Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2045606768697071 LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1062

• I'm really at the Met.

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Gold getting squeezed... yes they are. I feel for every one of them whom I have spoken with. I'd love to have them in 1901 with me. This is Club 33 and a Club 33 member is a Club 33 member as far as I'm concerned... silver, gold, and platinum be damned.

Yes, allowing TDA to stick their hands in Club 33's operations allowed me to get in. And we've taken the plunge knowing what's happened to the Gold members, and we're already seeing changes that are slightly disheartening, and putting us on guard. First is the fact we were told that dues would not be increased for several years... given the massive increase for the new "base" Platinum membership. They already reneged on that one... increasing rates by $1000 for the Platinum/Executive and jacking the Affiliate by $500, and adding an initiation fee for Executive accounts who wish to activate further Affiliate (didn't exist the first year). The initiation doesn't bother me too much (keeps the membership slightly more exclusive), but the significant increase does.

That, combined with rumors that they're cutting the number of VIP tours for affiliate members, or eliminating them entirely, without cutting the annual dues for the affiliate, is especially frightening. The VIP tours, being, one of the perks that justifies the cost of membership in that five day-long (8 hours) tours cost well more than the annual dues for both executive and affiliate members alike.

In return for jacking the rates further, we have received the 'privilege' of making reservations for childcare at Pinocchio's Workshop (which we have to pay for by the hour... we just get to make a reservation there although we are not staying in one of the hotels). We also get to have tickets from our allotment delivered to us at the hotel rather than at the guest relations desk if one of the members is in the group. Given most of my visits are made with an ap-holder in tow, both 'perks' are hardly worth an additional 1k. It seems that every new perk they're adding has something to do with the Grand Californian Hotel... are they the only ones willing to 'play ball' with "Disneyland Special Activities" (aka Club 33... that delineation bugs me a little... I joined Club 33, not Disneyland Special Activities)?

What we do have, though, is a promise that "great things are to come." Given the earlier promise not to raise rates, and knowing that TDA is fond of inter-departmental squabbles, I don't put great stock in that.

We still love our experiences, think 1901 is great, love the Club and the service we have received IN THE RESTAURANT ITSELF (the membership concierge seems to be rather disorganized.), the VIP tours are fun, and all the other stuff. Still worth it. But we're watching... always watching... ALWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by Circlevision91 View Post
    ...We still love our experiences, think 1901 is great, love the Club and the service we have received IN THE RESTAURANT ITSELF (the membership concierge seems to be rather disorganized.), the VIP tours are fun, and all the other stuff. Still worth it. But we're watching... always watching... ALWAYS.
    "disorganized" is a kind way of putting it

90% of Platinum Members are new to this entire concept, so they still have those little diamond studded '33's' in their eyes. The intrigue and glossy polish will certainly wear off quickly. Circlevision91 has expressed this very clearly, stating Disney has already broken their promise regarding fees and other misc. perks.
    You know, prior to 2012 most posts about Club 33 were wonderfully happy and extremely positive. Now, it's just the opposite.
    Try to honestly conceptualize the big picture, which is Disney is slowly destroying Club 33.
    Their greedy, covetous tactics are pushing members away, loyal members, members who have spent countless thousands of the dollars supporting the company.
    Any member, albeit Silver, Gold, Executive, or Platinum should never have to sign onto a chat forum to express their concerns, praying someone in the company will actually take notice, but yet, they do and I'm one of them.
    Anymore, I actually dissuade my friends and coworkers from visiting the park and the club. Morton's and Ruth's Chris are simply better deals with better food and normally better service.
    Hey gang, I'm a realist, not a pixie-duster. If a company promises something I expect them to keep the promises. If I see a company so GD money hungry, placing cash too far above loyalty and public relations all the while providing a lower quality or cheaper product, then yes, I'll complain.
    As I stated earlier, I did renew with the hopes that someone at TDA will straighten out the inner workings of Club 33.
    And no, I'm very sure that new Platinum Members would care very little if Old Golds were allowed access to 1901. That would be like kicking gramps off the front porch of the house he built. All members of Club 33 share a very common thread, none I've ever met are sub-human, classifying themselves as better or worse than anyone else.
    Club members didn't become club members by being easily pushed about or lied to, we're not the types to be taken advantage of as most of us are very much self-made.
    Disney should realize their tactics and underhanded dealings will be tolerated for only so long.
    There were, in fact, a number of Old Golds who didn't renew, one of which is a close friend and long time member.
    You know, in the grand scheme of all things Disney, Club 33 is nothing. It's not an island in the Caribbean, it's not a mega cruise ship, it's not a multimillion dollar hotel, it's just a tiny restaurant and really, not much more. To literally rip the place apart and try to promote it for more than what it is, or what it used to be, is poppycock indeed.
    Regrettably, the people who really made the club the wonderfully magic place it once was are being pushed aside and mistreated, lied to, made to feel like mice in a tank, waiting to be dropped into the viper's tank.
    I can only hope that one influential set of eyes within Disney reads this and has the chutzpah to stop any more damage from being done and slowly re-direct the club back to it's original grandeur.
    Last edited by David A; 02-08-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Smile Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

I'm sorry, but after having read [and participated in] this thread from its beginning, I still don't see why there is any cause for tantrums. If you are a Gold C33 member, you have the same privileges you always did, with the exception that complimentary nonmember parkhopper admissions are limited to 50/year, which now don't require the compee to dine at C33 anymore. The net effect of this is to free up dining space at the Club for members [and incidentally to contribute to a more refined dining atmosphere]. Additionally, now when you comp someone, he/she's not obligated to the high-price meal.

As for Platinum perks and 1901: If Platinums think these are worth it to them, it's no skin off anyone else's nose.

I've been a C33 member since 1996 and have never once had the staff lie to me about anything. Quite the contrary: They've always been impeccable. You might want to bear in mind that various decisions about the Club may be made at a higher administrative level, with the staff learning about them at about the same time members do.
    ______
    Rachane

• I'm really at the Met.

Quote Originally Posted by David A View Post
    Try to honestly conceptualize the big picture, which is Disney is slowly destroying Club 33.
    Their greedy, covetous tactics are pushing members away, loyal members, members who have spent countless thousands of the dollars supporting the company.
    In the eyes of many of the platinum and gold members I've spoken to, the Club doesn't feel too much like a Club. What we bought, instead, is a pre-paid package of tickets and tours and the privilege of making reservations at the Club 33 Restaurant. We understood going in that this wasn't really a club, per se, given that it was entirely run by the company, but I'm a member of a tennis club in San Diego that's also run by the resort that owns the courts (no equity members) and yet every member of my family is treated like a member when they visit purely because of their relationship with me... by everyone from the president of the resort to the gardener. At Club 33 only the member whose name is on the account gets treated like a member while the other "black card" holders and family members are treated as guests by the higher ups... no effort to remember them (although a number of Club 33 staff members in the Club itself have done a commendable job of making an effort to make the member's family feel welcome and like full-fledged members.)

I understand where David is coming from, thedisagreement being that in my personal experiences the Club restaurant has been stellar... from the young lady at the door to the busboys upstairs...but then again I usually dine VERY late and usually get whoever is serving as maitre'd that night. Strange to say that the staff seems cheery at that late hour, but they are. Even though I missed the Candlelight dinners because of university obligations, the maitre'd set aside one of the gifts they handed out those nights and saved it for me... without my asking to do so. I adore the Club staff. The food has been top ten for me - below places like Pelican Hill, Grand Del Mar's Addison, Rancho's Mille Fleurs, and other places of similar price point, but always more than satisfactory. But of course even the best can have an off night now and then.

My impression here, and this is only my impression so correct me if I'm wrong, is that Club 33 has shifted from what seemed to be a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company - its own entity with its own liquor license with its own management team - and become absorbed into TDA. As a result, TDA is using it as an "overlay" of sorts, linking several functions of several departments under the banner of Club 33. The restaurant is most likely part of "Resort Dining" (as signaled by their operating under the resort liquor license and, as a little detail, their use of the "Disney Parks" check presenter rather than a unique Club 33 presenter). The 1901 Lounge is clearly operated by Carthay Circle Restaurant, with staff members simply rotating between the Carthay Lounge and 1901 throughout the day (and the quality of staff members' service here is, on the whole, more hit or miss). This is also Resort Dining.

And then there's "Disneyland Special Activities," who before probably served as VIP concierge for high-roller or celebrity visitors, sort of itinerary planners linking the Guided Tours department with the hotel reservations department with the resort dining department etc... basically a phone operator with the power to make reservations from one, central number. They are CLEARLY not directly affiliated with the Club 33 restaurant, since they are consistently unable to answer my questions regarding what happens to be on the Vintner menu on a given night, or whether or not I can get a certain table number. They always have to call the Club itself and inquire. And they are consistently disorganized - certain members on my account are often told that "we cannot make a reservation for (fill in the blank... Blue Bayou... GCH... Club 33) at this time, can we call you back?" Weeks pass. No call. This is unacceptable, and I and other "members" have spoken with one of the "Club managers" (who, again, don't seem to be affiliated with Club 33 itself but wear the nametag regardless) who act as liaisons between us... the "members"... and Disneyland Management... that we want them to step up their game and that we demand better. Let me put it this way... I can call the Resort at Pelican Hill... right now... as a guest and not a member...and the first girl who answers can tell me when I can set up a spa treatment for my girlfriend, whether there's a table available at Andrea, set up my tee time, and email me an itinerary... all while still on the line with her and never being placed on hold. All at once. And this without putting down ANY money up front. In fact, without even taking a credit card. I've paid for Club 33 in advance, and yet although I've eventually sorted things out, I rarely get definitive answers on what's available when I call "Club 33 Member Services"... woops... I meant Disneyland Special Activities. Because it isn't really Club 33.

This speculation, and it is just speculation, suggests that, in reality, there is no Club 33 CLUB; only a souped up annual pass with a reservation privilege and a few pre-paid tours attached to it. Now, it is a good deal for what you get as far as I'm concerned, my complaining aside, and it has been enjoyable. But there are certain things that are unacceptable from a service standpoint, and from what I stated before about being misled by the Club liaisons. In reference to Rachane's comment, I don't think they lied to us when they said it was "unlikely that rates would be significantly raised for several years," and that it does come from the higher ups, but it is another point against the way the Club entity is run.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, never fall in love with a company. Be on your guard, and watch out for your own interests. Economics 101. When the costs outweigh the benefits... walk. We're not to that point, and we sincerely don't want it to come to that point, but some of us are watching closely.
    Last edited by Circlevision91; 02-08-2013 at 10:14 AM.

It seems to me Circlevision91's assessment is pretty spot-on. While they have done things to encourage a "club"-like feel (the new newsletter, etc.) the other things mentioned (call center, disorganization, etc.) certainly aren't up to snuff, and do seem less personal....while it appears this is to some degree an evolving work in progress, as far as the changes go, for the prices charged it should be better. And it's understandable how long term members would view it differently, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachane View Post
    I'm sorry, but after having read [and participated in] this thread from its beginning, I still don't see why there is any cause for tantrums.
    Disney's management of Club 33 has proven extremely covetous and no, this is far from a tantrum. Please, don't use words which are hardly applicable to an actual member who is very displeased and expressing an exceptionally solid, justifiable, and well proven issue of concern.
    I do find it quite laughable at how some can defend every single poor decision Disney casts upon us, for Pete's sake, I'd be embarrassed to roll over and accept it so easily. Have a back bone man, stand up for yourself and realize that your membership is being attacked as well. If every member's attitude was like yours, well, I would certainly understand how Mickey's steam roller suffers no resistance when making you part of the asphalt.
    I doubt any Old Gold can honestly state they're pleased about these recent changes, unless of course the employee identification card in the pocket says 'The Walt Disney Company.'
    As I stated long ago, it will only be a matter of time until the Platinum Members express the same exact concerns that we Old Gold's are expressing.
    And guess what, some of them are, Circlevision91 was being forthright with his posting, thank you!
    More will step forward as time passes.
    We can all only hope that the median IQ at TDA will increase 10 points and this situation be resolved.
    The word needs to spread to other Old Golds to work a bit hard to bring this issue into the public eye and not hide in facebook pages where no one will ever see the true issues.
    Disney may not care if one Gold Member quits, they may not care if ten Gold Members quit, but at what number will they care, especially if there are no would-be Platinum Members waiting in the wings, checks in hand? Nothing but the sounds of crickets and rustle of Club 33 bathroom napkins gently blowing across New Orleans Square, the club sitting empty as AP holders walk by and point upwards, 'Hey! That used to be Club 33. Sad about what happened."

Cool Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

this is far from a tantrum ...
    Could have fooled me.

Times change. As C33 is not a voting-membership institution, one can either adapt to its periodic changes or leave it. And of course before deciding to leave it, make constructive proposals to management. Someone up the chain just might agree with you.
    ______
    Rachane

I need to throw a TANTRUM!
    Disney's management of Club 33 has proven extremely covetous and no, this is far from a tantrum. Please, don't use words which are hardly applicable to an actual member who is very displeased and expressing an exceptionally solid, justifiable, and well proven issue of concern.
    You have repeatedly and strongly expressed your opinion, but now take great offense when your outbursts are described as a "tantrum". Which I must agree is an accurate description.

You, on the other hand, feel free to insult other people who post to this discussion:
    Pushaw! That's a ridiculous and asinine statement.
    You are equally condescending of Platinum Members:
    90% of Platinum Members are new to this entire concept, so they still have those little diamond studded '33's' in their eyes.
    You now feel entitled to access to 1901, even though you previously said:
    As for the 1901 Lounge, Disney can keep their knock-off. Walt never walked there and I have little interest in setting one foot inside.
    You even support your position by speaking for all Platinum members:
    I'm very sure that new Platinum Members would care very little if Old Golds were allowed access to 1901. That would be like kicking gramps off the front porch of the house he built.
    Gramps did not build 1901, Disney built it as a benefit to Platinum members. Or to speak for you, Disney built 1901 to sell overpriced Platinum memberships. 1901 is one of the best features of Platinum membership, but part of the value is 1901 is seldom crowded. Increasing access to 1901 to include Old Golds, is simply not in my best interest.
    *** end of Tantrum.

I do agree with:
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlevision91 View Post
    In the eyes of many of the platinum and gold members I've spoken to, the Club doesn't feel too much like a Club. What we bought, instead, is a pre-paid package of tickets and tours and the privilege of making reservations at the Club 33 Restaurant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho Marx View Post
    I donít want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Nonsuch, you poor chap. I know you're trying to keep up here, but you've got little invested and I can't help but feel that you're so close to the picture, you're simply not seeing it in it's entirety.
    Cute post however, gotta love all the quote captures
    Stand up good sir, never accept mediocrity or the mundane. It's actually alright to sometimes speak against poor management and take the less popular stance if the cause is justifiable and forthright.
    Saving Club 33 and the better treatment of it's members is a very good cause, I'm sorry you don't seem to realize this.

Change is never easy. As a previous cast member for over a decade that started in parks in Florida and ended at the Studio the only thing in my career with Disney that was consistent was change.

That is what is happening here. 40+ years ago people were a little more honest and if not abusing a membership was difficult since I could not widely advertise my benefits for sale. Over the last 10+ years with an ever increasing number a few regular members were selling their benefits to the highest bidders on eBay, Craigslist and other sites to the tune of 100's a year...multiply that by multiple members and the numbers quickly grow to 1,000's of people entering the park to enjoy Club 33. While they paid for their dinner the members were abusing their benefits and making a profit from their membership and reducing the availability of the club to rule abiding members. Sure Disney could try to entrap people into revealing themselves loads of escape holes were available with the main one being "that was not me who was auctioning off my member benefits".

These same people would spend the smallest amount and now you need to charge a minimum and during this time the venue goes from a profit center to a loss as more money goes out on maintenance than is brought in by revenue for meals.

"Integrating" the venue into the resort is a part to reduce operational cost and bring the venue into alignment with the other park locations. The liquor license change was also due to operation in getting the entire resort a license to stop having to go back and use catering licenses for anything outside of the club. A cost saving benefit to the club and resort overall.

These change are trying to clean up the process, infuse the business with cash and get the membership in line with what the market will handle.

New benefits include 1901, VIP Tours and other benefits.

Let's not forget that most who were not members before last year received the survey asking if we would be interested in being members of a "new" club that would be focused on DCA and not include the original club. Due to the overwhelming negative responses that concept was not moved forward and a new plan was created while modifying existing plans to fall in line with a higher cost and better benefits. Also, 1901 was never started as a private lounge, but a part of the restaurant as a museum to the original Hollywood location. It was changed later and as an economy of scale would share facilities with the restaurant which again a great benefit to the members as additional servers can be added when needed and available from the restaurant next door.

I will say in my orientation it was made perfectly clear that things can change year to year, so it is unfortunate that was not made clear to existing or new members as it pertains to tickets and dues.

I DO agree the member services department seems disorganized at times and I attribute that to growing pains. They strive to be the best, but some are learning as they go which may or may not be due to poor management. Managing millennials can be a challenge in general and it seems there is a good crew of twenty-somethings. When I have expressed my concerns they are addressed quickly.

Time will tell as to how this process evolves and expands. My hopes that access to WDW is included soon beyond admission along the lines of FastPasses and access to VIP dining reservations beyond what a general guest or AP would receive. A truly universal VIP experience, but having worked at both parks this is really an accounting problem first and technical issue (reservations, ticket media, etc.) second.

Having been raised in the Disney company as my parents and other family worked at the company. Changes has been consistent and every generation has a concern about "management" and "loss of the magic" that has happened over the years due to cultural shifts, work ethics and of course cost cutting. However, I do believe the parks are in the best hands with today's leaders than they were under the likes of Paul and Cynthia which was almost a decade ago now.

My experience is the parks listen and you can bet execs and leaders are watching these boards and change will come as part that..maybe not what we may personally desire...but change which should enhance the experience. My suggestions to anyone who has an issue with the perceived decline of the Club experience to write the management of the club, of the park, of the resort, resorts overall and even Bob Iger and more importantly provide feedback in a timely manner and with respect for all individuals. That has worked for me and I may not get my desired result, but I know I have been heard.

The Club has been available to corporate groups since at least 2000 in the off season and during seasonal slow periods. I could not see where this was addressed in later posts and if it was sorry for duplicating.

I kind of like that 1901 is quiet. The parks are really busy these days. The first time we tried to go to 1901 there were so many people in there. I think there were like 3 or 4 VIP tours. There was no place to sit and after waiting 5 min. we left because it was just as busy in 1901 as outside. It was horrible.

Since then, we have gone a few times and it has been absolutely wonderful. There has always been one or two small groups of 4-6 people already there, but it has been a wonderful break from the hustle and bustle of the parks. How nice that a cast member will actually have a conversation with you, as opposed to just directing you to the most efficient whatever you are trying to do (get in line, get a fast pass, order a churro).

it has been great to recharge, take a break, and enjoy a drink, whether water or coke or something more adult. I hope the 1901 experience does not become so crowded that you have to wait to get a seat, and wait to be served. If a gold member wants to enjoy this "perk," then pay to upgrade to platinum. 1901 wasn't available when golds joined, so I don't understand the sense of entitlement that is prevalent on these boards. Platinum level membership is a different product than gold. It also seems that Disney is recognizing golds and their many years or dues paying membership by allowing them to upgrade without having to pay the initiation fee, which is like what, 7 years of Gold membership dues?

I don't really have an opinion on how people spend their money. Some restore vintage cars. Others collect dolls and figures. Some go clubbing and partying. If the platinum membership and perks are worth it to you, then buy it. If not, then don't. If you want to wait for better perks, (which hopefully will happen, WDW fast pass? More than 6 immediate use FP?, etc.), then wait. I just hope 1901 does not lose its exclusiveness and become just another crowded venue in the park, because then what would be the point.

in fact I would so appreciate, a similar lounge in Disneyland. Maybe when they revamp 33, a new lounge to accommodate golds AND platinums, but still feel like an oasis from the crowds without having to spend 2-3 hours eating at the club?

The big picture and the honest evaluation of Disney's changes to Club 33 clearly resonate within these many entries in that they 'exist' and should have never needed to.
    The club has always been a very special entity and the mere fact that any member should feel ill-treated or biased in any manner uncalled for.
    We are not discussing something silly like a Duffy Bear, we're discussing large sums of money invested in what was represented to be a specific, unchanging product.
    Silver and Gold Members should be thanked and appreciated, made to feel as though they're a serious part of the club, a piece of it's history and legacy.
    Disney is treating their Silver and Gold Members, well, quite poorly.
    Any member should be able to enjoy the 1901 Lounge.
    Silver and Gold Members should not be isolated or made to feel less important or treated in an inferior manner.
    I wish more Gold and Silver Members would simply stand up for themselves, get on this forum and proclaim their extreme dislike for such treatment.
    We are the legacy members, we are the unique characters, the eclectic bunch of actors, businessmen, lawyers, doctors, who have breathed life into the club. And now, because we find that Platinum is simply isn't worth the added expense, we're chastised like disobedient children. We didn't design the Platinum Member benefits, Disney did and it's simply an inferior product.
    If Platinum was a better product then rest assured more Gold Silver members would have jumped on the opportunity. We're not fools, we know good from bad, we can quickly evaluate and see when a mistake has been made and a product offering is exceptionally inferior.
    A few on this forum fail to see the openly egregious handling of Club 33 and while they're entitled to their opinion, it does speak highly as to Disney's ability to coerce people by hiding behind cute characters, bright lights and beautiful facades.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Having read all 1049 posts in 42 pages (good grief) I have come to some conclusions for myself-

*Club 33 is simply not important enough to me to even put my name on the list. It would be nice but I simply feel no yearning for it.
    *I neither hope for nor expect an invitation to Club 33
    *For me D23 sounds like a much better value considering the distance to the parks and the cost.

Further observations:
    *Some people need to re-read what they write and maybe reconsider how condescending and unpleasant they sound. Frankly it was an additional turn off in regards to "members".
    *The word is well-heeled, not well-healed. Unless they were really sick, they can't be well-healed. (OMG, 42 pages before I could get that off my chest)