Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading a Park Hopper Ticket to an AP

Hi All, I'll soon be heading to Disneyland, I will be purchasing a 3 day park hopper. The trip is pretty spur the moment, and I already had a trip planed for later in the year, and possibly another. With all these trips planned, it will be cheaper if I just get an AP. If I so chose, how would I go about upgrading my park hopper to an Annual pass? Is that even an option? I've heard it mentioned before, but I'm not sure if you can actually do it. If so, does it need to be done before all three days have been used? If I chose not to use one of the three days, could that day be credited towards an AP? I rarely get to go to DL, so these things are foreign to me. Also, the park hopper was purchased at a discount through AAA, will I need to pay the difference? Any help would be appreciated!

• Minion

Re: Upgrading a Park Hopper Ticket to an AP

Go to a ticket booth before the end of the third visit to upgrade to an AP. The full value of the park hopper ticket will be applied to the purchase of an AP but you will have to pay the difference.

• Banned User

I like to buy an hopper on-line and print out the certificate. Take the paper directly to the turnstile. They will scan the paper and the turnstile will print out your multi-day ticket.

On or before the last day, use the hopper to get into the park and take it to the AP processing center. They will know exactly how much you paid, and the first day you used it. They will take that amount of money off the price of the AP, then backdate the expiration date to the first day of use.

They may ask a couple questions, like what day you first used the pass and which park you went into first, just to ensure you are the person that first used the ticket and didn't buy a partially used tick just to get the discount.

Pay the difference between the hopper price and the AP price.

Take your picture, get your AP. Done.

Even if one of the days you used the hopper would have been a block-out for the pass you are buying, no problem. I've done it before. Sat DAP blocked... Buy the hopper, use it Fri-Sat-Sun, then upgrade to DAP on Sunday after having used it Saturday. Better than upgrading on Fri and being blocked on Sat.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dshimel View Post
    I like to buy an hopper on-line and print out the certificate. Take the paper directly to the turnstile. They will scan the paper and the turnstile will print out your multi-day ticket.

On or before the last day, use the hopper to get into the park and take it to the AP processing center. They will know exactly how much you paid, and the first day you used it. They will take that amount of money off the price of the AP, then backdate the expiration date to the first day of use.

They may ask a couple questions, like what day you first used the pass and which park you went into first, just to ensure you are the person that first used the ticket and didn't buy a partially used tick just to get the discount.

Pay the difference between the hopper price and the AP price.

Take your picture, get your AP. Done.

Even if one of the days you used the hopper would have been a block-out for the pass you are buying, no problem. I've done it before. Sat DAP blocked... Buy the hopper, use it Fri-Sat-Sun, then upgrade to DAP on Sunday after having used it Saturday. Better than upgrading on Fri and being blocked on Sat.
    Both AP processing centers are closed. Go to any ticket booth.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by F!an View Post
    Both AP processing centers are closed. Go to any ticket booth.
    yep. booths only now.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'm going to do it for sure now. The only problem was the ticket was purchased in a bundle with a hotel, so I'm not sure exactly how much I spent on the ticket specifically. They will know how much I spent just by scanning it?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

The AP processing center was nice because you could get everything done at once.
    Now have to go to the ticket booths.
    Get your Plastic Card (AP pass)
    Then you need to find a Photo Pass person and get your picture taken.
    They no longer print your picture on your pass, however, it still comes up when you get your pass scanned at the booths.
    If you ask different people, you'll get different answers on why the picture isn't on the pass.
    Last year I almost didn't renew. Almost before the year was up, I did.
    Since I hadn't been a year yet, my photo was still in the system (luckily).
    I spoke to two different people about the process (Guest Relations in DCA) and the ticket booth rep.
    One said no photo so people can't use the AP pass as ID outside of Disneyland.
    Another said the photo wasn't on the pass so if someone found it (your pass), they couldn't figure who you are and track you down (something like that).

If you not ready to jump through hoops and just want to enjoy time in the park,
    they'll scan your temp ticket at the booths. You'll get a new temp ticket and you can use it during the day. I believe you have 3 days (ask first) to trade the temp ticket (once scanned at the gate) in your plastic AP pass. Do watch what expiration date they put on your pass. Luckily my ticket rep was paying attention. I when I paid for my pass online, I did it a month before going to the park. My pass almost had the purchase date on it. Luckily he saw this and changed it to first day in the park (which was my original expiration date).

Your A/P is also your Photo Pass Card now.

Off topic: Love CM Husband's signature photo. Most don't know about that "Hidden Mickey" in TOT. Saw it about 3 yrs ago.
    Last edited by DLFreak71; 01-15-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

yes, they will know the price and u will just pay the difference go on ur third day if one of the days are blocked out on the pass u are buying. If none of the days are block out u can upgrade ur hopper to annual pass any of the days.

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Then you need to find a Photo Pass person and get your picture taken.
    They no longer print your picture on your pass, however, it still comes up when you get your pass scanned at the booths.
    Are those the CM's that offer to take your picture in front of the caste and other places throughout the park? Is having a picture loaded to my "account" necessary before I can use the AP? I think I'll mostly likely just upgrade the pass on my first day so I can use the discounts. If i don't get my photo taken will I not be able to use the pass until i do so? Also, I seem to remember hearing talk of being able to upload your own photo from online?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland55 View Post
    Are those the CM's that offer to take your picture in front of the caste and other places throughout the park? Is having a picture loaded to my "account" necessary before I can use the AP? I think I'll mostly likely just upgrade the pass on my first day so I can use the discounts. If i don't get my photo taken will I not be able to use the pass until i do so? Also, I seem to remember hearing talk of being able to upload your own photo from online?
    Yes, those are the CM's.

I don't think you can upload/change your photo online.
    I don't think Disney would be that crazy to allow that.
    I see big misuse if they allowed it.

I don't know how long you have until a photo has to be attached to your pass.
    I would ask when you're at the park.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71 View Post
    Yes, those are the CM's.

I don't think you can upload/change your photo online.
    I don't think Disney would be that crazy to allow that.
    I see big misuse if they allowed it.

I don't know how long you have until a photo has to be attached to your pass.
    I would ask when you're at the park.
    responding to a different question - the reason they don't have photos on the passes anymore is so they don't need to resend AP'ers new passes every year - 1 million passes printed and distributed is expensive - Moving forward you will keep your same pass when you renew.

You must get your photo taken the first day of pass use - or the pass will be blocked next time you go to the park.

When the no picture passes first came out they were letting people upload their own pictures, change them even - That experiment failed and you can no longer do that.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    When the no picture passes first came out they were letting people upload their own pictures, change them even - That experiment failed and you can no longer do that.
    Shocked they even allowed it.
    By allowing people to change photo's, that totally opens the door to misuse.
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

You must get your photo taken the first day of pass use - or the pass will be blocked next time you go to the park.
    Good to know. When I find the photopass cm do I just let them know I need a picture for my AP?

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyland55 View Post
    Good to know. When I find the photopass cm do I just let them know I need a picture for my AP?
    Yes.
    You will give them your plastic A/P pass.
    They will scan it
    and then it will attach your photo to your account.
    Quote by Al:
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

responding to a different question - the reason they don't have photos on the passes anymore is so they don't need to resend AP'ers new passes every year - 1 million passes printed and distributed is expensive - Moving forward you will keep your same pass when you renew.
    This still doesn't make sense. Take the expiration date off, leave the pic on. Its not like you took a new pic each year (my pic is from 9 years ago.) Yes, kids would need a new pass every few years, but 90% don't. My son had the same pic from 9yo to 16. I don't buy the pic caused them to have to send a new AP and caused this mess. I don't like having to carry my ID with me in the park.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast