Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: New Main Street Music Loop to Debut January 9th

While they're at it I hope they look at the Esplanade loop! That thing needs some trimming for sure.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• is too darn hot.

Indeed. It still has music from Honey, I Shrunk the Audience.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

I'm hesitant over the new loop, but am looking forward to it at the same time.

The old loop has lots of memories for me - it's the only one I remember, but I'm always happy for some change.

The samples sound good, and as long as most of the classic music is in there, then I'm fine with it - there's a whole new set of memories to associate with the new loop.
    -Monorail Man

• Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The choice of Mora is excellent. I disagree, however, that non-period movie music is appropriate for Main Street. Its theme is turn of the 19th century Americana, not 21st century Disney movies. Couldn't Disney forget its in-your-face synergy and brand marketing just once? Walking down Main Street we already KNOW we're in Disneyland -- the background music should help transport us in imagination to small-town America of 1890-1910, not remind us of the latest Disney and Pixar films.
    I don't see there being any non-period music in the loop. The song from Up could very well fit turn-of-the-century America. The tune is brilliantly beautiful, and to me, more important than when the music was composed is the feel that it evokes. The "Married Life" song is the only "modern" one mentioned at ALL, and in fact, the tone/feel of that song is very much in harmony with the mood that Main St evokes.

Listen to this and tell me it's inappropriate for Disneyland's Main Street. Specifically the portion from 0:00 to until about 1:10 (before it gets "sad")

Last edited by simba; 12-28-2011 at 02:42 AM.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    Dean Mora is an expert on popular music of the early 20th century. I'm not kidding when I say his band is incredible.
    Listened to a few clips on his website and really liked it. Hopefully some of his music does make it into the Main Street music loop.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    The Happiest Millionaire takes place in Philadelphia in 1916-17, so it's good they are getting rid of the Fortuosity song from the current music loop.

How could a big city song from 1917 relate to a small town in 1905?

Hardly any of the music on Main Street is from 1905. Fortuosity is actually from the 1960s. Selections from Oklahoma was written in the 1940s, The Music Man in the 1950s, and Hello Dolly in the 1960s.

So I don't have a problem with non-period songs being played so long as they sound similar in style to 1905 and in so doing conjure up the nostalgia and feelings of that period. The song from Up has that feel when using the proper orchestration, and that was written in the 2000s.

Maleficent Fan wrote: " . . . but don't critique the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra. The Paragon Ragtime Orchestra is one of the best period-specific bands out there (if not the best), utilizing the original music of Arthur Pryor that conductor Rick Benjamin found. His music feels early 1900s."

This! I dearly love the PRO and about fell over when I walked into Disneyland some years ago and heard their music playing on Main Street! It would be tough indeed to find any music more perfectly suited to Main Street, and I sure hope DL keeps at least some PRO selections.

• Banned User

I couldn't even tell you a song off the top of my head that plays there now. The Main Street music helps enhance mood and all, and I like it when I'm there, but it's just background music that I can't specifically recall later. I do think some people take things overboard with this stuff... either the lands are idealized versions of stuff that can be open to interpretation or they are hard recreations of history, so pick one you want to argue. I do love the "past mistakes in theming, yadda yadda yadda" argument that keeps coming up, since a mistake is in the eye of the beholder. Not to mention it basically is considered precedent. Walt played loose with theming whenever it suited him, so when he does it it's "precedent" but if anyone else does it,it's a "theming mistake".

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Okay....I know Disneyland is not a museum, blah, blah, blah...but not sure this is such a great idea. It seems that a majority of us couldn't tell you what songs are played, but am I the only one who heard "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" watching WALL-E and was instantly transported to Main Street? And of all the Oklahoma and Music Man tunes that are currently in the loop, no one recognizes this music? Really?

While I LOVE the score from UP, and especially Ellie's Theme, I would see Carl and balloons rather than Main Street. It mentally would take me OUT of Disneyland rather than keep me in it. The music of Main Street is such a HUGE part of the Disneyland experience for me. I will stop dead in my tracks if the music is off when I come in and instantly begin to wonder what could be going on. It might be a Dapper Dan performance or the band might be playing in Town Square, but if that music loop goes off, the magic disappears pretty quick. I'll have to trust that they will keep enough of the old loop to maintain the same atmosphere, but I'd have to put myself on the side that really doesn't want new music coming in. Whether some of it was from the 1960's or not, I will really miss whatever they take out at this point. If they want to ADD a couple tunes, I think that might be OK. But if they start cutting songs, I'm going to be severely disappointed.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-28-2011 at 10:48 AM.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

@Maleficent Fan - I can not begin to tell you how impressed I am with your knowledge of the music. Well done!

I am a big fan of Dean Mora and his Orchestra and would someday love to visit his Cicada Club in Los Angeles. I am looking forward to this new loop. Yes it will be different at first but it's not as if this is the first change ever.

Also just to throw this out there. There will be a music loop in Radiator Springs and The Billys posted this on their FB page last October:
    "The Hillbillies have been recording in Hollywood this last Wednesday and Thursday, music for the new Carsland, opening up in 2012. This new 'land' will make California Adventure 1/3 bigger and my banjo will be part of the attraction. I think I'll take my RB-4!!!! ~ Billy Banjo"

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    Okay....I know Disneyland is not a museum, blah, blah, blah...but not sure this is such a great idea. It seems that a majority of us couldn't tell you what songs are played, but am I the only one who heard "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" watching WALL-E and was instantly transported to Main Street? And of all the Oklahoma and Music Man tunes that are currently in the loop, no one recognizes this music? Really?

While I LOVE the score from UP, and especially Ellie's Theme, I would see Carl and balloons rather than Main Street. It mentally would take me OUT of Disneyland rather than keep me in it.
    Exactly.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post

While I LOVE the score from UP, and especially Ellie's Theme, I would see Carl and balloons rather than Main Street. It mentally would take me OUT of Disneyland rather than keep me in it. The music of Main Street is such a HUGE part of the Disneyland experience for me. I will stop dead in my tracks if the music is off when I come in and instantly begin to wonder what could be going on. It might be a Dapper Dan performance or the band might be playing in Town Square, but if that music loop goes off, the magic disappears pretty quick. I'll have to trust that they will keep enough of the old loop to maintain the same atmosphere, but I'd have to put myself on the side that really doesn't want new music coming in. Whether some of it was from the 1960's or not, I will really miss whatever they take out at this point. If they want to ADD a couple tunes, I think that might be OK. But if they start cutting songs, I'm going to be severely disappointed.

I feel that way as well. I think the UP music would be great for the Esplanade (especially a section in the End Credits) but Main Street? I LOVE Main Street loop. I have it on my itunes and listen to it when I rather be at Disneyland than at work.

So to everyone, say what you want about "theme" or whatever, this music has been there for quite some time and takes me to Disneyland... no where else. I don't hear "WALL-E" when that bit of Hello Dolly comes on. I hear Disneyland.

Maybe in time, with some getting used to, the new additions will do the same. But we can't say for sure yet.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

So, out of curiosity is CPG and the swing dancing a theming violation, or an acceptable stretching of it, since there was no swing dancing in early 1900's middle america?

• "I don't like the color"

Quote Originally Posted by noleafclover1980 View Post
    So, out of curiosity is CPG and the swing dancing a theming violation, or an acceptable stretching of it, since there was no swing dancing in early 1900's middle america?
    I would say an acceptable stretching. Keep in mind the swing dancing is only on some weekends and a few hours during that time, not playing on a continual loop.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Closed Account

What would be the real problem with the Main Street loop playing a selction of actual, period 1890-1910 music? There are plenty of actual, period details on Main Street...why couldn't the music be one of them?

There are sevel posters here, notably Bass-bone, with much knowledge of music and musical history. I would think they, of all people, would appreciate and enjoy hearing period music, professionally played.

For those who can't even recall the music on the current loop, period music wouldn't be any different. And for those, like myself who aren't musically-inclined, but who enjoy history--and in particular the era Main Street represents--it would be a very enlightening experience, while at the same time enhancining theme.

It certainly wouldn't detract from theme...so, why not just go whole hog and play the music actually appropriate to the period (some of which Walt Disney himself may have heard)?

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast