Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

A (Mostly) Complete List of Original vs. Source-Based Attractions in Disneyland

I compiled two lists, one made up of attractions (rides, stage shows, and firework shows, NOT parades, sideshows, or restaurants) created during the life of Walt Disney, and the other made up of attractions created after Disney's Death in 1966. Attractions that primarily relied on a source-based character are bolded, while those that were completely original creations of Disneyland are not. Percentages are included at the end of each list.

*It should be noted that I've tried my best to include everything, including refurbishments that included new characters (POTC), but there may be some things that may be left out:

Walt Disney Era
    Main Street Shooting Gallery
    Story Book Shop
    Babes in Toyland Exhibit
    Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    Circarama
    Clock of the World
    Monasanto Hall of Chemistry
    Monasanto's Fashions and Fabrics through the years
    Space Station X-1
    Rocket to the Moon
    Tomorrowland Boats
    The World Beneath Us
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Flight Circle
    Hobbyland
    Art Corner
    Aluminum Hall of Fame
    Dutch Boy Color Gallery
    Astro Jets
    Tomorrowland Jets
    Crane Company Bathroom of Tomorrow
    Skyway
    The Viewliner
    Monsanto's House of the Future
    Submarine Voyage
    The Art of Animation
    Flying Saucers
    Fashion and Fabrics Through the Ages
    Autopia
    Mickey Mouse Club Theater
    Mickey Mouse Club Circus
    Merlin's Magic Shop
    Keller's Jungle Killers

Junior Autopia
    Midget Autopia
    Fantasyland Autopia
    Skull Rock
    Golden Horseshoe Revue
    Davy Crockett Museum
    Mule Pack
    Stage Coach
    Conestoga Wagons
    Rainbow Caverns Mine Train
    Mineral Hall
    Indian War Canoes
    Indian Village
    Big Thunder Ranch
    Mike Fink Keel Boats
    Tahitian Terrace
    Swiss Family Treehouse
    Fantasy in the Sky

Disneyland Railroad
    Main Street Cinema
    Main Street Vehicles
    The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    Disneyland Monorail
    Snow White's Scary Adventures
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Casey Jr. Circus Train
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    Alice in Wonderland
    Mad Tea Party
    Peter Pan's Flight
    Pinocchio's Daring Journey
    Sleeping Beauty Castle
    King Arthur's Carrousel

It's a Small World
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Storybook Land Canal Boats
    Tom Sawyer's Island
    Mark Twain Riverboat

Rafts to Tom Sawyer's Island
    Sailing Ship Columbia
    Big Thunder Ranch
    Jungle Cruise
    Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
    Pirates of the Caribbean

Original: 47, 62%
    Source-Based: 29, 38%
    Total: 76

Post-Disney Era

it's a small world
    Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
    Mickey's House and Meet Mickey
    Minnie's House
    Goofy's Playhouse
    Donald's Boat
    Chip 'n Dale's Treehouse
    Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
    Gadget's Go Coaster
    The Disney Gallery

Astro Orbitor
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage

Space Mountain
    Star Tours: The Adventure Continues
    Captain EO Tribute

Innoventions
    Starcade
    Jedi Training Academy
    Pixie Hallow
    Disney Princess Fantasy Faire

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island
    Frontierland Shooting Exposition
    The Golden Horseshoe Stage
    Fantasmic!
    Tarzan's Treehouse
    Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Pirates of the Caribbean

Haunted Mansion
    Splash Mountain
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Legacy of Walt Disney
    Disneyland Presents a Preview of Coming Attractions
    The Walt Disney Story
    The Walt Disney Story featuring Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
    Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years
    Flight to the Moon
    Mission to Mars
    Rocket Jets
    Carousel of Progress
    PeopleMover
    Adventure Thru Inner Space
    America Sings
    Space Stage
    Magic Journeys
    Honey, I Shrunk the Audience
    Toy Story Funhouse

Rocket Rods
    The American Space Experience
    Star Tours
    One Man's Dream
    Dick Tracy: Diamond Double-Cross
    Beauty and the Beast
    Plane Crazy
    The Spirit of Pocahontas
    Amazement- The Musical
    Snow White - An Enchanting Musical

Golden Horseshoe Variety Show
    All-New Woody's Roundup
    Big Thunder Ranch
    Little Patch of Heaven Petting Farm
    Aladdin's Oasis

Country Bear Jamboree
    The Mile-Long Bar
    Teddi Barra's Swinging Arcade
    Jolly Trolley
    Believe… There's Magic in the Stars
    Imagine… A Fantasy in the Sky

Remember… Dreams Come True

Original: 30, 43%
    Source-Based: 40, 57%

Total: 70

This of course falls right in line with what is now common knowledge: Post-Disney uses a greater percentage of characters than the Walt Disney Era, and this is not including any restaurants (although if it did, I think the percentages for originality might increase more).

Some interesting things to note: Main Street, U.S.A., included a Babes in Toyland exhibit as well as a Shooting Gallery themed to the 1920s during the Walt era. Also, Toontown's opening in the 90s contributed 8 attractions in the Post-Walt era.
    Last edited by napeterson18; 01-14-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Photo Via jdhilger

• Senior Minion

Re: A (Mostly) Complete List of Original vs. Source-Based Attractions in Disneyland

Great job napeterson!

One tiny nitpick: from 1956 to 1971, the canoes were called the "Indian War Canoes." They were renamed "Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes" in 1972.

EDIT: Oops! My mistake, I see you got 'em both.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 01-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Addicted to MC since '08

Re: A (Mostly) Complete List of Original vs. Source-Based Attractions in Disneyland

Cool.

great list. Its interesting to see it compared side by side. I never was one to bash movie tie in rides that much and after seeing this, I noticed a great attraction is going to be a great attraction regardless if its movie based or not. As in space mountain, Pirates, haunted mansion, are just as great as star tours, indy, and probably radiator springs racers when its done. I know original rides are always going to be a bit more interesting because they are completely new to us but i appreciate that most of the time, Disney will take that movie and turn it into something that is almost equally enjoyable as the new and
    fresh original rides.

Interesting, but I think there would be a lot of debate about what is and isn't a source.

One example of how complicated it is: in your Walt Disney era, you have POTC as non-sourced, in your post Disney era, you have POTC as sourced. Sourced on what? On movies sourced on the original POTC. So, recursive sourcing?

Similarly with The Disney Gallery vs. The Walt Disney Story. Why is one sourced and not the other? And is Disney really considered a source of Disney?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Interesting, but I think there would be a lot of debate about what is and isn't a source.

One example of how complicated it is: in your Walt Disney era, you have POTC as non-sourced, in your post Disney era, you have POTC as sourced. Sourced on what? On movies sourced on the original POTC. So, recursive sourcing?
    It's simple: Disneyland's "Pirates of the Johnny Depp" is a relentless self-conscious, blatantly in-your-face promotion for the Bruckheimer film series. It turned a world-renowned Disneyland original into an infomercial for a movie franchise, trashing its unique style and sensibility in the process.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Great job napeterson!

One tiny nitpick: from 1956 to 1971, the canoes were called the "Indian War Canoes." They were renamed "Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes" in 1972.

EDIT: Oops! My mistake, I see you got 'em both.
    I did get them both! But I wrongly placed the Davy Crockett version in the Walt Disney Era. Fixed that as well as the percentages.

Similarly with The Disney Gallery vs. The Walt Disney Story. Why is one sourced and not the other? And is Disney really considered a source of Disney?
    Right. Sourced material is anything that stretches outside the park, but not including history (Why Mark Twain Riverboat is counted as sourced, but Columbia and Lincoln is not). POTC was counted post-Disney simply because it went through a refurb to include characters that were not made in the park.

The Disney Gallery promoted Disney characters. The Walt Disney Story was the story behind a man (history). It did not try to immerse the viewer in a land of characters, but rather show them a documentary on a man who was behind their creation.
    Last edited by napeterson18; 01-13-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Photo Via jdhilger

Very cool list. I would just question, as someone else did, what exactly qualifies as a source. As everyone knows, the Matterhorn Bobsleds did have Third Man on the Mountain as a formative influence. The Jungle Cruise was inspired by the True-Life Adventures (in fact, the name "Adventureland" derives from "True-Life Adventureland" on the original drafts) and was more directly influenced by the non-Disney film African Queen. The Mine Train was also influenced by the True-Life Adventures, including direct representations of content from The Living Desert, Olympic Elk, Beaver Valley and Bear Country. The Golden Horseshoe was effectively a scale replica of the saloon from Calamity Jane with a Revue that used content from Pecos Bill. I see you sourced the Mark Twain Riverboat and Tom Sawyer's Island but not the rafts, which were also directly inspired by Huckleberry Finn. Fort Wilderness had representations of Davy Crockett, Georgie Russell and Andrew Jackson. The Sailing Ship Columbia was a replica of the actual sailing ship Columbia. While it cannot be specifically said that the Tomorrowland attractions and Tomorrowland television shows inspired the other, they were certainly synergized in a full corporate package. We can even get as vague as noting that the Tahiti Terrace and Enchanted Tiki Room were responses to the Tiki cultural fad.

This isn't a criticism. I just think it's also worthwhile to consider what influenced Imagineers beyond the idea of marketing Disney's own films, as well as the whole idea of corporate synergy that Walt Disney was a master of (i.e.: the Mine Train and the True-Life Adventures, Sleeping Beauty Castle predating the film, Tomorrowland in the park and on TV, Davy Crockett's stamp being all over Frontierland if not his self, etc.). It becomes a little more complex when we factor those things in.

Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post
    Right. Sourced material is anything that stretches outside the park, but not including history (Why Mark Twain Riverboat is counted as sourced, but Columbia and Lincoln is not). POTC was counted post-Disney simply because it went through a refurb to include characters that were not made in the park.

The Disney Gallery promoted Disney characters. The Walt Disney Story was the story behind a man (history). It did not try to immerse the viewer in a land of characters, but rather show them a documentary on a man who was behind their creation.
    More inconsistencies that show how complicated the sourcing issue is...

Tom Sawyer's Island is sourced, but the rafts to TSI are not?

On History...
    GM with Mr Lincoln, based on a historical figure, do not count as sourced. Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, based on a historical figure, do count as sourced - simply because Disney did some DC films.

It's a Small World stretches outside the park, since it was built for the World's Fair, so it should be counted as sourced.

And what about Dutch Boy, Crane Company, Monsanto... all stretch outside the park to corporations.

I too am not criticizing, but simply pointing out how complicated this really is.

• Banned User

I have to point out that Sleeping Beauty Castle actually predates the movie. Not sure if that effects things.

• Planning my next trip

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH MAUL View Post
    I have to point out that Sleeping Beauty Castle actually predates the movie. Not sure if that effects things.
    Sleeping Beauty a several hundred year old fable. I'd call that sourced material.

• -

It's a Small World stretches outside the park, since it was built for the World's Fair, so it should be counted as sourced.
    In it's original form, Small World was not sourced it was an original attraction. Just because it was designed for the World's Fair does not make it sourced.

It was only after Disney decided to change it from a message of peace sung by the children of the world to a game of "spot the hidden character" that it became sourced.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    In it's original form, Small World was not sourced it was an original attraction. Just because it was designed for the World's Fair does not make it sourced.

It was only after Disney decided to change it from a message of peace sung by the children of the world to a game of "spot the hidden character" that it became sourced.
    I was referring to the OP's additional definition:

Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post
    Right. Sourced material is anything that stretches outside the park, but not including history.
    IASW was originally built for the 1964 World's Fair - it stretches outside the park and is not based on history. So, its Disneyland incarnation would be considered sourced from the World's Fair original. Yet it is listed as original to Disneyland.

The OP doesn't even list it in the post-Disney era, but it would be considered sourced as you suggest.

The whole point is to show how murky and vague the whole definition of sourced is.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

The great thing about this list is that it's completely debatable and fluid. I never said this was a definite list, and rather posted this on here to share something interesting that the community could help alter and evolve. There may be missing attractions (like IASW not being on the Post-Disney list), or things that weren't sourced (Tom Sawyer's Rafts).

Speaking of sourcing, like Mojave and others have pointed out, it is a very complicated, murky, and vague process. Where is the line drawn as to what should be sourced and what shouldn't? This was a distinction that I had to make on my own, but in no way was I expecting my definition to be the finite one.

Let me try to explain further what I considered as a "source material": If the Imagineers were planning a coming attraction, and drew up something that relied on specific characters from pop culture to make the basis of the attraction, it could be considered "sourced". However, this doesn't include rides that were inspired by other things. I believe that this inspiration is too imbedded with the creative process in itself. Artists and creators borrow and get inspiration from each other constantly. J.K. Rowling was inspired to create many characters in her Harry Potter series from people she met in real life, as well as characters from other series. Yes, those characters could be considered source-based material, but as a whole, we would not call Harry Potter a source-based franchise. This then, by my definition, is why I would not call the Jungle Cruise a source-based attraction. Yes, you were boarding a boat to an attraction that was in many ways inspired by The African Queen, but you weren't boarding a boat that was going to take you through The African Queen.

Quite simply, if the majority of people got off the ride and had a feeling like they just were apart of something related to The African Queen, it would be sourced. But as I don't think that's true, I would just call it inspired. The same idea applies for other rides as well.

I genuinely did not know about the sourcing for the Mine Train. Thanks!

On the topic of history and sourcing, I sourced Davy Crockett because Disney was not drawing upon the historical Davy Crockett, but the one rooted in pop culture. Lincoln may never be rooted in pop culture because he is too associated with a sensitive topic in America's history. And even if there were to be a Hollywood film based on him, it would not fit the criteria to enter the realm of "pop culture", in my opinion. Davy Crockett on the other hand did enter the realm of pop culture. Other historical figures that did this are Blackbeard, Cleopatra, and Marie Antoinette. Generally, one has to be notorious for this to happen.

Finally, on what comes from "outside Disneyland", in reference to material sponsored by companies, IASW, and Carousel of Progress, I counted those as "original" because they were not reliant on pop culture. As for the those attractions featured in World Fairs, I figured they were made with an idea of Disneyland in mind (especially IASW), but if someone can dispute that, please let me know.
    Last edited by napeterson18; 01-14-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Photo Via jdhilger

• Banned User

I think you have a few incorrect:
    Matterhorn = Third man on the montain.
    Third Man on the Mountain (1959) - IMDb

Jungle Cruise = African Queen.

I would also say much of Frontierland was inspired by, if not directly tied to, a wide variety of Westerns that were popular at the time.

I would then call many of the sponsored attractions as sourced to their sponsor "Aluminum Hall of Fame" and "Monasanto Hall of Chemistry" to name but a few.

Should we attempt to weight the attractions? Flight Circle vs. Peter Pan?

Now, let's take a walk through Yesterland. How many of the attractions based on cartoons and thrills have been removed? How many of the "original", edutainmenty, and sophisticaed attractions that people continually pine for have been removed?

Disneyland is a business. Thrills and cartoons work. Original, edutainment and sophisticated soon grow stale and must be replaced.

And, one final comment.

In 1955 there had been, what? 10-15 full length animated features depending on whether you count compilations?

Of those, at opening walt had used:
    Snow, Pinoc, Dumbo, Toad, Alice, Pan.

We're now at, what? 51 + 12 Disney Pixar + stop motion (nightmare and james). I'm not even going to count the toon studios that were TV animators.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast