Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Some imagination, huh?

Re: Mac Daddy's 2011 Winter/Holiday Photo Thread

Great stuff and congratulations on the magazine cover! The thing I like best about your posts is that you really did start where we all are and your photos just illustrate how if you practice and continue learning, you can end up anywhere you want! Thanks for the continual inspiration to all of us!

Gorgeous as usual. My favorites are always your shots of the monorail over the sub lagoon. I love your pictures, I've followed your pictorials since 2005-06

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by niklj View Post
    Great stuff and congratulations on the magazine cover! The thing I like best about your posts is that you really did start where we all are and your photos just illustrate how if you practice and continue learning, you can end up anywhere you want! Thanks for the continual inspiration to all of us!
    Thanks niklj! I really do think it's a different age now that photography has become digital. While I would have LOVED to have been able to take classes in high school or college, I missed out on that as my career was in a completely different area. I shot with a Canon AE-1 just out of high school, but when my kids were born, I became a videographer and let my wife take most of the still shots. It honestly wasn't until I saw shots and trip reports by Darkbeer, Crazylegs, DaddyB, and several others back in 2005 that I became fascinated with the idea of digital photography, and it wasn't too long before I began borrowing the Nikon D60 from my department at the college...just to make sure I knew how it worked. . From that point on I was hooked. But I had to learn (and believe me, I'm STILL learning) from some of the guys and gals around here and on flickr who were posting shots that I thought were simply unbelievable. Then came a few books, more lenses, some videos, a few more software programs...all while trying to learn as much as I can every year. In this digital age, it is MUCH easier for someone to pick up a camera and began taking some really amazing photographs. I'm still trying to get used to the idea that the new iphone has an 8 megapixel camera and is pretty close in terms of resolution to the D60 that I started with! That magazine cover is due in LARGE part to the community of photographers on flickr and on Micechat. I have surrounded myself with some very talented people and we generally share information very freely in terms of settings, software, etc. I think of Gregg Cooper as the "professor" of our group as I believe he has been at this for the longest amount of time and really has a knack for creating gorgeous images by blending HDR with traditional layering in his shots. When you factor in Michael Greening, who has been posting tutorials on Micechat for several months now, along with Ryan, Kent, Patty, Charlotte, Tom, Cory, Tim, Brett, Don, Bob and more than a few other names of folks who have hung out with us during the past year, you have quite a collection of ideas, and I think we all grow as a result. Plus, we just like hanging out at one of our favorite places on the planet while we talk about photoraphy. I really hope more folks can join us at our next meet....whenever that is. I think Mike (Ring of Fire) might be trying to put something together for January.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland55 View Post
    Gorgeous as usual. My favorites are always your shots of the monorail over the sub lagoon. I love your pictures, I've followed your pictorials since 2005-06

---------- Post added 12-24-2011 at 09:17 AM ----------

Thanks DL55. I am honored that you would still come back to check out my shots after all this time! You were around back when Frogmiller and the others were posting some amazing shots back in the day, and these were the folks that motivated me to keep plugging away. I love shooting the monorail, but as I mentioned earlier, it cracks me up that they'll call the SWAT team in if you take out a tripod to shoot it. I've been able to get most of those shots without being hassled, but Gregg has been hassled multiple times and I think now he's taking a break from shooting the monorail...at least when there are security people around.

More shots up hopefully on Monday. Have a very Merry Christmas everyone!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-24-2011 at 09:21 AM.

gorgeous photos!

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

MacDaddy your photos never cease to amaze me. Great job and congrats on the cover magazine and article. I've always wanted to get into photography and learn how to take great photos, I just have never taken the time to learn.......not yet anyway

• Bucket List Car

Your photos are so amazing. I just don't understand why you aren't the official photographer for Disneyland!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Part III: Transitioning from the Holiday Season to the Winter off season:

Christmas On Main Street, USA by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

A Fish Eyed View Of Christmas At Disneyland by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

Merry Christmas To All, And To All A Good Night by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

The Last Christmas Shot Of 2011 by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

A Blue Christmas On Main Street by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

Closing Time by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

A Stormy Night At The Mill by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

(More to come)

Amazing, you capture the "fantasy" or "surreal" feelings of the park so well! I have a question, do you have 1920 X 1080 sized pictures that could be used as desktop walpapers? I don't know much about resolution, or if you need a special camera for that size.. or something. Just curious. Thanks for sharing your talent!

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

If you click on the pictures it takes you to MacDaddy's Flickr account...there you can download the "large" size of these photos - works for my desktop background!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Amazing, you capture the "fantasy" or "surreal" feelings of the park so well! I have a question, do you have 1920 X 1080 sized pictures that could be used as desktop walpapers? I don't know much about resolution, or if you need a special camera for that size.. or something. Just curious. Thanks for sharing your talent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    If you click on the pictures it takes you to MacDaddy's Flickr account...there you can download the "large" size of these photos - works for my desktop background!
    Lady Nimrodelle is correct. If you click on the photo, it will take you to my flickr account. If you click under "Actions" and then "View all sizes" it will allow you to view a much larger size of the photo, usually large enough for a desk top. The resolution might be off a bit, but I think they will work. The original sizes of these files are available on my website, but generally those sizes have been reserved for prints that can be ordered through Bay Photo via Smugmug. Thanks for your comments!

• Goofy

nice pictures thanks.

•   

WOW!

Back in 2007 or 2008 Frogberto was the first MC'er to mention HDR. I am amazed at how commonplace the technique is now, and how you have obviously become a master in such a short time. Amazing work.

Congrats on the magazine cover too!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Backstage View Post
    gorgeous photos!
    Thanks Backstage!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Disneylandfan View Post
    MacDaddy your photos never cease to amaze me. Great job and congrats on the cover magazine and article. I've always wanted to get into photography and learn how to take great photos, I just have never taken the time to learn.......not yet anyway
    Thanks 1Disneylandfan. I'm living proof that it's never too late to learn or to try new things. Just a little over five years ago, I figured I would just work until I was 70, and then I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do. Now, I'm hoping to retire at age 60 and go into photography full time. Not sure if i can pull it off, but I'm sure going to try.

Quote Originally Posted by xalesa View Post
    Your photos are so amazing. I just don't understand why you aren't the official photographer for Disneyland!!!
    Thanks, Xalesa! Having met one of the professional photographers for WDW, I've learned that it's not all fun and games and that working for the mouse can be very demanding and at times quite frustrating. But given the access that those guys and gals have....I think that would be a dream job. To be able to shoot from the top of the Matterhorn or train station, or in other restricted areas would be amazing. Or to have access to an EMPTY park before it opened as the sun came up....I would pay money for that. I'm pretty sure that could never happen in real life, but it sure is fun to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    nice pictures thanks.
    Thanks Rex Dopey!

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMatt View Post
    WOW!
    Back in 2007 or 2008 Frogberto was the first MC'er to mention HDR. I am amazed at how commonplace the technique is now, and how you have obviously become a master in such a short time. Amazing work.
    Congrats on the magazine cover too!
    Thanks PhotoMatt! Frogberto was a great inspiration to me while he was here and I remember being very disappointed after he stopped posting. I am still learning when it comes to HDR and trying different ideas all the time. But I still consider myself a bit of a padawan, if you will, compared to Gregg Cooper (Corsair13) who is the current Jedi Master of HDR. He's been very influential in helping me to move past just what I can get from Photomatix on it's own by going back to the original files and layering in pieces that are too soft or overly saturated by the HDR process. I think he was the first to suggest Nik Color Efex Pro to me as well, and I use that on almost all of my post processing work now. So....I don't consider myself a "Master" yet, but I LOVE learning new things, and I'm picking up new ideas almost every day. Hope to see more of your shots again on Micechat again some day soon! Do you still have that Nikon D300?

I should have a couple more installments up soon. Thanks everyone for the views and comments.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Part IV:

Gotta love the off season. At what other time of the year can you watch the parade in the rain with the princesses holding umbrellas and refurb walls lining the street?

Winter11.69.1.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Winter11.68.1.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Winter11.70.5.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

More shots from around the parks...

Winter11.67.3.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Blue Hour On The Rivers Of America by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

Winter11.51.4.6 by Macke Daddy, on Flickr

Blue Hour At The Matterhorn by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

And this one from a storm that broke up over Paradise Pier last Monday...

Mid Winter Storm Over Paradise Pier by WJMcIntosh, on Flickr

More to come!

• Minion

Glorious as always! I'm actually bummed I haven't had any rain whenever I'm at Disneyland. I miss all those great reflections and moody skies.
    Life is far too short for bland food!

Flickr page: www.flickr.com/ringoffirehotsauce
    You Tube: www.youtube.com/ringoffireguy
    Facebook: http://profile.to/michaelgreening/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/RingofFire1
    Personal website: www.mikeanddianes.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast