Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Lighting Design Lover

Re: Carthay Circle Theater Uncovered at Disney California Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    Any on-stage building is designed to fit into a context. Take any New Orleans Square facade. In and of itself, not necessarily anything to write home about. But in context, quite nice. Heck, for that matter, the Tomorrowland train station isn't much to look at. For that matter, the original Fantasyland rides (pre 1983) had facades that were quite bland, so much so, that they'd be considered an eyesore by today's park guests.
    Agreed!! We can't nit-pick the individual pieces until we have a chance to experience the whole. After all Disneyland is about experiencing a place, time, and atmosphere. A single building (even one as large as SBC or CCT) is still mere set piece for building the larger experience. The music, the people, the smells, the costumes, and activities as well as ALL the set pieces put together are what makes what we finally observe. Walt called his employees Cast members for a reason, because they are part of a show. And anyone who has ever see a play knows that one set piece all by itself is not going to make or break the sum total of all the parts.

...aaany whoooo...does any one think Buena Vista Street could work with a few powered vehicles along with the street cars? Similar to the Main Street Vehicles at Disneyland, they could lend to theming.
    Oh...I'm afraid the deflector shield...will be quite operational...when your friends arrive.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Pezlort View Post
    ...aaany whoooo...does any one think Buena Vista Street could work with a few powered vehicles along with the street cars? Similar to the Main Street Vehicles at Disneyland, they could lend to theming.
    I would expect some 30s era vehicles for the street-mosphere characters like you have with at DHS. The one act comes out on an old pickup truck, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Well, let's hope more will be added to the theater. To be honest, I don't really think the average visitor to DCA is going to look at the Carthay Circle Theater and think that's the icon for the park. Sure, may be a beautiful building when it's finished, but maybe to the average guest, it's just a building. I don't think most people know the significance of the theater. I didn't until I came to Miceage. Heck, I didn't even know the sunburst in DCA 1.0 was supposed to be the weenie of the park. I thought it was Grizzly Peak! You wouldn't really know the Carthay's significance unless you frequent Disney fan sites like Miceage. And you have to realize too, we're such a small population compared to the average guest that visits the Disney resort yearly.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The thoughts regarding the lack of detail are part of a trend I have noticed amongst Disney[land] fans. Ornamentation has somehow become directly correlated to theming, and more theming means a better quality and perception of higher expense. It increasingly limits what can be accepted as "Disney" and probably played a role in the existing history brand being applied to Buena Vista Street. The appropriate styles do not fit with ornate, "Disney" building and salon-style interiors.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    Well, let's hope more will be added to the theater. To be honest, I don't really think the average visitor to DCA is going to look at the Carthay Circle Theater and think that's the icon for the park. Sure, may be a beautiful building when it's finished, but maybe to the average guest, it's just a building. I don't think most people know the significance of the theater. I didn't until I came to Miceage. Heck, I didn't even know the sunburst in DCA 1.0 was supposed to be the weenie of the park. I thought it was Grizzly Peak! You wouldn't really know the Carthay's significance unless you frequent Disney fan sites like Miceage. And you have to realize too, we're such a small population compared to the average guest that visits the Disney resort yearly.
    I sure the CCT will show up more on promotional materials and maps. Just like Grizzly Peak did at one time which apparently effected your perception of DCA.

Plus as mentioned many times in this thread, CCT is receiving more and more details. I'm sure it will be a lot more noticeable as you see the darker area that is hidden by the contruction walls that contrasts with the white walls above, and it's colored up by the tiled roof over the first floor.

Does anyone know how tall the CCT is?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Dream in wonderful color!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Does anyone know how tall the CCT is?

"..the replica in California Adventure is 89 feet, 6-inches tall – about 3/4 the size of the original."

Cupola installation marked in Disney park - Around Disney : The Orange County Register
    - Adventure Is Waiting -

"We're going to take you out of this world of reality for a visit to the most fantastic of all the worlds of fantasy." - Walt Disney

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Can't wait until they light this thing up at night. It's going to look gorgeous!
    I agree, it's going to be beautiful. They're going to be able to do some stunning lighting effects with this building.

I'm personally looking forward to seeing what they do with BVS. I think that it's also nice that they're reviving some of the ghosts of California Past. Los Angeles has such a reputation for tearing down its history, so trying to reproduce some of it is commendable.

As to the significance of Carthay when it was around...a lot of older theaters and other buildings, including ones that were cultural icons, got knocked down in the mid-20th century due to greed, poor preservation and a lack of landmark designation. Just ask the Roxy Theater in NYC, or the Ambassador Hotel, or the Morosco...the fact that it was demolished doesn't mean it wasn't special.
    Last edited by Malina; 12-31-2011 at 09:48 PM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The thoughts regarding the lack of detail are part of a trend I have noticed amongst Disney[land] fans. Ornamentation has somehow become directly correlated to theming, and more theming means a better quality and perception of higher expense. It increasingly limits what can be accepted as "Disney" and probably played a role in the existing history brand being applied to Buena Vista Street. The appropriate styles do not fit with ornate, "Disney" building and salon-style interiors.
    Correct - you see it all too often when people misapply labels because they don't understand the principles they are trying to apply. They try to simply one to one replicate things, vs understanding what went into the result they are trying to duplicate.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pezlort View Post
    Maybe something like open taxi cabs or a delivery "truck". I think that would add a bit of fun and whimsy. WHo knows, maybe they'll consider something like that in the future. It all depends, imo, on how the traffic will flow on BVS/Hollywood Blvd/SUnset Blvd.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234