Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Finding Space below the Ground

Disneyland has found all sorts of tricks for maximizing its use of real estate. Few parts of Disneyland are situated underground, however.

There is potential for more subterranean development at Disneyland in order to increase capacity and further earnings growth.

http://www.subsurfacebuildings.com/default.asp

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Finding Space below the Ground

Great thread, I think that Disneyland could definitely benifit from subterranean develpoment, given the fact that it is such a small Park.
    When I was younger, I was always perplexed by Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Where was I, when I was on those attractions? I didn't realize that you never actually go underground on Haunted Mansion, but you definitely do on Pirates.
    Last edited by Circarama; 12-16-2005 at 09:53 PM.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Mr. Toad really goes to hell!?

Actually, with the right transport system in the queue, they could put the show building 1/4 mile outside the berm.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    I didn't realize that you never actually go underground on Haunted Mansion, but you definitely do on Pirates.
    YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!!!!! La-la-la-la, I'm not listening. You stay above ground. The Haunted Mansion actually takes you through that building and Pirates transports you to the bayou and down a magical waterfall. AND I WON'T HEAR IT ANY OTHER WAY!

Just messing around. I think it would be cool if Disney did start utilizing more underground space. I am intrigued by the idea of using transportation in the queue to take people to show buildings outside the berm...very interesting.

• =)

Vertical space is definitely underrated. Even just sinking a taller building into the ground will save a lot of space, even if it's not fully "submerged."

Case in point: Indiana Jones. I don't know how many of you have actually seen the track layout for that ride, but it's ridiculously convoluted in all three dimensions. The track passes above and below itself on numerous occasions, and hardly anyone knows or cares. Space would be a lot more limited if the ride stayed on one level the whole time.

So I say WDI should build a tall, partly underground show building where the Festival of Fools arena is now. There'd be a lot of room for a new Frontierland E-ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Actually, with the right transport system in the queue, they could put the show building 1/4 mile outside the berm.
    That's kinda what they did with Indy, but instead of a ride vehicle, they make you walk. Thank you Paul Pressler!
    Transportation thru a queue to outside the berm would be a great way to expand Park capacity without the guests knowing that they were no longer inside the Park. Heck, they've already done it with Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Indy, Splash and Small World!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister
    Vertical space is definitely underrated. Even just sinking a taller building into the ground will save a lot of space, even if it's not fully "submerged."

Case in point: Indiana Jones. I don't know how many of you have actually seen the track layout for that ride, but it's ridiculously convoluted in all three dimensions. The track passes above and below itself on numerous occasions, and hardly anyone knows or cares. Space would be a lot more limited if the ride stayed on one level the whole time.

So I say WDI should build a tall, partly underground show building where the Festival of Fools arena is now. There'd be a lot of room for a new Frontierland E-ticket.
    Yeah like some kind of mine shaft drop. Think Tower of Terror underground and themed to the Old West!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Great thread, I think that Disneyland could definitely benifit from subterranean develpoment, given the fact that it is such a small Park.
    When I was younger, I was always perplexed by Pirates and Haunted Mansion. Where was I, when I was on those attractions? I didn't realize that you never actually go underground on Haunted Mansion, but you definitely do on Pirates.
    Ah, but Haunted Mansion DOES take you underground. You most certainly are below ground level after the stretching room, and you absolutely travel under the train tracks and small hill behind the mansion on your journey. Not to mention coming back up to ground level when you exit the crypt at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Ah, but Haunted Mansion DOES take you underground. You most certainly are below ground level after the stretching room, and you absolutely travel under the train tracks and small hill behind the mansion on your journey. Not to mention coming back up to ground level when you exit the crypt at the end.
    All true. But contrast that to thinking that you are somewhere under Disneyland proper, like under the walkway in front of HM and the Rivers of America(which is what I assumed). When I was a kid, I didn't know where I was. I had no idea that I was inside a big metal building outside of Disneyland's berm.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    I thought that too, but technically, you don't. Remember, All of New Orleans Square is built above ground. When you come out of the Stretching room, you are actually at the same level that when you are passing trough the tunnels to enter Main Street.
    I have a dream
    A song to sing
    To help me cope
    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
    of a FairyTale
    You can take the future
    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in Angels
    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

• =)

^ He's right, you know. It all depends on your definition of "underground." Yes, the HM queue takes you under the ground, but not below the level of the surrounding land.

Now, where in the park do you travel uphill to get to NOS? How do you end up above ground level? The path from Adventureland goes down and then up again, but it seems to me like you go more down then up.

Indy and HM both do two things that no other DL ride really does: They use the queue to actually get you somewhere (rather than just hold people in a line), and they use the queue as part of the attraction. On Indy, most people never dream that the queue takes them around the Jungle Cruise river and out past the berm. On the Haunted Mansion, most people don't think about where they are, either. And both rides use the queue for entertainment--the show starts as soon as you enter the temple or the mansion, respectively.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Are we counting the elevator room as part of the queue? Because I always considered it part of the ride. The queue is the court part, and works as a giant holding pen since only so many people can enter they foyer at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Are we counting the elevator room as part of the queue? Because I always considered it part of the ride. The queue is the court part, and works as a giant holding pen since only so many people can enter they foyer at one time.
    You're right, I would have to say that the only attraction that actually uses the queue as a means to get under the berm is Indy.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Disneyland addict

Yeah like some kind of mine shaft drop. Think Tower of Terror underground and themed to the Old West!
    Actually ToT does go underground, a cast member told me when you board your actually not at the bottom of the shaft. There are about 4 floors underground to allow you to drop 13 stories w/out the building being that tall.

• Silent Lucidity

Remember that scene for "National Treasure" where they are in that shaft with all the old wooden ladders and platforms falling apart. When we first saw that picture, we thought that would someday be incorporated into a ride. It was a disney flick, right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast