Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• "Retired" DL Tour Guide

MIKE AND SULLY TO THE RESCUE - Ride-Through Details!

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

The imagineering team held an "unofficial" preview today for the cast! Kevin Rafferty was overseeing the interactive Roz system, and Kim Irvine was acting as the pulser! These are my impressions of the queue and the attraction:

The queue is obviously lifted from SSL (Superstar Limo), however, it has now been repainted in an off-white and grey color scheme theming it to a bus stop or airport with signs directing you to the "taxi stand" (the loading area). There is also a large Harry Hausen's menu posted in the queue. Once on board your yellow and black (checkerboard) taxi, you pull up to the starting zone which features a "dont stalk/stalk" street sign set under a convincing freeway overpass with the glistening city of monstropolis looming in the distant twilight. The ride begins in the same LOOOOOOOONG tunnel seen in SSL (no change). The video screens in the "taxis" flash on welcoming you to monstropolis and, as the announcer starts to explain some of the city's highlites, he is interrupted by a breaking news story...yep, you guessed it -- a human child is loose in the city! Here, you exit the tunnel and the video screen snaps off, never to reactivate. What follows this is a series of rooms and scenes showcasing boo's rush to beat Randal Boggs to the scare floor at Monsters Inc. and home. Some of the highlights of the ride are as follows:

-The second scene in the ride takes place inside Harry Hausens. The scene includes a distinct ginger scnet that's likely "powered" by the same scent/smell technology found in other attractions at DCA.

-The bathroom/locker room scene includes an interesting effect where randal appears and disappears from top to bottom. It appears to be very similar to the blue fairy effect at the end of the Pinnocchio dark ride at DL.

-In one of the "door archive" rooms, your taxi drives right in front of several hanging doors that feature large projection screens. It appears that any of these six doors can open randomly. I can confirm that one of these doors has icicles on it and opens to the icy banished area where the yeti lives!

-The seconnt-to-final scene features the long-anticipated "color changing randal" that's being beaten by Boo (yes, she is weilding a bat!). Unfortunately, the figure was not working when I rode the attraction...but it looks like it's gonna be great!

-The final scene features some kind of image capture, and a fully-interactive Roz animatronic that talks to your car. There is actually a CM who does the Roz voice (ala Crush in the Animation building or Stitch in Innoventions) and views your car from a camera located in the animatronic's eye!

All-in-all, the attraction has some decent re-playability (I can't wait to ride it again in it's completed form) and makes for a strong C ticket. It's a deffinite improvement over SSL.

That's about all I can remember off-hand. If anyone has specific questions about the attraction (which was about 95% complete at the time I rode), please post them and I'll respond with whatever info I have.
    Last edited by AP2CM; 12-16-2005 at 11:18 PM.
    -"We can see a new horizon...built on all that we have done..and our dreams begin another thousand circles 'round the sun!"
    -- Epcot: Illuminations "Reflections of Earth"

-"...Each dream that you chase, each wish you embrace can lead to a fabulous faraway place...!"
    --DCA: World Of Color

Re: I RODE MIKE AND SULLY TO THE RESCUE TODAY! Ride-Through Details!

It was a cute attraction. I was most impressed with the dissappearing Randal, and the two seemingly endless room of doors. The Roz figure seemed to be on autopilot, since it blathered on the same thing over and over again, and some animatronics were not fully operational, such as the monitors on my taxi didn't ever come on- but thats expected for a preview that is not open to guests yet (no word on when that will be yet, but probably soon).
    But I still liked it. The sets were lush and the figures looked beautiful, the cars move at a very slow pace so you are able to soak it in.

The ride shall be a fine addition to DCA, and while theming it is a stretch for the area, I think the tone fits well with Muppets in such a close proximity, and hopefully it can turn Hollywood into more of a family area, rather than just a place to walk through to get to Aladdin/ToT.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Heard about this from DLCM today, he didn't make it, but I did hear from others that we will have soft opening for the public for the Holiday Season. Thanks for the info!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks so much for all the info cant wait to ride it

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

It sounds amazing!!! This is what DCA needs, a good family ride!!! So excited... for a video that is, I live so far away

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Senior Minion

Thanks so very much for the info and how you saw it very good details and it sounds like a new positive revival of that area. I have to agree with you Mr Mainstreet.
    That area of DCA will finally get that much needed use. I'm excited for DCA!

Are they using any extra floor space of the Millionaire Building to add on to Monster's to accomodate this, or is it just the SSL pathways only?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: MIKE AND SULLY TO THE RESCUE - Ride-Through Details!

Quote Originally Posted by AP2CM
    I can confirm that one of these doors has icicles on it and opens to the icy banished area where the yeti lives!
    Are we talking about the Matterhorn here? I think there'd be nothing more suprising in this ride than a door opening and then "AHHHROOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUGH"

"Sorry, wrong door." *click*

• Iron-Clad Allie

AP2CM, I know that the cars do not travel any faster than the previous ride - but does it feel like you are traveling quicker due to the motion going on around you?

• Infinitized!

The ride may be good and a good adition to DCA, however, how does it fit into the Hollywood theme of that area? If it was up to me, I would have put in an updated version of "The Great Movie Ride" from Florida. It would be perfect for the park and a great addition since the nearby Movieland Wax Museum shut down about a month ago. In my opinion, Monster's Inc. should have gone into Paradise Pier as this area definitely needs a dark ride.

• insufferable know-it-all

Yeah, because DCA needs another movie like...

(yeah, I know, movie themed RIDE, but man, DCA has too much "movie" about it already)

Glad to hear this is turning out to be a decent attraction!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Disney Nerd

i had the chance to run myself and my trainees over to check it out today. while we all had a good time, and i know that it's not done yet, i was still somewhat disappointed. with all of the talk that has been going on about this attraction i didnt expect it to be a SSL layover, which is basically what it is. same track, same cars, same tunnel, same tvs, same camera at the end, same character talking to you (even though roz is going to be all up and interactive by the time our soft openings and family previews come around before opening) i still felt like it was just a kinda coll overlay of a ride that was crap to begin with. it doesnt seem like that much effort was put into....maybe i'll feel different when it's @ 100% but that was just my opinion of today's ride.

i must say though...the queue looks great! nice detail....so no complaints there

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Well, Disney did it. Now I have to go back to see what you are all talking about. Those people at Diz are amazing, aren't they? It's almost like a mind-control device or something.

Good or no, my curiosity if peaked, that's for sure. Thanks for the info.

Peace out this holiday,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I never went on SSL, so this attraction will be all new to me(funny how life is like that; no point of reference, hence no disappointment )
    Anywho, it looks like the Mrs. and I might be making a trip to the Park for the 27th and 28th, so I hope they have a soft openeing so we could check it out!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Half the people who go to the DLR never went on SSL and the other half probably doesn't even remeber that well. I rode SSL and to me this doesn't seem at all like an overlay. In some ways yes it does but it most ways it doesn't. Well I'll save my judgement till I actually get to ride it.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Why would you change a perfectly good building or track? So what, it uses the building... Wow, it's got different sets, a different story, and different characters!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast