Page 23 of 89 FirstFirst ... 1320212223242526334873 ... LastLast

• Under that tree again!

Re: When Will It Be Busy At Disneyland - 2012 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
    Would you guys reccomend late september or october?
    It depends if you want a Halloween Party or not. If you do then later if not the earlier. It is really that simple. If you want a party it has the be September 28th or into October. Crowds will be there at some times and hour shorter. If you don't want crowds or a party then the days before the 28th are great.

• some assembly required

Would you guys reccomend late september or october?
    WEEKDAYS M-TH:
    Based on various facts and assumed facts posted elsewhere on the net, there is never much of a crowd from mid-Sept to the end of October on M-Th. The first H'ween Event as mentioned above takes place on the 28th of Sept. For the six weeks in question, the crowds get bigger and bigger the later it gets into Oct. but not by much.

WEEKENDS AND SPECIAL DATES:
    Near the end of Sept. or early October are "Gay Days". This can affect the crowd a bit. Of course Columbus Day weekend in early Oct is a moderately busy weekend in this six week time frame too. In fact, I have been hearing that this particular weekend can be unpredictable as compared to any other holiday weekend due to the recent trend in the past couple decades to not give workers and students this holiday off.

ADDITIONAL INFO:
    There are schools in the SW and NW regions that take major breaks during this period. This can affect crowds a bit. I believe I saw that a majority of them take this break during the last week of Sept. and the first week of Oct. These are year-round schools I think. I was also told that my trip in the last week of Sept. may be affected by hoards of cheerleader competitions. I am quite sure they ARE NOT held at DLR, but they may be going to the parks as a side trip. I sure hope not!!!

Hope this helps! I have done so much research on this time frame that I have become so full of info, I may burst! Time to pay it fwd!
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

Thankd guys! We have decided on either the 28th and a few days before/after, or October 10-14.

My wife and I are considering two options. (We would have gone the last week of September but I am away on business and work does not allow me to do it -- thanks to those who gave responses, but we can't make it that week.)

Options:

First Option: Fly in the night of the 30th of October (Tuesday) and stay at the resort through November 7th (Wednesday of the next week). We would be at the resort the 31st of October (plan to attend Halloween Party that night) and stay at the resort through Wednesday of the following week (the 7th of November).

Second Option:
    The only other time we are considering in from Wednesday November 28 through Wednesday the 5th of December.

Questions:

Question 1: If we were determining this choice solely based on crowd level, which is likely to be the less crowded week, (a) the 31st of October through November 7th or (b) the 28th of November through the 5th of December. (Note that both are Wednesday to Wednesday.) What can we expect? Are their clear positives and minues to either choices?

Question 2: Any ideas how crowded DL gets the day of Halloween and the night of the Halloween party? Is the party on the actual Halloween night going to be too scary for little kids? I assume (correct me if I am wrong) that it will be crowded?

Question 3: Does anyone know whether it is likely that the Parades/Aladdin/Fireworks/Fantasmic/World of Color will be showing the weekend of the 3rd or 4th of November (i.e., the weekend after Halloween)? Let us know if these usually are closed down on the weekends during this time period.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• Under that tree again!

Thankd guys! We have decided on either the 28th and a few days before/after, or October 10-14.
    Options 1. I would if possible choose the 28th and a few days before. Being the weekdays the crowds will be wonderfully low. Hours will be short giving you time to sleep in and not keeping you up late.

Option 1.5. However if you do the days after you would get crowds but long weekend hours and F! and fireworks will run.

Option 2. If you wait until October you will get mild crowds on Wednesday and Thursday nothing of major concern but also the short midweek hours and limited entertainment. Friday will be mostly crowded and then you would have Saturday to see F! and the fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteedLaw View Post
    My wife and I are considering two options. (We would have gone the last week of September but I am away on business and work does not allow me to do it -- thanks to those who gave responses, but we can't make it that week.)

Options:

First Option: Fly in the night of the 30th of October (Tuesday) and stay at the resort through November 7th (Wednesday of the next week). We would be at the resort the 31st of October (plan to attend Halloween Party that night) and stay at the resort through Wednesday of the following week (the 7th of November).

Second Option:
    The only other time we are considering in from Wednesday November 28 through Wednesday the 5th of December.

Questions:

Question 1: If we were determining this choice solely based on crowd level, which is likely to be the less crowded week, (a) the 31st of October through November 7th or (b) the 28th of November through the 5th of December. (Note that both are Wednesday to Wednesday.) What can we expect? Are their clear positives and minues to either choices?

Question 2: Any ideas how crowded DL gets the day of Halloween and the night of the Halloween party? Is the party on the actual Halloween night going to be too scary for little kids? I assume (correct me if I am wrong) that it will be crowded?

Question 3: Does anyone know whether it is likely that the Parades/Aladdin/Fireworks/Fantasmic/World of Color will be showing the weekend of the 3rd or 4th of November (i.e., the weekend after Halloween)? Let us know if these usually are closed down on the weekends during this time period.
    Q1. While the 28th to 5th is not bad the weekend will be busy, the weekdays just fine, but you may very well have DL closing in the evening for CM parties and maybe DCA will stay open later than in the past so you can go there, but it may be crowded. The earlier days October 31st to 7th is going to be dead crowdwise except on the 31st which will have the part bringing medium crowds and the weekend with weekend crowds.

The other pro and cons are the later dates are full on Holiday Season with decorations galore and the special fireworks and parade. The earlier dates are the transition. Halloween ends right after the party. Space closes for a day or two, but It's a Small World will be closed the whole time. You will see Halloween leaving and Christmas going up. There will be no fireworks. Earlier of course you have a chance to do the final Halloween Party.

Q2. The party is not scary in general just for a few seconds. It is fine for all ages. Halloween day will have mostly little crowding. HM and Space wil have super long lines all day and crazy at night during the party, ride them early with FP. In the afternoon it will get medium crowds and busy in the evening. DCA will be a little crowded in the evening as people leave DL and hop over.

At the party it is very crowded in areas, like the rides mentioned above. Mainstreet and the Hub since people stake out spots extra early for the special parade and fireworks, both of which are worth viewing. There are mulitple trick or treating locations and most are very crowded but some not bad. Most Characters can have long waits to meet and greet, some are there during the day other exclusive to the party, see what you can during the day during the day. Other rides have low lines since people focus on the two rides and entertainment.

Q3. Aladdin will probably have two weekdays dark. Everything will run on the weekend except fireworks. Fireworks go dark to switch to the Christmas show.

Which option? This is a tricky situation since both have decent crowds. It's a Halloween party and closures vs Holiday Season and some more crowds and possible early closes for CMs parties question.

This can be tough if you've been a lot and just want low crowds, or if you haven't been and want to see the park in its full glory. Also if you would prefer the Halloween Party or Christmas.

Thanks for the previous recommendations. We had a great trip!
    Last edited by summertime; 07-07-2012 at 01:59 AM.

• Chief Troublemaker

You guys are so great and knowledgeable! We're thinking of staying at the Grand Sept 17-21 (Mon-Fri), with our days in the park being Tues-Thurs. This is the 1st week of Halloween Time & will be my 1st time seeing the Park done up for the holiday. Is this a time when rides are likely to be down for maintenance or is everything pretty much 'up and running' during Halloween Time? I'm hoping that it will be a less crowded week, but crowds are just part of the deal IMHO.

• some assembly required

STORMY:
    Sept 18-20 there are no planned closures of e-ticket rides as of yet, check disneyland.com for their postings about 6 weeks before. There are rumours out there saying there is a moderate chance that Indy and BTMRR will be down someime before the Xmas season...

There are closures already annonced very far in advance via their info line [714-781-4565 ... press 1 for DL and then choose the "attractions" item] These attractions are Casey Jr Circus Train and SBL Canal Boats. Not a large combo attraction, but will be down for some time. All H'ween overlays to rides and the park in general will be completed.

You are planning a great time to go... the "indian summer" slow season. Very short. And since you will be mid-week, it will be a minimal crowd. However, shows will be limited and Fireworks non-existant.

Your Resort days will be less than 20% Capacity for DL and less than 50% Capacity for DCA based on availible info gathered from various sources online and my own research of the "golden indian summer season..." (which is rapidly becoming my new fave "off season" vs. the winter "off season" with too many refurbs happening in the winter (I ALWAYS miss Splash Mt. b/c of this!) ...anyway, there is a moderate gap between the parks' capacity due to the still newness of CL and BVS. The theory is that ppl (like you and me) will have waited out the summer and are now going to check it out... so it is the next wave of guests coming to see all the new offerings. But DCA at 40% - 50% is great all things considered...

Hope this helps! And by all means, get a second opinion or a membership to a Disneyland Crowd Predictor site or d/l an app for your phone.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Chief Troublemaker

Thanks, Jay! Grew up in So Cal so know that that time of the year can be wonderful for weather. Schools are back in so I was hoping crowds would be down, as I remember from my youth (Gee Mom, I wouldn't play hooky to go to Disneyland, really, cross my heart!). Am real excited to go. Haven't been since 2007. Sounds like closures won't be a huge problem, but I'll miss Indy and BTMRR if they do close. My main concern was wanting to see the rides w/Halloween overlays since I've not been there during Halloween. Should be a real blast. See ya there. You'll know me, I'll be the one dragging her husband around by the hand acting like a 6 year old while he rolls his eyes!

PS re the fireworks, so, no Halloween fireworks on weekdays then? That's a disappointment.

In the old abandoned old abandoned amusement park.

I was going to wait until Fall or January to visit, but I absolutely positively need to get my Disney on. I go several times a year during the off season, and will be braving July 22-29, 2012 just because I HAVE to go (I'll probably die if not). I can't even imagine how crowded it will be, so would it be possible for someone to provide me with some tips on how to go about visiting during that time period? I'm not that worried about doing everything, I just need to BE there. Y'know?! And, I have no clue whatsoever how to handle the summer rush. Once again, spoiled off-season boy here.

• Chief Troublemaker

Dillamond; All I can tell you is that you have to expect to wait in long lines, so lots of patience is needed. And to expect to be jostled about by the crowds. I remember years ago (when I lived in So Cal & visited at all times of the year) we used to think that doing the Park counterclockwise meant shorter lines because 'everyone else' did the Park clockwise. I have no idea if that's at all true or where we came up with that notion.

I know that there will be experts here that will give you better tips. I'll be waiting to see them, too.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dillamond View Post
    I was going to wait until Fall or January to visit, but ........will be braving July 22-29, 2012 just because I HAVE to go
    If you go in the weekens in offseason it will be comparable Still take what Stromy said to heart and be prepared for something that could be a lot worst than you are used to.

Make sure you use FP very well, make it a priority for all the attractions it's available on. The Joy of Fastpass

If you want to ride Radiator Spring Racers have one person get in the FP line right away so you get them before it runs out. Single Rider if you are willing to split up works well too.

Show up for rope drop so you can get a lot of attractions in early. Hours are long so take a mid day break for the pools or naps. Plan to be there until close when things slow down.

In DL going clockwise works well on Magic Morning days since TL and FL are already filled with guests. Although by 10am the whole park will be getting busy all over. In DCA it doesn't really matter.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    If you go in the weekens in offseason it will be comparable Still take what Stromy said to heart and be prepared for something that could be a lot worst than you are used to.

Make sure you use FP very well, make it a priority for all the attractions it's available on. The Joy of Fastpass

If you want to ride Radiator Spring Racers have one person get in the FP line right away so you get them before it runs out. Single Rider if you are willing to split up works well too.

Show up for rope drop so you can get a lot of attractions in early. Hours are long so take a mid day break for the pools or naps. Plan to be there until close when things slow down.

In DL going clockwise works well on Magic Morning days since TL and FL are already filled with guests. Although by 10am the whole park will be getting busy all over. In DCA it doesn't really matter.
    You said somewhere in that post that it starts to slow down at close. Do you suggest going in the evenings when the crowds will be a tad lighter? Or is it busier at nights?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dillamond View Post
    You said somewhere in that post that it starts to slow down at close. Do you suggest going in the evenings when the crowds will be a tad lighter? Or is it busier at nights?
    It gets slower as it gets later, mostly because of families with little ones head out. After fireworks and F! which are nightly in the Summer there is a quick rush as some who leave theaw shows get back to the rides but a good portion of those who watched the show are going to the park exit. This happens in DCA too after WoC. Then it gets better as it gets closer to the park closings as more people head home for bed. Some E-tickets still have long line with lots of people in the FP returns, but the other attractions become walk ons.

This evening slow down is more pronounced on Sundays because people don't just go to bed, they go to bed to get up early for work or school. With the large percentage of local at DLR, this means a large percentage of visitors are going to work the next morning.

Being there for opening is much more important. Not many people get up early and they slowly arrive. It doesn't get truly busy until 10 or 11.

This is why being there for open and close gets you less crowds for a few hours a day. If you arrive late or leave early you end up spending the busiest 10 or 12 hours in the park.

Your replies have been so helpful! I love you guys!