Page 18 of 95 FirstFirst ... 815161718192021284368 ... LastLast

Re: When Will It Be Busy At Disneyland - 2012 Edition

We are thinking of going for two days at the end of the summer, on the way to visit family. We would either be going the last week of August, or the week before, on a weekday most likely. Which week would you recommend?

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

I'd say the last week in August...the later in the month the more likely it is that the kiddies are back in school thus fewer crowds. Either week you go you'll have more AP holders because thats when they finally get to go back to DLR after a long summer of blockout dates, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Can anyone tell me what to expect crowdwise Sept. 25- Oct. 5, 2012? Can you give me a # on a scale of 1-10, 10 being packed like sardines crowded? Also, how do the trick or treat parties compare to summertime crowds. Are they similar? I just want to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks!

• Elven Queen of Caffeine

From TouringPlans.com:

Tue, September 25, 2012 2 out of 10 1.1 3.9
    Wed, September 26, 2012 2 out of 10 1.1 3.4
    Thu, September 27, 2012 2 out of 10 1.1 3.5
    Fri, September 28, 2012 3 out of 10 1.5 5.5
    Sat, September 29, 2012 7 out of 10 5.9 6.0 SC SL
    Sun, September 30, 2012 5 out of 10 4.0 6.1 SL
    DATE RESORT DISNEYLAND DCA AP BLOCKOUTS NOTES
    Mon, October 1, 2012 1 out of 10 1.1 2.6
    Tue, October 2, 2012 1 out of 10 1.1 2.5
    Wed, October 3, 2012 2 out of 10 1.1 2.5
    Thu, October 4, 2012 4 out of 10 4.0 2.9
    Fri, October 5, 2012 5 out of 10 2.7 8.1

And the Halloween parties are crowded (particularly the lines for trick-or-treating and character meets) but I wouldn't put it on the level of summer crowds. Maybe thats just me though because its not 100 degrees so it doesn't feel as crowded. The ride queues are not that bad from what I remember. Plus its great fun to see everyone dressed in costume!

Thank you!!! Exactly what i needed. Thank you so much!
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNimrodelle View Post
    From TouringPlans.com:

Tue, September 25, 2012 2 out of 10 1.1 3.9
    Wed, September 26, 2012 2 out of 10 1.1 3.4
    Thu, September 27, 2012 2 out of 10 1.1 3.5
    Fri, September 28, 2012 3 out of 10 1.5 5.5
    Sat, September 29, 2012 7 out of 10 5.9 6.0 SC SL
    Sun, September 30, 2012 5 out of 10 4.0 6.1 SL
    DATE RESORT DISNEYLAND DCA AP BLOCKOUTS NOTES
    Mon, October 1, 2012 1 out of 10 1.1 2.6
    Tue, October 2, 2012 1 out of 10 1.1 2.5
    Wed, October 3, 2012 2 out of 10 1.1 2.5
    Thu, October 4, 2012 4 out of 10 4.0 2.9
    Fri, October 5, 2012 5 out of 10 2.7 8.1

And the Halloween parties are crowded (particularly the lines for trick-or-treating and character meets) but I wouldn't put it on the level of summer crowds. Maybe thats just me though because its not 100 degrees so it doesn't feel as crowded. The ride queues are not that bad from what I remember. Plus its great fun to see everyone dressed in costume!

• Wouldjyeh

This is literally a life saver. My friends and I have used all of the information and haven't hit a very popular day in the 20+ times we've gone this year!

"For with each dawn, she found new hope that someday, her dreams of happiness would come true."

Any tips for 4th of July week? We will be in LA to visit relatives and are considering going a little bit earlier to visit DLR. Our dates would probably be 6/30, 7/1, and 7/2. We would try to activate a DAP voucher on 6/30 (DAP blackout day) and would stay at the Carousel. We have two DDs (8yo and 5yo) who love princesses. Are we crazy to think about going that week?

Also, we are booked on the Nov. 11-18 Disney cruise out of LA and were thinking about a pre- and post-cruise visit to DLR. Pre-cruise would be Nov 8-10, and post-cruise would be Nov 18-20 (could go longer after the cruise, but does DLR get busier as it gets closer to Thanksgiving or is the whole Thanksgiving week chaos)? We would love to see the holiday decorations at DLR. I'm worried that they won't be up yet during our pre-cruise trip.

All thoughts are appreciated. If we go in both July and November, we will buy DAP vouchers (if still available at the old price). If we go in just November, we will buy 6-day PH (if still available). I know the tickets will not be available much longer, so I am feeling pressure to decide soon! Thanks for your help!

• Under that tree again!

Did you get the Micechat rate for your Carousel reservation? If not I would call and ask them to change it to the MC rate.

It's going to be very busy on the 30th-2nd. Crazy no, but bad yes. Plan well to use FP to its max. For Princesses skip the Fantasy Faire, go to Ariels for a Princess meal, Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, or try to catch them on the side routes around the Castle. Get up early to enjoy the quieter morning hours, take midday naps/rests, then go back for the evening and try to shut down the park. The special 4th of July fireworks, Disney's Celebrate America, a Concert in the Sky, start on Sunday the 1st. You will be lucky to get to see two different firework shows in the same trip.

For Novemer it's a really hard choice to make.

The early dates have only a slight chance to be in the Holiday Season. You will see decorations, they start going up in October. Crowds will be low, though big on Friday night and Saturday as all weekends are. You may miss the Holiday Season in full operation. This may mean no fireworks at all, no Christmas Parade, no Castle Lighting, no special WoC or MMY, Small World closed and no meeting Santa.

The late dates will be the holidays. But very busy, worse than your July dates.

Crowds or decorations?

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Did you get the Micechat rate for your Carousel reservation? If not I would call and ask them to change it to the MC rate.
    Yup--we're really happy about the lower rate and the free parking! Have you stayed at the Carousel? Is it nice? I've seen some mixed reviews and keep wondering if I should upgrade to the concierge level, but I've read that those rooms are at the back of the hotel, and we'd like to be closer to Harbor and DLR!

It's going to be very busy on the 30th-2nd. Crazy no, but bad yes. Plan well to use FP to its max. For Princesses skip the Fantasy Faire, go to Ariels for a Princess meal, Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, or try to catch them on the side routes around the Castle. Get up early to enjoy the quieter morning hours, take midday naps/rests, then go back for the evening and try to shut down the park. The special 4th of July fireworks, Disney's Celebrate America, a Concert in the Sky, start on Sunday the 1st. You will be lucky to get to see two different firework shows in the same trip.
    Thanks so much for your input! We were leaning towards skipping the July trip, but you're making me think that it would be worth it to go for the extra entertainment as long as we get in early, go back to the Carousel to rest mid-day, and then stay up late. DDs are night owls anyway...

Would the crowds be significantly better if we went to DLR the early part of the week after 4th of July?

For November it's a really hard choice to make.

The early dates have only a slight chance to be in the Holiday Season. You will see decorations, they start going up in October. Crowds will be low, though big on Friday night and Saturday as all weekends are. You may miss the Holiday Season in full operation. This may mean no fireworks at all, no Christmas Parade, no Castle Lighting, no special WoC or MMY, Small World closed and no meeting Santa.

The late dates will be the holidays. But very busy, worse than your July dates.

Crowds or decorations?
    Do you think it would be worth it to go both the early and later dates in November? I'm thinking that we could focus on rides on 11/8 and 11/9 am and then just enjoy the atmosphere 11/9 pm and 11/10. At the beginning of the Thanksgiving week, we could enjoy the holiday overlays and Small World, Christmas parade, etc.

---------- Post added 06-01-2012 at 08:42 AM ----------

Here's another question. Will the crowds be the same on Sat 6/30 (DAP blockout date) and Sun (7/1)? Originally, we were thinking about driving to DLR on Friday 6/29 and activating DAPs on Sat 6/30. But we wouldn't be able to leave until late afternoon on Friday, and I'm worried about traffic. I think it would be easier to drive down on 6/30 and just enjoy nighttime entertainment after we check in--maybe we should buy a WOC picnic package? But if the crowds will be significantly better on Sat 6/30, then maybe we will bite the bullet and fight the traffic on 6/29.
    Last edited by summertime; 06-01-2012 at 07:42 AM.

We are going to DLR for three days the week before the grand opening (6/12-6/14). We expect it to be busy and we are aware of Grad Nites, but we will get there early and have a solid touring plan worked up, so no worries. I was wondering your thoughts on the DL crowd on 6/14. Since DCA will be closed will that deter tourists at all from using a park hopper day on just one park or keep locals away as they await the grand opening? Or since there will be just one park open, should we expect it to be packed all day? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by AstateEditor View Post
    We are going to DLR for three days the week before the grand opening (6/12-6/14). We expect it to be busy and we are aware of Grad Nites, but we will get there early and have a solid touring plan worked up, so no worries. I was wondering your thoughts on the DL crowd on 6/14. Since DCA will be closed will that deter tourists at all from using a park hopper day on just one park or keep locals away as they await the grand opening? Or since there will be just one park open, should we expect it to be packed all day? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
    It's going to be very busy. I suspect Grads now are going to be a big part of the whole day's crowds since many are graduating and thier event is no longer control by school schedules. No need to be leaving at 3 or 4pm after class end.

The problem is not so much that thier number is huge, it's that they are drawn to the E Ticket attractions. They don't make Main Street terribly busy, the Carousel or Autopia they could care less about. They make the lines for ToT, Space Mountain and California Screamin extra long. Don't go expecting it to be shoulder to shoulder crowded, but do expect the exciting attractions to have bad lines.

The 14th will be very crowded, you will most likely see a couple very upset people who didn't know DCA was scheduled to be closed.

Talk to CMs near the Matterhorn you may be able to catch it soft opened during your visit.

Quote Originally Posted by summertime View Post
    Yup--we're really happy about the lower rate and the free parking! Have you stayed at the Carousel? Is it nice? I've seen some mixed reviews and keep wondering if I should upgrade to the concierge level, but I've read that those rooms are at the back of the hotel, and we'd like to be closer to Harbor and DLR!

Thanks so much for your input! We were leaning towards skipping the July trip, but you're making me think that it would be worth it to go for the extra entertainment as long as we get in early, go back to the Carousel to rest mid-day, and then stay up late. DDs are night owls anyway...

Would the crowds be significantly better if we went to DLR the early part of the week after 4th of July?

Do you think it would be worth it to go both the early and later dates in November? I'm thinking that we could focus on rides on 11/8 and 11/9 am and then just enjoy the atmosphere 11/9 pm and 11/10. At the beginning of the Thanksgiving week, we could enjoy the holiday overlays and Small World, Christmas parade, etc.

---------- Post added 06-01-2012 at 08:42 AM ----------

Here's another question. Will the crowds be the same on Sat 6/30 (DAP blockout date) and Sun (7/1)? Originally, we were thinking about driving to DLR on Friday 6/29 and activating DAPs on Sat 6/30. But we wouldn't be able to leave until late afternoon on Friday, and I'm worried about traffic. I think it would be easier to drive down on 6/30 and just enjoy nighttime entertainment after we check in--maybe we should buy a WOC picnic package? But if the crowds will be significantly better on Sat 6/30, then maybe we will bite the bullet and fight the traffic on 6/29.
    Opnions vary. I find the Carousel to be nice in comparison to it's neighbor hotels. Is it as nice as a hilton? No, don't go in with that expectation which leads to a lot of negative remarks. I have not stayed in the concierge rooms, though have heard that they are not much better than the other rooms for the cost. I would not worry about staying toward the back of the hotel, really the closest and furthest rooms are only about a minute apart. I would take advantage of the free valet parking, when it busy the parking is tight and some cars may not be able to park at the hotel. It's free with the MC rates so take advantage.

Summer at DLR, warm nights, special fireworks and decorations. I wouldn't skip it just because it will be crowded. Just work your days around the crowds. When you have kids your have less choice of when to visit and I enjoy taking my niece and soon to be school age nephew win the Summer when they can go.

The crowds won't be much better the week after the 4th a little but not a lot. If you can don't go over the weekend, it's obviously better than on weekdays. That would make a differece. Still use the early up, midday nap and late to bed strategy. Arriving late and doing a WoC picnic can be nice, it helps plan your evening when you didn't have to the day to gather FPs.

Going in Novemer before and after the cruise would work great. The crowds will be worse after the cruise so make sure you pack in the attractions before and leave the leisurely activities for after.

So I know it will be crowded but we are trying to get in one last visit before our AP's expire.
    We are looking at either:
    6/17-6/21
    or
    6/24-6/28
    I am guessing that they will both be equally crowded?
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by poohnpiglet View Post
    So I know it will be crowded but we are trying to get in one last visit before our AP's expire.
    We are looking at either:
    6/17-6/21
    or
    6/24-6/28
    I am guessing that they will both be equally crowded?
    Basically the same. The Sunday starts crazy with SoCal APs.

It's a little risky but the earlier dates may work out better. The 19th and 21st are Grad Nites and that may be reason to avoid that week. However with SoCal APs blocked on the 19th-21st that may be reason to go. The 20th is going to be the best day of all, no Grads no APs.

Opnions vary. I find the Carousel to be nice in comparison to it's neighbor hotels. Is it as nice as a hilton? No, don't go in with that expectation which leads to a lot of negative remarks. I have not stayed in the concierge rooms, though have heard that they are not much better than the other rooms for the cost. I would not worry about staying toward the back of the hotel, really the closest and furthest rooms are only about a minute apart. I would take advantage of the free valet parking, when it busy the parking is tight and some cars may not be able to park at the hotel. It's free with the MC rates so take advantage.

Summer at DLR, warm nights, special fireworks and decorations. I wouldn't skip it just because it will be crowded. Just work your days around the crowds. When you have kids your have less choice of when to visit and I enjoy taking my niece and soon to be school age nephew win the Summer when they can go.

The crowds won't be much better the week after the 4th a little but not a lot. If you can don't go over the weekend, it's obviously better than on weekdays. That would make a differece. Still use the early up, midday nap and late to bed strategy. Arriving late and doing a WoC picnic can be nice, it helps plan your evening when you didn't have to the day to gather FPs.

Going in November before and after the cruise would work great. The crowds will be worse after the cruise so make sure you pack in the attractions before and leave the leisurely activities for after.
    Thanks so much for your help, swampymarsh! We decided to go ahead and plan our visits and be prepared for the crowds

Hey! Quick question. So I know that DCA opens June 15th and that'll be a pretty crazy day. But how busy will June 17th and 18th be at both parks? Will some of the crowd have died down by Sunday and Monday, or will it still be pretty insane?

Thanks!