Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Re: A (Mostly) Complete List of Original vs. Source-Based Attractions in Disneyland

^As stated in the post above yours, I explained my exclusion of Jungle Cruise from source-based.

The Third Man on the Mountain for Matterhorn is something that's known, yes, but I'm not sure if I can support it being source-based because it's not reliant on the movie and does not contain any references to the movie (I doubt the majority of riders realize that it was even inspired by the movie).

Photo Via jdhilger

• DLR Cast Member

Re: A (Mostly) Complete List of Original vs. Source-Based Attractions in Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by rokketride View Post
    Sleeping Beauty a several hundred year old fable. I'd call that sourced material.
    But it was a movie tie in. Does that change whether it should be considered sourced or not?

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Quote Originally Posted by RiversOfAmerica View Post
    But it was a movie tie in. Does that change whether it should be considered sourced or not?
    I think that either way it would be considered source. If a Hansel and Gretel attraction was built, even if it didn't have a movie tie-in, I think people would still call that source-based.

Photo Via jdhilger

I can see your logic in what is sourced and what is not, and I would agree that the original It's a Small World was not sourced simply because it debuted somewhere else first and was then moved to Disneyland.

But this made me chuckle a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post
    Lincoln may never be rooted in pop culture because he is too associated with a sensitive topic in America's history. And even if there were to be a Hollywood film based on him, it would not fit the criteria to enter the realm of "pop culture", in my opinion.
    And the reason it did is because of a little upcoming movie entitled Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ^_^

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Gross View Post
    And the reason it did is because of a little upcoming movie entitled Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter ^_^
    Oh, my god. This is terrible. But Tim Burton is helping make it so it might be a good?

Being a history buff, I'm currently cringing.

Photo Via jdhilger

• Senior Minion

...This then, by my definition, is why I would not call the Jungle Cruise a source-based attraction. Yes, you were boarding a boat to an attraction that was in many ways inspired by The African Queen, but you weren't boarding a boat that was going to take you through The African Queen.

Quite simply, if the majority of people got off the ride and had a feeling like they just were apart of something related to The African Queen, it would be sourced. But as I don't think that's true, I would just call it inspired. The same idea applies for other rides as well.
    Exactly. The Jungle Cruise was and is no more related to The African Queen than the Matterhorn Bobsleds to Third Man on the Mountain.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

I think that either way it would be considered source. If a Hansel and Gretel attraction was built, even if it didn't have a movie tie-in, I think people would still call that source-based.
    The movie was in production during Disneyland's construction so it is pretty safe to say that the castle is based on the movie.

And as for the Matterhorn it wasn't inspired by the movie itself it was inspired by the real mountain because Walt was filming there.

• Minion

Oh, my god. This is terrible. But Tim Burton is helping make it so it might be a good?

Being a history buff, I'm currently cringing.
    Actually a pretty fun, goofy little alternate history story. Lincoln's mother was actually killed by vampires and Lincoln vows vengeance on their kind. The Confederacy itself is run by a vampire consortium that wants to keep slavery intact as a food source and possibly expand on it, while there are vampires in the North that just want to be left alone by people and know that the others draw too much unwanted attention.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

The great thing about this list is that it's completely debatable and fluid. I never said this was a definite list, and rather posted this on here to share something interesting that the community could help alter and evolve. There may be missing attractions (like IASW not being on the Post-Disney list), or things that weren't sourced (Tom Sawyer's Rafts).
    Great explanation and analysis. Thanks for the detailed reply.

• Minion

Would the train's Primeval World count as a Fantasia tie-in? A lot of those dino setpieces are right out of Rite of Spring
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Would the train's Primeval World count as a Fantasia tie-in? A lot of those dino setpieces are right out of Rite of Spring
    Yeah, I see what you're saying. Even the attraction poster for Primeval World contained that infamous scene from Fantasia:

Name:  PRIMEVALWORLD22.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  146.2 KB

However, I think it's merely supposed to be an Easter egg for those who had seen the movie. It was originally a part of Ford's Magic Skyway Exhibit in the 1964 World's Fair, and that's why I think it was just supposed to be something extra for guests who knew what it was referencing.

That being said, Fantasia had just been re-released in theaters in 1963, so I'm sure it was fresh in many people's minds. Hmm...

I would say that even though it might be purposefully put in there for guests to recognize it from the movie, the DLRR in the full picture did not rely on source-based material.

Photo Via jdhilger

Ok. I must say that I really don't get it? Why did you post all that data? Please don't take this as a personal afront, because it isn't, but I really don't understand why you spent all that time gathering and posting? Was it a slow day at home/work/school? Thanks.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Quote Originally Posted by Popcornballs View Post
    Ok. I must say that I really don't get it? Why did you post all that data? Please don't take this as a personal afront, because it isn't, but I really don't understand why you spent all that time gathering and posting? Was it a slow day at home/work/school? Thanks.
    There's been a lot of discussion recently about which attractions relied on source-based material during the time when Walt oversaw everything that was built in contrast to after his death. This was simply to shed some light on something that is constantly brought up in the forum and to give people a point of reference.

It only took about an hour or so of my time while I was waiting around for my friends to go to dinner.

Photo Via jdhilger

Oh. Ok. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly. The Jungle Cruise was and is no more related to The African Queen than the Matterhorn Bobsleds to Third Man on the Mountain.
    But again, as I pointed out with what I had said in my first post, it is worth noting that the Jungle Cruise not being called The African Queen River Ride, and the Golden Horseshoe not being called The Calamity Jane Saloon, and the Mattehorn Bobsleds not being called The Third Man Down the Mountain doesn't mean that Disney wasn't tapping into a potent part of the zeitgeist. There's a reason why Irene Dunne christened the Mark Twain Riverboat and Davy Crockett opened Frontierland.

The composed list would be useful for a discussion on Disney-specific marketing, but I think it's not as careful as it could be if we're going to lionize how original WED Enterprises was over modern-day Imagineering.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast