Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101112193459 ... LastLast

Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    It ain't me. talk to the members/corporations who are trying to seal million-dollar deals over a Club 33 table who want a more mature and business-like atmosphere. And if some celebrity is at the next table with his/her model friend, well, that's more impressive to the client than what is apparently present at Club 33. I don't know what it's like first-hand. There have been some discussions here about the general demeanor of some guests.

---------- Post added 12-22-2011 at 04:13 PM ----------

Looks like you're figuring it out pretty quickly.
    Yes we will find out quickly.

In all my years (decades) at Club 33 - there have been only a handful of Celebs - and while business deals may be made over a meal - walking through the park in a Suit - to have lunch there is surreal - I've met one 'business' friend there. I'm not sure how many corporate clients there are - judging from the members only events - I don't think the number is as great as one might think. The early days the club was for the sponsors - like Monsanto - today - not so sure. Corporate membership does not come cheap - and going to the club for lunch if you value your time - it's time burner - between parking, walking, picking up guest tickets - slow going.

General demeanor of guests is largely respectful - there's can always be someone who stands out - not too many places in society where that's precluded. The Dress code changes and enforcement have helped.

my mail box was empty today from club mail....

---------- Post added 12-22-2011 at 04:25 PM ----------

one more aside - I've been told that Celebs, politicians, rich and famous - can't get in unless they know a member and the member makes the reservation. Many a park tour has been made where a "A" list has requested a meal there and been told it can't happen - that's been said to me by many a manager.

• Senior Minion

Beneath the details, the real sadness in all this is the theme of the story: the all-too-familiar tale of how once again, Disney displays its disrespect for the spirit of the traditions of Disneyland. Louder than charging kids $3 to have their names stitched on their Mouse Ears, more telling than turning the Court of Angels into a merchandise mini-mall, the Club 33 cash grab advertises Disney as just another disciple of corporate greed.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Beneath the details, the real sadness in all this is the theme of the story: the all-too-familiar tale of how once again, Disney displays its disrespect for the spirit of the traditions of Disneyland. Louder than charging kids $3 to have their names stitched on their Mouse Ears, more telling than turning the Court of Angels into a merchandise mini-mall, the Club 33 cash grab advertises Disney as just another disciple of corporate greed.
    What you say is true, but do note that it takes two to tango.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Bingo.

- Neil Gabler

• Hiding from the Sheeple

You are 100% correct. Disney is a business and they are well within their rights to add/subtract offers or change how the business is run. Only if enough people reject the offer will they be forced to rethink this issue. I hope at some point common sense will prevail and that the current members will reject these changes.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    You are 100% correct. Disney is a business and they are well within their rights to add/subtract offers or change how the business is run.
    Exactly. Which puts it in the same club with banking corporations, airlines and Wall Street.

I hope at some point common sense will prevail and that the current members will reject these changes.
    I doubt the former will happen. Club 33 is just the latest symptom of a mindset that has been prevalent at Disney for over two decades.

The latter will happen as a matter of course, given time -- and the certain continuation of the corporation's current mindset.

- Neil Gabler

• Rock Star Minion

I think DIS wants some members to reject the changes, and leave. If they want only 100 members, this is the way to do it. Once the paring is finished, then maybe some benefits return.
    Not unlike the AP Program, it's the size and popularity that have likely caused the problems.
    Last edited by sediment; 12-27-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Angry Re: Club 33 Membership Changes for 2012

Has anyone asked the Club if they are planning on increasing the membership size? That has to be the reason for the changes. They probably plan on doubling the membership size to increase annual revenue. If they limit the number of guests a member can invite they will be able to increase the membership size while still not overfilling the club. You can bet your bottom dollar that the Club is not going to be any less crowded after this change. They would still need to fill up the Club to support the staff and pay for overhead, or are they planing on laying employees off after this change goes into effect as that would certainly need to be done will less patronage.

It's a real shame that over 40 years of tradition and Walt Disney's concept of the club are to be changed for a buck. Here is a quote for Disney's own PR:

"Today, Club 33 functions as an exclusive private club where members or their guests may enjoy a gourmet meal complemented by the finest wines. Tradition, accompanied by gracious hospitality, has been the hallmark of Club 33 since its opening day . . . and will continue to be for many years to come.

I guess they will need to change that to "Today, Club 33 functions as an exclusive private club where members or their guests, so long as they limit it to 50 guests a year, may enjoy a gourmet meal complemented by the finest wines."

Just doesn't seem to sound quite as inviting though.
    Last edited by Club 33 Member; 12-24-2011 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 Member View Post
    Has anyone asked the Club if they are planning on increasing the membership size? for many years to come.
    The question has been asked, but they avoid answering it. I have said several times in this thread and in another thread, the only reason for this change is to double the membership ranks.

They have been trying to find a way to get at the money on the wait list for years. The first plan was expansion. That was shot down when they decided to build the Dream Suite instead of using the space for Club 33 expansion.

Their second attempt was to push everyone on the wait list to a new club inside of California Adventure. That failed in the early stages with nobody willing to pay $10,000.00 per year to belong to a club that had no history or personal connection to Walt.

In typical Disney fashion, when all else fails, blame the paying customer and tell them they did something wrong. Amazing how the club has been booked solid for years but now they feel all of the business they have been rewarded with was really "abuse" by the current membership base.

They not only intend to double the membership base, but they also hope to clear out some of the current members who are grandfathered into silver or now gold membership dues and replace them with platinum memberships. Funny how the names for the membership levels keep getting fancier but with less privileges. What happened to the old days where being a member (without any fancy name) actually meant something.

I am waiting to upgrade to titanium membership for $50,000.00 where it includes a fried chicken picnic to Walt's grave in Forest Lawn.
    Last edited by Disneynut; 12-24-2011 at 03:32 PM.

I am waiting to upgrade to titanium membership for $50,000.00 where it includes a fried chicken picnic to Walt's grave in Forest Lawn.
    Is that the new level for 2013? The member events always sound so awesome! I wish they would offer picnics like that to passholders or make it a D23 event for the masses....

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost View Post
    Is that the new level for 2013? The member events always sound so awesome! I wish they would offer picnics like that to passholders or make it a D23 event for the masses....
    Tell you what, I'll spring for the chicken if you pay for the gas. Sounds like we really don't need Club 33 for much of anything these days.

Tell you what, I'll spring for the chicken if you pay for the gas. Sounds like we really don't need Club 33 for much of anything these days.
    Sounds good! Just let me know when.

• Minion

The question has been asked, but they avoid answering it. I have said several times in this thread and in another thread, the only reason for this change is to double the membership ranks.
    But I'm confused then, since it has also been said several times in this thread that upping the fee to $10k will (or has already) cleared out the waiting list and that very few people would sign up at that price point. How does this grow membership?

• Embrace the kitsch!

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    But I'm confused then, since it has also been said several times in this thread that upping the fee to $10k will (or has already) cleared out the waiting list and that very few people would sign up at that price point. How does this grow membership?
    Tripling the fee is only part of it. First they need to burn through the 10 year waiting list. A lot of the people are on the list in hopes of being able to afford it when their number comes up. They will get weeded out in favor of the ones who are willing/able to get into 33 at any price. Even at $10,000, there are plenty of people who will be more than happy to pay.

The real work of increasing membership will be done by limiting the membership benefits. By limiting the number of guests a member can bring in, they can free up more space for dues paying members. Rather than having one member and his 11 guests "cluttering up the place," for example, they can get six members, each w/ one guest. Same number of people, more actual members, and thus more money.
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    It is Christmas and my three year old wants to head downstairs to the tree at 4:30 in the morning so I apologize that I can't sift through my earlier posts to find the exact words I previously used. You are correct, I did not restate my earlier position in my most recent post. There is a giant difference between the intentions of Club 33 management and what I believe is reality.

I agree with your post in that membership will not actually grow. It is the intention of Disney to double the membership ranks because they believe that everyone on that waiting list is a serious buyer and that they will actually pay for the new offer (this is not an actual offer as of yet, should be in a month or so) at the much higher price.

This has been Disney corporate policy for years. We have seen the same at Disney California Adventure. We can offer them less and charge them more by slapping the Disney name on a substandard offering. They truly feel that we are mindless sheeple who won't know the difference. Problem is, it did not work then and it won't work now.

I don't dispute the fact that there are hundreds of people on that wait list. That said, these people wanted to be on a wait list based on certain pricing and because of the benefits offered at the time they joined the list. You can't slash benefits to almost nothing while seeking to triple the price and then expect these same people to buy in. This is a giant mistake. I don't care that Club 33 sends out the occasional letter asking if the person is still interested in membership. Only when they are asked to write a check for $30,000 or $40,000 will we see how deep that list really is. I do believe you will have a few people sign up (5-15), but not 400 new members like they incorrectly assume will sign up.

I hope everyone reading this has a great holiday and enjoys this special time with their family and loved ones!
    Last edited by Disneynut; 12-25-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101112193459 ... LastLast