Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Carthay Circle Theater Uncovered at Disney California Adventure

If you listen closely...that's the sound of millions of people clamoring for "old LA photos" - maybe next they can build the DMV on Formosa.

This is what makes me sad about WDI - they used to take us to far off jungles, spaceports, mining camps, Mississippi rivers backwoods and now we get this. Just because the park is about CA doesn't mean the park and its environment need to be so completely without imagination, excitement, and yes, fun.

Listening to this rationalization makes me remember back to the spin on DCA 1.0 - oh just wait, the Mondavi restaurant will be themed to a Napa Valley mission style hacienda and guests will feel like they've entered a wine country tasting room...uh, not so much.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursulalvr View Post
    ^possibly more, according to sources, BVS is still behind on construction.
    Claims of it being behind are a bit premature. It's too early to tell whether it's behind or not. It all depends on the weather in the next 6 months. If inclement weather is minimal, it will open closer to June. If there is a lot of inclement weather, it will be closer to July.

Also a factor are the telltale "you might as well's". Those are the ad hoc and unexpected situations that frequently come up in construction, whereby you look at a situation and say "while we're working on this, we 'might as well' do that while we're at it". These things tend to add to a deadline, but for good reason, and with a better outcome. There have been a few of those with BVS construction, albeit minor. Barring any catastrophe, I'm guessing we'll see a last-week-of-June or early-week-of-July opening. That's strictly a layperson's castmember guess.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

This stream of negativity is disturbing. Would everyone just be happy if they built a 2nd Disneyland across from Disneyland? Disney is doing a great job with Buena Vista Street! This is 100% better, and more exciting then DCA 1.0

I personally don't see anything wrong with CCT, and the people who make posts like it is a fact that TDA is doing things wrong and not transporting us somewhere, I'm sorry.. but they most certainly are transporting us somewhere.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    And AP holders.

huh?
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I don't like Cinderella's Castle in WDW better than SBC in DL. Even though it's taller and contains a restaurant. I like SBC better because it fits its park better.

CCT appears to be a great fit in DCA and on BVS.
    My thoughts exactly.

---------- Post added 12-31-2011 at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by YoungImagineer View Post
    I think it is a beautiful building, but there are beautiful buildings every where. I go to Disneyland to see things I can't see in real life
    Then you're in luck, since you can't see the real Carthay Circle in real life.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2011 View Post
    If you listen closely...that's the sound of millions of people clamoring for "old LA photos" - maybe next they can build the DMV on Formosa.

This is what makes me sad about WDI - they used to take us to far off jungles, spaceports, mining camps, Mississippi rivers backwoods and now we get this. Just because the park is about CA doesn't mean the park and its environment need to be so completely without imagination, excitement, and yes, fun.

Listening to this rationalization makes me remember back to the spin on DCA 1.0 - oh just wait, the Mondavi restaurant will be themed to a Napa Valley mission style hacienda and guests will feel like they've entered a wine country tasting room...uh, not so much.

I can see what you're saying, but I think you should give them a little more credit. I can't really think of any LA "landmark" that could be as fitting. I'm kind of excited because the Carthay was one of the most famous theaters of the day, rivaled only by Grauman's Chinese (which already has a home at WDW...) and where Walt actually had his movies premiere. The theater was torn down years ago, so what you might derive from jungles, spaceports, mining camps, etc., you may derive from the illusion of time travel. It may look boring *NOW*, but I think it will look a million times better once it's in context with BVS.

---------- Post added 12-31-2011 at 11:30 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    This stream of negativity is disturbing. Would everyone just be happy if they built a 2nd Disneyland across from Disneyland? Disney is doing a great job with Buena Vista Street! This is 100% better, and more exciting then DCA 1.0

I personally don't see anything wrong with CCT, and the people who make posts like it is a fact that TDA is doing things wrong and not transporting us somewhere, I'm sorry.. but they most certainly are transporting us somewhere.
    Yes, there are bound to be differing opinions on an internet message board.
    Last edited by brenden; 12-31-2011 at 11:49 AM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    It may look boring, but I think it will look a million times better once it's in context with BVS. .

Exhibit A of how far we've fallen.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

I've always seen DCA as the tourist park. I mean, if you're not from California and you're coming out just for DLR, its a great way to "see" all the tourist attractions in CA without going to Santa Monica Pier, Hollywood, Wine Country, etc. As such I think its kinda cool that they're doing a tribute to historical LA. Of course, this is also why I rarely go to DCA, having grown up in SoCal.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDude2011 View Post

Exhibit A of how far we've fallen.
    Not necessarily! If we analyzed every building on it's own when it's still under construction and obscured by walls, I'm sure we could pluck up some other 'boring' examples. The whole thing is still hidden, not finished and surrounded by a park that's also hidden behind walls. Once BVS street is revealed, the theater is finished and we see it in context (maybe all lit up at night with some movie premiere spotlights, a carpet out front, streetcars rolling by...) it won't be so 'boring.'

For instance, if you can imagine a building in New Orleans Square (hmmm...not that far off as spaceports or jungles..) that's half behind scaffolding while the rest of the area is also walled off...yeah I'd bet it's pretty boring, too. When the walls come down, you see the rest of the buildings, you hear the music playing, see the beads hanging from terraces and all the other elemental factors that go into it, it becomes New Orleans Square. Until then, it's just an unfinished set.
    Last edited by brenden; 12-31-2011 at 11:56 AM.

You are obviously passionate about all this DisneyDude...and you seem to know what you're talking about. I like the Carthay though, it's got a lot of subtle beauty. I'm looking forward to BV street being finally complete because I'm a big fan of the architecture and the time period they're trying to re-create.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    I've always seen DCA as the tourist park.
    Which is interesting, because it attracts more repeat locals than it does out-of-towners (and I'm not talking about AP holders) when compared to DL.

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Which is interesting, because it attracts more repeat locals than it does out-of-towners (and I'm not talking about AP holders) when compared to DL.
    That's interesting. I guess if you grew up on the original park, something new might attract you more, but I grew up on the original park, and I think thats why I like it better. Course coming from out-of town, I guess I'd rather see the original park over DCA if I had to choose. Hmmm....

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    That's interesting. I guess if you grew up on the original park, something new might attract you more, but I grew up on the original park, and I think thats why I like it better. Course coming from out-of town, I guess I'd rather see the original park over DCA if I had to choose. Hmmm....
    Like you, I grew up in the original park, and am very nostalgically attached to it. But many Disneyphiles practically treat it as a place of worship (present company excepted, of course), and I simply don't. I was very critical of DCA 1.0 when it opened, but have been very happy with the direction DCA 2.0 has been going in.

• Dream in wonderful color!

There's a moment in the latest Blue Sky Cellar video which shows the model of the Carthay Theatre with a projected video of Snow White on the facade. I don't know if that was an actual test or simply an effect done for the BSC video, but it's an interesting possibility of what could be achieved with the flat surface wall of the exterior.

Similar to it's a small world projections, they could project video/images that show the gala premiere of Snow White and recreate the opening night. Kind of like DCA's "Kiss Goodnight" show.

Here's a still from the BSC video:

- Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by nonob88 View Post
    There's a moment in the latest Blue Sky Cellar video which shows the model of the Carthay Theatre with a projected video of Snow White on the facade. I don't know if that was an actual test or simply an effect done for the BSC video, but it's an interesting possibility of what could be achieved with the flat surface wall of the exterior.

Similar to it's a small world projections, they could project video/images that show the gala premiere of Snow White and recreate the opening night. Kind of like DCA's "Kiss Goodnight" show.
    Very nice insight my friend. Didn't even make that connection myself.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast