Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

After seeing these videos of last years NYE...

I was just wondering, from those that were at the DLR last NYE, what did you like and not like about where you were at the stroke of midnight?? I'm toying with the idea of heading up and wondering which area to be in.

Sleeping Beauty's Castle looked like a more classic show, but I heard it was a really chaotic wait. I love electronica, but Paradise Bay looked amazing. Was there anything else going on (perhaps at the Rivers of America or It's A Small World Holiday) for NYE? What what everyone's take on where they were?? Will fireworks even go this year????????

Electronica Fireworks start at about 3:10:
    Disney California Adventure's Electronica NYE 2010 countdown to 2011 - YouTube

Paradise Bay WoC:
    Disney California Adventure New Years Eve Countdown 2010/20 - YouTube

Disneyland Sleeping Beauty's Castle:
    New Years 2011 at Disneyland - YouTube

Re: After seeing these videos of last years NYE...

I have been at Disneyland for the last 12 New Years, including the last 8+ directly in front of the castle waiting all day long. It is more of a classic show vs other offerings. For a really good spot, it takes a lot of time and it gets crazy there and people coming up last min trying to squeeze in where there is no room because they want a spot to see the show too and there is only 5 mins left and where else can they find a spot....

I have been there when they have canceled Fireworks and its a let down. The plus side of waiting here when they have fireworks is you get to see the Parade twice and two different firework shows in one night.

Plus this is the main stage for anything big. In previous years, they have had the Ambassadors there and transfer the title if needed. Also, if there is going to be a Big Special Announcement, this is where it will be.

oh man! paradise bay's ringing in of the new year looked amazing from that video alone! makes me really consider going to DCA for the countdown. but it really won't be the same without fireworks (if the DLR isn't able to pull off getting the fireworks setup in time)... hmmm, decisions, decisions...

last year, my friends and i hung out in the esplanade (because two of my friends didn't have a pass, so we didn't go into the parks. it was kinda cool, because you could see the fireworks from both disneyland and DCA, so we kept turning our heads back and forth to see them. ended up being pretty cool, although i'm sure it's nothing compared to actually being in the parks. but at the same time, we were able to get to downtown disney and find a spot around 11PM instead of having to wait all day.

not quite sure what will ultimately happen this year, but i'm hoping i get the NYE experience in-park eventually.

Cool. Thanks for the stories. I got to experience NYE at DL about 5 years ago. It rained up until 6pm then cleared up. DL was oddly empty, but it made for a great evening at the park because everyone made alternate plans. There wasn't a bad seat in the house for the fireworks.

Anyone kno how much the blackout tickets for annualpassholders are selling for now? Friend has a southern California pass so heirs blocked new years eve and was wondering if it would make sense to get the pass then at the end of the night upgrade to the next pass by paying the difference. He got his pass on October first for his first visit in 30 years and his birthday after having a great time that day

Last NYE.. Paradise Pier/First WoC of the Year/Fireworks show >>>>> everything else by a long shot. I would even spend this NYE there if I was going again no question about it.

• Pixie B

I think Disneyland is the better place to be, Main Stree is like Times Square

• MaliBOOMer

Paradise Pier is the place to be.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• I'm wishing

Is there a way to get the WOC midnight viewing without having every person in your party there in the morning?

I am available to go in the morning, but my friends won't come until the afternoon. We have celebrated the New Year in Disneyland about 4 of the last 6 years, and I was thinking of making a change to DCA this year...but if we can't be at Paradise Pier at midnight, it wouldn't be worth it. Thoughts/ideas? Do they sell the box lunch for the midnight show??
    Last edited by JulieMouse; 12-30-2011 at 10:59 PM. Reason: error

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by JulieMouse View Post
    Is there a way to get the WOC midnight viewing without having every person in your party there in the morning?

I am available to go in the morning, but my friends won't come until the afternoon. We have celebrated the New Year in Disneyland about 4 of the last 6 years, and I was thinking of making a change to DCA this year...but if we can't be at Paradise Pier at midnight, it wouldn't be worth it. Thoughts/ideas? Do they sell the box lunch for the midnight show??
    Well if your friends don't come until the PM (afternoon) they risk not being able to even get in the park.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• Banned User

Yep Disneyland will fill to capacity about 11 am and DCA around 1pm

• Sock Puppet

so julie, the answer is no. because everyone has to have the ticket scanned at turnstile gates in order to get the woc fast pass.

JulieMouse, this may be a little late, but the only way of seeing WoC without a ticket in the viewing area is to try and get a spot in the "stand-by area in front of Ariel's Undersea Adventure". This area is first come, first served and does not require a WoC ticket and is the same as waiting for a parade or the DL fireworks.

Normally, they allow guests that were unable to get a fastpass for the show to stand in the area directly in front of the ride and watch the show. HOWEVER, I don't know how they will handle this with the park being at capacity or if they will even allow it. But, if they do allow people in this stand-by area, you will need to ask how they will go about it: when will you be allowed to stake your spot, where will you be allowed to stand, who can be there, etc.

Being NYE and so crowded I can not stress enough to ASK QUESTIONS and ASK DIFFERENT CMs THE SAME QUESTION. This will help you know how to go about your day.

• DLR Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonAppleDear View Post
    Yep Disneyland will fill to capacity about 11 am and DCA around 1pm
    Just a heads up. I'm at the DL Hotel complex right now. AFAIK, DLP is at capacity, and DCA should be hitting capacity soon. I suspect that they will be doing a hard turnstile close soon. In other words, they won't let you in past a certain time, even if you were in the park earlier and are returning.

My advaice is, if you're in the park now, don't leave. If you really want to be on property on NYE, feel free to join me. I'll be with my wife and oldest child at the Hearthstone Lounge ringing in the new year with a white wine in hand

---------- Post added 12-31-2011 at 02:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by JulieMouse View Post
    The answer is the same in English, Spanish, and French. No, no, and no.

• I'm wishing

Thanks for the answers all...especially the idea about the area right in front of Little Mermaid, I may consider that next year if my friends can't get there early in the day again.

We ended up going a little later this year than we usually do, but still got in to Disneyland just fine. I got there at 6:20pm and walked right in. One friend got there at 6:30 and they were just closing the turnstiles, but she only had to wait a few minutes and they let her in.

Then another friend got there at 9:30pm, and they were announcing on the tram that Disneyland was at capacity, but we texted her to try anyway, because we had a place to watch fireworks at the castle (about 1/3 of the way around the hub on Tomorrowland side), so she went to the turnstiles and they didn't even say anything about needing a hand stamp or anything else!

Now, I wouldn't recommend getting there that late and expecting to get in, but the closures are usually only for a little while, and we've never had a problem getting there between 4pm and 5pm on NYE in the past several years of going to Disneyland.

Side note: There were some MAJOR crowd control issues, especially after the midnight fireworks...I don't mind having to move like snails en masse toward a way out of the hub, or even not being able to move for a few moments, but it became a bit dangerous a couple times. We were so tight in there and people kept pushing and there was no where to go, but into other people. We could hear some CM's shouting that everyone needed to go "this way" but they were at the sidewalk area, while we were trying to get out of the hub and into tomorrowland and you could not tell who they were talking to...it didn't seem like anyone was directing all of us.... I actually had two experiences that were the worst I have ever had there (and I have been there a lot of busy days)!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast