Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Carthay Circle Theater Uncovered at Disney California Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by BuenaVista28 View Post
    Behind on construction thanks to the lame-o rain. =/
    And AP holders.

• Bigeternity

A beautiful piece of architecture to draw guests from the front gate.

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

This may seem blasphemous to some, but I see the CCT as actually superior, at least in one regard, to Sleeping Beauty's Castle in Disneyland. Where SBC only contains a walk-though diorama (and some bathrooms), the interior of the CCT will be used to provide guests with more - a place to sit down and soak in the atmosphere and enjoy a (hopefully) good meal. Also, it seems that the SBC walkthrough isn't one of those attractions that everybody visits (I don't recall ever seeing a queue for it), so the CCT may actually play host to more guests.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    This may seem blasphemous to some, but I see the CCT as actually superior, at least in one regard, to Sleeping Beauty's Castle in Disneyland. Where SBC only contains a walk-though diorama (and some bathrooms), the interior of the CCT will be used to provide guests with more - a place to sit down and soak in the atmosphere and enjoy a (hopefully) good meal. Also, it seems that the SBC walkthrough isn't one of those attractions that everybody visits (I don't recall ever seeing a queue for it), so the CCT may actually play host to more guests.
    It's also 12 feet taller than SBC
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Banned User

Well, SBC is a globally recognized icon for over 50 years and CCT is a white plaster building that 99% of the guests will neither care/understand its purpose nor will buy any merchandise for it. These discussion seems like the scene in Spinal Tap where they are rationalizing why the all-black album is great.

Face it, CCT is as about as magical or interesting as, well, the real CCT.
    Last edited by DisneyDude2011; 12-29-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: ipad thumbtyping issue

• Under that tree again!

I don't like Cinderella's Castle in WDW better than SBC in DL. Even though it's taller and contains a restaurant. I like SBC better because it fits its park better.

CCT appears to be a great fit in DCA and on BVS.

• Ryan

I think it is a beautiful building, but there are beautiful buildings every where. I go to Disneyland to see things I can't see in real life, I go to California Adventure to have an Adventure in a different time period, a different world. If I could go back in time, I don't think that I would admire or make a point to see the Carthay Circle Theater, because It just seems really bland, and I would rather spend time seeing the old piers, some old towns, an old airstrip even, than see this. I love it's design and quality and it really adds to Buena Vista Street, but to be an icon, well, other than it being tall, it's not iconic. I don't think they thought the Carthay Theater was an icon back then, before snow White played there, if you know what I'm saying. But it serves it's purpose as an icon, you can't miss it, it's front and center. But will you remember a theater alone, will it be able to stand by itself? No, I don't think it can like SBC. Just another beautiful building in a beautiful downtown. It's tall, you notice it, but it doesn't have enough to wear it on a t-shirt.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    I think it is a beautiful building, but there are beautiful buildings every where. I go to Disneyland to see things I can't see in real life, I go to California Adventure to have an Adventure in a different time period, a different world. If I could go back in time, I don't think that I would admire or make a point to see the Carthay Circle Theater, because It just seems really bland, and I would rather spend time seeing the old piers, some old towns, an old airstrip even, than see this. I love it's design and quality and it really adds to Buena Vista Street, but to be an icon, well, other than it being tall, it's not iconic. I don't think they thought the Carthay Theater was an icon back then, before snow White played there, if you know what I'm saying. But it serves it's purpose as an icon, you can't miss it, it's front and center. But will you remember a theater alone, will it be able to stand by itself? No, I don't think it can like SBC. Just another beautiful building in a beautiful downtown. It's tall, you notice it, but it doesn't have enough to wear it on a t-shirt.

You're absolutely right. They didn't care much for the Carthay Circle Theatre back in its day or they would have never torn it down and built office buildings in it's place.

But it definitely is an icon for Disney. And having the grand structure rebuilt again is a great way to honor the fact of what it represents to the success of their company.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Am I the only one who thinks it looks kind of... boring so far? It's all flat, white walls! I do hope they add more details to the building!

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks kind of... boring so far? It's all flat, white walls! I do hope they add more details to the building!
    I thought the same thing. Its just ehhh to me at the moment.But I know they have many to add can't wait too see the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    I thought the same thing. Its just ehhh to me at the moment.But I know they have many to add can't wait too see the final product.
    i was gonna say... its a nice epic structure... but its just a big white building... even some color would make it more interesting... the DHS version though lots smaller and less epic in scale looks more interesting.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

It's not complete...

The Carthay is an example of the ever popular Mission Revival style that came out of the early 20th century and this style relies heavily on simplicity of the building with the details coming in the ornamentation. Tile work, tile roofs, wrough iron lights, wood details...all things used commonly in Mission Revival. The Carthay is far from finished. None of the lighting is installed on the building yet, the detailed, wrought iron marque hasn't arrived, the red tile roofs are just beginning installation, and we still can see the bottom level tile work, not to mention the landscaping that breaks up the building.. It's interesting to watch these progress. Believe me with the Carthay you're not at all getting the impression it'll have when it is actually completed. A work in progress. And seeing it in person, much more stunning than in photographs (but I feel this is the case with most any building in Mission Revival, you can't get a real sense of color difference and texture in photographs).

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    The Carthay is an example of the ever popular Mission Revival style that came out of the early 20th century and this style relies heavily on simplicity of the building with the details coming in the ornamentation. Tile work, tile roofs, wrough iron lights, wood details...all things used commonly in Mission Revival. The Carthay is far from finished. None of the lighting is installed on the building yet, the detailed, wrought iron marque hasn't arrived, the red tile roofs are just beginning installation, and we still can see the bottom level tile work, not to mention the landscaping that breaks up the building.. It's interesting to watch these progress
    ^ yes yes yes

To those calling it boring/plain.. have you never seen mission style buildings or something? Please go back and look at the concept art at least.

It's stucco - it's going to be uniform colored walls. Do you think all brick buildings are boring too or something?

Just look at all the different shapes, levels, the variations in the elevation, the paraphets.. this building is quite ornate.

When you mix that in with what the street level will bring and all the details - it will transport you well out of the reality you came from outside the turnstile.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    ^ yes yes yes

To those calling it boring/plain.. have you never seen mission style buildings or something? Please go back and look at the concept art at least.

It's stucco - it's going to be uniform colored walls. Do you think all brick buildings are boring too or something?

Just look at all the different shapes, levels, the variations in the elevation, the paraphets.. this building is quite ornate.

When you mix that in with what the street level will bring and all the details - it will transport you well out of the reality you came from outside the turnstile.
    Look at the model that has been shown here many times - what you see is what you get.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/masteryofmaps/6061176188/lightbox

Now remind me again how that is better then SBC? Wow. Not exactly Tree of Life or Spaceship Earth is it? Poor DCA, it's like it's cursed or something.

Just look at the themeing of the entrance to IOA and tell me again this is magical, or heck, even interesting.

My kids are really clamoring to have their picture taken next to that big white wall!
    Last edited by DisneyDude2011; 12-31-2011 at 09:57 AM.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Well if you were able to stand close enough to the castle.. it would also just look like a wall in the photo.. But if you stand in a decent place you can get the whole tower into the shot of CCT, which would make a pretty awesome, old LA photo I think

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast