Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• DLR Cast Member

Red Car Trolley Testing in DCA This Past Week!

I wanted to let everyone know that, this past week, the new Red Car Trolley was being tested on Hollywood & Sunset Blvd at DCA. They've been testing it during the morning hours prior to park opening. CM's were able to watch the Red Car meander its way from the wigwag signal at Tower of Terror down to the elephants at the Hollywoodland entrance, and back. This first Red Car is painted a Bright Red with Terra Cotta accents. Although not to scale, it's pretty spot on in detail and theme. I was told we can expect the second Red Car will be delivered in February.

Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take pictures.

Re: Red Car Trolley Testing in DCA This Past Week!

How fast will they move?

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by bummerkit View Post
    How fast will they move?
    Good question. What I saw was just testing. It was traveling at approximately the same speed as the horse-drawn carriages. I'm honestly not sure what the actual speed will be during park operation.

Oh, did I mention I'm bummed that I wasn't allowed to take pictures?
    Last edited by RiversOfAmerica; 12-17-2011 at 12:57 PM.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Good question. What I saw was just testing. It was traveling at approximately the same speed as the horse-drawn carriages. I'm honestly not sure what the actual speed will be during park operation.

You're bummed! How do you think we feel...
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Iron-Clad Allie

Take heart, RiversOfAmerica. Perhaps you can find an point to zoom in on it from once testing expands to Buena Vista Street. Or, you might even find a place to hide and zoom in Hollywood.

Where trolly speed is in question, I think the testing speed (you liked to the Main street horse-drawn carriages) will probably be the actual speed of the trollies, taking in consideration public safety.

Oh,you're right that photo ops will be allowed soon enuff.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 12-17-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Take heart, RiversOfAmerica. Perhaps you can find an point to zoom in on it from once testing expands to Buena Vista Street. Or, you might even find a place to hide and zoom in Hollywood.
    Nocandooo.... There are restrictions on CM's taking certain photos, and if we violate those restrictions, it's grounds for termination. I just wouldn't risk it. I've witness other CM's get dismissed for that reason. They'll be visible to the guests soon enough, I'm sure.
    Where trolly speed is in question, I think the testing speed (you liked to the Main street horse-drawn carriages) will probably be the actual speed of the trollies, taking in consideration public safety.
    I'm gonna guess the same thing, albeit, it's only a guess at this point. Since the full track through Buena VIsta Street isn't available for testing yet, it's certinaly possible that the final speed will be tested once the full track and its systems (such as switching and wigwag sensors) are open.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Nocandooo.... There are restrictions on CM's taking certain photos, and if we violate those restrictions, it's grounds for termination. I just wouldn't risk it. I've witness other CM's get dismissed for that reason. They'll be visible to the guests soon enough, I'm sure.

I'm gonna guess the same thing, albeit, it's only a guess at this point. Since the full track through Buena VIsta Street isn't available for testing yet, it's certinaly possible that the final speed will be tested once the full track and its systems (such as switching and wigwag sensors) are open.
    Sorry, ROA. Didn't realize that you are a CM, or I never would have even hinted at such a thing. It's extremely noble of you to put your best foot forward in trying to gain permission.

thanks for filling me in more on the testing. It will be intersting to find out if they adjust the speed upward a notch or two, and to see the sensors in operation.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Hey guys so maybe I'm out of the loop but doesn't the red car trolly run by the wires they're going to put in for it? Or was that idea scraped and they run on some other type of outlet?
    Jeff Wayne

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    Hey guys so maybe I'm out of the loop but doesn't the red car trolly run by the wires they're going to put in for it? Or was that idea scraped and they run on some other type of outlet?
    Technically, a real trolly does use the wires and a trolly pole, but they will be fake in the park. The trolleys will run on batteries instead. I believe the batteries will be recharged at the stops via inductive charging, what is used by the submarines or those wireless charging kits available for some electronic devices.

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Technically, a real trolly does use the wires and a trolly pole, but they will be fake in the park. The trolleys will run on batteries instead. I believe the batteries will be recharged at the stops via inductive charging, what is used by the submarines or those wireless charging kits available for some electronic devices.
    Ya this is correct. The wires are cosmetic only.

I'm suspecting that those embedded wires under the street at the trolley stops are the induction charging coils. They work by generating a magnetic field, which then induces a current in a coil of wire built into the bottom of the trolley. A changing magnetic field creates current in a wire, and a current in a wire generates a magnetic field. These two principles are the basis of electromagnets, electric motors, linear motors (like the things that launch Screamin') and "wireless" chargers like will be used on the trolleys.

• Working on the same droid

So this is the closest we are going to get to the Toontown Jolly Trolleys, which I never see running anymore?
    "I'm listening to K-DROID, my favorite station! This is the latest hit from "Danny and the Droids". It's called "I Wanna Weld Your Hand". I love those roboto intros!

• Hello

So cool!!! Can't wait.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by G2 9T View Post
    So this is the closest we are going to get to the Toontown Jolly Trolleys, which I never see running anymore?
    It never runs because the crowds are too big in Toontown. It's just not safe with all those very young kids running around wild and not looking where they are going.

• Banned User

That's funny. Toontown's a lot less busy than Main st., and that has several more vehicles.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    That's funny. Toontown's a lot less busy than Main st., and that has several more vehicles.
    Its not the term busy, but rather Toon Town had more uncontrolled traffic. Parents see Toon Town as a place where they can let their kids roam free. The result was 4 year olds running the streets playing tag right in front of an oncoming trolley. That was also the grounds for closing in Tokyo too, where the ran the Trolley for years long but had a cast member walking in front of the trolley at all times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast