Page 22 of 107 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425324772 ... LastLast

Re: When Will It Be Busy At Disneyland - 2012 Edition

For some unknown reason, my family thinks that Saturday, July 7th is the best day to check out the new DCA stuff and wander around Disneyland. Now I know that it's going to be ridiculous, but how ridiculous are we talking here?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by SavannaQueen View Post
    For some unknown reason, my family thinks that Saturday, July 7th is the best day to check out the new DCA stuff and wander around Disneyland. Now I know that it's going to be ridiculous, but how ridiculous are we talking here?
    Assuming you use FP for everything that offers it, you will spend over 45 minutes on Mickey's Fun Wheel and as much as 60 minutes for TSMM. Luigis will probably be around 2 hours long. Matterhorn around an hour like the subs. Even PoTC and HM may be around 30 minutes. Not much with an under 20 minute wait.

Can you get them to go on Sunday? It's nicer if you can stay until closing because people head out after fireworks to get home.

Disney typically lets the public know about future refurbishments about 6 weeks before the rides close, right?

We're planning a trip for the third week of September, currently, but we haven't committed to any dates because it sounds like quite a few rides' refurbishment statuses are still up in the air.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Santoanderson View Post
    Disney typically lets the public know about future refurbishments about 6 weeks before the rides close, right?
    6 weeks out it's usually well known and posted on www.disneyland.com on thier calendar. A couple months out disney shares this with travel agents and others though that far out the particulars can often change. This means we should soon get a hint of what is planned for the Fall beyond the rumors.

I am going to sound really pathetic here...

So we went the week of New Year's this year for 7 days (first day on New Year's Eve) and it was AWFUL. My friends had told me that, though New Years is bad, the days after it is great. We thought that way we could see the decorations and still not get mobbed. Boy were we wrong.

There was over an hour wait for Pirates and over a 45 minute wait for small world. Part of it is the fact we are novices to DLR, the other problem is that we have three young kids under the age of 7. Neither my wife nor I handle crowds really well, but we generally do not want to go when everything is closed down either.

In any case, I ended up buying AP so we could come back later in the year. I had such a horrible time the first time that I have been putting it off, but my kids have been begging me, so hear it goes.

Is there a time we can go to DL between now and the beginning of January and see either part of Christmastime or part of Halloween while still having low crowds? Is that even possible?

We were thinking of the following dates. Let us know if these sound good and/or if there are other dates we should consider.

Here are the weeks we are thinking of. Any insight on these weeks would be helpful.

Week of November 26 through December 2 -- I have heard that this is generally a good time to go. Nonetheless, I have a friend that goes a lot to DL and told me that this week has been MOBBED in recent years. He said that this used to be a great week, but everyone has now caught on to the "secret." Is that true? If there is even a chance of repeating our January trip again then I would avoid this week like the plague, let me know.

Week of October 27th through November 4 -- I have never been to DL over Halloween and have no clue how crowded it gets both on Halloween and the days before and after it. The Halloween party looks cool, but that is what has me worried. If we did go over halloween week, would it be crazy to go to the party halloween night? I also heard there might be some ride closures in October. My daughter's favorite ride is the the thunder mountain train. Is this one closed in October?

Week of November 3 through November 11 -- Assuming Halloween is bad, I have heard this other week is a transition period between Halloween and Christmas, but have no clue what that means other than the crowds are low? I assume there are ride closures? I like the sound of "low crowds," but what are we really missing out on? On that note, if we went the 30th of October to the 7th of November, would it be better? Or, would I just be repeating January all over again (i.e., starting the trip with a couple of days on a holiday and then staying the remainder of the week after)? How crowded is it around the 31st of October? Is it silly to go the end of October? Should I be looking at the 20th through the 28th of October instead?

Are all of these bad times to go? Would mid to late September be better for crowds? If we went the last week of September when the Halloween decorations are up and there is one halloween party on that Friday, is that a good week to go to beat the crowds?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am beyond cluless at this point. Really I just would like to avoid a sitution where I can't even ride small world without waiting in line for 45 minutes (and then having it breakdown) or standing in line over 2 hours for the star wars ride.

Indeed, I love the fact that Disney caters to families and told my wife I would give it another shot this year, but I am a little paranoid that we might be done with disneyland if we can't figure this out better.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

A Desperate Dad

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SteedLaw View Post
    Would mid to late September be better for crowds? If we went the last week of September when the Halloween decorations are up and there is one halloween party on that Friday, is that a good week to go to beat the crowds?
    This will be when I am going... I usually go in the Jan-Mar winter months, but I delayed it for a number of reasons, one of which is that I could not go to DLR again with so many construction walls up.

Since I am unfamiliar w/ DLR during the fall/H'weentime, I did tons of research. We are talking months of looking online, a few calls, some PM's and emails, a few pulled hairs outta the top on my head trying to line things up... lol... and I found that the last two weeks in Sept have a very short "off season". This may change now that H'weentime is extended into mid-Sept, but not by much.

Several touring sites and travel sites marked the DLR capacity at less than 3/10 for DCA and less than 2/10 for DL. If you go during the last week, you can catch the first event for H'weentime on Sept 28th. This will most likely be your busiest day (as it will be mine too)! But I figure that I will have my fill of the resort and I will top it off with something I have never seen.

In my near-professional opinion, by all means, pick this last week. If I have given you bad advice, two things will occur...
    1) I will have a bad/over crowded time at the parks!!!
    2) someone will correct me before you book those dates and point out other dates you mentioned as being better!!!

Hope this helps and feel free to say "hi!!!" if you see a guy wearing mickey ears with van gogh written on the front and the left ear "cut" off (I will be wearing this as my costume on the first H'ween event! Sans blood.)

• Minion

In any case, I ended up buying AP so we could come back later in the year. I had such a horrible time the first time that I have been putting it off, but my kids have been begging me, so hear it goes.
    Which AP do you have? APs seem to be causing some very strange attendance patterns this year. I went last Thursday when three passes were valid and it seemed much more crowded than yesterday (Saturday, historically the busiest day of the week) when only Premium passes were valid. Cars Land's opening has also siphoned attendance from the DL side of the esplanade, though the holidays might reverse that if DL's seasonal accoutrements are more compelling.

• RCMC: Java Junkie

As far as crowds go, which is a better time to visit over Labor Day weekend when all passes are blocked on Saturday and Sunday? Or a summer weekend but deluxe passes are allowed in on Sundays, but no later than weekend of 8/18?

• RCMC: Java Junkie

^ Seeing how I forgot it is also the Half Marathon at the DLR on Sunday Sept 2nd, I'm now re-thinking whether I would even want to consider Labor Day weekend for a trip. I'm sure that will up the crowds even more so even with it being a holiday and the prices of hotels in the area because of it.

I am going to sound really pathetic here...

So we went the week of New Year's this year for 7 days (first day on New Year's Eve) and it was AWFUL. My friends had told me that, though New Years is bad, the days after it is great. We thought that way we could see the decorations and still not get mobbed. Boy were we wrong.
    I think that this year, the after New Years plan didn't work out because of the way the holidays fell. Some people were off the last two weeks of the year, while others were off the last week of '11 and first week of '12. I have three kids, and their Christmas vacations overlapped that way.

We went the week after Thanksgiving last year. The drive down, on Sunday of the holiday weekend, took forever. But, crowds were light, weather was very nice, and we had a good time. We will probably go the same week this year, although I'm thinking about going before Thanksgiving depending on when the holiday season starts at DLR this year.

• Life is Good

Anyone with thoughts on August crowds? We're looking at Friday, August 3 - Tuesday, August 7. We generally go for a few days in the summer it keeps us from feeling like we have to cram a lot into the day.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Swisskapolka View Post
    Anyone with thoughts on August crowds? We're looking at Friday, August 3 - Tuesday, August 7. We generally go for a few days in the summer it keeps us from feeling like we have to cram a lot into the day.

Summer busy. Arrive early, stay late and break in the middle of the day if you need a nap. Use FP very well.

• Orange County

Got married at the Disneyland Resort in 2007!

How would the crowds be Aug 20-30?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
    How would the crowds be Aug 20-30?
    Bad to good. The 20th is when SoCal Select APs are unblocked and get thier first chance to see Cars Land and the new Matterhorn. Also the regular SoCal APs are unblocked as well though they did have a 10 day stretch to ride the new stuff in June.

Usually that week when APs are unblocked some people find ok and some really bad, various points of view on crowds. What may help or hinder it this year is Cars Land, the APs may focus thier time in that one land making the rest of the parks less crowded or they may show up in a bigger group than in the past.

The next week on Monday the 25th tends to be when crowds suddenly drop. This may not be great like in previous years because of APs but should good at the least. Also the 25th is likely the day the Haunted Mansion will close for it's seasonal overlay, ride it early. Keep an eye out for confirmed Fall rehabs because they could begin on that day also. With the drop in crowds park hours will probably shorten as well, maybe 8-12 becomes 9-11.

Would you guys reccomend late september or october?