Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

• Loves Disney

Post Matterhorn Construction Discussion (Merged)

Just wanted to give a reminder to everyone that Matterhorn closes this Sunday for its overhaul and new sleds. I talked to a cast member while in line at the split for tomorrow land side and fantasy land side and he was telling me he doesn't like the fact that supposedly the new bobsleds have little to no padding for the bottoms and they use the type of seat belts like indy and most of the other rides with the pull belt, click in, and pull yellow safety tab. Hopefully he was wrong and there is padding. I did my farewell to the old sleds and rode both sides today.
    Last edited by DisneyLoon; 01-09-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Re: *Reminder about Matterhorn closure*

if padding gets cut we should all start complaining once the ride reopens really cutting padding would be a stupid thing to do but then again modern Disney likes to imagine their guests have incredibly tiny legs when designing legroom for rides like Pooh so who knows. How's the rumors going for that repaint or effect upgrade or whatever? Is anything like that still happening? or is it just the trains now?
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Insomniac

From pictures Ive seen the CM is probably correct they look like hard plastic. Not much give there. Maybe the refurb will smooth the ride slightly so it's not as painful but they don't look like they will be the most comfortable ride.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Loves Disney

You know what jspider the only big info I got was just about the new sleds the cast member I talked to said he has to not tell me everything. He jokingly said it be nice and more of a surprise for us to notice the changes and what other way for matterhorn to compete with carlands opening which made my gf and I laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    From pictures Ive seen the CM is probably correct they look like hard plastic. Not much give there. Maybe the refurb will smooth the ride slightly so it's not as painful but they don't look like they will be the most comfortable ride.
    I bet it will get much smoother. I believe the current track was built before CAD software so there must be a bunch of imperfections in the design. I think this is why Space mountain got a lot smoother when the track was replaced because they must have used CAD to update the track. Hopefully they do the same for the matterhorn.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLoon View Post
    You know what jspider the only big info I got was just about the new sleds the cast member I talked to said he has to not tell me everything. He jokingly said it be nice and more of a surprise for us to notice the changes and what other way for matterhorn to compete with carlands opening which made my gf and I laugh.
    yeah I'm mostly only hearing sleds too but if there is more it'd be neat. Doesn't need to compete with Carsland but just some small details like the changes made to the Jungle Cruise during the 50th or the projections added to Snow White, something that keeps things fresh I think.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• I won't grow up!

With such a long refurb I am hoping the add at least a little something extra. It seems like they are trying to use the Matterhorn refurb to draw some of the crowds away from Cars Land opening, I don't think thats going to work at all, but maybe if they come up with something new it might (just a bit anyway)

Working daily to infect my two little princesses with Disney obsession

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

The Matterhorn has never been a comfortable ride, regardless of there being padding or not. Maybe they're just trying to stay true to its feel? Haha.

Photo Via jdhilger

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

What are the chance that if the seats truly are sans-padding, and enough people complain about the ride being painful, that Disney will do something to actually fix the problem? If the ride really is uncomfortable (or worse) with unpadded seats, wouldn't they notice this in advance and do something to correct it before the ride re-opens?
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Blew By You

At least, it's getting plenty of TLC. She's definitely old and requires constant care. This may sound treasonist but maybe it ought to be pulled down and rebuilt to give it a smoother ride. Or maybe the rough ride was a built in sensation, just like how a bodsled ride ought to feel. It's good though that Walt didn't give us a luge attraction; that would have been quite forboding.

They really need to do something to fix the jerkiness/ turbulence in the ride. Last visit I slammed so hard back down into the seat I bruised my tail bone and it ended my trip cause I couldn't walk much after.

• Loves Disney

My gf would agree with you all. Every time I mention or suggest riding Matterhorn I see her eyes roll and the look of "oh boy bring on the pain" lol. Grant it I showed her the trick of taking a sweater and wrapping it around her waist to add a extra layer of padding. What I am hoping for is the track to be smoother and the Yettie to be hopefully new with movement of it at least swiping and leaning at you as you go by.
    I also did some google snooping and found these images online
    Picture of the seat and seatbeat of the sleds. By the looks I don't see padding

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...DOsM83y23FBXxa

Blue Sled

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...x2pqydn5AG0kH3

Red Sled

http://www.insidethemagic.net/wp-con...matterhorn.jpg
    Last edited by dland_lover; 01-04-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Removed hotlinked photos, per MiceChat policy.

Has anyone here ridden the actual bobsled ride down the real Matterhorn?! It is not comfortable!

• Dave

Blog Entries

well if my bottom does not have padding for a 3 minute ride I don't think I shall ever ride it again

---------- Post added 01-04-2012 at 11:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    At least, it's getting plenty of TLC. She's definitely old and requires constant care. This may sound treasonist but maybe it ought to be pulled down and rebuilt to give it a smoother ride. Or maybe the rough ride was a built in sensation, just like how a bodsled ride ought to feel. It's good though that Walt didn't give us a luge attraction; that would have been quite forboding.
    I think all the old tracks have been replaced in the last closure. so I think by the time they are done it will be almost new,
    Dave

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

A couple potential positives, with the new sleds, that I want to point out:

1) With the high-back seats, the bobsled should no longer give chiropractic adjustments if/when they lurch forward. (I had that happen, and it was rather surprising how much 'adjustment' I felt.)

2) The issue with butt/back pain may be somewhat mitigated since riders will now be seated in bucket seats, which encompass then entire backside, rather than straddling a bench which directed most of the force of any bumps up into the tailbone and immediately surrounding area.
    Last edited by BiggestDisneyFan; 01-04-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Still working on spelling correctly and typing at the same time.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast