• Stay Positive

"Disneyland will never be completed

It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."

we micechatters need to know that change in disneyland is a good thing, its keeping walts spirit. he wanted disneyland to change, because it shows that there are people in the world with imagination. Im pretty sure if walt was alive, he would wonder why we want an old hotel sign up, or an entrance sign and wonder why we want some old rides there, it shows we have no imagination at all, we just live of the imagination of one man. people say that doing rides of movies are no imagination at all, but atleast they thought of a new story line, new characters, but when they want the new rides being replaced with what was there before, thats no imagination at all.

"It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement- I knew when I was a kid."
    "Is a man who chooses to be bad better than a man who has the good imposed on him?"
    - Anthony Burgess
    "I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

Re: "Disneyland will never be completed

Says you.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Well, Walt was a buisness man, so of course he would always change things, it would get more new people into the park, by giving them a reason to come. I think he would of eventually changed/taken down the old sign... Disneyland is a buisness, walt was a buisness man...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfanatic
    Im pretty sure if walt was alive, he would wonder why we want an old hotel sign up, or an entrance sign and wonder why we want some old rides there, it shows we have no imagination at all, we just live of the imagination of one man.
    If that was true, then why would he have put in Main Street USA, which in 1955 was only 45 years removed from the present. It was nostalgia.
    Walt had nostalgia for his youth and so do alot of people who are unhappy with the current changing of the guard. It's human nature.
    Personally, I think that updating signs is okay. Having said that, I would like to see the original signs displayed somewhere on Disneyland Resort property, like in a museum(whoops, wrong thread ).
    I also agree that Walt said "Disneyland will never be finished", but I think he would be less inclined to remove classic attractions such as Storybookland and Casey Junior(attractions that are still popular), when he could remove less popular attractions such as "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience" or "Innoventions" and build something in their place. Walt often had his Imagineers work within predetermined real estate size in order to make an attraction work(example:"Alice in Wonderland). That is a good definition of imagination.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Rock Star Minion

I think that Walt would be more inclined to use the park as a marketing device for upcoming movies. And instead of a blatently obvious "synergy" attempt (Chicken Little inflatable), he would have made them a lot more sincere in getting people to want to see the movie. Of course, the movies would likely be a lot better so it wouldn't take a hammer over the head. An example of this is the Disneyland series on ABC prior to its opening. Again, it was a good product from the start, and you can see the sincerity in his pitch.
    Also, any changes would be for the better, not for the cheaper. To get more guests to pay to enter the park, not merely to spend more once in the park, and not to take one look at the attraction and get disgusted at its cheapness and wonder where the amazing AA's went. Yeah, I'm looking at you, Pooh!!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Change isn't necessarily good. Only improvement is. And, whatever that improvement may be needs to preserve original design intent wherever possible.

While Disneyland is generally timeless, some elements will invariably seem outdated sometimes. But, this artwork and these artifacts still have cultural significance as much as the Disneyland attraction vehicles at the Smithsonian Institute do. The Disneyland Hotel simply offers an ideal environment to present these materials in a way that allows guests to appreciate and understand them within the context of the time periods from which said materials originated.

Videopolis is such a product of the 1980's, just as "America Sings" was emblematic of the American Bicentennial excitement of the 1970's. Adventures thru Inner Space is unmistakably from the 1960's, and the Mouseketeers come straight from the 1950's. Throughout it all, the Disneyland Hotel has stood observing these changes without being directly involved with them. More so than any other element at Disneyland, the Disneyland Hotel looks as if it was there since 1955. That datedness does not have to be a bad thing, however.

The Disneyland Hotel has a few exhibits, already, including the shadowbox of ephemera in the convention center lobby and the photographs of the American Presidents; royalty; other foreign heads of state; and, other illustrious Disneyland guests near the Fantasia Shop. These displays never fail to cause me to stop, linger, and reflect on the institution that Disneyland is. I just wish that the public spaces of the hotel featured more such items.

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Wink Re: "Disneyland will never be completed

Adding things is good. Changing things is not. I'm no Walt historian but as far as I know he never changed an existing ride to tie into a film or product, he'd just make a new ride.

Here's an idea, how about trying to add to the park rather than changing what's already there. I hear there's a good deal of largely undeveloped space just across from Disneyland

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sallah
    Adding things is good. Changing things is not. I'm no Walt historian but as far as I know he never changed an existing ride to tie into a film or product, he'd just make a new ride.

Here's an idea, how about trying to add to the park rather than changing what's already there. I hear there's a good deal of largely undeveloped space just across from Disneyland
    He never had a chance to change anything given the fact that Walt died about 10 years after Disneyland opened. And during those 10 years he added movie based attractions such as the Matterhorn. But no during the first 10 years of Disneyland, when it had a bunch of opened space, he did not re-do rides to do movie tie-ins. But now that there is not much more room in Disneyland to build good sized rides, what else would you expect from Disney now-a-days to keep up with the times?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Beside we saw disneys last mishap with all the undeveloped land they had in Cali, at least that is improving though.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Beside we saw disneys last mishap with all the undeveloped land they had in Cali, at least that is improving though.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Disney Wrassler again.

I tried!!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I think change is good, I think if there gonna change the sign so be it..

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~