Page 26 of 101 FirstFirst ... 1623242526272829365176 ... LastLast

Re: When Will It Be Busy At Disneyland - 2012 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    This Australia group is not related to any large Anaheim function.
    HoJo folks told me the same thing. It's a group unlikely to make waves in too many other places.

Had a question about the week after Thanksgiving - Touring Plans shows low crowd levels, but I wondered if anyone had some personal experience with that time.

I'm planning to come out there in August or September, and I just realized that it's really close and I'd better plan my trip! I was just out there in May, but of course I missed Cars Land, so now I need to come out again. I'm planning to come out early in the week, Monday or Tuesday, and do DLR on weekdays. Then probably on Friday I'll head over to the Reagan library to do the Archives exhibit on Saturday. So I'm not really planning to be at DLR during the busy weekend times, which will help, but I wanted to get your input one when I should go, especially with AP blockouts, refurbs, and decorations.

My best weeks to go would either be August 20-24 or Sept. 24-28 (reversing that one and doing the library first). Opinions? I'm not really concerned with missing the fireworks, Fantasmic, etc, because I just saw those in May. I'm planning on staying at the Grand Californian, so that should help with Cars Land.

Thanks in advance!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Poursine View Post
    Had a question about the week after Thanksgiving - Touring Plans shows low crowd levels, but I wondered if anyone had some personal experience with that time.
    It has very low crowds during the week. It can be cold and possibly rain, but taking a chance on the weather it's a very nice time to visit with few other cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Leigh View Post
    I'm planning to come out early in the week, Monday or Tuesday, and do DLR on weekdays. Then probably on Friday I'll head over to the Reagan library to do the Archives exhibit on Saturday. So I'm not really planning to be at DLR during the busy weekend times, which will help, but I wanted to get your input one when I should go, especially with AP blockouts, refurbs, and decorations.

My best weeks to go would either be August 20-24 or Sept. 24-28 (reversing that one and doing the library first). Opinions? I'm not really concerned with missing the fireworks, Fantasmic, etc, because I just saw those in May. I'm planning on staying at the Grand Californian, so that should help with Cars Land.

Thanks in advance!
    In August there will probably be a burst of crowds because the 20th -24th is when SoCal APs get unblocked.

In September the crowds will be good except on Friday the 28th. That is the day of the first Halloween party and the crowds will be ok to start the day, moderate in the afternoon and very busy in the evening and night. It will likely have a few rehabs going on since it's after Summer.

It has very low crowds during the week. It can be cold and possibly rain, but taking a chance on the weather it's a very nice time to visit with few other cons.
    Great! I prefer cold weather (from the South). Thanks for the help.

• some assembly required

In August there will probably be a burst of crowds because the 20th -24th is when SoCal APs get unblocked.

In September the crowds will be good except on Friday the 28th. That is the day of the first Halloween party and the crowds will be ok to start the day, moderate in the afternoon and very busy in the evening and night. It will likely have a few rehabs going on since it's after Summer.
    Agreed.
    There will be much less of a crowd on the September dates, and IMO if you don't care about F! and fireworks as you mentioned in your post, then this is your best bet.

SIDE NOTE for anyone planning a fall 2012 trip...
    just as an observation, I am guessing that CL will have its' "second summer" in the fall. All of us who waited out the summer and/or postponed our winter and spring trips (since CL and BVS were not complete), we will descend upon the resort. Anyone have a theory or an educated guess as to how this will play out or affect the resort. I still see many apps predicting fairly low numbers at the resort, esp DL. I have been tracking these numbers for about 2 months and there has been NO CHANGE. I have been looking since before the re-do was finished. CL, though, has numbers like the summer... it looks like, from a numbers' POV, that most everyone will be in CL/RSR. For example, Space on Sept 25 never gets over 30 min. But RSR achieves and stays at 150 min within an hour of opening.

I have never, in my thirty-something years, ever seen traffic like this revolving around one section of the park well after the summer season has ended. I understand that it will be a popular section of the DLR, but I cannot fathom why it would still be *that* long of a wait. Anyone have insight to this, or are these paid apps just trying to cover their collective butts and warn us that it will be busiest at CL, even if a 3.5 hr wait is over estimating RSR mid-week, mid-Oct?

I think I will ask this in a seperate thread. If you have an educated guess or hard info, feel free to post it here or the thread below:

A 2+ hour wait time in late September thru October 2012? (RSR "2nd Summer")
    Last edited by JMazz; 07-23-2012 at 02:21 AM.
    ~Jay

"Ahh-chooo!" ~ Walt Disney
    "Bless you." ~ My Grandfather
    (Disneyland, circa 1957)

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by JMazz View Post
    Agreed.
    There will be much less of a crowd on the September dates, and IMO if you don't care about F! and fireworks as you mentioned in your post, then this is your best bet.

I realize that the Halloween fireworks are for the Halloween event, but do they not have other fireworks on the other nights? And why won't Fantasmic be running?

Do you guys think it could still be kind of crazy during the week in that last week of September? That's really the only reason I had much of a question about August vs. September, because I know that normally Sept would be much better, but this doesn't seem like a normal year. It almost seems like it's better right now without the AP's, and then it could be crazy once the blockouts end, even into September.

And I saw on the other thread where someone said there was a group of 300 Canadians coming that week??

• Under that tree again!

Do you guys think it could still be kind of crazy during the week in that last week of September?
    Crazy doesn't apply. The only super busy time will be after 5pm on the 28th when the guests arrive for the Halloween Party.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    I realize that the Halloween fireworks are for the Halloween event, but do they not have other fireworks on the other nights? And why won't Fantasmic be running?
    Fireworks and Fantasmic will run on Saturday and Sunday. A few years ago they went nightly but them Halloween Screams became party only and Remember and F! weekend only. Crowds aren't great to warrant long hours and nightly entertainment during the weeks. Maybe they will suprise us, but I think with more people in DCA, there is no reason to do more in DL.

F! doesn't run during the parties, because it's not about Halloween. Also during the parties Mickey's Cavalade runs twice, before and after Halloween Screams. ROA is a quieter area during the parties.

SIDE NOTE for anyone planning a fall 2012 trip...
    just as an observation, I am guessing that CL will have its' "second summer" in the fall. All of us who waited out the summer and/or postponed our winter and spring trips (since CL and BVS were not complete), we will descend upon the resort. Anyone have a theory or an educated guess as to how this will play out or affect the resort.
    I suspect that Car Land will sustain 1 hour LFT waits and 2 hour RSR waits. The rest of the parks will slow as normal. FP distribution for RSR will extend greatly. Just because APs are blocked doesn't mean they go. Work and school still determine when most people can go to the parks. I thinks it's also fair to assume they will go mainly for CL and only touch a few other attractions.

• some assembly required

Do you guys think it could still be kind of crazy during the week in that last week of September? That's really the only reason I had much of a question about August vs. September, because I know that normally Sept would be much better, but this doesn't seem like a normal year. It almost seems like it's better right now without the AP's, and then it could be crazy once the blockouts end, even into September.

And I saw on the other thread where someone said there was a group of 300 Canadians coming that week??
    I litttterallllly bet my fall 2012 vacation on it that it will be less crowded than now (summer). How much less crowded? Well some are saying it will be more crowded, while all the research I have done shows that DLR will be 40% capacity or less.

Like Swampy says above, there are life activities that will keep the crowds down, and any that form will be mild (mid-week) or isolated (CL/RSR).

While I tend to laugh at the posts about a bigger crush onto the resort as if it was some sort of themepark apocalyps coming this fall, I do wonder if they know of a trend that my months of research didn't pick up on.

I am doing everything right: going during a historical albeit small off season, going mid-week, leaving socal the day after the first party (the only massive crowds I predict to see). If I am wrong, I will be surprized! I will have to rethink ALL my research!
    Last edited by JMazz; 07-24-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)

What are things looking like from the 17th-20th of September?? I should imagine things will still be active due to RCR, and the Halloween decorations will just be coming out.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer28 View Post
    What are things looking like from the 17th-20th of September?? I should imagine things will still be active due to RCR, and the Halloween decorations will just be coming out.
    Halloween starts on the 14th so all decorations will be up. Also Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion will be running with thier seasonal layovers.

Going during the midweek crowds will be low, hours short and limited night entertainment.

---------- Post added 07-24-2012 at 05:27 PM ----------

I litttterallllly bet my fall 2012 vacation on it that it will be less crowded than now (summer). How much less crowded? Well some are saying it will be more crowded, while all the research I have done shows that DLR will be 40% capacity or less.
    As it turns out today thier is some proof that the parks will be slow. This could change but after Labor Day the hours drop to 10-8 for both parks.

• Life is Good

Trying to think through my upcoming trip (Aug 3-7) and wanted to get some strategies for maximizing our FastPasses and time in DL and DCA. We just have park hopper tickets, not APs

We'll arrive mid afternoon on Friday, so I thought we should wander around DCA and just absorb the changes. Haven't been there in 18 months. We like to take things at a leisurely pace when we can -- thus the 5 days in the parks.

We're pretty experienced at using Fastpasses in DL, but with Carsland could use a little advise to maximize our time. I've seen bits and pieces of this in this thread, but one good summary would be helpful.

First, would first thing Saturday or first thing Sunday be our better option? Both parks open at 8am right?

Second, can we hold a Fastpass for both RSR and WofC at the same time?

Third, please pass on any other advise if you've experienced Carsland already or anything else we should think about.

Thanks

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Swisskapolka View Post
    We'll arrive mid afternoon on Friday, so I thought we should wander around DCA and just absorb the changes. Haven't been there in 18 months. We like to take things at a leisurely pace when we can -- thus the 5 days in the parks.
    I would suggest since you have time, ride RSR in the stand by line once, take in the theming, FP and SR queus skip some of the themed areas. If you happen to be in the area and it's 90 minutes or less then hop in line. MJJ you might find around 15 minutes so you should ride that. LFT is hard to get with a short wait but 45 minutes is a low number that might be worth waiting out. Enjoy the Route 66 lighting around sunset.

You will also be able to get WoC tickets in the mid even late afternoon if you want to see it that night.

We're pretty experienced at using Fastpasses in DL, but with Carsland could use a little advise to maximize our time. I've seen bits and pieces of this in this thread, but one good summary would be helpful.
    The only thing CL does is add RSR FPs. You will want to get to DCA for a 7:30 rope drop. You have a couple options. Get in the RSR FP line that starts near Carthay Theatre and goes into Hollywood Land. Or get a Soarin, WoC and California Screaming FP when the rops drop and even ride TMM. Then get in the RSR FP line by about 8:45 and you should be able to get a RSR FP. It's even possible if you get in DCA as one of the first guests at Rope Drop to be the first in the RSR FP line, and then you can get a RSR FP if the return is around 9am, get in the RSR FP line at about 8:45 and at 9am be getting a second set of RSR FPs.

While one person takes all the ticket to get FPs, the other can do some rides.

First, would first thing Saturday or first thing Sunday be our better option? Both parks open at 8am right?
    They both have rope drops so you can enter at 7:30 and go to rides at 8am when the rope drops. On the weekend it's better to go to DCA, on Monday to DL, and Tuesday to DCA.

Second, can we hold a Fastpass for both RSR and WofC at the same time?
    Let me explain how you can get two RSR FP, or a RSR, SoC, WoC and CS FP all in an hour.

1st. You can get a FP and then another FP when the first FP return window opens or 2 hours later. Which ever happens first. The return window advances as more FPs are distributed, so FP gotten right away usually have return windows under 2 hours later.

2nd. WoC and CS FP are not connected to the system, so you can get them anytime without being restricted by what FPs you hold. In DL Roger Rabbit is not connected to the DL FPs. DL FPs are not connected to DCA FPs.

3rd. Once the return window opens, you can use that FP during the rest of the day not just inside the window. I'd suggest using a RSR FP after sunset.

Third, please pass on any other advise if you've experienced Carsland already or anything else we should think about.
    Since everyone in DCA goes to Cars Land the first hour of the day is really nice to ride anything else. TSMM and MFW are good to do early since they don't have FP.

For your Magic Morning when you can enter DL at 7am show up around 6:45. It's a good time to ride Space Mountain, Matterhorn and especially Peter Pan.

Use the mornings well getting FPs and and rides and take it slow the rest of the day.

• some assembly required

As it turns out today thier is some proof that the parks will be slow. This could change but after Labor Day the hours drop to 10-8 for both parks.
    I really would like to see this proof so that I can "shove" it in someone's face ...someone in my party who thinks DLR will be a mess during the last weekdays of Sept. So far, he is disbelieving all of my other research.
    Thx, Swampy!
    ~Jay

(Disneyland, circa 1957)