Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

2015 Predictions for the DLR

Since we all know that Potter is coming to Hollywood (Yes, I know there have probably been numerous threads about this), I thought it would be fun to have a speculation thread on what the DLR has cooked up it sleeve for 2015 to compete against Potterverse. Allow me to throw my few cents in...

Given Disney's recent track record, I say that whatever Universal comes up with, Disney likes to one-up them. For example, since Universal is opening Transformers, Disney is opening Carsland. Now that Uni is opening a new land based on an extremely popular franchise, Disney is going to have to react in a major way to help the people in the regional SoCal areas to visit them. I mean, having two of the world's best rides in one park is not going to be something to scoff about.

Here's my prediction: Disney is finally going to green-light the Frontierland expansion with one or maybe two E-Ticket attractions. I see this happening more than the Tomorrowland redo since it's crowded enough as is with Star Tours; besides, I'm sure the execs would rather expand DL to increase capacity.

Even after Cars Land opens, that will be a few years old by the time Potter opens. With the new likely expansion at DL, I'm sure they'll want to build another E-Ticket at DCA to help balance out the crowds a bit. There is one attraction that doesn't attract very many people anymore and is very-much out-dated that could use replacing. Maybe they could put something big where it is now and combine it with the abandoned Millionaire building. Maybe they could put in the Great Muppet Movie Ride?

What are your thoughts on what the DLR will do for 2015?

• Minion

Re: 2015 Predictions for the DLR

I don't know the numbers, but I definitely don't think Disney needs to look at Universal Studios as a major competitor. It has movie thrills and whatnot, but I've always thought Disneyland had the upper hand when it came to the local "competition." I'm extremely biased, though, so...

I'm just hoping by 2015, Disneyland will have fixed a lot of the Tomorrowland issues. Mainly a new 4-D show to replace EO/Honey I..., the Peoplemover tracks, and retheming the area a bit to fit more nicely into the "Tomorrowland" name.

• Minion

Additions to Tomorrowland will be coming much sooner than additions to Frontierland. Much​ sooner...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    I don't know the numbers, but I definitely don't think Disney needs to look at Universal Studios as a major competitor. It has movie thrills and whatnot, but I've always thought Disneyland had the upper hand when it came to the local "competition." I'm extremely biased, though, so...

I'm just hoping by 2015, Disneyland will have fixed a lot of the Tomorrowland issues. Mainly a new 4-D show to replace EO/Honey I..., the Peoplemover tracks, and retheming the area a bit to fit more nicely into the "Tomorrowland" name.
    Well, think of it this way: The majority of DL's attendance revolves around AP holders. Passes are getting quite expensive nowadays; heck they've gotten so expensive, I just don't own one anymore. When Potter opens in 2015, they will have had two highly sophisticated attractions like Potter and Transformers. They will look to Universal as a cheaper alternative from Disney. That is one think Disney needs to pay attention to especially considering Universal's loyal AP following. Disney will need to bring in something BIG to convince people to renew/buy their APs

As for the Tomorrowland redo, I think it would be awesome to see that. It would be great to see Astro relocated on top of the PM platform as well as bringing the PM back in a way to appeal to a modern audience. Innoventions can be replaced with Stark Expo and a new 4D show with Tron or something can take place in the Magic Eye theater.

I guess what I'm asking myself is, how far is Disney willing to go to REALLY draw a crowd from Potter? I'm guessing having several things in the DLR to keep them occupied.

---------- Post added 01-13-2012 at 06:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Additions to Tomorrowland will be coming much sooner than additions to Frontierland. Much​ sooner...
    Glad to hear that. I am a bit surprised considering that it's pretty crowded with Star Tours...unless they have some ways of really eating up capacity.

while Potter is definitly the lead announcement this time, we'd been hearing of Cars years before Transformers was announced. Heck I remember Cars was being teased as bluesky way back in the early years of my membership on Disney forums possible before I even saw the Transformers films.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• -

I think the real question should be: Is Indy going to be fixed by 2015?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    I think the real question should be: Is Indy going to be fixed by 2015?
    Yup! haha

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Yup! haha
    The future is looking bright for Disneyland.

On a side note, I have reached my 666th post on Friday the 13th. Hehehehehe >:-)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    Well, think of it this way: The majority of DL's attendance revolves around AP holders. Passes are getting quite expensive nowadays; heck they've gotten so expensive, I just don't own one anymore. When Potter opens in 2015, they will have had two highly sophisticated attractions like Potter and Transformers. They will look to Universal as a cheaper alternative from Disney. That is one think Disney needs to pay attention to especially considering Universal's loyal AP following. Disney will need to bring in something BIG to convince people to renew/buy their APs
    Did WDW have to go to great lengths to keep their passholders when Harry Potter debuted in Florida? Granted, there is more to do on the other side of the country, I don't think Disneyland will have to do much more to keep the loyalty of their guests. As long as they keep updating and maintaining at the same rate they have been recently, Disney will go along swimmingly.

I will say that I would not mind if Disneyland tries to draw a bigger crowd by introducing new shows (60th anniversary show please!) and E-Ticket rides.

Picking nits here, but don't see how Carsland is a response to Transformers. It's not really one upping, it's comparing one new attraction versus an expansion and face lift of an entire park.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Picking nits here, but don't see how Carsland is a response to Transformers. It's not really one upping, it's comparing one new attraction versus an expansion and face lift of an entire park.
    If anything, it's the other way around.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Did WDW have to go to great lengths to keep their passholders when Harry Potter debuted in Florida? Granted, there is more to do on the other side of the country, I don't think Disneyland will have to do much more to keep the loyalty of their guests. As long as they keep updating and maintaining at the same rate they have been recently, Disney will go along swimmingly.

I will say that I would not mind if Disneyland tries to draw a bigger crowd by introducing new shows (60th anniversary show please!) and E-Ticket rides.
    Remember that in Florida, because of the region, the majority of their guests are tourists that are out-of-state or even the country. Florida is a more "destination" place to draw in out-of-town crowds. Because of that, while people will visit Universal to see Harry Potter, they'll check out WDW while they're there. With that, Disney will still float regardless of what Universal in Orlando comes up with.

Now let's turn the table towards us on the West Coast. Over here, the majority of those people that visit the DLR are in the area and have APs. Like I said earlier, people may want to buy a Universal pass as opposed to a Disney one as a cheaper alternative. If Disney isn't really going to add very much with Potter coming along, why should the general public be persuaded into buying the more-expensive DLR pass when they've been on all of those rides so many times?

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Muppet projects perhaps?
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Somehow I feel that Disney is waiting until the summer to see how CARS LAND and Buena Vista Street fare against Transformers Ride before making any major announcements.

With such a local population in both LA and Orange counties, what Disney will likely be worried about are Annual Passholders who do not renew for 2015. In fact, I wonder if Universal will still promote the "Buy a Day get a Year Free" deal the year prior and thus, begin to have even better attendance leading up to the launch of Harry Potter and then throughout the year.

And even if people still renew their Disneyland passes, if they also jump aboard Universal's Annual Pass, they may find themselves spending more time at Universal, away from Disney properties. That's a potential revenue stream that is significantly lowered.

Now, the Asian tourists might visit in mass that year and I think Disney could/would benefit from that as well. But you can never know for sure since Hong Kong Disneyland might have Star Tours opening that year and Shanghai Disneyland right around the corner.

So yah, I think 2015 is a very important year for both companies. Disney would probably want to have something open to retain those annual passholder renewals... but it needs to be significant enough, not just a dark ride.

That's my only prediction really. I don't want to throw out possible rides or attractions because frankly, we won't know for sure until the time comes.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Not on the Jedi Council

The "Get a Year Free" comes with plenty of blackout dates unless you spend an extra $40, but compared to Disney, it is cheap, though my experience with Uni is that once every five years is enough. I've held season passes there a couple of times, and I like CityWalk when I visit, but the place overall just isn't that big or refreshed much.

It's good to see the park getting much needed TLC now, but with Harry and Transformers, it's still only about 70 rides and attractions shy of Disney, IMO. And can they finally put Kobe in on the Terminator loop? Shaq is now retired from the NBA, isn't he?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast