. Of course they want to get rid of as many current members as possible and replace them w Platinum members, but I don't think they expect nor do they want to replace all the Gold members w/ Platinums. They have a long waiting list and they want to burn through it as fast as possible. Once they've "cleaned house," so to speak, they will start the last phase.

The endgame here is eventually to throw open the doors of Club 33 and have it follow the model of the Carthay Circle Club next door: open to the public, but w/ a semi-exclusive VIP room added on. This would be a snap for 33, since it already has two dining rooms. The rabble who pay "only" $200 bucks a plate will eat in the main room, while the Trophy Room will be the members only portion.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Guru View Post
    The rabble who pay "only" $200 bucks a plate will eat in the main room, while the Trophy Room will be the members only portion.
    So, 6 members a day can dine, and the "rabble" of maybe 80 times 2 seatings? That will cause even MORE uproar!
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Banned User

I went to Club 33 more than 10 years ago from an invitation of a relative who knew a client (thru business relaionship) who was a club member. The perk of signing people in was great. It felt exclusive until we gotten into the restaurant and ate the food. It didn't seem particularly special. While decent, the food was no better than Blue Bayou. The decor was upscale, but not nearly as posh as other high end resorts. The Club was a restaurant. If it is more, it is nothing more than illusion.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

A year or so ago, people on the wait list for a Club 33 membership were surveyed regarding a Club-like offering for DCA. Correct me if I'm wrong (gently, please) but the proposed dining option has been scaled back to merely a private lounge, the mentioned Club 1901.

Now, I'm sure there is a good amount of people on the wait list that could afford (and stomach) the 10k initiation fee and $3600 annual fees but are unable (unwilling) to take on yearly dues of $10,000.

So, I wonder if this group of people will be offered memberships for Club 1901? It seems like that would be a way for Disney to get EVERYONE'S money. Does anyone know more details about how or if there will be an alternate membership offered to Club 33's country cousin, Club 1901?
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

The club at California Adventure has been scaled back to a single room that has a bar and about 10 seating groups (chairs, sofa's, etc) with a few chairs at the bar. The plans look great and the building itself is very beautiful.

The problem I see with this concept is that the remainder of the building is also a lounge and a full service restaurant that is designed with the same theme and treatments and it is open to the public.

I have no idea if membership will be offered to this lounge in DCA. If it were, what would the allure be when the exact same offerings can be had for free next door? The allure of Club 33 is that there is not a similar facility or offering within Disneyland.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

So, the plan for a private restaurant in DCA has been scrapped completely?

And exclusivity alone has an appeal. I'm pretty sure there would be a willing audience.
    Words hurt.

I have mixed feelings about the new high dues...

I have been on the waiting list for 5 years, which puts me in the large group that joined the list after the Disneyland 50th anniversary. Considering the length of the list and the low turnover rate, my wife and I thought it unlikely we would live to join Club 33 (although we are not that old).

It now seems likely that we will be give the opportunity to join much sooner. I would not be surprised if it happens within a year or two. Although it currently is unlikely we would be willing to pay the higher dues, at least we will be given the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    So, the plan for a private restaurant in DCA has been scrapped completely?
    The restaurant exists but is no longer private. From the plans I have seen it looks amazing, I can't wait to eat there.

For me personally, I don't see the benefit to such a tiny club. Everyone has different taste so what may not be of great value to me may have appeal to others.

I did make a call and I am told the current plan is to NOT offer membership to the 1901 club but to see how many platinum level memberships they can squeeze out of people. As with anything, it is just talk until they implement the actual policy.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Interesting. From the initial response, it sounds like quite a few people who are currently members and many who only wish they could be won't be able to afford the drastic price increase. I would have thought there would be some plan to keep them as (high, though not *as* high) paying customers as opposed to losing their money, completely. I hoped the Carthay Circle Club would be just that. Club 33 Lite.
    There is money to be had. I'm surprised Disney isn't making a grab for it.
    Words hurt.

Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 34567891656 ... LastLast