Page 30 of 103 FirstFirst ... 52027282930313233405580 ... LastLast

Re: When Will It Be Busy At Disneyland - 2012 Edition

I'm a little surprised to see Monday, Nov 12 as a 2 on TouringPlans. That's the actual day off from school and work because Veteran's Day falls on a Sunday. I was planning to go the first few days after Thanksgiving weekend. But we may be better off going the 11th-14th, if the Christmas season starts that early.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    I'm a little surprised to see Monday, Nov 12 as a 2 on TouringPlans. That's the actual day off from school and work because Veteran's Day falls on a Sunday. I was planning to go the first few days after Thanksgiving weekend. But we may be better off going the 11th-14th, if the Christmas season starts that early.
    Touring Plans uses a lot of history to do its estimates. Last year Veterans Day was a Friday. So the next Monday was quiet.

It was a very busy day, but won't be as bad this year. Because this year it's on a Monday and people have school and work the next day, not a Saturday to sleep in on. Technically Veterans day is on he 11th but observed on the closest day adjacent to a weekend. So the 12th will be busy but taper off in the evening.

The Christmas Season starts on the 12th. It will be best to go on the weekdays after Thanksgiving but if you don't want to miss as much school or work the 11th through 14th isn't aweful. It will start very busy and end very quietly. You could average it to a 4.5 overall.

My family of five planned our yearly Disneyland trip for Dec 4-7 because we have never seen Disneyland at Christmas time. The things we want to see most are Christmas fireworks, parade, etc. Of course, we also want to see Carsland as we haven't been since October. We planned Tuesday-Friday after Candlelight so we wouldn't have to deal with those crowds.

Since this crazy Candlelight announcement of twenty days and forty performances, I have made a second reservation at our hotel for the week after Thanksgiving. Now we're trying to decide between the two. Either November 27-30 or December 4-7. Does it make sense to change our week to November to enjoy the Christmas decorations/atmosphere/smaller crowds?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by kaspangle View Post
    We planned Tuesday-Friday after Candlelight so we wouldn't have to deal with those crowds.

Either November 27-30 or December 4-7. Does it make sense to change our week to November to enjoy the Christmas decorations/atmosphere/smaller crowds?
    Does it make sense? Probably but with unknowns it may be worse.

One thing to know is the Candlelight Processional does not make the parks crowded. It makes Town Square and Main Street crowded, just like parades do everyday. They don't make lines everywhere else more crowded, turning quiet days into busy ones. CPs are something terribly small to consider into park crowding.

While normally the November week is best, the CP may make it worse. Because of the 20 nights of CPs what about the CM Parties? They usually fall in early December on two weeknights. We don't know how this will turn out but they could be held in DCA in early December 1st or 2nd week or in DL but in that last part of November. However it turns out for the CM Christmas Party the park will closes at 5 or 6pm.

If they are in DL, DCA will probably get busy. If they are in DCA, DL will get busy. All that is known now is it isn't dark enough for the CP to run until 6pm, and that conflicts with the normally scheduled CM Parties.

Thanks for that info, swampymarsh. I had forgotten to take CM parties into account. I think for now we'll keep both reservations, and we'll just hope to get more info about all of it soon so we can make our decision. The main thing that concerned me about having CP every night of our trip is that we might get kicked out of Disneyland at around 5 or so every night, and the whole reason we planned this trip was to enjoy Disneyland parades, fireworks, and lights. Are you saying that Disneyland stays open for those inside the park even during hard ticket events like CP? Last year we did a Halloween Party, and I know everyone without tickets was kicked out of the park early. But the good thing about Halloween Time is that five nights of the week are not Halloween Party nights. So if people come to the park for four or five days in a row, the majority of the nights they don't get kicked out early. Obviously, we need to just wait and see before we decide for sure which week would be best.

• Under that tree again!

The CP isn't exactly a hard ticketed event. It takes place on Town Square facing the Main Street Railroad Station. Tickets are needed to get into the seated viewing, and other can stand behind them down Main Street where the view gets poor very quickly. That park is open the normal hours not closing early for this event. That's why the only problem with this event is walking down the margins of the crowd watching to get in and out of the park, like during the parades.

The CM parties do close the park early.

If you are interested in watching the CP, this has been my strategy; get there at the end of the first show, and wait for it to end then fill in the emptied spots. You can see a bit, but trees can block the view even when not standing behind people. The format could change but in the past they run it twice a night, we don't have all the details for this year.

We should known late October or early November on the status of the CM parties, so having two reservations and canceling one is a good strategy.

My November calendar is getting a little busy and unpredictable, but we have to get down to activate our APs before the end of the year.

I'm tempted to drive down this Friday night, 8/24 and come home 8/26 or 27. TouringPlans has all 5s through the weekend, and a 4 on Monday. Dateline Disneyland showed very reasonable wait times for last Saturday and the weather forecast looks good.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    I'm tempted to drive down this Friday night, 8/24 and come home 8/26 or 27. TouringPlans has all 5s through the weekend, and a 4 on Monday. Dateline Disneyland showed very reasonable wait times for last Saturday and the weather forecast looks good.
    I understand time constraints. While it might seem like a now or never situation, I'd guess if you can run down for a weekend now, you probably could many more weekends before the end of the year get the pass activated.

All weekend are busy, compared to the weekdays in November and December, this weekend will be aweful. But when compared to very busy times, it's no longer aweful. A good thing may be you will miss rehabs going this weekend that will be taking place in November and December.

It's hard to tell but if your schedule cycles will you want a AP more this Fall or next Fall. It's only going to be good for 365 days starting when you use it to enter for the first time.

I have a reservation for December 1 and 2nd the more I read the more I think I should change it to the 7th and 8th? Any thoughts?

I'm thinking about surprising my daughter and driving down from Sacramento on the afternoon of September 20th to be in the parks for her birthday on September 21st and again on September 22nd. I'm getting mixed feelings because some hotels are sold out, the DL properties don't have AP rates during that time, and the Halloween Party will be in effect. On the other hand, I didn't see any major conventions or other events. Am I missing something? Is this a bad time to go? I was thinking we'd do CA on Friday 9/21 and DL on Saturday 9/22.
    Have a little faith, trust & pixie dust.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
    I'm thinking about surprising my daughter and driving down from Sacramento on the afternoon of September 20th to be in the parks for her birthday on September 21st and again on September 22nd. I'm getting mixed feelings because some hotels are sold out, the DL properties don't have AP rates during that time, and the Halloween Party will be in effect. On the other hand, I didn't see any major conventions or other events. Am I missing something? Is this a bad time to go? I was thinking we'd do CA on Friday 9/21 and DL on Saturday 9/22.
    There is a large group coming that is filling up hotel rooms and some conventions adding to that. No Halloween Party but the season has started, the parties start the next Friday.

It's not a bad time to go, but will be busy because it's a Friday and Saturday and locals show up on Friday evening, the morning will be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jennasmom View Post
    I have a reservation for December 1 and 2nd the more I read the more I think I should change it to the 7th and 8th? Any thoughts?
    Difference in the 1st and 8th, 8th is going to be worse. Difference in the 2nd and 7th, the 7th will be better. This is because of the specific days of the week and growth in crowds as December progresses. I'd prefer the 7th and 8th for the slower morning on the Friday.

What's the prediction for November 15-18?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by chaelxo View Post
    What's the prediction for November 15-18?
    Great, Good, Bad, Bad. Thurdays is going to be very nice, do as many rides slow loaders, non FastPass as possible, Friday will be nice until evening when locals show up. This weekend starts many on weeklong vacations over the Thanksgiving Holiday, so it's bad and a little worse than a typical weekend.

Looking to take my wife, kids and my parents for part of the week of December 17th. We've never seen the CP live before - is it recommended? Is that a busy week?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyU4EA View Post
    Looking to take my wife, kids and my parents for part of the week of December 17th. We've never seen the CP live before - is it recommended? Is that a busy week?
    Yes that's a busy week. Plenty of kids are starting thier break and taking vacations. If you can got earlier the payoff in low crowds will be huge.

The CP is very nice. It's religious based. It's hard to get a good view without the seating packages which could be expensive, they will have some for APHs that are free.