Page 63 of 89 FirstFirst ... 133853606162636465667388 ... LastLast

Re: When Will It Be Busy At Disneyland - 2012 Edition

Hi all,

We have a choice of visiting June 18-21 or June 23-26. I know the first option means dealing with Grad Night but I'm also seeing some hotels booked up for the second option.

Will the crowds be terrible, terrible for either choice? Thanks!

Jennifer

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenj View Post
    We have a choice of visiting June 18-21 or June 23-26. I know the first option means dealing with Grad Night but I'm also seeing some hotels booked up for the second option.
    By then the crowds are big either way and the grads less noticeable since they are not a big fish in a small pond, but another big fish in a big pond. They do cut into hours and crowd major attractions.

It would be better to go the next week.

If you can't find rooms, try a different website, some sell blocks or room and show full if they sell out even when the hotel has rooms left. Try a different area conventions can fill hotels south of Katella, look across from the park on Harbor. Try contacting the hotels directly. Also try shifting dates, weekends are really busy in summer with travelers.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenj View Post
    I was looking at those two weeks also, Jen...6/16 to 6/19 or 6/23 to 6/26 (leaving Wednesday so Grad Nites would be less of a factor).

The reason I found for considering the earlier week more favorably was that 6/27 is the last day the SoCal APs can access the park before the summar blackout. I thought their last push for summer might impact crowds that week.

Is that a safe assumption, Swampy?

Anyone know how crowded it will be on Tuesday, May 28th?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by LacyBelle View Post
    I was looking at those two weeks also, Jen...6/16 to 6/19 or 6/23 to 6/26 (leaving Wednesday so Grad Nites would be less of a factor).

The reason I found for considering the earlier week more favorably was that 6/27 is the last day the SoCal APs can access the park before the summar blackout. I thought their last push for summer might impact crowds that week.

Is that a safe assumption, Swampy?
    I'm not worried about an APs preblockout rush because there is no great incentive to go this summer. In the past Carsland, Star Tours and WoC had big and small effects.

It's better to go earlier, but you are going when all schools are out either way so just a minor difference.

Quote Originally Posted by disneymaniac6 View Post
    Anyone know how crowded it will be on Tuesday, May 28th?
    It should be a good day with moderate crowds.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

Thanks, Swampy, for replying. We decided to just go up for one night and making the most of two days there. It'll be busy, I'm sure, but what can you do?

Thanks again!

• i believe in faeries.

when is the time frame for grad nights? mid may to the end of june?

• world class bilge rat

I'm thinking of visiting DL 9/5 to 9/8. What could I expect in terms of crowd levels as well as attraction closures?

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Avaren View Post
    when is the time frame for grad nights? mid may to the end of june?
    They started on Wednesday May 9th and end on Friday June 21st. During that time frame they are held Wednesdays through Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I'm thinking of visiting DL 9/5 to 9/8. What could I expect in terms of crowd levels as well as attraction closures?
    For a weekend it's actually a nice one with moderate crowds. Mainly due to school just having started people aren't so weekend/vacation focused. Expect busy but not crazy.

As for rides HM will be down to get the Holiday/Halloween overlay. It takes about three weeks and will probably close on the 26th of August. Space will probably close on Monday 9th so you should be ok there. The Fireworks may be Magical the summer show still on that weekend. Other closures are likely but big ones may hold off until Monday the 9th.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

Is mid-week during September still a no-man's land, the way it's often advertised? Early December was said to be light crowds, but it seemed fairly busy last year, even during the week (we arrived Dec 3). We're thinking about going again this year and want to pick a lighter time of year while our kids are still young enough to go any time without missing school.

Or perhaps it's just that I hadn't been to Disney in 7 years and don't know about the new constant-crowds paradigm. Perhaps our trip in Dec WAS light crowds =/ Yikes.

I'm not so worried about closures, we saw the HM overlay last year. I've never had two visits to Disney so close together so it will be nice to feel I can skip some things. Indy was closed when we were there in Dec though, so I'm anxious to get on that!!

We're planning a trip to Disneyland/California Adventure for either Dec. 3-5 or Dec. 10-12. I want to go when it's going to be the least crowded. Touringplans.com predicts the 3-5th will be the least crowded overall. We love both parks equally and plan on spending lots of time at both. Touringplans.com also predicts that during the Dec. 3-5 Disneyland will be less crowded than CA, but from the 10-12th it's the other way around (anyone know why that might be or what makes one park more crowded than the other on certain days?)

How accurate do these predictions seem? I'm leaning toward Dec. 3-5th not only because of touringplans.com predictions, but my gut also tells me the earlier in December the better--it seems like the closer it gets to Christmas, the more crowded it will get. Any truth to that?

As a side note...We went last year at Halloween time, and attended Mickey's Halloween party on Oct. 9th. The crowds were lightest on that day, and especially during the party itself the lines were very short. The other days we went (the 10-12th) were more crowded than I was expecting, and when I look back on touringplans.com's numbers for those days, I'm surprised to see that they were actually not very crowded days--yikes, because they felt like it to me! Although, we normally go in February or early May so perhaps I'm used to small crowds.

Thanks in advance!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by threnjen View Post
    Is mid-week during September still a no-man's land, the way it's often advertised? Early December was said to be light crowds, but it seemed fairly busy last year, even during the week (we arrived Dec 3). We're thinking about going again this year and want to pick a lighter time of year while our kids are still young enough to go any time without missing school.

Or perhaps it's just that I hadn't been to Disney in 7 years and don't know about the new constant-crowds paradigm. Perhaps our trip in Dec WAS light crowds =/ Yikes.

I'm not so worried about closures, we saw the HM overlay last year. I've never had two visits to Disney so close together so it will be nice to feel I can skip some things. Indy was closed when we were there in Dec though, so I'm anxious to get on that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath4z View Post
    We're planning a trip to Disneyland/California Adventure for either Dec. 3-5 or Dec. 10-12. I want to go when it's going to be the least crowded. Touringplans.com predicts the 3-5th will be the least crowded overall. We love both parks equally and plan on spending lots of time at both. Touringplans.com also predicts that during the Dec. 3-5 Disneyland will be less crowded than CA, but from the 10-12th it's the other way around (anyone know why that might be or what makes one park more crowded than the other on certain days?)

How accurate do these predictions seem? I'm leaning toward Dec. 3-5th not only because of touringplans.com predictions, but my gut also tells me the earlier in December the better--it seems like the closer it gets to Christmas, the more crowded it will get. Any truth to that?

As a side note...We went last year at Halloween time, and attended Mickey's Halloween party on Oct. 9th. The crowds were lightest on that day, and especially during the party itself the lines were very short. The other days we went (the 10-12th) were more crowded than I was expecting, and when I look back on touringplans.com's numbers for those days, I'm surprised to see that they were actually not very crowded days--yikes, because they felt like it to me! Although, we normally go in February or early May so perhaps I'm used to small crowds.

Thanks in advance!
    Both of these questions are very similar.

How crowded is a question of perception. Your observation can be affected by the time of day, area in the parks, and weather. Lots of little things can obscure the big picture. Some ride waits greatly vary, some do not. As the crowds adjust Disney adjusts operations. If there aren't a lot of people in the parks, rides don't operate at maximum capacity which can increase waits.

Earlier in December is better.

September is pretty good midweek. But hours are short, no Fireworks or Fantasmic. Lots of rides are closed at this time, probably about 5 things in rehab and Big Thunder Mountain will be one of them.

If you really expect the park to be empty timing is important. You need to go on a rainy day.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

Not sure where in the forums I should ask this, but do you have any advice on touring Disneyland on a day (Tuesday, June 4th) when there is Early Admission (Magic Morning and Extra Magic Hour) at Disneyland?

We're planning on arriving before opening (8am) and lining up inside for the rope drop, but the tour plan I had doesn't take into account that there will be visitors already in the park in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. The idea was to ride Star Tours and Space Mountain first before heading to Adventureland/Critter Country/New Orleans Square.

Is it still worth it to check out Tomorrowland first, and get one Fast Pass if necessary, or does it make more sense to go to the west side of the park because there won't be lots of people on that side at rope drop?

I have an older copy of The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland, and it basically says, go to California Adventure instead on a day that Disneyland has early admission if you don't have early admission. Not helpful if we want to visit Disneyland (only) that day.

Thanks very much.

Thanks so much for your reply swampymarsh. You're very knowledgeable and it's much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by The Linkster View Post
    Not sure where in the forums I should ask this, but do you have any advice on touring Disneyland on a day (Tuesday, June 4th) when there is Early Admission (Magic Morning and Extra Magic Hour) at Disneyland?

We're planning on arriving before opening (8am) and lining up inside for the rope drop, but the tour plan I had doesn't take into account that there will be visitors already in the park in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. The idea was to ride Star Tours and Space Mountain first before heading to Adventureland/Critter Country/New Orleans Square.

Is it still worth it to check out Tomorrowland first, and get one Fast Pass if necessary, or does it make more sense to go to the west side of the park because there won't be lots of people on that side at rope drop?

I have an older copy of The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland, and it basically says, go to California Adventure instead on a day that Disneyland has early admission if you don't have early admission. Not helpful if we want to visit Disneyland (only) that day.

Thanks very much.
    On days with early admission to Disneyland, only Tomorrowland and Fantasyland will be open early, so you couldn't go to Adventureland/NOS/Cirtter County until regular opening anyway. I would get Star Tours and Space Mountain done first, then hit any Fantasyland rides you want to do, especially Dumbo and Pinocchio as those rides get long quickly.

If you will be there for rope drop at the normal opening, then I would do Adventureland first as you are right and it will be less crowded. When we were there for Magic Morning we hit Tomorrowland and by the time the park opened, lines for Space Mountain and Star Tours were already as long as they were at any other part of the day, so there was no advantage to heading there first at regular opening hours.