Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Just this guy......

Re: Mac Daddy's 2011 Winter/Holiday Photo Thread

Congratulations on both the cover and the article. Your tutorials here on the site have been some of best that I have ever seen. I still hope that you will write a book (e-book) collecting them together.

• Mischievous Mouse

Right on!!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Thanks for the photos, you've got a great eye and a lot of patience. I like how you use unique points of view for familiar locations, especially when incorporating picturesque weather conditions.

I can see you're occasionally using neutral density filters....what other techniques do you incorporate to achieve the vivid color saturation? The color in your work reminds me of photographer Galen Rowell.

(You've probably covered this in many posts I've missed, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.)

Amazing!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    This is why you're one of my favorite Micechat posters! I always look forward to your pictures, MacDaddy ~ great job as always. I can't wait to see more of your Candlelight 2011 shots. Please post soon!

Lannie Bartlett
    Thanks Lannie! More should be up very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    Congratulations on both the cover and the article. Your tutorials here on the site have been some of best that I have ever seen. I still hope that you will write a book (e-book) collecting them together.
    I might have an e book up in the far and distant future, but the main tutorials have been done by my good friend Michael Greening, aka Ring Of Fire Hot Sauce. He's been a veritable bouffant of knowledge and the organizer of our meets. I don't want to speak for him, but rumor has it that he may have a project in the works in the very near future which would be chock full of tutorials. I've already got my order in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer's Apprentice View Post
    Right on!!
    Thanks Sorcerer's Apprentice!

Quote Originally Posted by ed43bauhaus View Post
    Thanks for the photos, you've got a great eye and a lot of patience. I like how you use unique points of view for familiar locations, especially when incorporating picturesque weather conditions.

I can see you're occasionally using neutral density filters....what other techniques do you incorporate to achieve the vivid color saturation? The color in your work reminds me of photographer Galen Rowell.

(You've probably covered this in many posts I've missed, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks.)
    Thanks ed4bauhaus! My main four software programs are Photoshop CS5, Nik Color Efex Pro 4, Photomatix 4, and Lightroom. If there is a shot that I think may have an exposure problem later, I will usually bracket that shot and layer in highs and lows as they are needed. Michael Greening has several tutorials up here that discuss bracketing and how to keep shots from blowing out, etc. The short answer is that much of my work is done in post but I usually bracket my shots in order to give myself more to work with. The color usually comes from Nik Color Efex or I'll give it a bump in Photoshop SC5 RAW.

Having said that, I try to stay away from shooting mid day as the light is usually pretty lousy by then. My favorite time to shoot is late afternoon into the early morning/evening when many of those colors pop on their own, and I'll get most of that color in camera before I begin working on that particular image. Under those circumstances, I won't need a filter to get that color with my Nikon. The blue hour shot of the tree only had a mild bump in color as the sky was already that color in camera.

Quote Originally Posted by shadylanestudio View Post
    Amazing!!
    Thanks Shadylandstudio!

Part II should be up shortly.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-21-2011 at 03:29 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I absolutely love the Monorail shot! And all the others for that matter.

---------- Post added 12-21-2011 at 05:29 PM ----------

I do have a question regarding tripods at disneyland. Can you tell us which one you're using and what security says about them?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Amazing Shots Mac Daddy, I want to aspire to your level of photography!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Part II:

In no particular order, here's another round of shots from the past few weeks:

Winter11.39.3.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Winter11.38.1.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Winter11.29.3.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Winter11.34.2.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Winter11.18.5.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

The Billys in an impromptu Christmas performance in front of the Pioneer:

Winter11.33.4.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Gary Sinese reflecting on our troops around the world at the conclusion of Candlelight:

Winter11.35.1.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

The line of candles streaming across Town Square during the opening procession:

Winter11.36.1.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Winter11.37.1.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Winter11.9.5.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Here's a macro shot from the Main Street Olszewski exhibit in the Gallery...

Winter11.27.5.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

This last one is a bit over the edge in terms of HDR, but every once and a while, I like to experiment a bit.

A Concentric View Of Christmas At Disneyland by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

And from the opposite end of Main Street looking back...

Christmas At Disneyland - The Opposite View by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

For Part III, click HERE
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 01-17-2012 at 07:15 AM.

• ohai

Amazing!

Can't wait for more.

What kind of lens is that?

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

As always your photos take my breath away. I'm glad there was a link in today's Roundup as I just don't get on MiceChat much anymore. And I'm in agreement with everyone else - you are a pro and congrats on the fabulous cover!
    PS - Happy to see a photo of the Billys on the Porch

• Member since 2005

Great Photo's.

• Elk Grove Chris

I love all of these, the ornaments on the tree are amazing on the last shot. Is that a composite?
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Member since 2005

Your photo's bring back a lot of my memories of my past candlelight attendance.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

That's gotta be quite a zoom if you can get the castle so big all the way from the christmas tree!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I absolutely love the Monorail shot! And all the others for that matter.

---------- Post added 12-21-2011 at 05:29 PM ----------

I do have a question regarding tripods at disneyland. Can you tell us which one you're using and what security says about them?
    Thanks Coheteoy. Good question about the tripods as several folks in our group have been hassled by security at different times. I currently have a Carbon Fiber Benro Travel Angel C1691T with a ball head which folds down pretty small. Technically, tripods are supposed to fit into your backpack, but we've had several security guys tell us that what is posted on the website is meaningless and that they are not allowed.

HOWEVER..., these tend to be the security guys who either are ignorant of what is posted on their own website or they are simply taking license with their own rules as they see fit. The thing that is particularly galling for us is when they tell us point blank that we may NOT use tripods to shoot the monorail as it is a transportation vehicle and that they have concerns following 911. When we've asked if we can take shots of the monorail WITHOUT the tripods, they tell us no problem.

WHAT?? First of all, what Al Quaida member is going to use a freaking TRIPOD to call attention to the fact that he wants a top quality shot of the monorail when he can get an amazing shot on his iphone 4s? And the fact that they would let us shoot all day WITHOUT the tripod....you just have to wonder who is in charge over there.

In the mean time, on the Disney Blog, Disney photographer Paul Hilfinger has stated that if you want to get decent fireworks shots to be sure to bring a tripod. Other security guards have told us that it just depends on the situation. You certainly don't want to be a knuckle head and do something that would cause injury to yourself or others, i.e. setting up the tripod in the middle of Main Street to photograph the tidal wave of humanity exiting the park. So technically, yes, the are still allowed as per the Disneyland FAQ section on the website, but it should fit into a "standard sized backpack" and should be set up in a place where it won't block traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    Amazing Shots Mac Daddy, I want to aspire to your level of photography!
    Thanks cakvalasc!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyRicky View Post
    Amazing!

Can't wait for more.

What kind of lens is that?
    Thanks Disney Ricky! Is there one shot in particular that you are referring to? I think for this last batch of shots I went between the Sigma 10-20, Tokina 11-16 2.8, and my relatively new Nikkor 70-200 2.8, VR which I'm still paying off and will continue to pay off for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendygirl View Post
    As always your photos take my breath away. I'm glad there was a link in today's Roundup as I just don't get on MiceChat much anymore. And I'm in agreement with everyone else - you are a pro and congrats on the fabulous cover!
    PS - Happy to see a photo of the Billys on the Porch
    Thanks Wendygirl. It was good to see the Billys speading some holiday cheer outside of the Golden Horseshoe.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcrzer View Post
    Great Photo's. Your photo's bring back a lot of my memories of my past candlelight attendance.
    Thanks sfcrzer! I had a great time taking my choirs to perform in the Ceremony when I taught high school years ago. It was always a LOT of work, but so rewarding to hear the finished product and to see those amazing trumpets up there on the roof. Gives me chills every time.

Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    I love all of these, the ornaments on the tree are amazing on the last shot. Is that a composite?
    Thanks Chris001! No, that last one was taken with the Nikkor 70-200 at f20. I did sharpen the heck out of those ornaments to get them to pop like that, but that scene was actually cropped from a larger shot. No composite there.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    That's gotta be quite a zoom if you can get the castle so big all the way from the christmas tree!
    That's the 70-200 2.8. In that particular shot, I think I was all the way out to 70, so I could have gotten in close enough to fill most of the frame with the partners. I've tried a couple of times, but still haven't quite nailed the lighting, etc to make the shot work. It's definitely on my list.

More shots on the way.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast