Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: New Main Street Music Loop to Debut January 9th

The Happiest Millionaire takes place in Philadelphia in 1916-17, so it's good they are getting rid of the Fortuosity song from the current music loop.

How could a big city song from 1917 relate to a small town in 1905?

Unless that's sarcasm... it's only 12 years.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Senior Minion

Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A. is an idealized reminisce of small town America in the decades around the turn of the century. It is not Universal Studios tour or Disney Hollywood Studios. Movie soundtrack music, no matter the period that the movies reference, has no business as background music for Main Street -- any more than the soundtracks from City Slickers, Blazing Saddles, or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly have any business as background music in Frontierland.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 12-27-2011 at 08:36 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A. is an idealized reminisce of small town America in the decades around the turn of the century. It is not Universal Studios tour or Disney Hollywood Studios. Movie soundtrack music, no matter the period that the movies reference, has no business as background music for Main Street -- any more than the soundtracks from City Slickers, Blazing Saddles, or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly has any business as background music in Frontierland.
    You defeat your own argument there, I think. You mentioned that it is an idealized vision of a small town from the period. Music that sounds like it is from the time period even if it is not strictly from that period is entirely appropriate, as it sets the scene. It puts people in the mindset of the time period. If you want to get truly technical, a small town of that time period would not have music from loudspeakers up and down its Main Street at all.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    After hearing his work on his website, all I can say is:

BRING IT ON!!

(And I mean this in the most positive way- honest! lol)
    I just listened to a few clips on his website, and I like it. I don't know what all the songs will be in the loop, but if they are done to that style and arrangement I'm good with it.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Wiggins. If you don't believe that then you don't believe we should have the current loop. Plus, towns back then didn't have music blaring over speakers like that anyway...

You can take any instrumental piece and make it into a piece of music that sounds like it was from back in the day.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• is too darn hot.

Okay, people are now leaving rude messages on the Facebook event page attacking Mr. Mora. Not the place, folks. Leave off, Dean. He deserves the job.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    So which song are they going to pull from Mary Poppins for this new loop? Should we start taking bets now?
    Spoon Full of Sugar or Chim-Chim-Cheree are my bets

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

Being a Cast Member who has worked on Main Street, I know the general music loop that plays on Main Street too well!

I'm hesitant on the change and I don't really like how his Facebook page calls the current loop "old" and "tired." Sure, Disney could have updated it years ago, but don't critique the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra. The Paragon Ragtime Orchestra is one of the best period-specific bands out there (if not the best), utilizing the original music of Arthur Pryor that conductor Rick Benjamin found. His music feels early 1900s. Not to mention that PRO has released several amazing new CDs, including one based around Scott Joplin, since the current music loop's debut in 1992 (Disney could have easily redone a new music loop with various songs from these CDs.)

Sorry about the rant, but I'm extremely passionate about music and research, and I hope this new one is good.

(The one thing that has really bugged me with the current Main Street loop they have right now is the interruption of "Aviation Rag" to the Hello Dolly suite, replacing Before the Parade Passes By. I still don't know why they did that; it has always sounded forced.)

--

For those of you curious of the Buena Vista Street loop that is currently playing, most of the songs are from Don Neely's Royal Society Band, including the wonderful "The Stampede" from his If I had You Album. They are also playing currently "Toot, Toot, Tootsie!," "Horatio Nicholls' Californian Seremade," and "Ain't Misbehavin" from the Palm Court Theatre Orchestra's Puttin' On The Ritz album. (Another fabulous band, by the way.) A number of both PRO and Palm Court can be heard in the new music loops of Paradise Pier as well, such as "Tell Her At Twilight" and "Yankyana."

---------- Post added 12-27-2011 at 10:35 PM ----------

For those of you curious (I read some of the earlier comments), three musicals play on Main Street, USA, right now: Hello Dolly, Oklahoma!, and The Music Man.

In previous years, the Hello Dolly suite featured "(We've Got) Elegance", "Before the Parade Passes By", and "Put on Your Sunday Clothes." However, in recent years, "Before the Parade Passes By" has been replaced by "Aviation Rag," which like I said earlier, puzzled me.

Oklahoma! suite features "Surrey with a Fringe on Top", "Many a New Day," and "Kansas City."

The Music Man suite has been altered as well. Beforehand, four songs were featured in this order: "Wells Fargo Rag", "Wells Fargo Wagon", "Lyda Rose", and "Iowa Stubborn". However, sadly, "Wells Fargo Rag" has been removed from the loop and "Wells Fargo Wagon" plays directly after the "Winter Garden Rag" by PRO.
    Last edited by Maleficent Fan; 12-27-2011 at 10:36 PM.

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• is too darn hot.

Dean Mora's band is also well known for its devotion for period accuracy.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

I guess we will have to wait and see.

I'm for change, but only if it's good change. I just hope they kept "Smiles."

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I respectfully disagree with Mr. Wiggins. If you don't believe that then you don't believe we should have the current loop.
    I protested the current Main Street BG loop it when it came in, as well as the current Frontierland loop. Both have too many modern movie soundtracks, and both are played much too loudly. (In any event, as has often been pointed out on in this forum, past mistakes of theming are no justification for more mistakes of theming.)

Plus, towns back then didn't have music blaring over speakers like that anyway...
    True -- and totally irrelevant. Towns didn't have air conditioned stores, electronic cash registers or modern communications then, either, but that is not a valid argument in support of movie soundtrack tunes on Main Street. Disneyland's Main Street is not a reproduction of a time and place, it is a romanticized reminisce. An impression of Elsewhere and Elsewhen. Its background music should be a subliminal underscore to the visuals of the buildings, evoking the sensibility of another time and place, not reminders of recent movies.

You can take any instrumental piece and make it into a piece of music that sounds like it was from back in the day.
    Yes you can. But that argument is irrelevant as well -- it could be used to support a 1910-style concert band arrangement of any tune from any time.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Touche
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Future Disney Imagineer

Well, I'm certainly excited by this slight change. The mood will be the same, and I hope they keep a few memorable songs from the old loop too. I think that when I next walk through those turnstiles, I will feel something new, something difficult to pinpoint, but it might boost the interest and positive feeling of the frequent visitors. By the way, I think Elie and Carl's theme from Up will be a great fit in Main Street (if not better in Paradise Pier), and will only bring positive results to the visitors whether they recognize it or not. I hope that they do another behind-the-scenes filming of some of the music in the recording studio, like they've done for The Little Mermaid ride.
    Last edited by Incrediboy; 12-28-2011 at 01:13 AM.

• -

The music on Main Street should really be about supporting the land and setting the stage for the time period. There really is no need to add movie sound tracks to this. All it would appear to be is a way to support whomever happens to be princess of the day at the new Fantasy Faire abomination that they are replacing the gardens with.

One could also rearrange Master of Puppets as a ragtime piece. That doesn't mean that it should be done, nor that it should be played on Main Street.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast