Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Years in the parks

I am planning on going to disneyland for new years, and i know nothing about how new years works in the parks. Do they have any special shows and fireworks, and should the parks stop letting people in due to ding to full?
    Thanks for your help

• Sock Puppet

Re: New Years in the parks

Each park does put on a special show and countdown to the new year. Over at Disney California Adventure Park, you can watch the World of Color New Years Pre Show, and if it is like last year upon getting your fastpass for World of Color, they will ask you if you would prefer the Midnight showing, or the regular show. If you wish to see the show, which got great reveiws last year, request the midnight showing. An upside about this fastpass system is that you do not have to save your spot, whereas at Disneyland Park you have to camp out for hours on end for a good spot to see their New Years Eve Show...After this Pre Show ends, the first World of Color Show of the new year begins, with a small break in between to allow the smoke to clear out of the area.Here is a video of last year's New Years pre show at Disney California Adventure Park:

This is similar to what it will be like this year, but is not spot on, as they are designing a new show for this year. The Disneyland one, unlike the one that they show at Disney California Adventure, is the same year after year.However an upside is that it is longer than that of the show over at Disney California Adventure Park. Here a video(Skip to 4:55 to see the actual show and countdown):
    }
    Also, the parks, well at least Disneyland, have been known to reach capacity on New Years, so get there early to ensure that you are allowed into the park.

• Minion

It will be busy, and unless it rains, the park will reach capacity sometime in the afternoon. There are midnight fireworks for both parks. DCA usually has an Electronica thing, while DL has STompy Jones playing at Carnation Gardens.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I'm really thinking of going this year. I usually skip out because of the massive crowds. But I gotta go at least one year!

• Banned User

In a little garden called Pixie Hollow at the base of the magestic Matterhorn Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    It will be busy, and unless it rains, the park will reach capacity sometime in the afternoon. There are midnight fireworks for both parks. DCA usually has an Electronica thing, while DL has STompy Jones playing at Carnation Gardens.
    since it falls on a saturday this year, they will be doing the swing dancing thing at carnation instead of the other guy

• Former CM

As a former cast member, I would advise you to get there as early as possible. Last year both parks reached capacity by 11am. It was so full even our Cast Member IDs were blocked out. I did get to attend the first ever Fountains and Fireworks and it was well worth it. I'll be there again this year! It was definitely the place to be!

I hope this helps! Happy New Year!

• Future Indy Castmember

I will be taking a break from spending New Years at Disneyland but will be looking foward to the Youtube Videos of this years Fountain and Fireworks Countdown.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak15 View Post
    As a former cast member, I would advise you to get there as early as possible. Last year both parks reached capacity by 11am. It was so full even our Cast Member IDs were blocked out. I did get to attend the first ever Fountains and Fireworks and it was well worth it. I'll be there again this year! It was definitely the place to be!
    If i enter one of the parks and reach capacity while i am in it, am i able to leave and comeback, or go over to the outher park?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by count_justin View Post
    since it falls on a saturday this year, they will be doing the swing dancing thing at carnation instead of the other guy
    Stompy Jones is a swing band, and almost always plays NYE at Disney (Jump Jive Boogie Swing Party.) We love going to listen to him between other things that night. Doc Anello and the Swing Machine will be playing in Laguna Hills on NYE.

---------- Post added 12-18-2011 at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Natenob View Post
    If i enter one of the parks and reach capacity while i am in it, am i able to leave and comeback, or go over to the outher park?
    If you leave the park, and it reaches capacity, you will not be allowed to reenter until the attendance level drops. Once enough people exit, you would be allowed to reenter. This is by the Anaheim FIre Marshal, not Disney. However, on NYE, since most people know they can't get back in, people don't leave. Generally, by 7pm, the gates are closed and don't reopen until midnight. We've had no problem reentering as late as 5pm, but I would not chance it after that. If the turnstiles close, I line forms at the gate, and you just have to wait, until it reopens.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

We will become the 1st 2012 new holders of Deluxe APs on January 1, but will be staying on Harbor Blvd NYE. Is there anything worth being in Downtown Disney for at midnight? Thinking more for my 16 year old than myself if that makes a difference.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• Loves Disney

My girlfriend and I attended the 2009/2010 celebrations and our plan was simple get to the park as early as we can and stay in the park. We got to the park at 6am and there was already a line to get into the park before it was even open. We got in about 8:05am. We packed two bags with snacks and food to last most of the day and we just got fastpasses for the rides we really wanted. The rest of the day was feeding the ducks like we always do and people watching. By 8pm mainstreet was a mess and we actually camped out and counted down the new year over by Matterhorn and the old motorboat dock. afterwards when the park closed it was horrendous leaving the park and parking structure. We still had a great time but vowed never to go on New Years to Disneyland. We are planning one year to try DCA but I rather wait a year or two to try that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLoon View Post
    afterwards when the park closed it was horrendous leaving the park and parking structure.
    The park doesn't close until 2am. We have found if you hang out for a half hour, the craziness of trying to leave vanishes. My kids usually hit a few rides at midnight and by one am, the park has cleared out and they can walk on just about everything.

• Dont make me unfriend you

My wife and I went about 12 years ago. It was packed. You couldn't walk anywhere in the mall by Small World. We waited 90 minutes for the Small World ride. We didn't enjoy it. It was just too crowded and too much work to enjoy. If you just find a spot and camp and not move, then it might not be bad. But trying to spend a "normal" day at the park and walk to different rides and stuff... pppffff. We promised not to do it again.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak15 View Post

Are you sure about that? We were at DCA last year and I went out to my hotel at probably around 4pm and they were still selling tickets. I had absolutely no problem leaving and coming back.

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Are you sure about that? We were at DCA last year and I went out to my hotel at probably around 4pm and they were still selling tickets. I had absolutely no problem leaving and coming back.
    I guess the New Years Eve crowds vary each year.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast