Page 55 of 91 FirstFirst ... 53045525354555657586580 ... LastLast

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Re: When Will It Be Busy At Disneyland - 2012 Edition

We are considering the dates

Feb. 21-23 or March 15-17

Would one set of dates be better than the other?
    One other option would be March 25-28 but that would probably be insane.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Feb. 21-23 or March 15-17
    Don't get insane.

In February you include a weekday. While that is a semi holiday week that would be the benefit of the earlier dates.

• Avid MC reader since 2005

Yes, the reason why there is a weekday in the Feb. dates is that it is rodeo vacation here in AZ (no school). So, I don't know if that will affect crowd levels at all. AZ doesn't give time off for President's day (we do MLK Jr. day instead) but I guess California does?

Do you think the March dates might already be running into spring break?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbelle View Post
    Yes, the reason why there is a weekday in the Feb. dates is that it is rodeo vacation here in AZ (no school). So, I don't know if that will affect crowd levels at all. AZ doesn't give time off for President's day (we do MLK Jr. day instead) but I guess California does?

Do you think the March dates might already be running into spring break?
    Some schools have the whole week of President's Day off. Often called Ski Week. This isn't a lot of schools, mostly ones on non traditional calendars. It does make what would be a slow week, a mildly busy week.

Still that Thursday will be better than the March Sunday.

Yes in March you will be into Spring Break, but it's not yet the super busy time but it will be busy.

• Jambo House

I feel like I have to make a Sophie's Choice here... which of these sets of dates will be the least horrible?

A) May 26-29, crosses Memorial Day but avoids Grad Night.
    B) May 28-31, avoids Memorial Day but overlaps two Grad Nights.

With the new Grad Night policy that allows the students into the parks anytime the day of their party, I'm nervous. My DH and I both work at a school, so we'd like to avoid feeling like we're still at work while on vacation, but at the same time I've heard horror stories about Memorial Day.

Is Memorial Day that bad? Do the grads have less of an impact than I'm expecting? Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

• Under that tree again!

That's a pickle.
    Either way you get a Good Tuesday.
    With A a Sunday not so Funday. An almost Manic Monday. A how did they Graduate Nite?
    With B those 3 why aren't they in School Days and one also a Frantic Friday.

For crowds I would go with B, but know it ends on the busiest day, and will have those kids around. Understandably A will let you avoid most kids but be a little more busy.

If you don't want to see the grads, I wouldn't blame you. Monday isn't aweful, but it's crowded. Grad Nites are progressive, they show throughout the day and are obvious by noon and a force by evening. If you can get there at opening and stay until closing, when Grads go to DCA for the party, you can avoid them a bit.

Do you think April 14-18 will be a good time or will we still catch some spring break

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmydcarguy View Post
    Do you think April 14-18 will be a good time or will we still catch some spring break
    It will still be Spring Break for many school, but the aweful busy times will be done. It is a little busy, typically this is mediumg busy time with medium long hours and some extra entertainment during the week.

For those longer hours and greater entertainment this can be a good time to visit.

So, I would really really like to go to DLR this year around my birthday. Problem is, I have one of the crappiest birthdays to go on for this kind of trip, Dec 20, which falls on a Friday in 2013. I know the parks are absolutely crazy on the weekend before Christmas-early January, but will they still be crazy, say....Dec 16-19? (Monday-Thursday) Or would I just be safer going very first thing in Dec?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by vccharisma View Post
    Problem is, I have one of the crappiest birthdays to go on for this kind of trip, Dec 20, which falls on a Friday in 2013. I know the parks are absolutely crazy on the weekend before Christmas-early January, but will they still be crazy, say....Dec 16-19? (Monday-Thursday) Or would I just be safer going very first thing in Dec?
    It's really important that I correct you on something. A birthday at Disneyland is never crappy. It's one place that you will find thousands of people celebrating along side you on your birthday.

Unfortunately the 29th will commence the very bad time of the year that is crazy. The 16th through 19th will be bad. The first week is good, the second week ok. The earlier the better.

It doesn't matter when you go for your birthday trip, if you go to celebrate your birthday, then have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    It's really important that I correct you on something. A birthday at Disneyland is never crappy. It's one place that you will find thousands of people celebrating along side you on your birthday.

Unfortunately the 29th will commence the very bad time of the year that is crazy. The 16th through 19th will be bad. The first week is good, the second week ok. The earlier the better.

It doesn't matter when you go for your birthday trip, if you go to celebrate your birthday, then have fun.
    Haha you're right, birthdays at DLR are never "crappy". I meant "not the most ideal time for low crowds" lol.

Yeah, I'm thinking earlier will be better as well. Thank you!

My head is swimming! I love planning- but I'm ready to had this over to somebody who can make a spreadsheet of possible holidays and conventions and cross-reference them with ride closures and factor in park hours and then just tell me when to go. Anybody?

I am actually planning to take my family (me, DH, five kiddos between 12 and 1) this fall sometime. It must be after Big Thunder Mountain re-opens, as we don't get to go to DL very often and I would cry if I missed that one. That's it. Those are the only guidelines. We just want the lowest possible crowds (my husband has a lot of wonderful qualities, but ability to be happy in a tight crowd isn't one of them.)

Any ideas?

Melissa

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by merrysmom View Post
    I am actually planning to take my family (me, DH, five kiddos between 12 and 1) this fall sometime. It must be after Big Thunder Mountain re-opens, as we don't get to go to DL very often and I would cry if I missed that one. That's it. Those are the only guidelines. We just want the lowest possible crowds (my husband has a lot of wonderful qualities, but ability to be happy in a tight crowd isn't one of them.)
    Welcome to Micechat.

You can't get the best of all worlds but I'll tell you some good times.

Big Thunder may go long or short instead of opening on Halloween as scheduled now. So there is some risk it won't be open. Also when we get to next Fall there may be a new major closure announced.

A very good time to go is going to be the 3rd week of November the 1 week of December. Both are during the Holiday Season so you get special daily entertainment. The hours aren't long but the crowds are low. Weather can be poor but is more likely good but a little cooler later. On the 2nd week of November the Holidays may have began, won't know until this Summer what that schedule is. There can be a handful of rehabs during these times, less in December.

After that the very end of April and start of May is good. But you need to have weekends which are always busy, to get the night entertainment.

Fireworks and Fantasmic are nightly when busy, only on Friday to Sunday when slow. During the Holidays the fireworks and Fantasmic are nightly.

Thank you! I think we could stand missing any ride except Big Thunder! We usually go every other year in February, which has been great, but I would like to try the fall. (Also that means we don't have to wait as long!)

So I'm thinking if we aim for the last of Nov. or first of Dec. and do Tuesday through Saturday in the parks, that should get us some low crowd days, but also the two weekend nights to see the night entertainment in each park. I've seen crowd calendars that seem to show the first two weeks of December being really low, but who knows how accurate that is?

We really want to book as soon as we can because we will need a suite to fit all the kiddos! I just need to decide and then quit re-thinking everything!

Thanks again!
    Melissa

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by merrysmom View Post
    So I'm thinking if we aim for the last of Nov. or first of Dec. and do Tuesday through Saturday in the parks, that should get us some low crowd days, but also the two weekend nights to see the night entertainment in each park. I've seen crowd calendars that seem to show the first two weeks of December being really low, but who knows how accurate that is?

We really want to book as soon as we can because we will need a suite to fit all the kiddos! I just need to decide and then quit re-thinking everything!
    Not the last of November this year. It included Thankgiving and that is a very busy week.

When you visit during the Holiday Season you can avoid weekends because entertainment is daily. The weekends only provide long hours, and crowds.

The first week of December has low crowds. The second week is moderate.

If you can plan this far out and need a sweet looking into renting DVC points to stay in the Grand California Villas.