Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891011183358 ... LastLast

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

I wonder what research was done to come up with 10k as the "right" price for annual dues. I don't doubt that they will keep their membership roster full with the price hike, but I can't help thinking they are losing out on a lot of money. There are plenty of people that would bite at lower but still profitable price points. Why not use the Carthay Circle Club as a lower priced option? Maybe even use CCC as a stepping stone to a Club 33 membership. Members at CCC would have first right of refusal when a Club 33 spot opens...they could upgrade to the higher priced 33 membership, or continue at CCC with lower dues.
    Like I said before, it just seems like Disney will be leaving a lot of money on the table with these decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

Exactly Aristocat. The problem with the waiting list as it currently exists is that it is nothing but a list. The survey from 2-3 years ago looked at a club separate from Club 33. If you joined the 1901 club as a stepping stone to Club 33 then you might really have a good solution.
    The Mur

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    Time and time again, when Disney sees the potential for big dollars, they get very shortsighted and start grabbing at that money not realizing the mistakes they are creating. To learn this lesson, one would assume they would only have to look at the few billion dollars they are spending next door to correct the mistakes of their like-minded predecessors.
    From goldmining Club 33 to charging $3 to stitch your name on your Mouse Ears, Disney seems to be doing everything it can to advertise its greed.

The only question is how much longer it will take for its advertising to penetrate the pixie dust it cynically sprinkles on its customers -- when the Happiest Place on Earth will become synonymous with corporate avarice.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• time to go

Has anyone considered the possibility that grandfathering the existing members into Gold and offering only Platinum memberships come January is to deliberately thin the herd, as it were? Even if it costs Disney potential revenue to do this?

There are many Hollywood biggies who conduct business with the Mouse, who are also members of C33. Is it possible that they're the ones complaining about the lost sense of exclusivity with the place, along with other corporate types and power players?

When you think about what $3400/yr dues gets you, now, it's a bargain. Sign-in privileges for an added guest at the gate, valet parking at GCH even when you don't dine, and unlimited comp passes for your guests is pretty good on its own. But now add an exclusive restaurant created by Walt? Given what regular guests have to pay just to enter the parks for one day, the $3400 annual dues seems too low. C33 hasn't kept pace with the rest of the Disney theme park pricing.

So... adding a few more goodies, restricting the comps for guests, and upping the price to $10K per year will probably help to bring back the exclusivity it once enjoyed. And quite frankly, I don't blame Disney one bit for doing it.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I wonder what research was done to come up with 10k as the "right" price for annual dues.
    They did not ask me
    I did participate in the Carthay Circle Club survey a couple years ago, which specified a $10,450 initiation and $3,275 annual dues.
    The survey did have "comments" section, where I suggested Carthay Circle Club members should receive priority treatment toward future Club 33 membership and also hoped Carthay Circle membership might allow very limited access to Club 33. The survey might have shown that most people on the waiting list were only really interesting Club 33.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

I will make one more post, but I feel that we are at the point of beating a dead horse. When you consider everything, I do believe that the current membership dues are a fair value. Let us not forget that Club 33 is nothing more than a small restaurant inside of a theme park. I fully understand and appreciate the history and I feel the member events are what add true value to the membership.

I belong to several private membership clubs in California, Arizona and in Mexico. All but one club has acknowledged the severe economic crisis we are in. Each club has either lost membership, reduced membership dues or added additional benefits to keep their membership base. This is a sign of the times and although Disney is certainly a premium offering, I think they are way off the mark with this.

I have spent a great deal of money on premium events and services and I feel that I have a good pulse on what others are willing to spend. The club concept in DCA was resoundingly rejected and I think you will see the same with any membership level that starts at $10,000 per year with an undisclosed initiation fee. There are not that many deep pockets ready to lay out this kind of money for these limited benefits.

The bottom line is that I am not the one running the show so they will do as they see fit. I will enjoy revisiting this issue a year or so from now just as I enjoy going back and reading my previous arguments and rants about the decline of value in the various special events at Disneyland. Just as I predicted several years ago, all of these high dollar events have since disappeared. You can only burn these people so many times before they wise up. Too many people assume a 14 year wait list means there are thousands on the list....the actual number is not even close to that. Consider that most on the list are hooked into some form of social networking for their Disney fix and they all know about these changes and how the current membership base has been treated. Good luck selling that $10,000 membership to anyone, you would have a better chance of selling 20 million dollar condos in Las Vegas!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Has anyone considered the possibility that grandfathering the existing members into Gold and offering only Platinum memberships come January is to deliberately thin the herd, as it were?...

So... adding a few more goodies, restricting the comps for guests, and upping the price to $10K per year will probably help to bring back the exclusivity it once enjoyed. And quite frankly, I don't blame Disney one bit for doing it.
    I don't blame Disney at all. $10K is likely a better price point. Unfortunately, I personally may have been "thinned" out

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

/\ This.
    Quote Originally Posted by All4dISNEY
    Words hurt.

Special events...

One area that the club excels in are the Special Events. Over the years - these have proved most valuable and while expensive - they are exclusive to members and sometimes members and guests.

A few questions:

Has anyone seen the NEW member information: rules and benefits?

Will special events that allow guests - go into the '50' allotted tickets?

Silver Club members - - Don't seem to be mentioned in this thread - does anything in the new plan affect them?

Thanks, PF

• ohai

Hmm... very interesting!

Family name has been on the list for years, but maybe, if the time comes, we can get in.

Doubt it though.

Re: Special events...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulFirestone View Post
    One area that the club excels in are the Special Events. Over the years - these have proved most valuable and while expensive - they are exclusive to members and sometimes members and guests.

A few questions:

1. Has anyone seen the NEW member information: rules and benefits?

2. Will special events that allow guests - go into the '50' allotted tickets?

3. Silver Club members - - Don't seem to be mentioned in this thread - does anything in the new plan affect them?
    A few answers:

1. I haven't seen it, but it should be in your mailbox this week.

2. I was told that special events where it's member plus one will not come off your allotment.

3. I haven't heard anything on Silvers; so I don't know. But I imagine Silvers are getting the same treatment the Golds are.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy View Post
    Has anyone considered the possibility that grandfathering the existing members into Gold and offering only Platinum memberships come January is to deliberately thin the herd, as it were? Even if it costs Disney potential revenue to do this?

There are many Hollywood biggies who conduct business with the Mouse, who are also members of C33. Is it possible that they're the ones complaining about the lost sense of exclusivity with the place, along with other corporate types and power players?

When you think about what $3400/yr dues gets you, now, it's a bargain. Sign-in privileges for an added guest at the gate, valet parking at GCH even when you don't dine, and unlimited comp passes for your guests is pretty good on its own. But now add an exclusive restaurant created by Walt? Given what regular guests have to pay just to enter the parks for one day, the $3400 annual dues seems too low. C33 hasn't kept pace with the rest of the Disney theme park pricing.

Yes, I've been hinting at it for the past few days. I think some of the members/corporations are complaining about the "atmosphere" of the restaurant, and are willing to pay more for a more exclusive "atmosphere." the way it was, say, from the late 60's to early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment, post #23 View Post
    It certainly doesn't cost that much more to operate now than it did a few days ago (I could be wrong), but it seems to me they're trying to make it more exclusive, because there are some people who are willing to pay more if it were more exclusive. Only speculation can be used to determine what currently happens at Club 33 to make it appear not-so-exclusive....

I suspect the wait list will dwindle to nothing if all one can purchase is the Platinum plan at 10K per year. (That's about $200 per week, not including the restaurant tab.)
    Quote Originally Posted by sediment, post #50 in thread in Al's forum View Post
    I think it changes it back to what it was in the first place. It will be for 1%'ers. Corporations selling things, and celebrities showing off. Not that I have a problem with that. I'm sure there are some folks/corporations with membership who want it to be just that, and not what it has become. They want it to look exclusive, and that means eliminating members who make it look non-exclusive.
    Last edited by sediment; 12-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Yes, I've been hinting at it for the past few days. I think some of the members/corporations are complaining about the "atmosphere" of the restaurant, and are willing to pay more for a more exclusive "atmosphere." the way it was, say, from the late 60's to early 90's.
    If you want an exclusive atmosphere the way it was back in the day, then you'd have to make it like it was back in the day.
    Last edited by MagicKingdomBoy; 01-02-2012 at 01:17 PM.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

The problem with the above speculation is that there is not a single promise of what is to come. It is a slash in benefits with lower levels of service coupled with a higher price. I can't be Jedi mind-tricked into believing that a higher price somehow makes it more exclusive. Tell me, better yet, show me what the higher price tag gives me. Declining service at a higher price is not exclusive, it merely identifies me as a sucker who has too much money.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MagicKingdomBoy View Post
    If you want an exclusive atmosphere the way it was back in the day, then you'd have to make it like it was back in the day. Not just slap on a huge price tag and cut even more into the very soul of the club.
    It ain't me. talk to the members/corporations who are trying to seal million-dollar deals over a Club 33 table who want a more mature and business-like atmosphere. And if some celebrity is at the next table with his/her model friend, well, that's more impressive to the client than what is apparently present at Club 33. I don't know what it's like first-hand. There have been some discussions here about the general demeanor of some guests.

---------- Post added 12-22-2011 at 04:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    The problem with the above speculation is that there is not a single promise of what is to come. It is a slash in benefits with lower levels of service coupled with a higher price. I can't be Jedi mind-tricked into believing that a higher price somehow makes it more exclusive. Tell me, better yet, show me what the higher price tag gives me. Declining service at a higher price is not exclusive, it merely identifies me as a sucker who has too much money.
    Looks like you're figuring it out pretty quickly.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 567891011183358 ... LastLast