Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

• is too darn hot.

Re: New Main Street Music Loop to Debut January 9th

The Esplanade needs serious work. Some of the music is from attractions that don't even exist anymore.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
    • Elven Queen of Caffeine

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The Esplanade needs serious work. Some of the music is from attractions that don't even exist anymore.
    Actually I like that feature! It brings back good memories =)

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm almost forgiving of that if the music is good. Old paradise pier never should have been a part of that loop, nor the Imagination Institute (I think you're referring to that one, yes?)

I need to look up the entire playlist and take a closer inspection.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• is too darn hot.

I am referring to the Imagination Institute, yes. It's not bad music. Just way gone from the resort.

Quote Originally Posted by WED View Post
    The whole debate mirrors many that occur on Disney forums: the age-old philosophical battle of whether Disney should be appealing to emotion or appealing to historical recreation.

The historical recreation camp wants authentic turn of the century music on Main Street, period. Lock in some period appropriate music and you're done forever. "It should literally sound like a small-town."
    The emotional connection camp feels the music should evoke strong emotion and nostalgia, and those targets move with time and the cultural zeitgeist. "It should evoke the feelings of a small town."

Ideally it's a balance of the two that we want, but it's always going to be a design decision as to how much to emphasize one vs. the other. Too much either way would be bad. There's a difference between an "old town" (period perfect music that nobody under 50 has any emotional connection to) and the "small town" that Walt was trying to simulate.

Forget "Disneyland is not a museum." The new rallying cry is "Disneyland is not a historical recreation society."
    Very well said. I love some of the historical songs, but "Put on your Sunday Best" from Hello Dolly just shouts 'Let's hurry down the street and have an adventure' which is what Disneyland wants when you arrive in the morning.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I am referring to the Imagination Institute, yes. It's not bad music. Just way gone from the resort.

Found this page:
    Main Entrance Plaza Area Music

Tracks that stand out as "out of place":

-Indiana Jones theme
    -California Girls
    -Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life For Me)
    -I Left My Heart in San Francisco
    -It's a small world
    -Davy Crockett
    -Star Wars theme
    -Honey, I Shrunk the Audience Theme
    -Just One Dream (golden dreams)

There's a few others that are questionable too, like Tiki Room and Fantasmic! I kinda feel that ride music should exist where they are and not in the "main lobby" so to speak. I understand the "overture" aspect they were looking for but it really doesn't work for me in that setting. The Esplanade should be some sort of neutral zone that says "Disney" without really giving away all the fun inside.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I have heard that in the past the Main St music loop for the morning was more peppy music, to get folks excited entering the park and to keep moving forward and then a slower/waltz loop for later in the day to encourage people not to leave, but to stay, shop and eat.

Does Main St. have different loops for different times of day now?

• Banned User

In a little garden called Pixie Hollow at the base of the magestic Matterhorn Mountain

this sounds interesting, i love Main Street's current loop but hearing this guy's music before tells me that i should be looking forward to this new change

I actually like the Esplanade loop. I think its fun, after a long, awesome day to exit the park and hear the Indiana Jones theme or the Fantasmic theme. It brings back the memories you had of that day and makes leaving the park a little happier.

• Closed Account

Bassbone, you ever hear that bass saxophone player in the recordings over at the pier loop? Actually that hole soundtrack is amazing. You know though, the most epic thing that made me smile was hearing Peoplemover music being played in the background at Autopia.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    I have heard that in the past the Main St music loop for the morning was more peppy music, to get folks excited entering the park and to keep moving forward and then a slower/waltz loop for later in the day to encourage people not to leave, but to stay, shop and eat.

Does Main St. have different loops for different times of day now?

That's correct in Disneyland Paris, not at DLR or MK. We have the AM loop and after 4pm, we switch for the PM loop, however almost all tracks are the same. The Front Lot (WDS park) has two different loops as well and change too at 4pm.

Guest Relations & Ticketing Coordinator @ Disneyland Paris
    English is not my mother tongue, I hope you would forgive me for my spelling mistakes.

Disney Park Blog on the new Music Loop...The New Sounds of Main Street, U.S.A., at Disneyland Park Disney Parks Blog

This time around, over a dozen new tunes, arranged and recorded specifically for Main Street, U.S.A., will join many of the existing songs. Included in the new mix are such iconic period pieces as “Meet Me in St. Louis, Louis,” “In the Good Old Summer Time,” “Alexander’s Ragtime Band,” “Oh You Beautiful Doll,” Scott Joplin’s “Maple Leaf Rag,” and a recent tune given a turn-of-the-last-century arrangement, Michael Giacchino’s “Married Life” from Disney•Pixar’s “UP.”

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raidermatt View Post
    The thing with the new info that concerns me is the use of something like "Up". The movie is not a turn of the century period piece and it's far too new for the music to evoke feelings of a period rather than simply "Hey, that's the music from 'Up'".
    That's not quite true. Michael Giacchino (the composer of "Up") expressly wrote the first tracks in the movie to fit into the style of the early 20th century. This is a common composer's tool to evoke a sense of a time gone by. In fact, Giacchino is a genius at stuff like this. He's the next John Williams, IMO.

The issue of "appropriateness" aside, I'm very excited to have Michael Giacchino become a more permanent fixture in Disneyland. Giacchino is today's Mozart, and will be remembered as such by future generations. And he is by far one of my most favorite composers.

---------- Post added 01-07-2012 at 07:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
    Actually, I've always thought that an even more Main Street-sounding piece was the music for the beginning credits:
    That's the track "Up with credits", and I concur. Giacchino wrote it expressly to fit into the period.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    That's not quite true. Michael Giacchino (the composer of "Up") expressly wrote the first tracks in the movie to fit into the style of the early 20th century. This is a common composer's tool to evoke a sense of a time gone by. In fact, Giacchino is a genius at stuff like this. He's the next John Williams, IMO.

The issue of "appropriateness" aside, I'm very excited to have Michael Giacchino become a more permanent fixture in Disneyland. Giacchino is today's Mozart, and will be remembered as such by future generations. And he is by far one of my most favorite composers.

I wouldn't go so far as to call him Mozart, but he is certainly better than John Williams.
    Last edited by BassBone; 01-07-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Moazart is not a word.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Question: Would people be against it if Disney created its own music for Main Street? Music that wasn't featured anywhere else except along Main Street U.S.A.?

I feel like the answer would be "No", even from the Historical Recreation Society. But this would be music produced in the '00s made of the 1900s. Is the problem that outside pieces weren't specifically manufactured for Main Street?

Photo Via jdhilger

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast